Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Wait, doesn't everyone have a real life password folder? Like with pen and paper. Mine is like 15years old.

So, what class should i play at the start? I tried arcanist and it sucks(lame skills at level 15).

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Verranicus posted:

Does anyone have a list of what towns sell what levels of gathering/crafting gear from their vendors? It's a pain in the butt teleporting around searching and I know I'll get stuff cheaper from them than from the AH.

I don't, but I'll point you to the database of vendor NPCs that you can use to find out who sells what.

Generally speaking, you'll want to look:

1-9: City that contains the guild for the class.
10-24: Level appropriate camp in the starting zone for the city with the guild for the class.
28-29: Quarrymill (FSH 25)
29-32: Costa del Sol
33-35: Camp Dragonhead (FSH 37)
38-40: Camp Whitehead (FSH 40)
43+: Saint Coinach's Find (FSH 40)

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of one-time passwords, all this talk has made me double check my one-time password removal code and I can't find where I wrote it down. I still have my one-time password keychain thing so it isn't a big deal at the moment, but where do I go to find the removal code, just in case?

You can look it up by logging into the Mog Station and choosing Square Enix Account Settings, One Time Password or (or maybe just go straight there, not sure if that link will work if you're not already logged in). It will include information about your token and your Emergency Removal Password.

FunkyFlashman posted:

Wait, doesn't everyone have a real life password folder? Like with pen and paper. Mine is like 15years old.

KeePass even has pretty nice "print everything out" support for creating a nice hardcopy you then lock in your safe. Or just keep lying around your desk for everyone to see. Either/or.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FunkyFlashman posted:

So, what class should i play at the start? I tried arcanist and it sucks(lame skills at level 15).

You can't judge a class entirely by the skills you get sub level 30. And some classes, it's not until even later levels that you really get the swing of things. Take LNC/DRG, for example. A lot of people play it long enough to just get blood for blood, and they hate it because you really don't have a lot of variety of moves up to that point. Once you get 38, though, and get disembowel, the game changes. You actually have a bit of a rotation at that point and really start to grow into a dragoon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xenoveritas posted:

You can look it up by logging into the Mog Station and choosing Square Enix Account Settings, One Time Password or (or maybe just go straight there, not sure if that link will work if you're not already logged in). It will include information about your token and your Emergency Removal Password.

Everything I've found by googling suggests it should just be sitting there in the middle of the page, but I sure don't see it. I might need to have a chat with support to find it. Unless it's the same as the serial number?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It may be a software token only thing. I don't remember - I switched from the keychain to the software token sometime last year. I don't recall it being an option for the keychain, so I think if you have a keychain, the official solution is to not lose the keychain.

Edit: If it helps, it looks something like this:

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 16, 2014

Time Traveler
Aug 16, 2011

I don't make promises that I can't keep.

Mr. Nice! posted:

But having a 2.3 (sub 2.2 with selene) GCD on DRG is a fun time.

I can't speak for MNKs, but as far as DRGs are concerned, your rotation shouldn't be changing until you reach currently unobtainable levels of skill speed.

At current values, the optimal GCD rotation never deviates from HT/CT/P/FT/HT/FT/P/CT/HT/FT/P/FT.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, I guess I'll write it down somewhere for the future. Hopefully I don't lose it when I move again. :v:

Backup software exists for a reason.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I noticed that the male Hyur midlander "default" hairstyle (#1) will clip very rapidly through the collar on the yukatas when running. Is this something that happens with higher level gear as well?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Note Block posted:

I noticed that the male Hyur midlander "default" hairstyle (#1) will clip very rapidly through the collar on the yukatas when running. Is this something that happens with higher level gear as well?

I think all of the clothes clip through a Miqote's tail :v:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, I guess I'll write it down somewhere for the future. Hopefully I don't lose it when I move again. :v:

Save it in cloud storage like google keep or dropbox. Also print it off and put it where ever you keep your important papers.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Volt Catfish posted:

I think all of the clothes clip through a Miqote's tail :v:

I can handle the tail (I don't play Miqote anymore though) but the constant hair blinking on the collar while running is starting to grate on me.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Note Block posted:

I can handle the tail (I don't play Miqote anymore though) but the constant hair blinking on the collar while running is starting to grate on me.

I know it doesn't really solve the problem so much as the symptoms, but you could go talk to Jandelaine or whatever his name is and change your hair. Join me in baldness.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

There is only one solution for you then. You must become...

A Beauty Reborn

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Xenoveritas posted:

It may be a software token only thing. I don't remember - I switched from the keychain to the software token sometime last year. I don't recall it being an option for the keychain, so I think if you have a keychain, the official solution is to not lose the keychain.

Edit: If it helps, it looks something like this:

a picture

You should probably take that down or obscure it or something.....

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The serial number and removal password are randomly generated, you don't get to pick them. :ssh:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

So I have the regular edition on the PC, and I bought a used copy of the PS3 collector's edition. My plan was to play on there for crafting and whatnot, but really my endgame there was to get that dvd that comes with it. Anyhow, after installing on my ps3, it wants me to put in a registration code, but the copy I have has already used it.

My questions are: 1) Can I use the disc i have, or do I have to download a digital copy from the PS3 store, since I'm guessing this is DRM and the code only works once?
2) If I can't use the disc, is there anyway to get the collector's edition bonuses, or will I have to do the digital upgrade to CE if I want a fat chocobo?

ETA: It doesn't really ruin my day if I can't upgrade or play on my PS3, I just wanted the DVD more than anything else in the package, but it'd be cool to craft on the couch

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can't judge a class entirely by the skills you get sub level 30. And some classes, it's not until even later levels that you really get the swing of things. Take LNC/DRG, for example. A lot of people play it long enough to just get blood for blood, and they hate it because you really don't have a lot of variety of moves up to that point. Once you get 38, though, and get disembowel, the game changes. You actually have a bit of a rotation at that point and really start to grow into a dragoon.

Monk changes ENTIRELY at 50 when you get Dragon Kick and Perfect Balance, and Black Mage gets something resembling a rotation in the 40s.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
The Hunt posts from a page or two ago got me thinking critically about 2.4 again. Are we going to see myth going the way of philo? Someone suggested that AF2 gear appearing in the Allied Seals store is to make the Mor Dhona myth vendor obsolete so they can retire it and introduce a new tomestone tier. Or perhaps they'll keep myth, raise the cap, and continue to make it drop like candy?

And what will the new ilvl tiers be? Myth -> sold -> unweathered is +10 on each step, but philo -> myth was +20. And Coil 1 -> Coil 2 was also +20. Will we see i110 that upgrades into i120, or i120 that upgrades into i130?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As a fresh 50 WHM, what's the best plan for getting geared? I found the NPC in Mor Dhona that sells ilvl 90 stuff, and was just going to run duty roulette once a day for the Tomestones of Mythology and start buying that stuff. Is that a solid plan? And I can't decide whether I should replace my crappiest stuff first (for instance my necklace is ilvl 37) or if I should replace the biggest stuff first (replacing the robe will gain me the most MND stat).

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Droid Washington posted:

As a fresh 50 WHM, what's the best plan for getting geared? I found the NPC in Mor Dhona that sells ilvl 90 stuff, and was just going to run duty roulette once a day for the Tomestones of Mythology and start buying that stuff. Is that a solid plan? And I can't decide whether I should replace my crappiest stuff first (for instance my necklace is ilvl 37) or if I should replace the biggest stuff first (replacing the robe will gain me the most MND stat).

Do hunts for like two hours for full i90 gear, then do your relic quest, then do hunts for myth tomestones to zenith it. Then do hunts for soldery cap and save seals for the items needed to upgrade the weathered gear.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TwistedNails posted:

Do hunts for like two hours for full i90 gear, then do your relic quest, then do hunts for myth tomestones to zenith it. Then do hunts for soldery cap and save seals for the items needed to upgrade the weathered gear.

Awesome. I realize 90% of the thread seems to be about hunts, but can anyone point me to a good post or page on how to do hunts? Is it just going into a zone and waiting for someone to shout that they see something?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Are you on Excalibur? If so, there's already a hunt TS that you can hop in and wait to get picked up into a hunt group. If not, then you'll have to search your server for a hunt group.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Droid Washington posted:

Awesome. I realize 90% of the thread seems to be about hunts

90% of the game right now is about hunts. :ssh:

Gave up on Divine Death robe after my probably 80th run of not loving seeing it, so I just decided to grab the augmented Evoker's Doublet and color it purple, because obviously.

I am the prettiest kitty

Edit: of course, the next time I run Tam Tara or something, it's gonna drop.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do hunts if you want to skip over a good chunk of the game (level 50 dungeons) and get bored faster once you get that sweet, sweet gear in 2 hours.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Xenoveritas posted:

The emergency removal key is only for the software token, because SE realized that phones frequently need to update or apps stop working for no good reason or the app can desynch if someone drops a potato on the second Tuesday of a month. The end user is the weakest link in the chain, but there's only so much SE can do in that regard.

The only way to remove the physical token is to contact SE Support, but on the plus side the physical tokens have an astronomically smaller rate of failure compared to the software token.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Verranicus posted:

Do hunts if you want to skip over a good chunk of the game (level 50 dungeons) and get bored faster once you get that sweet, sweet gear in 2 hours.

I've taken up gardening, and now I only have 14 levels left on white mage to be done with every combat class. If anything, hunts have freed me up to do things besides deal with doing dungeons until I capped soldiery. Plus sweet loot.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Leviathan & Ramuh HM serve two roles: introduction of the fight so that you have an idea of mechanics when you get to the EM version and to advance the story. There's not really a tier of gear that they can drop that would be useful in any way, as they're basically the next fights after Titan HM. You could give them i85 drops or something of the sort, but no one really needs any of that when you can get a full set of with 4 ilevel 90 accessories in extremely short order. 270 seals from hunts can be done in a couple of hours if you're not lucky enough to get a log from any As or S ranks you stumble across. It's actually even faster than just 270 seals since you get 30 myth per B, 80 per A, and 200 per S. By the time you get 40 seals to get a chestpiece (assuming mostly B ranks), you're halfway to buying another spot using myth.

There really just isn't a real reason to give them a drop.

I'm late replying to this, I know, there's one thing that would make running such content more compelling:

Glamours and cosmetic items.

Never underestimate the power of pretty princess dress-up. After all, people don't run Mog HM for the i75 weapons themselves. I can think of a few things along these lines that would help revitalize neglected content:

-Have lesser ilvl versions of the primal weapons drop from Levi and Ramuh HM to be primarily used for glamour/desynth purposes (unique armor skins would also be nice but I know that takes time and resources to implement)
-Make mounts and bardings from the Extreme primals have a greater-than-infinitesimal chance of dropping
-Remove crafting items from the loot tables of the 2.2 and 2.3 4-man dungeons to increase the chance of getting armor drops (seriously, I still haven't seen the Robe of Divine Harvest after dozens of Tam Tara and SV HM runs, but I've seen plenty of filtered water drop from the end boss chest)

There is a precedent that enough people will find these things compelling enough to revitalize this content. Look at how many people were running Brayflox NM with their 50's for a chance at Battlemage/Infantry/Cavalry gear after glamours were released. Some people play the game for more than just min/maxing their tomes per minute and gear score.

I have to agree with the poster above you in that this game has a severe lack of intermediate content that lies between "PUG faceroll" (4 mans, CT, hunts) and "static required" (Coil). Extreme primals seem to be the closest we have to this but since the rewards aren't any better than the PUG faceroll tier of content few people bother with them. As previously mentioned, the game has basically become Hunts 'n Coil XIV and a lot of people, myself included, are getting bored and/or burning out.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So like when do we start getting details on 2.4 anyway, I know 2.3 is only about a month old but after all the event stuff is over mid-September we should start to hear what's coming up next, right?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chuch posted:

I'm late replying to this, I know, there's one thing that would make running such content more compelling:

Glamours and cosmetic items.

Never underestimate the power of pretty princess dress-up. After all, people don't run Mog HM for the i75 weapons themselves. I can think of a few things along these lines that would help revitalize neglected content:

-Have lesser ilvl versions of the primal weapons drop from Levi and Ramuh HM to be primarily used for glamour/desynth purposes (unique armor skins would also be nice but I know that takes time and resources to implement)
-Make mounts and bardings from the Extreme primals have a greater-than-infinitesimal chance of dropping
-Remove crafting items from the loot tables of the 2.2 and 2.3 4-man dungeons to increase the chance of getting armor drops (seriously, I still haven't seen the Robe of Divine Harvest after dozens of Tam Tara and SV HM runs, but I've seen plenty of filtered water drop from the end boss chest)

There is a precedent that enough people will find these things compelling enough to revitalize this content. Look at how many people were running Brayflox NM with their 50's for a chance at Battlemage/Infantry/Cavalry gear after glamours were released. Some people play the game for more than just min/maxing their tomes per minute and gear score.

I have to agree with the poster above you in that this game has a severe lack of intermediate content that lies between "PUG faceroll" (4 mans, CT, hunts) and "static required" (Coil). Extreme primals seem to be the closest we have to this but since the rewards aren't any better than the PUG faceroll tier of content few people bother with them. As previously mentioned, the game has basically become Hunts 'n Coil XIV and a lot of people, myself included, are getting bored and/or burning out.

Well they are way ahead of you on this, we just gotta wait and see what they'll do. They've already said that they are looking into reducing the drop rate of crafting mats in dungeons.

Reminder that this patch gave us the ilvl 80 sets from the new dungeons, dyeable AF (which follows the new design scheme of metal keeping its shader effects when dyed), a very easy way of unweathering soldiery gear to make them dyeable, new PvP gear with actual unique models etc. There's a lot of poo poo they added this patch to customize your looks.
Yeah you'll need a static to get far into Coil 2 but the first 5 turns would definitely fall into the level of game commitment you're talking about.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

It's a shame that the black bomb pattern yukata is male only. I imagine it would match well with the CT1 pants.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Droid Washington posted:

Awesome. I realize 90% of the thread seems to be about hunts, but can anyone point me to a good post or page on how to do hunts? Is it just going into a zone and waiting for someone to shout that they see something?

If you're on our server join the hunt TS, it's very much worth it. As a WHM you will dot the mob then spam aoe heals for full credit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Robo Reagan posted:

Store it in a document on Google Drive/Dropbox/whathaveyou.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

TwistedNails posted:

If you're on our server join the hunt TS, it's very much worth it. As a WHM you will dot the mob then spam aoe heals for full credit.

Which aoe heal is best to spam, by the way? I just got my WHM to 50 and will probably start using it in hunts since it's better than SCH, but I'm not sure which heal generates the most enmity. All I know is to get Medica 2 on everyone before the pull.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Eej posted:

Yeah you'll need a static to get far into Coil 2 but the first 5 turns would definitely fall into the level of game commitment you're talking about.

Small but significant correction to this, IMO: Turns 1-4 are PUG faceroll at this point, and T5 is roughly the desired tier alongside extreme primals (though it's a little harder than most of them). I've been going down the T6-9 poopsocking route, but my initial group of FC buddies are all in the camp being discussed -- people who want fights more challenging than HM primals but not as crazy as Second Coil.

Who knows, maybe they'll start experimenting with main scenario fights that are actually challenging. :shrug: I would love it if Omega Weapon's story mode was perhaps Garuda/Ifrit EX level of difficulty.

Rei_ posted:

So like when do we start getting details on 2.4 anyway, I know 2.3 is only about a month old but after all the event stuff is over mid-September we should start to hear what's coming up next, right?

The next Live Letter is next Friday, August 22. I doubt we'll get a release date for 2.4, but you never know. I think current predictions have 2.4 at the end of October or the beginning of November. We already know that it'll be Rogue/Ninja and Third Coil, at the very least.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Which aoe heal is best to spam, by the way? I just got my WHM to 50 and will probably start using it in hunts since it's better than SCH, but I'm not sure which heal generates the most enmity. All I know is to get Medica 2 on everyone before the pull.

If you can get everyone to group up nicely, Cure III. Thanks to culling/other players refusing to stack, that may be impossible. Otherwise, alternate between Medica and Medica II to keep the regen effect up.

Remember to use Divine Seal and Presence of Mind on the pull. Presence of Mind is easy to forget, but the spell speed increase is enough to get an extra AOE out before a B rank melts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Time Traveler posted:

I can't speak for MNKs, but as far as DRGs are concerned, your rotation shouldn't be changing until you reach currently unobtainable levels of skill speed.

At current values, the optimal GCD rotation never deviates from HT/CT/P/FT/HT/FT/P/CT/HT/FT/P/FT.

It changes once you get sub 2.38 or so. I have to include a fracture in there otherwise I end up stepping on my dots.

Also that extra skill speed makes it so you can hit all three dots with b4b, inner release, and an x-pot of strength up. Without the SS you won't be able to get in that fracture at the tail end.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Cure III if you can talk your party into not spreading out too much.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
BTW, it's PBC's first birthday today. Happy birthday you bunch of lovable scrubs.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Belzac posted:

BTW, it's PBC's first birthday today. Happy birthday you bunch of lovable scrubs.

You guys owe me 15,000 gil!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Stufoo posted:

You guys owe me 15,000 gil!!!

Check's in the mail.

• Locked thread