Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

:confused:

What are you talking about?
Most Zelda games since LTTP have the same structure. Scour the world to get the 3 macguffin balls, then wait some poo poo happened so you need somewhere between 4 and 7 of something else, better run all over the map again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

:confused:

What are you talking about?

The thing that happens in pretty much every Zelda since Link to the Past, where after collecting the three pendants and getting the master sword, you think you're done the game but then are eight more dungeons afterwards.

edit:whoa

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Seshoho Cian posted:

The thing that happens in pretty much every Zelda since Link to the Past, where after collecting the three pendants and getting the master sword, you think you're done the game but then are eight more dungeons afterwards.

edit:whoa

Sure, Zelda does seem to stick to strict numbers of things to do, i.e 3 then 8 or just 8, but i'm playing Okami HD which doesn't have the same kind of structure at all as far as i can tell and to be honest i feel a little lost as to where i am in the whole story, like the entire thing could come to an end at any minute.

That's not something i ever feel when playing a Zelda game. You always get a rough outline of your overall quest and that helps give you an overall sense of scale to the game.

I think the next Zelda is supposed to be a lot more openworld/freedom of progression isn't it (or am I getting that mixed up with the DS game)? That would be the best way to take the series i think. Imagine a world like the one in Shadow of the Colossus but you've got 16 dungeons to crawl through instead of giants to slay and whatever unique item you get is used for that specific dungeon and progressing through the final one.

Throw in some bonus secret dungeons that require exploration/certain item combinations to access and progress through and you'll have an awesome zelda game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Faux Mulder posted:

I broadly agree with this. It's OK that it's there but it's not particularly good and doesn't add much. It also seems to encourage competition rather than co-operation, which makes it pretty annoying to play for friends who don't play as many videogames as others and get left behind. Plus, nobody wants to play it because Mario Kart exists.

For my friends and I multiplayer is easily the best feature of the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

PoshAlligator posted:

So is it true that Wii games look better on Wii U than they did on Wii? I've found conflicting reports online -- some insist there is literally no difference.

There is no difference in the picture being rendered by the game. There is one difference though, which is the device that does the upscaling.

On the Wii, the console outputs a 480p picture (assuming you're using Component cables, which you should) to your TV, which then upscales it to your TV's native resolution (probably 1080p).

On the WiiU, the game gives the rendered 480p picture to the console, the console upscales it to the resolution you specified in the settings (probably 1080p), then outputs the upscaled picture to your TV to display.

So it depends mostly on your TV's scaler.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

greatn posted:

The escapist magazine:

Oh also multiplayer doesn't add anything apparently.

I hate the way we're still running and jumping in Mario games in The Year of Our Lord 2014. When's he going to get a gun, Nintendo!? :mad:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Notch doesn't like the Wii U? Somebody tell him that Minecraft is still one of the buggiest games of all time and that it basically needs to be built again from the ground up, why hasn't anyone done that yet? All the Minecraft clones I've seen are worse is that game hard to make?

The best thing 3D world has going for it is the multiplayer. But as someone who enjoys his Mario experience solo, I hope this isn't something that continues being the central focus of their upcoming Mario titles. Also Bowser kicks rear end and the Escapist can shove it right up Notchs' rear end.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

Notch doesn't like the Wii U?

https://twitter.com/notch/status/500021426506584064

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hate the way we're still running and jumping in Mario games in The Year of Our Lord 2014. When's he going to get a gun, Nintendo!? :mad:

Its called Mario Galaxy and its called Star Bits

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Thank goodness. My self esteem had taken a nosedive!

Are these pikmin dlc things worth it? I have five eshop bux but it mostly looks like shovelware at that price range.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Thank goodness. My self esteem had taken a nosedive!

Are these pikmin dlc things worth it? I have five eshop bux but it mostly looks like shovelware at that price range.

Theyre not bad, just a handful of new challenge mode stages.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Minecraft is a boring and buggy game that only spreglords like. Notch can take his opinion about the Wii U and cram it up his own egotistical rear end in a top hat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kin posted:

i'm playing Okami HD which doesn't have the same kind of structure at all as far as i can tell and to be honest i feel a little lost as to where i am in the whole story, like the entire thing could come to an end at any minute.

If there's one thing wrong with Okami it's that the entire second half of the game feels like it should be wrapping up any time now. "Oh, this must be the final dungeon I'm going into." "Oh, then this must be the final area." "Well, I suppose this has to be the final boss after all that." "What do you mean I still have more to do?"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kin posted:

Sure, Zelda does seem to stick to strict numbers of things to do, i.e 3 then 8 or just 8, but i'm playing Okami HD which doesn't have the same kind of structure at all as far as i can tell and to be honest i feel a little lost as to where i am in the whole story, like the entire thing could come to an end at any minute.

Yeah, Okami has an issue where there are at least three points off the top of my head that I can think of where the game could have ended but didn't so that you could go through another two dungeons. I mean, more Okami isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'd be lying if I wasn't ready for the game to end about 10 hours before it actually did.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Starhawk64 posted:

Minecraft is a boring and buggy game that only spreglords like. Notch can take his opinion about the Wii U and cram it up his own egotistical rear end in a top hat.

Minecraft is an incredibly popular game wildly successful with kids aged at least of grade school/elementary level.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

He retracted his disparaging uncalled for remark about the Wii U but I still hate him.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I take back everything nice Ive said about Wonderful 101. Why does it give you the option to not update your score when you beat it in time AND points, and then why does the cursor default to "no, keep my crappy score, please!" Im literally shaking

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

The best thing 3D world has going for it is the multiplayer. But as someone who enjoys his Mario experience solo, I hope this isn't something that continues being the central focus of their upcoming Mario titles. Also Bowser kicks rear end and the Escapist can shove it right up Notchs' rear end.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you and I were the two people in this thread that weren't completely blown out of the water by 3D world. I like it a lot, just not to the level of everyone else, and I think what you said is why. I also prefer my experience to be single player.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I never felt Multiplayer was ever the central focus of the NSMB or M3DW games. Like, its a great feature and is advertised everywhere, but the games always felt like theyre intended for singleplayer but they tossed in multiplayer for funzies.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I don't even wanna talk about 3D World anymore.

I'm right and everyone else thinks it's something that appeared after God reached down and touched the Earth with his index finger. Some people are saying it is going to be one of the games that lives throughout eternity and will be played by kids a thousand years from now. No it won't.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Tell us more about how you're TOTALLY right and all those other kids are just LYING

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm right and everyone else thinks it's something that appeared after God reached down and touched the Earth with his index finger. Some people are saying it is going to be one of the games that lives throughout eternity and will be played by kids a thousand years from now. No it won't.

Please point to where anyone said either of those things.

Its a drat good game, but nobody is calling it divine or refusing to acknowledge that it has a couple faults.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Well nobody said that but we sure all thought it (cuz its true)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

I never felt Multiplayer was ever the central focus of the NSMB or M3DW games. Like, its a great feature and is advertised everywhere, but the games always felt like theyre intended for singleplayer but they tossed in multiplayer for funzies.

I think the thing that doesn't work with my play style is the time limit. It's too tight. There are a bunch of levels that I have to play multiple times because I don't have enough time to search out and find the stars and stamp. It just feels like artificial difficulty and rushed to me. Like, it feels like I play the levels way longer than I would have to because I have to finish the level partially done to keep my progress and play through a second time to get everything rather than just giving me enough time to finish it the first time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SM3DW is literally the greatest game ever made. The title screen alone made me burst into tears, evoking such feelings I haven't felt since I was but a child-- before I became the empty husk of a man I am today. The sheer nostalgia of the familiar, yet new, mechanics and environments washes over me as I play each stage.

No video game has a right to be this beautiful and I don't see why anyone even tries to make games anymore knowing this masterpiece exists.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And lo, God gazed at the world and saw that it was good but dull. And so He said "let there be fun" and created Super Mario 3D World for the Nintendo WiiU. And it was good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The level where the platforms switch when someone jumps were totally made with multiplayer in mind. That level was designed by not simply God, but also the Devil and it was good and atrocious, chaotic and graceful.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

jivjov posted:

Please point to where anyone said either of those things.

Its a drat good game, but nobody is calling it divine or refusing to acknowledge that it has a couple faults.

Seee?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bruceski posted:

And lo, God gazed at the world and saw that it was good but dull. And so He said "let there be fun" and created Super Mario 3D World for the Nintendo WiiU. And it was good.

If anyone was wondering what that day looked like from the eyes of mere mortals.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
SM3W would have been pretty much the best game ever if it came out before the SMG games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fremry posted:

I think the thing that doesn't work with my play style is the time limit. It's too tight. There are a bunch of levels that I have to play multiple times because I don't have enough time to search out and find the stars and stamp. It just feels like artificial difficulty and rushed to me. Like, it feels like I play the levels way longer than I would have to because I have to finish the level partially done to keep my progress and play through a second time to get everything rather than just giving me enough time to finish it the first time.

This I will agree with, some levels could use a hundred more seconds if they're gonna keep Mario traditions like time and lives, so many levels reward exploration so much that I ended up having to run like hell in the last bits so just barely make it in time.

That said, I love the pressure you get from levels that start off with 30 seconds on the clock.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This I will agree with, some levels could use a hundred more seconds if they're gonna keep Mario traditions like time and lives, so many levels reward exploration so much that I ended up having to run like hell in the last bits so just barely make it in time.

That said, I love the pressure you get from levels that start off with 30 seconds on the clock.

Yeah, I don't mind the ones with short timers because they put the stars and stamps in obvious enough places that I can get through it with one run. The one that annoyed me the most was 6-3 (Hands-on Hall). That stamp was in the most obscure place that the level shouldn't have had a time limit at all. I got two stars, found the third and died before I got to the end because of the time limit without finding the stamp. There's basically no way to do that level in one run without knowing beforehand where the stars and stamp are, which frustrates me more than entertains me. It's like a timed test, you fail not because you don't know the answers, you just don't have enough time to figure them out.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

jivjov posted:

Super Mario 3D World is flawless.

vvv e: Do you want to take this outside!? :mad:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 16, 2014

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

JordanKai posted:

Super Mario 3D World is flawless

Toad's voice is bad and annoying

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Fawf posted:

Toad's voice is bad and annoying

Wrong.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Artix posted:

Yeah, Okami has an issue where there are at least three points off the top of my head that I can think of where the game could have ended but didn't so that you could go through another two dungeons. I mean, more Okami isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'd be lying if I wasn't ready for the game to end about 10 hours before it actually did.

Welll, in Okami's case you can kind gauge how far along you are because you know there are 13 Brush Techniques. Have them all? No? Then you're not done yet.

However, the Brush Techniques are severely front loaded. You get, what, half of them in the first act? Then you get exactly one per dungeon after that.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Nolgthorn posted:

Horsey av dude is loving pissed off

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Afro posted:

Wrong.

Toadsworth has proven (in a superior game) that Toads can mature out of a shrill and grating shriek of a voice and it's about god drat time more of them did

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is it worth renting/playing donkey kong country returns before tropical freeze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ethanol posted:

is it worth renting/playing donkey kong country returns before tropical freeze?

it's worth buying and playing

• Locked thread