Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gonkish posted:

We're not saying they shouldn't try, we're saying that their "trying" as of right now has been absolutely abysmal. The Spiker and Cerberus are straight-up awful. The Manticore is a crappy Mag-shot, but at least it's usable. It'd just be nice to have some decent loving options in the pistol slot, especially because VS tends to rely on that poo poo more than anyone else because of our comparatively low DPM.

Seriously, let me loving steal a Desperado or Repeater. I would never use another pistol. But oh no, nope, that can't happen... here's the Spiker have fun! :/

They may not be VS-specific, but I love the revolvers and use them on NC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Isn't the Manticore like, a carbon copy of the Mag Shot? The only difference is velocity/bullet drop, neither of which mean anything on a pistol

Not quite. It has worse hip accuracy than the magshot while standing still and better accuracy while crouch walking. (lol)

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 16, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I thought the beamer was generally regarded as a fine pistol??

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I thought the beamer was generally regarded as a fine pistol??

It's a great pistol but you need to get Carpal tunnel syndrome in order to use it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sedisp posted:

It's a great pistol but you need to get Carpal tunnel syndrome in order to use it.

This. The Beamer works if you a.) click script or b.) get CTS and then suffer for the rest of your miserable existence. If neither of those appeals to you... THE COMMISSIONER. Basically, the Commish might as well be THE VS faction pistol.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Epic High Five posted:

Isn't the Manticore like, a carbon copy of the Mag Shot? The only difference is velocity/bullet drop, neither of which mean anything on a pistol
Yeah, it's 50 m/s less velocity and no bullet drop, but otherwise every single stat is the same.

The Beamer is a legitimately good pistol though, it just happens to be the only one. :colbert:

Also there's something funny about the Beamer being the one good VS pistol because anyone who played VS in PS1 knows what a loving joke the Beamer was.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I neither click script nor have carpal tunnel syndrome and the beamer is one of my favorite pistols. It's just so great and spammy without needing to ADS for accuracy.

Edit: hey Nakar don't bash my hotswapping beamers to kill BFRs

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

We're not saying they shouldn't try, we're saying that their "trying" as of right now has been absolutely abysmal. The Spiker and Cerberus are straight-up awful. The Manticore is a crappy Mag-shot, but at least it's usable. It'd just be nice to have some decent loving options in the pistol slot, especially because VS tends to rely on that poo poo more than anyone else because of our comparatively low DPM.
I've only trialed it, but I think people are doing the Spiker a bit of a disservice.

I don't think the newest round of pistols were ever supposed to be general purpose pistols. Rather they seem designed to be niche point blank burst damage pistols. I have a lot more experience with the AMP than spiker/magshot and it really is poo poo compared to the Repeater for general use. It does perform very reliably for desperate burst or stealth executions.

For SOE from a money-making perspective I think 'interesting' trumps balancing.

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Bad job, but it pays well.
The spiker is like the phaseshift; it's great if you play with it and not against it. Which is to say, you alter your play style to fit it. It's not like other guns, it's not just 'higher accuracy or damage or less recoil'. It's a full-on change of approach. Our sidearm should normally be the weapon we swap to when we've been caught with our spandex down. You switch to it and finish off the guy with a shed of health left before he gets you. Spiker doesn't do that. It's not a quick swap - to weapon. It's a charge-up time on a weapon that should be instant fire. That's why people don't like it.

Also you can't charge it while cloaked, so no stalker cloak fun. The NC in particular got a very stalker - friendly weapon.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2dqksv/angry_joe_live_streaming_ps2_with_higby_qa/

Looks like the Striker is going to become ground Coyotes after all

Lord help us they'll probably also make each individual rocket do Decimator damage as well because TR

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Lord help us they'll probably also make each individual rocket do Decimator damage as well because TR

TR will still refuse to use it because it's not a nuke.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Trouvaille posted:

The spiker is like the phaseshift; it's great if you play with it and not against it. Which is to say, you alter your play style to fit it. It's not like other guns, it's not just 'higher accuracy or damage or less recoil'. It's a full-on change of approach. Our sidearm should normally be the weapon we swap to when we've been caught with our spandex down. You switch to it and finish off the guy with a shed of health left before he gets you. Spiker doesn't do that. It's not a quick swap - to weapon. It's a charge-up time on a weapon that should be instant fire. That's why people don't like it.

Also you can't charge it while cloaked, so no stalker cloak fun. The NC in particular got a very stalker - friendly weapon.

The problem is that the retarded charge up ability completely fucks with the timing of your shots since it adds a slight delay between clicking the mouse and bullets coming out. AFAIK there is not a single other weapon in the game that does this.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They need to increase its RoF and make the charge up a fire selector so you can swap the setting and get it to charge up or just have a burst pistol. I think most pistols should get a burst option instead of being stuck on burst/single. Give TR the option to have all pistols be full auto but tweak their damage so you dont get crazy poo poo.

Imagine a beamer with a 3 round burst or a magshot with a 2 round burst.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arghy posted:

They need to increase its RoF and make the charge up a fire selector so you can swap the setting and get it to charge up or just have a burst pistol. I think most pistols should get a burst option instead of being stuck on burst/single. Give TR the option to have all pistols be full auto but tweak their damage so you dont get crazy poo poo.

Imagine a beamer with a 3 round burst or a magshot with a 2 round burst.

I would do terrible things for a Desperado with the Rebel's damage model

OHKO's out to 15m, 5 times per mag. A real Arghy-style sidearm

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
I'm using the rebel on my worthless bush wookie on connery right now, but I want to grab the mag shot. Does the laser sight have a point at all? I'll still probably use the rebel for stalker cloak work, but I'm considering the mag shot otherwise.

The hate tells I get are pretty funny.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Gonkish posted:

TR will still refuse to use it because it's not a nuke.

More like no reason to when you got lockdown busters

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Got to have a brief chat with Higby. Despite losing some of his voice he was really cool, knew who we were etc. He stopped to talk to this young kid in a wheelchair who was way starstruck to talk to him.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

imo they just need to give VS this dummied out pistol from pre-alpha and everything will be fine.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Heaven Spacey posted:

imo they just need to give VS this dummied out pistol from pre-alpha and everything will be fine.

lmbo this will never ever happen, VS aren't allowed good guns.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Eonwe posted:

Got to have a brief chat with Higby. Despite losing some of his voice he was really cool, knew who we were etc. He stopped to talk to this young kid in a wheelchair who was way starstruck to talk to him.

Did his hair heal the child?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Heaven Spacey posted:

That's like the portrait of an OP sidearm right there. Take an AMP and give it X11 damage while changing nothing else

It's a Magshot with 3x the ROF, it's no mystery why it has never seen the light of day.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What i dont get is why make a pistol fire so fast semi when you could just make it loving full auto and save everyones mouses life spans? Its the same with the BR's why not make it full auto but just keep its RoF the same as if you clicked it fast in semi auto. A full auto beamer would be no different then someone spamming a beamer except you wouldn't need to get CT by clicking it so fast.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

So the SOE Live squad tourney is going on and it seems like no one is being tracked on the API, so there's no actual scoring yet.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I've only trialed it, but I think people are doing the Spiker a bit of a disservice.

lol no.

Heaven Spacey posted:

How on earth were you supposed to archive 952rom with a semi ?

Trouvaille
Dec 24, 2010

Bad job, but it pays well.

Westy543 posted:

So the SOE Live squad tourney is going on and it seems like no one is being tracked on the API, so there's no actual scoring yet.

That happens, just tell them to close recursion and reopen it.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
Holy gently caress the SAS-R. I had it for some reason and I don't know why, tried to check it out to see the hype, put a 3.4 and straight pull on it.....

:catstare:

Edit: ....you mean holding breath isn't necessary. Uh....wow.

Jiro Kage fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 17, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jiro Kage posted:

Holy gently caress the SAS-R. I had it for some reason and I don't know why, tried to check it out to see the hype, put a 3.4 and straight pull on it.....

:catstare:

Yep, it's a fantastic goddamn weapon, though I'm partial to the 4x crosshairs or (if I'm feeling NC as all hell) the iron sights

After it got changed to be no-sway it pretty much became the only BASR I consider to be worth a drat

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

This is from my good mate Borgoid.

He went full retard and decided to Auraxium the spiker after it was released.

It took him a week, a week in which we on mumble never heard the end of how awful it is.

He hates it more than he hates himself for doing it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That man is out of his loving mind, that poor bastard. Buy him all the beers. All of them.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Gonkish posted:

That man is out of his loving mind, that poor bastard. Buy him all the beers. All of them.
Yeah but there's a silver lining here: No one can ever say "Oh yeah? Well maybe you should go Aurax the Spiker!" as a dare or challenge. That's a powerful thing to be able to shrug off.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Gonkish posted:

He'd probably enjoy it more if I got a whip out and flogged him.

Masochistic.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Away all Goats posted:

The problem is that the retarded charge up ability completely fucks with the timing of your shots since it adds a slight delay between clicking the mouse and bullets coming out. AFAIK there is not a single other weapon in the game that does this.

Phaseshift? Lancer?

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
An interview with Higby by some guy, with alot of cool stuff, havent seen it posted here yet. Some stuff about PS4, the upcoming mission-system iterations and some other cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhvvHlHEnn4

BTW, [GOON] on Miller, are they SA-affiliated at all? They seem good, a bit dickish but good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I played the PS4 edition and I was pretty impressed. The game is basically running on ultra at 60 FPS and looks great. Apparently me and a bunch of others told them the sky on Amerish looked way better than the PS version. Its a bug they are considering fixing and making into a feature.

The control scheme is pretty abysmal though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

BRB pooping posted:

An interview with Higby by some guy, with alot of cool stuff, havent seen it posted here yet. Some stuff about PS4, the upcoming mission-system iterations and some other cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhvvHlHEnn4

BTW, [GOON] on Miller, are they SA-affiliated at all? They seem good, a bit dickish but good.

Yeah, it seems the player models are being updated as well, at least according to some files Vanu Labs found. Vanu look like Lord Recluse with spider poo poo coming out of their backs, and they have bright gaudy teal armor splotches now, which should help with night fights.

NC get to look more like football players.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Rookersh posted:

some files Vanu Labs found

where.

I need to see crazy poo poo that's coming up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

novaSphere posted:

where.

I need to see crazy poo poo that's coming up.

One of the devs I talked to mentioned new MAX suit models I think? So that kind of backs it up.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I figured what we've seen of player models from the keynote announcements were just upcoming cosmetics and not actual baseline model revamps.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
There's a picture in that interview with Higby at about 7:25 that shows a Valkyrie on the deck with an NC LA or Engie chilling on the side near the rumble seats. Google doesn't seem to have it anywhere, does anyone have the original image? I'd like to use it as a background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

If they're redoing some of the vehicles for Player Studios sake, I guess it might make sense that they'd redo player models to allow infantry armors to become a category for Player Studios as well.

• Locked thread