Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

thehacker0 posted:

Is it really worth it to do so, given the hit your irating would take once you graduate to whatever C class ovals you head to next?

No matter what you do, your iRating will always normal back up to where you are supposed to be. Get up to D4.0 and start racing Indy. Once you learn the car and get some clean races in, your iRating will come back.

Lord Crapulus posted:

So far the combination of CotA and the L79 has led to one spiked and broken headset. loving slow corners and pyramids.

To be fair, the scanned it during ALMS or WEC or whatever and it has those stupid pyramids. They really should offer different options or change the pyramids to something that works for open wheel cars as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

So far the combination of CotA and the L79 has led to one spiked and broken headset. loving slow corners and pyramids.

Why the gently caress are you not racing the DW12?! :doh:

Seriously it's incredible

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Admittedly I didn't give it much of a shot, but when I was doing some week 13 testing at Mid-Ohio, I couldn't drive the drat thing. Also I think I don't have enough buttons for all the in-car adjustments. I might look at it again for next season, but right now I'm thinking I'll either stay in the 79 or get really stupid and try the FW31.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Lord Crapulus posted:

Also I think I don't have enough buttons for all the in-car adjustments.

Yeah, if I were going to run that car in an open series, I'd want to have a wheel plate or button box.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Goddamn some (most) rookie drivers piss me off. Had my first pole just now at Charlotte street stocks, and lead for 15 laps. The guy who was drafting me the whole race poked his nose in on the inside line, when i was clearly on it, and spun me getting me a 6x and taking the win. My best finish so far, but still really drat frustrating.

Do you just have to defend the hell out of the inside line on the start/finish triangle-thing?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yep. Go low, stay low.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Street stocks on charlotte doesn't require driving any kind of line to be fast. Just hug that inside yellow line the entire time and no one will be able to pass unless to drop onto the apron and then you can protest them when they spin you out.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Why starting from pits is suggested:

http://gfycat.com/AdeptDeliciousArachnid

edit: This was after I got rear ended not 10 seconds after starting the pace lap. The pace lap.

Cage fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 16, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My worst was someone in the default gray car mashing the gas before the pace lap started. He spun into the wall instantly.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Cage posted:

Why starting from pits is suggested:

http://gfycat.com/AdeptDeliciousArachnid

edit: This was after I got rear ended not 10 seconds after starting the pace lap. The pace lap.

Oh yea its definitely the way to get easy SR. My main issue with it is that it's just a lot less fun. However, I think its worth it in order to grind to D 4.0 and get some good races in C class. I just ran my first pit lane start, and finished easily in 7th place. There is definitely still some risk

Cojawfee posted:

My worst was someone in the default gray car mashing the gas before the pace lap started. He spun into the wall instantly.
A few races back, I started in 6th. The guy behind me on the inside lane rear-ended me then slammed into the guy next to him on the outside lane, causing a few more 4x's all on the form-up lap. He got out relatively scott free, and drafted behind me for a while. Mid way through the race he tried to pass me on the outside on one of the corners and dove straight into me, spinning both of us into the wall. Some rookie drivers are incompetent and others are just genuine douches

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 16, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

thehacker0 posted:

Oh yea its definitely the way to get easy SR. My main issue with it is that it's just a lot less fun. However, I think its worth it in order to grind to D 4.0 and get some good races in C class. I just ran my first pit lane start, and finished easily in 7th place. There is definitely still some risk
Oh yeah Ill never start from the pits, I was the purple car in the gif so I just had a good laugh from all that. Just made me think of this thread and the suggestion of doing it.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
iRacing still has the best crash physics, and I still love making stupid videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqmvb7NEws

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ManicJason posted:

iRacing still has the best crash physics, and I still love making stupid videos.

loving bravo. Got a good laugh at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The best part is the idiots who drive under the guy flipping around the track and nearly get hit, then the guy that does get hit. I'm sure he was whining about the guy flipping around causing a collision.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ManicJason posted:

You missed out on Crashcar last night. Ohsh and the rest of the race got to see my DW12 crash for over a minute plus. I'll have to put it on YouTube tonight.

simble
May 11, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The best part is the idiots who drive under the guy flipping around the track and nearly get hit, then the guy that does get hit. I'm sure he was whining about the guy flipping around causing a collision.

Let me ruin it. I was the guy flipping, it was in an open practice and the dudes trying to hit me were goons.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Do tire and brake temperatures from the 5 minute warm up session before the race carry over to the start of the race? I've been avoiding the warm up sessions oftentimes because of the increased risk of morons crashing into you in rookie races, but wondering if I should be out there getting temps up in the tires/brakes

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

As far as I can tell, it has no effect.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

As far as I can tell, it has no effect.

This. I typically avoid the warmups in order to reduce the likelihood of morons, but it is useful to double-check your setup and make sure you're not in qualifying trim to start.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I'm on a D Licence for road course series currently, so when I enter a race in Mazda Cup or Production Challenge I get a message telling me the race is below my licence level and does not count towards promotion.

However, once I've finished the race my iRating and my Licence score have changed according to my result (either for the better or for the worse), what's going on here?

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Helicon One posted:

I'm on a D Licence for road course series currently, so when I enter a race in Mazda Cup or Production Challenge I get a message telling me the race is below my licence level and does not count towards promotion.

However, once I've finished the race my iRating and my Licence score have changed according to my result (either for the better or for the worse), what's going on here?

I've never gotten that message, or at least haven't notices it, and am in the same situation as you are. I'm currently grinding street stocks in oval to skip over D class, and driving production challenge on my D class road license, as well as learning the skippys. You can definitely progress your SR through rookie, and I think irating as well

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Helicon One posted:

SR and iRating are affected by any official race, not just ones in your license category. Otherwise I could go slumming in D-level races and give no fucks about wrecking everyone.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Right after I hit D, I bought the skippy and the upcoming tracks. It was one of the series I was excited about when I decided to give iracing a shot. Then I took it for a spin... Goddamn it was hard to handle. Tried slowing down and getting a feel for the circuit I was on (donnington, which seems like a pretty tough circuit for the first time in an open wheel racer). Still couldn't handle it worth a poo poo.

I got a bit frustrated, and gave up for a day or two and races some ovals. I came back to it today on some familiar tracks and with some patience. All I can saw is wow. It's so much fun to drive and not super difficult after some practice. Can't wait to start racing it in a few days after some more time behind the wheel - I can absolutely see why everyone loves the car so much

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's definitely a car you have to drive around a bit then step away from and go back to. That's how I learned it. I got in it, drove around Road Atlanta and it was terrible. I regretted buying such a lovely car, how could anyone like it. Then I got back in the next day and was a hundred times better at it. You have to get used to how it handles and then let your muscle memory work it out overnight and come back.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

KingShibby posted:

They'll never tell anyone the outcome of protests for privacy, etc but you should always submit if it's serious enough. I'm sure if you're spamming they'll say something to you.

I don't need to know the punishment but unless I'm at least getting "Upheld" or "Rejected" there's no point.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

It's definitely a car you have to drive around a bit then step away from and go back to. That's how I learned it. I got in it, drove around Road Atlanta and it was terrible. I regretted buying such a lovely car, how could anyone like it. Then I got back in the next day and was a hundred times better at it. You have to get used to how it handles and then let your muscle memory work it out overnight and come back.

This is exactly the same experience that happened to me in the past 24 hours. I think part of it was also that the first time I drove it was at Donnington, which has tons of super hard braking areas and technical corners. When I came back today, I drove on at Okayama and Lime Rock and got the hang of it before taking it back there. Truly an amazing car, but extremely frustrating the first time behind the wheel

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dudley posted:

I don't need to know the punishment but unless I'm at least getting "Upheld" or "Rejected" there's no point.

They send 2 different mails from what I've seen.

1. Action taken: other driver notified.
2. Rejected: something along the lines of we saw nothing wrong.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

KingShibby posted:

This. I typically avoid the warmups in order to reduce the likelihood of morons, but it is useful to double-check your setup and make sure you're not in qualifying trim to start.

I once had my engine blow on the 8th lap of an oval race because of this :doh:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

thehacker0 posted:

I've never gotten that message, or at least haven't notices it, and am in the same situation as you are.

Its a tooltip that pops up when you mouseover the MPR on an upcoming race:

But it seems to be a dirty lie so w/e

Edit: ManicJason knows what's up. I didn't realise there was the MPR to consider as well as Safety Rating and iRating. (iRating is just for matchmaking and dickwaving purposes, right?)

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 17, 2014

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Your MPR is the minimum number of races you have to do at or above your current level before you're promoted (in addition to getting your SR high enough.) Those Mazda races will no longer get you to promotion; you have to race something in class D or above. SR and iRating are always affected, no matter the level of the race.

edit: For example, I got my oval license to D in Street Stocks. I continued to race Street Stocks until my SR got over D 4.0, but I was not promoted. I then did time trials in IndyCar Oval Fixed (C) and was immediately promoted to C once I met my MPR there. I then continued to race Indycar Oval Fixed to get up to B. Once I got to B 4.0, I had to go to a B or A series to get my MPR.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 17, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah otherwise I'd have to actually do NASCAR A races and gently caress that when I can go truuuuckkkkiiinnnn'' :pcgaming:

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

LordPants posted:

Yeah otherwise I'd have to actually do NASCAR A races and gently caress that when I can go truuuuckkkkiiinnnn'' :pcgaming:

I've been kinda curious why everybody loves the truck series races so much. Whats the allure? Super fun tracks or trucks are great to drive or what?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Can anyone explain why my SR decided to just go insane and leap up by over half a point from a single race?

I included 2 very similar races. I finished in 6th both times, the SOF was the same both times, both races were about the same length, I finished more or less as far behind the leader both times and I had the same number of incident points both times. But for whatever reason the race at Okayama only got me a .13 increase where tonight's race at LRP gave me a .59 increase. What gives?

Edit:

ManicJason posted:

About 2 minutes after watching your video I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM99JqeLrWg&list=TLf4dSt0LxJ3BUUTWnIzPKxlBHNxeQM55e

I guess that song is the official iRacing shenanigans song.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 17, 2014

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

thehacker0 posted:

I've been kinda curious why everybody loves the truck series races so much. Whats the allure? Super fun tracks or trucks are great to drive or what?

They race every hour, and they're a lot more fun to drive then the gen-6 or Nationwide car.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's also cheaper because they recycle tracks a bunch.

I do enjoy the B cars. A cars is where its more driving the car than racing the car if you know what I mean, and also particpation is less and if I'm going to drive A I'm going to drive the half-distance races on weekends and gain crazy SR.

edit: Also when participation is high in trucks, you're either going to be winning or close enough to the front to learn something. Not like 1 race going official in A, with 5 aliens and 5 scrubs and you're in the middle. Also B is great for fooling with the setups in open. :3:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 17, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

Can anyone explain why my SR decided to just go insane and leap up by over half a point from a single race?

when you go +/- past a whole number you get .5 tacked on to it.
SO if you are at 3.99 and you gain .10 SR you actually show a gain of .60
If you are 4.02 and you lose .10 SR you actually show a loss of .60

this keeps folks from going 3-4-3-4-3-4 every race.
you get some padding so you don't drop down a tier.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And incidentally, hovering over that giant question mark would have told you that.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

thehacker0 posted:

I think it's just a happy medium in a few respects. The drivers have to get over rookie and D, but they don't have to stress out about SR like you do with an A license. C is accessible enough that the races are always well populated and run every hour. It helps that the truck is also a blast to drive.

Oachkatzlschwoaf
Oct 23, 2006

Two heads are better than one

LordPants posted:

It's also cheaper because they recycle tracks a bunch.

On that note, what oval tracks are best to buy if I don't want to get them all right away? Right now I'm grinding up my SR to hopefully reach D 4.0 before Street Stock switches back to USA (screw that place in Rookies), with the goal to race mostly trucks and Indycar ovals. I don't follow real life oval racing though, so I have no idea what tracks are great fun or snorefests. (Also, I want to avoid getting tracks that are going to be phased out next season.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

ManicJason posted:

I think it's just a happy medium in a few respects. The drivers have to get over rookie and D, but they don't have to stress out about SR like you do with an A license. C is accessible enough that the races are always well populated and run every hour. It helps that the truck is also a blast to drive.

I still can't drive the truck properly for obvious reasons but when I bought it I was still skeptical. Then I hit the throttle for the first time.

It's awesome and it makes me sad that I can't drive it.

• Locked thread