Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Fremry posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you and I were the two people in this thread that weren't completely blown out of the water by 3D world. I like it a lot, just not to the level of everyone else, and I think what you said is why. I also prefer my experience to be single player.

I've expressed the same opinion here, I just don't post a lot. I was expecting/hoping for something in the vein of Galaxy or Sunshine, and while 3DW is fun I don't feel it really brought anything new. Also, my gf and I had to stop playing for a while because we got so angry with each other in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ethanol posted:

is it worth renting/playing donkey kong country returns before tropical freeze?

DKC:R is a very good game that's eclipsed by TF, so if you have interest in playing it, I'd do it first.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ethanol posted:

is it worth renting/playing donkey kong country returns before tropical freeze?

You can get the 3DS version for free if you're a Platinum Club Nintendo member.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

homeless snail posted:

Most Zelda games since LTTP have the same structure. Scour the world to get the 3 macguffin balls, then wait some poo poo happened so you need somewhere between 4 and 7 of something else, better run all over the map again.
Am I missing something or is this basically a complaint of "Ugh, why does this Zelda game have so much CONTENT, I wish it were three dungeons long."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chaltab posted:

Am I missing something or is this basically a complaint of "Ugh, why does this Zelda game have so much CONTENT, I wish it were three dungeons long."

I was feeling the same way. If you want a game over sooner, stop playing it. A Zelda game with 999 dungeons is welcome over here. You can stop after three if you like, though. This is especially true of a first-party Nintendo game because while it might be delayed for three years to get all that content, it will all be pretty high quality.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SyHopeful posted:

Also, my gf and I had to stop playing for a while because we got so angry with each other in multiplayer.

That gave Miyamoto another year of youth.

Chaltab posted:

I think he means that by the first three dungeons you will have explored the whole overworld already, and that temples are fun new content that usually means retreading to areas you've already explored and simply opening small extras to get to the temples.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 16, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think he means that by the first three dungeons you will have explored the whole overworld already, and that temples are fun new content that usually means retreading to areas you've already explored and simply opening small extras to get to the temples.

So does the Dark World just not count?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Suspicious Cook posted:

You can get the 3DS version for free if you're a Platinum Club Nintendo member.

Unless you waited until today, because the offer expired yesterday. :v:

(:negative:)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Chaltab posted:

I think the original guy was talking about the Triforce piece hunt and someone else got confused and ran with it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chaltab posted:

You are missing the part where no one is complaining about it.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013
Why the gently caress does almost nobody trade in old Nintendo games? Like the only exception to these rules I've found are the DS Zeldas and Metroid Other M. I see very rarely a WWHD or a Skyward Sword, but 90% of the trade in knocked off price games for the Wii U are not Nintendo games.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Why the gently caress does almost nobody trade in old Nintendo games? Like the only exception to these rules I've found are the DS Zeldas and Metroid Other M. I see very rarely a WWHD or a Skyward Sword, but 90% of the trade in knocked off price games for the Wii U are not Nintendo games.

They're always really good and have fans dedicated to keeping them in their collection and re-playing them frequently.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

They're pretty much the only games I ever want to reply.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

They're always really good and have fans dedicated to keeping them in their collection and re-playing them frequently.

Which is why you can find the DS Zeldas and Other M

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I liked Phantom Hourglass :(

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I got a game over in Mario 3D World, huh. These special worlds are pretty tough!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
100% completion of piranha plant jungle part 2 is no joke

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

bef posted:

Yeah I mentioned this one earlier too. It's Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark, and it loving sucks.

Once you hit, I dunno, World Castle, getting all green stars starts to get really remarkably difficult. Game for kids, is it?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

bef posted:

HOW DID YOU KNOW

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I mentioned this one earlier too. It's Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark, and it loving sucks.

Once you hit, I dunno, World Castle, getting all green stars starts to get really remarkably difficult. Game for kids, is it?
My 5 year old daughter got about half of the stars in the fireflower world by herself!

She loving sucked at games before getting 3D World but now we can play tons of stuff together. Game rules.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RyokoTK posted:

Ooooh yeah, I gave up trying to get green stars after a while on that one.

The one that switches between pink and blue blocks soon after made me give up on beating every level.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

RyokoTK posted:

I think that level was the only time I was ever actually mad at SM3DW.

Well, before attempting that 30 star gauntlet or the final level, but those are givens.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

I liked Phantom Hourglass :(

Someone had to.

RyokoTK posted:

Really guys? Checking my records, I can fly through that stage in 62 seconds and I'm not even that good at the game. It's not that hard.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Really guys? Checking my records, I can fly through that stage in 62 seconds and I'm not even that good at the game. It's not that hard.

oh no is there records in this game am I going to be compelled to set crazy records on top of beating every stage five times

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

oh no is there records in this game am I going to be compelled to set crazy records on top of beating every stage five times
Yes. Enjoy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Better. When you replay the stage there's always one jerk who's done it faster than you running it at the same time and you race them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Why do you people do this to me. First Kid Icarus weapon fusion in the 3DS thread and now this my life is hell.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

Someone had to.

getting the green stars

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kaubocks posted:

Why do you people do this to me. First Kid Icarus weapon fusion in the 3DS thread and now this my life is hell.

Only Nintendo needs to make games for their systems because Nintendo games are the only games you need.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

getting the green stars

Which I did on my first try without any problem.

Also, it's now 53 seconds. :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

post a vid, wanna see your strat

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Random Stranger posted:

Thanks for the input. :jerkbag:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Holy poo poo, you can break the boulders in Galaxy by spin attacking their red spot. I don't know if I never knew this or if I'm just rediscovering it on this play through.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Random Stranger posted:

This reads like a slightly more fleshed out Miiverse post. "first try 53 seconds game is too easy"

I made some similar post for Champion's Road, but I don't think anyone ever took the bait.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So you guys thought Wonderful 101 was hard? I just got Pure Platinum for the entire game my first try with 3 models sucking my dick. You guys need to learn how to game

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Goddamn it, I'm totally going to buy a wii u before this week is out. Has anyone bought directly from Nintendo's refurbished section? $200 is a steal for a system that lets me play the next few years of Nintendo goodness.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat20002

I already have a few wii controllers laying around, so this seems like a solid deal.

And I forgot who it was, but Rayman Legends deserves to be mentioned again. It is easily on par with Nintendo's best output - looks incredible, innovative level design, and a compulsive "unlock all the things!" system that had me pulling multiple all-niter sessions.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Narcissus1916 posted:

Goddamn it, I'm totally going to buy a wii u before this week is out. Has anyone bought directly from Nintendo's refurbished section? $200 is a steal for a system that lets me play the next few years of Nintendo goodness.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat20002

I already have a few wii controllers laying around, so this seems like a solid deal.

And I forgot who it was, but Rayman Legends deserves to be mentioned again. It is easily on par with Nintendo's best output - looks incredible, innovative level design, and a compulsive "unlock all the things!" system that had me pulling multiple all-niter sessions.

I bought through the site and while there was a week delay due to the post e3 rush, it showed up and looked to be a brand new console and was able to be registered on club nintendo. Highly recommend going through the site (and I did again with my brothers gf to buy him one for his b-day).

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

homeless snail posted:

You are missing the part where no one is complaining about it.

I'm gonna go ahead and be That Guy and say that I'm not necessarily for super long games. I would have preferred Twilight Princess to have been half as long as it was, for example.

I don't need endless content; I prefer a game to be succinct and satisfying. More isn't always better to me, and I'd rather have a satisfying build up to an ending rather than just saying "yeah, I can't do this anymore" one day.

Edit: I don't really have any problems with the three-four pattern other than it being unnecessarily formulaic at this point.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 17, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nickoten posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and be That Guy and say that I'm not necessarily for super long games. I would have preferred Twilight Princess to have been half as long as it was, for example.

I don't need endless content; I prefer a game to be succinct and satisfying. More isn't always better to me, and I'd rather have a satisfying build up to an ending rather than just saying "yeah, I can't do this anymore" one day.

Finish your games, you wimp. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

For the first time ever, I accidentally walked into the teleporter before picking up the heart container. feels awful

• Locked thread