Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Arishtat posted:

If your DC is running NT 4.0 what are you running on the clients?

Windows for Workgroups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Veskit posted:

I also had my director comment that I effectively didn't have enough flare in my office once, so now I grow plants and have pictures and posters up. Context dude, context.

Please tell me that your conversation with the director went like that scene from office space.

(Try as I might, I couldn't find a full video of the entire scene)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I can see it in a machine shop. We have an xp box handling our CNC machines to push programs to them and I know they want to replace it but the software is pretty restricted on what we can run it on from what our It says. That and our machines range from 30 to 5 years old so some are pretty pissy about what they will work with.

Right now on my end I am working with IT to figure out why two of my EDM machines can read and copy files from the main server made for them but I can't copy files off the machines to the drive to pull backups from my machines. Apparently windows NT 4 doesn't like windows servers above 2008 period. Been a fun little experiment so far. These our my two most problematic machines two machine wise so why not make the software side even more of a pain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ConfusedUs posted:

Don't suppose you have that testing one in a larger size do you?

http://www.madebydelta.com/imported/images/DELTA_Web/documents/Ax/P-T-axiom-0707-uk.pdf

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in.

Customer server is very slow and needs me to look into it.

After some investigation, looks like their SBS server is badly infected with viruses and malware, including at least one bitcoin miner. It looks like its all being caused by the administrator account which we don't have access to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in.

After some investigation, looks like their SBS server is badly infected with viruses and malware, including at least one bitcoin miner. It looks like its all being caused by the administrator account which we don't have access to.

Sounds like entrapment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in.

Double the memory and add a top of the line video card.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

This is going to be the only thing I have up on the walls in my office. I'm also printing it out letter size.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Crazy pizza dropoff guy came by to pick up his computer, tried to get me to slash the price down lower/do free service for him in like 5 different ways, then on his way out the door took like 6 of the pens we have on the front desk.

What the gently caress dude, come on. You are why we can't have nice things.

e: aaaand I'm pretty sure he just got his wife to try to leave us a threatening voice mail or something. :psyduck:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 15, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know if any of you have had the displeasure of working with a company called Deloitte but they have the worst loving support in the world. All tickets are immediately bounced back to desk side and the one person that does reply to questions is both an idiot and barely speaks English.

Example: their lovely software crashes our lovely old version of Internet explorer. They send some basic instructions to get it fixed that don't work and were designed for XP.

"Hey we did the cache clearing you asked us to do but we can't change any other IE8 settings due to security policy."
"Upgrade user to IE9"
"We can't because its not approved for use with any of our other software."
"Change the following settings in IE8"
"They're locked down."
"It is a problem with windows not us"

This basic exchange has occurred every day for nearly two weeks while there ticket gets kicked back and forth.

Fix your poo poo assholes. :argh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't know man, if they are asking you to change settings in IE8 to fix their stuff, and you can't change those settings, it's you and not them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Great Beer posted:

I don't know if any of you have had the displeasure of working with a company called Deloitte but they have the worst loving support in the world. All tickets are immediately bounced back to desk side and the one person that does reply to questions is both an idiot and barely speaks English.

Example: their lovely software crashes our lovely old version of Internet explorer. They send some basic instructions to get it fixed that don't work and were designed for XP.

"Hey we did the cache clearing you asked us to do but we can't change any other IE8 settings due to security policy."
"Upgrade user to IE9"
"They're locked down."

This basic exchange has occurred every day for nearly two weeks while there ticket gets kicked back and forth.

There's a guy at Deloitte who's saying the same thing, about you.

"We told him how to fix it and he just kicks the ticket back! FIX YOUR poo poo rear end in a top hat :argh:"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Every single setting in IE is set and unchangeable by group policy. I can't change security levels, I can't change trusted sites, I can't even change the home page. I can clear the browsing history/cache and add/remove plugins. That's it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a guy at Deloitte who's saying the same thing, about you.

"We told him how to fix it and he just kicks the ticket back! FIX YOUR poo poo rear end in a top hat :argh:"

Yeah, without more information on this it sounds like they are providing you with steps for fixing the problem and you're throwing up roadblocks. You're more or less asking them to submit dev time to fix a problem with your corporate structure.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Great Beer posted:

Every single setting in IE is set and unchangeable by group policy. I can't change security levels, I can't change trusted sites, I can't even change the home page. I can clear the browsing history/cache and add/remove plugins. That's it.

Then you escalate it up to your guys who can make the changes. They can be the ones to decide if this app, whatever it is, is important enough to change policy for.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The problem is that it works must of the time, but there's about 40 people getting this issue intermittently. The fix they have is to clear the cache and add the site to trusted sites, which its already in.

But it doesn't really matter how sorry and out of date our corporate structure is. They signed a contact to have their software support ie8, they should support it and not pretend they aren't responsible.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Dick Trauma posted:

This is going to be the only thing I have up on the walls in my office. I'm also printing it out letter size.

It's totally not getting printed on our plotters, nope, pure coincidence.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

The problem is that it works must of the time, but there's about 40 people getting this issue intermittently. The fix they have is to clear the cache and add the site to trusted sites, which its already in.

But it doesn't really matter how sorry and out of date our corporate structure is. They signed a contact to have their software support ie8, they should support it and not pretend they aren't responsible.

They are supporting IE8. They told you the settings to change, you're just not following their instructions. Whether or not *you* have the ability to or not is not their problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're trying to support IE8, but you won't do anything about the GPO settings that you're using. If they said they would make their software work on IE8 with whatever setting you happen to have set then that's a different matter.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

They're trying to support IE8, but you won't do anything about the GPO settings that you're using. If they said they would make their software work on IE8 with whatever setting you happen to have set then that's a different matter.

I seem to be describing the situation poorly. The extent of the instructions i was given is as follows:

They want me to put this website into IEs trusted sites. It's already in there. I cannot remove and readd it on the off chance 40 computers has the same registry corruption. The other half of their instructions is to clear the browser cache, which I can do and did.

Their fixes do not work. When I tell them this they ask me to do things that I cannot do like use unsupported software or "fix windows". This has been going back and forth for two weeks and is making me irrationally angry.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

I seem to be describing the situation poorly. The extent of the instructions i was given is as follows:

They want me to put this website into IEs trusted sites. It's already in there. I cannot remove and readd it on the off chance 40 computers has the same registry corruption. The other half of their instructions is to clear the browser cache, which I can do and did.

Their fixes do not work. When I tell them this they ask me to do things that I cannot do like use unsupported software or "fix windows". This has been going back and forth for two weeks and is making me irrationally angry.

Well in this case there are two things you can do.

1. Perform the fix they are requesting on one system. Get your Level 2 involved, throw it into a newly created OU that is outside of your GPO restrictions. If it works then you know what to do.
2. Escalate to your management in order to get their management involved. It sounds like you're lower rung on the totem pole so you're going to need to bring in bigger guns.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Word has gotten around the office that I know of some mystical way to retreive deleted poo poo (I know how to look for shadow copies). Guy came up to me today because someone's moved a super important file from one of the network shares. Sorry buddy, that share is hosted on a Server 2003 box and nobody's turned them on. :(

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

SourceElement posted:

Please tell me that your conversation with the director went like that scene from office space.

(Try as I might, I couldn't find a full video of the entire scene)

He'd always walk by my desk, stop, and go "What is different about your desk, hrmmmmmmmm. You need to put some things up on your desk everyone else's is so decorated and it looks like you're ready to leave at any point!" He did this like 4 times so I gave up and instead of the one thing of flare I had up on my desk I put up other things.

Not quite, but same sort of effect.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

m.hache posted:

Well in this case there are two things you can do.

1. Perform the fix they are requesting on one system. Get your Level 2 involved, throw it into a newly created OU that is outside of your GPO restrictions. If it works then you know what to do.
2. Escalate to your management in order to get their management involved. It sounds like you're lower rung on the totem pole so you're going to need to bring in bigger guns.

3. Tell them you completed the troubleshooting steps and let them come back with a different thing to try.
4. Edit the registry directly and let the GPO recreate the settings.
5. Recreate the user's profile on the machine.
6. Spin up a VM to test with and recreate the problem in a non restricted environment.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 16, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Veskit posted:

He'd always walk by my desk, stop, and go "What is different about your desk, hrmmmmmmmm. You need to put some things up on your desk everyone else's is so decorated and it looks like you're ready to leave at any point!" He did this like 4 times so I gave up and instead of the one thing of flare I had up on my desk I put up other things.

Not quite, but same sort of effect.

"I stream all my desk decorations live from the internet."

Edit: I had a "Works on My Machine" sunburst thing on my cube wall at one point (developer).

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

I have this up over my desk:

No one ever tells me I need more flair.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Jedi425 posted:

I have this up over my desk:

No one ever tells me I need more flair.

My colleague needs this in their lives.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Veskit posted:

I also had my director comment that I effectively didn't have enough flare in my office once, so now I grow plants and have pictures and posters up. Context dude, context.
You should have taken him at his word and set out some road flares.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

ConfusedUs posted:

The last photo studio I worked for had its server room in the basement, in a closet about 8'x4', door on the skinny end, and (being an old-rear end building whose basement wasn't entirely sealed) had the drainage system in there. Room was perpetually damp, to the point that condensation was on EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME.

Their poo poo kept breaking and they "just couldn't figure it out". lol

Back when I was working for IBM, I went around the state of Utah replacing servers for various businesses. I've ... seen things. At one bank, their server rack was in a concrete basement with a giant crack through the floor. A crack over a foot wide. There was running water under this crack, and it was brown, and smelled like poo poo. The server rack straddled that crack, with its little consumer-grade UPS practically dangling right over it.

Another, also a bank, their server "room" was literally a coat closet that was open to the main floor of the bank, as in any customer could walk in there and hit a power button. If they could get past the coats, which you actually had to push your way through to get to the server rack. When I visited it was the middle of winter, and 20 layers or so of winter coat managed to hold in the heat so nicely that I had to walk out every minute or so just to breath.

Less horrifying but just mildly interesting, at yet another bank, when I came out of the server room after an upgrade, several people were crying and the front doors were locked. They had been robbed by "the drive through bandit" while I'd been completely oblivious. It was fun waiting for the FBI to get there so I could provide a statement, and it was a good thing it was a federal crime and not local because I had warrants out at the time. I was terrified the FBI were going to look it up and care, but they did neither.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JosephSkunk posted:

Back when I was working for IBM, I went around the state of Utah replacing servers for various businesses. I've ... seen things. At one bank, their server rack was in a concrete basement with a giant crack through the floor. A crack over a foot wide. There was running water under this crack, and it was brown, and smelled like poo poo. The server rack straddled that crack, with its little consumer-grade UPS practically dangling right over it.

The drainage hole I spoke of? We called it the "pee hole" because the owner, who was too fat and lazy to walk upstairs to the actual bathrooms, would routinely piss in it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A critical ticket came in :siren: IT'S AFFECTING FINANCE :siren:

User manually upgraded their ticket from Medium to Critical.

Yeah no. If you were anyone other than finance, I would lower your priority to low in a heartbeat. I'm nice, though, so I'll only lower you priority to high. BY SO HELP ME YOU ARE ON MY poo poo LIST

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Migishu posted:

SO HELP ME YOU ARE ON MY poo poo LIST

Sometimes I want to answer a call with this line.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

I can fit this on an A4.

I will fit this on an A4!

E: I actually could fit it on an A4, it's even readable too.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 18, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Great Beer posted:

"Upgrade user to IE9"
"They're locked down."

Hey, I work for deloitte. Which software? Hell, which country?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Isn't Deloitte kinda like KPMG in that all their divisions are all loosely related but separate kingdoms?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Isn't Deloitte kinda like KPMG in that all their divisions are all loosely related but separate kingdoms?

Used to be, but it's changing (mostly to reduce costs).

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Crowley posted:

I can fit this on an A4.

I will fit this on an A4!

E: I actually could fit it on an A4, it's even readable too.

Readable with a microscope?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Another Monday and another new employee that HR forgot to tell us was starting.

No matter how much I bring it up to them or the COO it apparently does nothing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

When that happens, do they stick around with a thumb up their rear end (and get paid for it) until you guys get everything set up, or are they sent back with a "welp, check back tomorrow".

Bonus points if it counts against their sick days/PTO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HardDisk posted:

When that happens, do they stick around with a thumb up their rear end (and get paid for it) until you guys get everything set up, or are they sent back with a "welp, check back tomorrow".

Bonus points if it counts against their sick days/PTO.

Thumb up the rear end route until either they (if they're a returning employee) come find us or their PM goes on the warpath about WHY ISN'T THIS PERSON SET UP.

Thank god I have a cache of laptops so I can get them running decently quickly but it makes us look like idiots.

• Locked thread