Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

RyokoTK posted:

Isn't this texture in Doom 1? I could have sworn it was on Mt. Erebus.

As bad as some of the Doom 2 levels are, at least they're merely boring and confusing, rather than physically painful to look at. gently caress Mt. Erebus, Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
The blue/red texture is the best drat texture there is. Of course Hell would bring poo poo that you can't even understand with it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Elliotw2 posted:

Actually, googling shows that there are basic mods for the BFG edition, including for the shotgun spread and the body stay effect.

Ah, I didn't know that. I'll check and see if there are any sound mods too. I dunno though, I'm one of those weirdos that didn't mind switching between the flashlight and gun in the original game. It was tense, maaaan!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I wish more games had a shotgun like Marathon 2's dual sawn offs. In both Samsara and Aleph one it's really satisfying to get them in a good rhythm and just unload buckshot everywhere.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Samsara allows you to shoot both shotguns simultaneously, which is inauthentic behavior, but goddamn that's a lot of burst damage.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It helps, since Marathon 2 didn't have anything quite as hp filled as the cyberdemon or spider mastermind.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

catlord posted:

As bad as some of the Doom 2 levels are, at least they're merely boring and confusing, rather than physically painful to look at. gently caress Mt. Erebus, Jesus.

The Waste Tunnels is dark for so long to cause pain I think. Mt. Erebus was possibly my favourite map out of the first three episodes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Elliotw2 posted:

It helps, since Marathon 2 didn't have anything quite as hp filled as the cyberdemon or spider mastermind.

Major Juggernaut comes pretty drat close, actually.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Who's playing Golden Souls? I need help with Lucy in the Sky because I have no idea where to find the eighth red coin for the life of me and I scoured all of the islands up and down ( and yes I killed the Cyberdemon).

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mak0rz posted:

Who's playing Golden Souls? I need help with Lucy in the Sky because I have no idea where to find the eighth red coin for the life of me and I scoured all of the islands up and down ( and yes I killed the Cyberdemon).

I had to look in this zDoom forums to find it. It's under the broken temple, located through a cave in the side of the island. It's really dumb.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gimnbo posted:

I had to look in this zDoom forums to find it. It's under the broken temple, located through a cave in the side of the island. It's really dumb.

I love that you knew which coin I was missing without having to tell you the ones I already have :allears: Thanks!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Insert name here posted:

Pretty sure it's actually this one

He's way too lenient on The Plutonia Experiment there, which is nicer to look at, yes, but full of the same annoyances as vanilla Doom 2, if not moreso.

Plutonia's levels are inconsistent in design, quality and difficulty. Often levels seem to be out of order, where one level is really large and difficult and the next is really easy. There are tons of areas with slime and lava that don't cause damage, but on other maps they do. Why not just use a different floor texture? There's no way to predict it. There are tons of repeated brown stone textures. Hellspawn love bricks, apparently. There are also about a million Chaingunners and Revenants, including in monster closets and tight areas that make it annoying rather than fun, just like Doom 2.

Plutonia also uses way too much gimmicks, traps, and "theme" levels. There are places where you have to walk over chasms on invisible bridges like Indiana Jones with no way to tell where the floor is until you try it and fall over and over. There are crushing ceilings placed at random for no reason other than "surprise, you're dead!" There are also floors that drop out from under you randomly for the same reason. You have to fight tough enemies on early levels (Mancubi, Arachnotrons, Arch-Viles by Map 03) with weak weapons. In fact the first few levels aren't very good in general. There are places with textures but no physical walls, so the enemies can see and attack you and you have no idea anything was there. The gimmick level Map 11: Hunted is just plain bad.

TNT is less ambitious but more consistent in quality. I can forgive them both because they were made in 1996, but today they don't hold up well at all.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonia sells it self as "an expert's Doom 2" and warns you in it's very readme that it's full of even more of the traps you loved from Doom 2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And I was tricked and I was trapped in Plutonia and I loved every second of it, yes, what is your point? Get on with it, goonsir.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
TNT is not consistent in quality, are you joking? It's terrible.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I actually unironically enjoyed Plutonia but couldn't get through TNT.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RyokoTK posted:

TNT is not consistent in quality, are you joking? It's terrible.

Yeah I was like 99 percent sure he had mixed the wad names up before he mentioned Hunted.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah I was like 99 percent sure he had mixed the wad names up before he mentioned Hunted.

Except everything I wrote applies exactly to Plutonia. People must have rose tinted glasses for that wad because every complaint about vanilla Doom 2 is right there, which is my point about FirstPersonShitter's rant.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The only things I remember from TNT is the Wormhole map, which can be finished in seconds, and the infamous last level, which may seem as a giant dick move at the end of the episode, until you discover that colored flames in the first corridor mark the proper way through teleport maze.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Always liked TNT Evilution more than Plutonia. The levels in that never worked for me. At least they didn't look as bad as Sandy Petersens levels in Doom 2 I guess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
While we're still talking about Doom 2 I'm poking at it in bits and bites for the first time and Dead Simple through to The Pit was an amazing set that made up for the blah in the first six.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, but then you have to play Refueling Base.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yep I died once in Refueling Base (by the way I am tired of pain elementals in monster closets already and I say this as someone who genuinely enjoys Doom 3) and said "SO IT'S BREAK TIME NOW."

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

What you guys think of Citadel, then? It was the first Doom 2 level I've ever played at friends house years ago, and still I pop it from time to time. I wouldn't call it my favourite, but it still works great as showcase of Doom -> Doom 2 evolution, with it's size and complexity. In a way, this map is a sequel to Unholy Cathedral from the original.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
It has absolutely none of the vibe of Unholy Cathedral, which is well designed thematically and gameplay wise. Citadel definitely has that Doom 2 vibe of bigger, more open areas which don't really make a lot of sense and look like poo poo. At the time maps like that definitely fit the bill on the back of theDoom2 box which was 'bigger and badder' but while it may have been imposing and interesting then it stands the test of time poorly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I haven't made it to MAP19 yet but I'll share my thoughts as a new player when I get there.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm also replaying it for the first time in a while, and goddamn Factory is awful garbage and I hate it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm also replaying it for the first time in a while, and goddamn Factory is awful garbage and I hate it.

Haha that is the EXACT LEVEL I'm on. I died to the mancubi in a small room, but doing giant chain-strafing runs on arachnotrons was fun.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So, what actually happened between Doom and Doom II that made the latter so… meh?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tippis posted:

So, what actually happened between Doom and Doom II that made the latter so… meh?

Doom had several years of development and working on the maps, Doom II came out a mere 9 months later, partially using rejected Doom maps.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tippis posted:

Honestly only e1 is significantly better in quality than Doom II, e2 and e3 were in a lot of ways worse. It's tough, though, there are some great maps in Doom 2 and good maps in e2 and e3 as well.

Map29 is one of the best examples of a really linear map, for example, and it plays really well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tippis posted:

Same engine, not enough new stuff. Same reason everyone remembers Wolf 3D but few people care about Spear of Destiny. Also the levels might have been too abstract; Doom tried to make you believe you were in an actual place (even showing your progress on a cute little world map between each level), Doom II unashamedly tells you that you're in a video game action puzzle with some gimmick. Even if the design might be better, it's too transparent I guess.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The super shotgun and new enemies justified buying Doom 2 back in the day, not to mention that hey, it's more Doom. People like to complain about copy and paste sequels but Doom 2 is pretty much the standard bearer there and still considered one of the best in the genre.

I never felt 'this is worse than Doom 1' but I do hate the city levels with a passion. The WADs and mods for the game is its saviour.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah the super shotgun was worth the price on Steam itself. (Admittedly that price was $1 as part of the iD Mega Pack thing during QuakeCon but still!)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I barely even think about Doom 2 as a standalone game, it's more like a... platform.

Like "here's a bunch of dumb levels you can play if you want, but you really should go on a BBS the internet and download stuff / make your own"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I also seem to remember one of the iD team giving an interview on Doom 2 years alter and mentioning they were trying to make the levels in it based on what they'd seen the bbs/online communities do in their own maps? Since they had been somewhat out of ideas after putting together the original Doom.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Doom 2 was a retail-only game, it had no demo version because id was convinced that giving away whole 1st episode made people think they own the full game. Also, more money from sales going straight to devs.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Any Aeons of Death Buffs know what the icon in the top right is? Kind of has a tint of green in it and I have 0 clue what it's used for or what it does.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

I also seem to remember one of the iD team giving an interview on Doom 2 years alter and mentioning they were trying to make the levels in it based on what they'd seen the bbs/online communities do in their own maps? Since they had been somewhat out of ideas after putting together the original Doom.

They hired poeple who made Doom/Doom 2 maps like American McGee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I don't get the hate for Doom 2. Maybe because I vividly remember the anticipation of it coming out and how aside from a few decent maps here and there, there was really nothing else worth playing beyond the original Doom at the time. The super shotgun is fun as hell and IMHO the level designs are great. Sure some of them are annoying like the city, but it was a perfect sequel to Doom in my eyes. Certainly a better sequel to Doom 1 than Doom 3 was to Doom 2.