Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is absolutely not the case. Very little starcraft style micromanagement is required. You aren't controlling individual soldiers, managing health values, managing base building while in combat, scouting, and so on. APM means almost nothing. It's all about large scale tactics. You can pause whenever, too. I think there's a miscommunication here, because the TW series doesn't have much micromanagement at all. If the game feels overwhelming, just take it more slowly. You're probably overthinking things and aren't using the pause button.

I would say that Shogun 2 is probably the easiest to get into.

Is Shogun 2 or Fall of the Samurai better for a first-time player? It looks like Fall of the Samurai is a standalone expansion, which often means the old game's skeleton with more polish and features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is there any way to set WASD to move camera in Tropico 4? It seems like you can only bind quick-build hotkeys, no fully remappable controls. Having arrow keys control the camera is the most outmoded design, and when you can't change it...looking at you, Civ 5.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Is Shogun 2 or Fall of the Samurai better for a first-time player? It looks like Fall of the Samurai is a standalone expansion, which often means the old game's skeleton with more polish and features.

They're both very similar in terms of gameplay. FOTS has citizens' unrest become more important, which can be a little challenging, but neither game is easier to learn than the other, and if you know how to play one you'll quickly grasp the other.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Phenotype posted:

Play Shogun 2 if you want to fight with melee and archers, FOTS if you want to fight with guns and cannons.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Phenotype posted:

They are vastly different even though they use the same map. Shogun 2 is spears/horses/bows/swords whereas Fall of the Samurai is Victorian-era armies with guns and cannons. At the battle level they engage differently, though on the campaign level they are probably similar in that regard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deakul posted:

Robin Atkin Dowes or whatever is the best voice, sorry.

French Boss for life. And in SR3, Russian Boss.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RBA Starblade posted:

French Boss for life. And in SR3, Russian Boss.

This guy knows what's up :hf:

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine
Holy poo poo, this plants vs zombies game is the most charming and fun shooter I've played in forever. I might actually even buy this once the free trial weekend is over.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

kevin mung posted:

Holy poo poo, this plants vs zombies game is the most charming and fun shooter I've played in forever. I might actually even buy this once the free trial weekend is over.

I am having a very hard time trusting pvz after what they did with the sequel on the ios.

There might be positive impressions but I really need to be impressed and convinced that it's going to be some kind of slog/pay to win skinner box.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
So is anyone else not getting their Tropico 4 activation emails?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

So is anyone else not getting their Tropico 4 activation emails?

Yup. Scroll up and look at the guy's post about bypassing the lovely, non-functional DRM.

Edit: What's the best way to play Tropico 4, anyways? Campaign, or just sandbox?

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 17, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yup. Scroll up and look at the guy's post about bypassing the lovely, non-functional DRM.

Edit: What's the best way to play Tropico 4, anyways? Campaign, or just sandbox?

Campaign. Tropico 4 is like really, really easy and the campaign actually has limitations/conditions that make the game more interesting/challenging.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

kevin mung posted:

You can use a Mexico proxy to buy it for 40% off if you don't feel like waiting for a sale, EA/Origin literally don't give a gently caress unlike Steam/Valve. Just turn off the proxy before you enter payment info on paypal.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Apparently the correct way to play Tropico games is to pick the Rum Trader background and trade a lot of rum. This will give you infinite funds with which to pursue any other playstyle you desire.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always choose alcoholic. My el Presidente is that lovable drunk who spreads the euphoric joy of constantly being shitfaced to the masses. If I could change the currency to booze in those games I would. I kind of wish they'd go deeper with the absurdity, like the aforementioned currency changing. Alcohol, as you know, gets better with age. Soon alcohol would eclipse all other world currency and before you know it alcohol would be the standard and el Presidente would be Supreme Drunk of Humankind.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mortimer posted:

I played through Fog Island in like 2 hours. Pretty neat, return of a few people from Risen 2 but maybe not worth $5. Lots of unique gear though.

You should have preordered :catstare:

I've been burned on so many preorders now that I skipped it on this one and regret it, bought it without DLC and have sunk a couple of hours into it.

Love it so far, shouldn't have doubted myself.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Metro Last Light Complete is 5$ if you get a 75% off coupon from Alienware.

The redux version is coming out soon enough, but for 5$ of card money I'm willing to take the plunge.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sober posted:

They are vastly different even though they use the same map. Shogun 2 is spears/horses/bows/swords whereas Fall of the Samurai is Victorian-era armies with guns and cannons. At the battle level they engage differently, though on the campaign level they are probably similar in that regard.

I guess what I was really after is which one is the better game? In addition to Shogun 2 on sale at Humble, Fall of the Samurai is on sale directly on Steam.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Metro Last Light Complete is 5$ if you get a 75% off coupon from Alienware.

The redux version is coming out soon enough, but for 5$ of card money I'm willing to take the plunge.

Owning the original gets you 50% off the Redux version too, which makes it still cheaper than buying Redux by itself.

I'm really looking forward to playing 2033 Redux. Interested to see what gameplay and engine tweaks they've made to Last Light too, although that should be a significantly less impressive upgrade than the full remake treatment they gave the first game.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Phenotype posted:

I guess what I was really after is which one is the better game? In addition to Shogun 2 on sale at Humble, Fall of the Samurai is on sale directly on Steam.
The advantage to FOTS being on sale on steam is you can grab all the DLC for an extra 2.50$ That being said, both Shogun 2 and Fall are both extremely polished games that are both worth it. You'd have to decide which era you prefer at this point. Although if you are new to the series and prefer neither, I would probably recommend Shogun 2 because it definitely teaches you more about the rock-paper-scissors style of combat Total War is known for whereas Fall combat is more simplistic, where you basically line all your men with rifles up at each other and the one with better guns wins (in very broad terms).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think base Shogun 2 also has better tutorials.

Get Fall (and the Rise of the Samurai) campaigns later. Both are really well done.

EDIT: \/ Yeah. Rise is just fun if you want further variety. The DLC armies are actually pretty well done too.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 17, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That is true as well. Most of the Fall of the Samurai tutorials are basically video tutorials. Not really sure if you get the Shogun 2 tutorials, nor would I expect them to help for Fall anyway. And Rise is basically Shogun 2 but somewhat different setup.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rise is actually a remake of Shogun 1 and a complete game for a buck or so, but you need Shogun 2 to play it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Replaying Left 4 Dead 2 I forgot just how much I don't like playing as half of the zombies in L4D2 and how much I hate how the scoring works.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Rise is actually a remake of Shogun 1 and a complete game for a buck or so, but you need Shogun 2 to play it.

One of my greatest regrets with the rapid advancement of Total Wars tech is that I love the Shogun 1 boardgame style map. I wish it was a toggle on the newer ones.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

I've been burned on so many preorders now that I skipped it on this one and regret it, bought it without DLC and have sunk a couple of hours into it.

Love it so far, shouldn't have doubted myself.

Any tips on not sucking completely in combat? My attacks always seem to get interrupted, even when they start before my enemy's.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Orv posted:

One of my greatest regrets with the rapid advancement of Total Wars tech is that I love the Shogun 1 boardgame style map. I wish it was a toggle on the newer ones.

That would be very cool and they so at least do like a dlc of it. Call it a "Nostalgia pack" or some dumb poo poo.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Any tips on not sucking completely in combat? My attacks always seem to get interrupted, even when they start before my enemy's.

Dodge a lot, if the enemy is going for a strong attack you can generally interrupt it with a quick attack... Just practice and your timing will be better, it took me a while to get back into the swing of things and all I'm having trouble with now are the really fast enemies where I think I'd probably be better off with a firearm and avoiding the issue entirely.

It's one of the games where combat will be easier later on when you've got magic options to help you out.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

RBA Starblade posted:

Replaying Left 4 Dead 2 I forgot just how much I don't like playing as half of the zombies in L4D2 and how much I hate how the scoring works.

If you've not played L4D1 you do not know the half of the series history with really silly scoring systems.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

If you've not played L4D1 you do not know the half of the series history with really silly scoring systems.

I've gone on a rant about this too many times in steam threads, but whatever problems LFD1's scoring had, it was actually viable as a fun competitive experience unlike lfd2's.

If you play a capture the flag game you get 10 points for scoring, 0 points if someone stops you from capturing the flag just before you score. In left for dead 2 if you stop someone from scoring just before they score, they still get 9.9 points instead of 10. In a capture the flag game it's really exciting and fun to stop someone from scoring at the last second. In left for dead 2 it's meaningless. It takes out the tense fun moments of a competitive game and makes it just a boring grind where everyone's kind of close all the time.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 17, 2014

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Got Haggis? posted:

so I'm trying out Steam Big Picture Mode and it was working pretty good - played Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider...I have 2 monitors hooked up with DVI and a HDMI cable going to my TV. I setup autohotkey so when I press the back button on my 360 controller, it switches the main display to my tv and the audio output to HDMI - and when quitting big picture mode, resets everything back to normal....has been working great.

That is, until I tried to play Wolfenstein. Turns out, Wolfenstein has an in-game setting where you have to set which display you want to play on - not a huge deal, but slightly more of a pain in the rear end having to manually set it instead of just letting steam take care of it.

Well I start playing Wolfenstein and notice that the menus all appear off-center....almost like its trying to combine my tv and 2 monitors into one giant screen (not quite that bad, just trying to describe whats going on)....gameplay look ok, its mostly cutscenes and menus....for example looking at the journal (or startup legal text) the text is going off the side of the screen.

Ok, I figure Wolfenstien must be jacked....so I fire up Watchdogs....same thing is happening. I go back to Tomb Raider, everything is fine. I fire up Sleeping Dogs, everything is fine.

Any ideas? Basically makes these games unplayable in Big Picture Mode

I am also a fan of big picture mode. I have noticed that turning off your monitor usually solves these odd quirks, and if all else fails use Windows + P to select your GPU to either mirror screens or to select the TV exclusively.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is there a way to get rid of all my $0.03 backgrounds/emotes? I've added trashbot, but it's always offline now. Is there another one?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kragger99 posted:

Is there a way to get rid of all my $0.03 backgrounds/emotes? I've added trashbot, but it's always offline now. Is there another one?

I just added Trashbot as a friend and a message window popped up immediately. Did you pick the right one? I could start a trade request with no issues, but didn't actually complete a trade to check it works to completion.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Something I'm experimenting with on Steam lately:

Basically, like many people, I have gotten into a rut of only playing about 2 games regularly and ignoring all the other great games I'd bought previously.

So, as an experiment, I created a small special 'clubhouse' steam group for just myself and a small pool of my steam friends who are interested in gaming together.

As an extension of that, rather than buy more games for myself that I'm not going to play much, I'm finding discounted copies of games I need being sold by a dude on SA mart to buy (or free copies from other steam friends) to give for free to my various gaming pals. For example, copies of Monaco so more of my pals can do the 4player stuff. I use my normal gaming budget money to buy more players in to game with me, basically. (Usually around 4-7 bucks per head.) It sure beats the hell out of wasting money on DLC and ingame micro-transactions too.

So far it's worked out fantastically - I've basically created an online equivalent of a group of people I have over to play multiplayer games on the couch together. In the future I also plan on building a secondary gaming computer that actually WILL be a living room couch gaming PC (basically a gaming console I built) for my steam library too. For now, this does nicely.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 17, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, got a question about Divinity: Original Sin: Do the 'Fabulous Five' come back into the game, after buggering off with my money, upon completing their quest to destroy Arhu's death-machine? Since I've got some unfinished business with them...

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Kragger99 posted:

To my bewilderment, I actually sold a 2013 summer sale background some weeks ago. I thought it would stay on the market forever.

Spacedad posted:

clubhouse steam group

That's a great idea.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Something I'm experimenting with on Steam lately:

Basically, like many people, I have gotten into a rut of only playing about 2 games regularly and ignoring all the other great games I'd bought previously.

So, as an experiment, I created a small special 'clubhouse' steam group for just myself and a small pool of my steam friends who are interested in gaming together.

As an extension of that, rather than buy more games for myself that I'm not going to play much, I'm finding discounted copies of games I need being sold by a dude on SA mart to buy (or free copies from other steam friends) to give for free to my various gaming pals. For example, copies of Monaco so more of my pals can do the 4player stuff. I use my normal gaming budget money to buy more players in to game with me, basically. (Usually around 4-7 bucks per head.) It sure beats the hell out of wasting money on DLC and ingame micro-transactions too.

So far it's worked out fantastically - I've basically created an online equivalent of a group of people I have over to play multiplayer games on the couch together. In the future I also plan on building a secondary gaming computer that actually WILL be a living room couch gaming PC (basically a gaming console I built) for my steam library too. For now, this does nicely.

I joined the SA Steam group hoping for this but everyone just sits in there trying to be ironically funny. I've looked for public groups like this but could never find anything.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all, got a question about Divinity: Original Sin: Do the 'Fabulous Five' come back into the game, after buggering off with my money, upon completing their quest to destroy Arhu's death-machine? Since I've got some unfinished business with them...

Might be better off in the Divinity Thread but ...
In my play-through - No.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I think one of the Fabulous Five turned up as a corpse but haven't ran into them other than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hey, guys! I ran across something in my Tumblr feed, of all things, that I wanted to share. It's a Steam Greenlight game called Five Nights at Freddy's. I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. Apologies if it has.

Here's the Steam Greenlight page about it. Basically, you're the night-time security guard in a Chuckee Cheese kind of place. Problem is, during the night, the animatronic animals aren't so friendly... I watched some videos about it last night. It is legitimately the most terrifying game I have ever seen. I had a couple nightmares about it last night, and I wasn't even playing it!

Here's a pretty good video that highlights what the game is like:

Five Nights at Freddy's by Achievement Hunter

• Locked thread