Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think having the local militia of cheesemakers freaking out and running from a battle is probably more sane than everyone being utterly implacable the second theyre drafted. There needs to be more involved, though. I think the biggest aid would be just dwarves taking the presence of others into account. Like if you have your squad of farmers-turned-soldiers lead by some grizzled one eyed hulk, they should probably be less prone to panic, until that dude gets pasted, upon which everyone should freak out. Or if the dwarves caught sight of a bunch of other dwarves running from something, they should start freaking out, even if they dont even know what is going on. Things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i honestly think some sort of 'leadership' stat that slowly builds up for veteran fighters and maybe a bit more for those actively in leading positions would do well. have them bolster the confidence of others around them, and if they're taken out it'll gently caress with the morale of others around like tiler wiki said.

so, if you have a squad of grizzled veterans there's a ridiculously small chance they'll bolt for it because the overlapping bonuses will go through the roof but a group of freshly recruited wrestlers have a much higher chance of panicking if their sole source of confidence gets their skull ventilated by an arrow. seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult to add in the grand scheme of things.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Raws are icky, but if freakouts really bother you that much just add [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:1] to the creatures you want to toughen up. At 1 they still freak out occasionally, but not as often, so you don't wind up with half your fort frozen in horror staring at a single humanoid corpse in the refuse pile. 1 or 2 and civilians still react to things, seems like a good level. Make it 8 or something and you'll have some cold rear end mofos.

C:...\Dwarf Fortress 0.40.08\raw\objects creature_standard.txt is the file that has dwarfs, goblins, humans and elves.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Or if the dwarves caught sight of a bunch of other dwarves running from something, they should start freaking out, even if they dont even know what is going on.

This would be the new tantrum or catsplosion. Unstoppable fortress wide freak outs.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Easy way to fix it: drop cats/goblins into the main work area of your fort at regular intervals from about 12 z-levels high.

Once everyone has that "doesn't really care anymore" stat, no more freak outs :sun:.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The stock game really needs conveyor belts. I'm picturing one of those cartoon industrial machines where cages get emptied on a belt and the occupants get smashed, halved, cooked and maybe even canned or dumped into a shaft at the end. A mature fort really needs some kind of automated PoW processing facility and the standard mass pitting shaft isn't fun enough.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Excelzior posted:

glass titans/FBs can handle lava just fine. Crystal glass basically requires masterwork steel to break.

:iit:

Yeah, this one was made out of some non-magma proof stone. I forget which. But he melted just fine.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Shibawanko posted:

The stock game really needs conveyor belts. I'm picturing one of those cartoon industrial machines where cages get emptied on a belt and the occupants get smashed, halved, cooked and maybe even canned or dumped into a shaft at the end. A mature fort really needs some kind of automated PoW processing facility and the standard mass pitting shaft isn't fun enough.

You can sorta do this with artificial rivers, but I agree, it's not the same.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Is there a way to force sieges with dfhack? I live in the Age of Goblins but I literally haven't even seen thief for four years. I'm guessing my civ has surrounded my fortress or something.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I don't think so, unfortunately. invasionNow.lua used to do that, but the underlying system changes in version 40 broke it for good.

force.lua should still let you force other events like megabeasts and such, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

:siren: TWBT stable branch (3.35) in support of 40.08-r2!

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I notice my dogs almost never breed. I really really want to return to the days of dozens of war dogs. What's the deal, are dogs and cats just naturally way less reproductive than they used to be? I used to get kittens and puppies in the first two years, now my dogs and cats go for years without any offspring.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

So I need DFHack, DF 40.08, and this?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

reading posted:

I notice my dogs almost never breed. I really really want to return to the days of dozens of war dogs. What's the deal, are dogs and cats just naturally way less reproductive than they used to be? I used to get kittens and puppies in the first two years, now my dogs and cats go for years without any offspring.

The atmosphere is too saturated by dwarf spores so they can double their population every season with children who will be utterly useless for eight years for any dog spores to survive.

I'm really glad that this bug has at least started to be fixed. I'm sick of having a population of 50 dwarves, and only 20 of them capable of working. Didn't Dwarf Therapist used to be able to force children to work? Is that still a thing it can do, somehow?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

So I need DFHack, DF 40.08, and this?

Yeah. Take ye DF 40.08, make sure that DFHack is installed and then take ye TWBT 3.35 and put the version-appropriate .dll in \hack\plugins among all the rest. Placing overrides.txt in \data\init and shadows.png in \data\art is good too.

Then you just open up init.txt and pick your favorite tiles. FONT and FULLFONT are used for text, GRAPHICS_FONT and GRAPHICS_FULLFONT are applied for the playing field.

The multi-level rendering is disabled by default for performance reasons. See here for the commands.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 16, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Can you show some example combinations that look nice together? I'm still a little weirded out that this is even possible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Can you show some example combinations that look nice together? I'm still a little weirded out that this is even possible.

loving hell. I realized too late that the fantastic anything-goes rendering is restricted to the nextgen branch of development. What we have right now forces both tilesets into filling out the bigger one's dimensions and making it look like poo poo in most cases. Now it's only good for reconciling something really graphic like Phoebus 16x16 with a 16x16 pure ASCII thing for non-hosed menu viewing.

I took this screenshot when I was deliberately kicking twbt-nextgen in the nuts to see if and when it started flinching. The above (doubled Phoebus 32x32 & curses_640x300 6x9 default) still worked fine, even if it flickered a bit. People thought it was a mockup when I posted it on Bay12.

Multi-level rendering still works though and that's a big Good Thing. Mifki's also busy kicking the actual nextgen branch into shape too, so we shouldn't have to wait that long.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 16, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think having the local militia of cheesemakers freaking out and running from a battle is probably more sane than everyone being utterly implacable the second theyre drafted. There needs to be more involved, though. I think the biggest aid would be just dwarves taking the presence of others into account. Like if you have your squad of farmers-turned-soldiers lead by some grizzled one eyed hulk, they should probably be less prone to panic, until that dude gets pasted, upon which everyone should freak out. Or if the dwarves caught sight of a bunch of other dwarves running from something, they should start freaking out, even if they dont even know what is going on. Things like that.

Every siege I've had results in the attackers running off in horror at the sight of the first thing they kill, which is pretty stupid. Granted I stopped playing the new version after that happened three or four times so maybe it's not as common as my experience suggests.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I still get ambushing goblins in adventure mode that run screaming at the first sight of me, their victim.

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Lost a fort to a tantrum spiral, Reclaimed it and the volcano is now "erupting" it's just spewing magma over the top of any barriers I put in place. Any ideas what caused it or can they now erupt?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
loving around with Kobold Camp in Masterwork has made me realize I have literally no idea how the Animal Training and Hunting mechanics work in even regular Dwarf Fortress like, at all.

Coming back to this game after a 2-3 year hiatus leaves you with so many weird blank spots; I could probably figure out how to set up a trade-caravan flooding death trap system faster then I could figure out how to train a dog.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Ludo Friend posted:

Lost a fort to a tantrum spiral, Reclaimed it and the volcano is now "erupting" it's just spewing magma over the top of any barriers I put in place. Any ideas what caused it or can they now erupt?

You're the third person this has happened to. I think it's a bug where the volcano's refilling behavior loses its "full" volume marker or whatever the hell caused volcanoes to refill in 34.11 without killing everyone. Capping it MIGHT stop the infinite lava flow, but that won't save your FPS or volcano fort.

This is why I use backup saves.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Scrree posted:

loving around with Kobold Camp in Masterwork has made me realize I have literally no idea how the Animal Training and Hunting mechanics work in even regular Dwarf Fortress like, at all.

Coming back to this game after a 2-3 year hiatus leaves you with so many weird blank spots; I could probably figure out how to set up a trade-caravan flooding death trap system faster then I could figure out how to train a dog.
You have to make a zone for animal training now(press i, make your zone, then hit t to make it a training zone); it's not done at the kennel anymore. Then you select which animals to train from the animals list on the stocks screen.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any way to tell what is making a dwarf horrified? Just really curious what dumb stuff they are scared of near my entrance.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Haifisch posted:

You have to make a zone for animal training now(press i, make your zone, then hit t to make it a training zone); it's not done at the kennel anymore. Then you select which animals to train from the animals list on the stocks screen.

Is the kennel useless now?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Almost. I think you only use it to queue "snag some vermin creature in this animal trap" jobs now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

scamtank posted:

Almost. I think you only use it to queue "snag some vermin creature in this animal trap" jobs now.

I hear you can use them to snatch cave spiders and set them loose in a room so they spin web; confirm/deny?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I hear you can use them to snatch cave spiders and set them loose in a room so they spin web; confirm/deny?

Definitely confirm. There was a trick to make the spider go hogwild with shooting webs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No, not the big giant ones. Those little barely visible things that are responsible for all the ambient cheap silk webs. I don't see how it wouldn't work, but I can't remember how you exactly control the release of vermin from cages or traps.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I haven't done this in a while so I might be remembering it wrong, but I think you have to use the kennel's "tame a small animal job" to tame the vermin, then you can transfer it to a cage or pit it into a room. You might have to be careful though, because I'm pretty sure that cats don't give a gently caress and will still kill your tamed vermin, so keep them out of the spider room.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

reading posted:

There's a thread somewhere on the Bay12 forums looking into it, the primary theory is that animals are getting the default values for ORIENTATION tags, so about 1/4th of them aren't interested in making babies with the opposite sex. If you have only one male dog, it may just be he's not into ladies.

So try embarking with a more even gender spread, see if that helps.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh my, the local goblin civilization is ruled by elves.

I get to kill twice as many treehuggers! :neckbeard:

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Fortress ended when the sight of the dead elf bodies created a gigantic tantrum spiral.

I know Toady will probably scale it back, but I actually like that you need to desensitize your fortress to violence gradually for your dwarves to not be incredibly bothered by it.

reading posted:

I don't know why but I had to start butchering puppies in my last game. They weren't pastured or anything; both the strays & wars were having massive litters.

super fart shooter posted:

I haven't done this in a while so I might be remembering it wrong, but I think you have to use the kennel's "tame a small animal job" to tame the vermin, then you can transfer it to a cage or pit it into a room. You might have to be careful though, because I'm pretty sure that cats don't give a gently caress and will still kill your tamed vermin, so keep them out of the spider room.
I am never putting anything in any of my fortresses that you could possibly classify as a "spider room"

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 16, 2014

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I'm going to finally get around to giving Masterwork a try later today and I was just wondering, two things.
1. Anything major I should know before going in, about changes or differences, that I won't be able to intuit before it impacts me negatively? Like anything I should really know?
2. I understand the game has Warpstone. Is this like Warhammer Warpstone, or just 'generic magical radioactive stone'? What I want to know is can I make Skaven Fortress, albeit with Dorfs instead of proper Ratmen.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

This might be a big request but can anyone provide a brief overview of the things I can do with DFHack, as it stands now for 40.08? There seems to be tons of stuff and I don't even know what I'm doing. Way back when, I really only used it for prospect and digv, so beyond that I'm just swamped with things.

Outcast Spy
May 7, 2007

How could you be both?
[quote="RoboChrist 9000" post="433614151"]
So I'm going to finally get around to giving Masterwork a try later today and I was just wondering, two things.
1. Anything major I should know before going in, about changes or differences, that I won't be able to intuit before it impacts me negatively? Like anything I should really know?

I recommend turning the Research workshop off in the UI if you want to be able to play around with some of the other buildings right from the start. Otherwise you'll have to obtain the reagents needed to research various useful buildings like the blast furnace. It is really annoying.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Made people not so eager to jump in on the side of their relatives and friends if the relative/friend is berserk/etc.

That sounds like it would be hilarious to see.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

super fart shooter posted:

Yeah, you really need to keep all the cats and falcons pastured. Then as a backup protect your spider room with an airlock of at least two or three tightly closed doors to try to keep out any new cats or kittens you miss.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sup beakdawgs, how do I get dfhack on my mac, has anyone wrapped it all up for me so I can be lazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I am not an expert, but I recommend not turning on "harder" anything, leaving research off, and maybe disabling the slag pit. (You can use slag to make concrete from ash, which is its only redeeming feature. Otherwise it's really heavy clutter, though I guess you could decorate with it.)

You can make beds with stone blocks once you make the furniture workshop, in sets with door/cabinet/chest. Pretty handy when your expanding empire needs sleepytimes, and the furniture is worth more.