Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

pksage posted:

The Hunt posts from a page or two ago got me thinking critically about 2.4 again. Are we going to see myth going the way of philo? Someone suggested that AF2 gear appearing in the Allied Seals store is to make the Mor Dhona myth vendor obsolete so they can retire it and introduce a new tomestone tier. Or perhaps they'll keep myth, raise the cap, and continue to make it drop like candy?

And what will the new ilvl tiers be? Myth -> sold -> unweathered is +10 on each step, but philo -> myth was +20. And Coil 1 -> Coil 2 was also +20. Will we see i110 that upgrades into i120, or i120 that upgrades into i130?

They are almost certainly going to go the 2.2 route with the new iLevel cap increase; Myth is going to vanish and Soldiery becomes the new uncapped tome level. I suspect they're just going to flat out remove purchasable unweathered gear and have Sold buy you the full i110, and make the upgrades free for existing pieces come 2.4. I expect soldiery to go uncapped and a fourth tier of tombstones to be added, but I also expect soldiery, in general, to be more difficult to acquire as a result. Basically, how when Myth got uncapped in 2.2 every existing source of Myth took a hit in terms of raw tomes awarded.

I think they made i90 trivially easy to get because if you're needing i90 at this point you are waaaaay behind the curve. So far behind, in fact, that without the seal option the average player just dinging 50 would probably be hard-pressed to catch up before 2.4 made the grind even longer. I don't expect i110 to be that easy in 2.4, but it probably will be that easy in 2.5.

They're probably going to do another 20 point jump for gear, if for no other reason than it gives crystal tower gear a niche to exist in except for glamour. Hilariously enough, thanks to hunts glamour is pretty much the only reason for ST gear to exist, since no one really gives a poo poo about getting it for upgrades. You can get upgrades so much faster elsewhere.

That's a big thing, I think. They're going to have to do something about Hunts, for sure. It's all well and good to let you cap out your tomes in a couple hours in a catch up patch but they're going to want people to run the hamster wheel a fair bit longer once we have new pieces to chase. The easiest solution is just going to be keeping the new tomes from dropping from hunts, and maybe even cutting the soldiery that's awarded from them too. Put the focus on the allied seals, and maybe shunt the i90 crafting materials over to seals as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn
Hunts are garbage. They need to not tie the endgame to it.

Time Traveler
Aug 16, 2011

I don't make promises that I can't keep.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It changes once you get sub 2.38 or so. I have to include a fracture in there otherwise I end up stepping on my dots.

Also that extra skill speed makes it so you can hit all three dots with b4b, inner release, and an x-pot of strength up. Without the SS you won't be able to get in that fracture at the tail end.

Until your GCD reaches 2.22, you don't even have the leeway to add a Fracture into your rotation without dropping the HT buff and Disembowel debuff for their re-application hits, making it vastly inferior to simply sticking with the normal rotation.

Even after your GCD reaches sub-2.22, Fracture is still never worth using on DRG. Even if you're forced to clip a tick of CT or Phleb in your rotation, it's still less of a DPS loss than spending a GCD on Fracture. It's really low potency for a DRG GCD, and since over half of it is DoT, it doesn't even get full benefit from Disembowel.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I know its old content but I gota say gently caress you Twintania and your god drat dive bombs

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kuvo posted:

I know its old content but I gota say gently caress you Twintania and your god drat dive bombs

If they took that phase out Twintania would be an easy clear.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kuvo posted:

I've only beaten Twin with the echo, but it's actually kind of sad how Echo trivializes that fight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kuvo posted:

It's a testament either to my insanity or that fight that I still enjoyed tonight's attempts with you all, despite never quite making it past divebombs/snakes.

Except that one time where she then turned and plummeted all the DPS anyway. :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Time Traveler posted:

Until your GCD reaches 2.22, you don't even have the leeway to add a Fracture into your rotation without dropping the HT buff and Disembowel debuff for their re-application hits, making it vastly inferior to simply sticking with the normal rotation.

Even after your GCD reaches sub-2.22, Fracture is still never worth using on DRG. Even if you're forced to clip a tick of CT or Phleb in your rotation, it's still less of a DPS loss than spending a GCD on Fracture. It's really low potency for a DRG GCD, and since over half of it is DoT, it doesn't even get full benefit from Disembowel.

I use fracture at the end of my second combo if I have 2+ seconds left on my HT. The only time that doesn't happen is if I have to run around a lot to avoid some sort of attack. The only move I ever do without HT up is HT itself. I'm still getting 2 of my three move combos in on a single HT buff and I now have extra time to add another GCD before the buff expires. There isn't another single move GCD that I can do with DRG that does the damage fracture does. In a long fight, the 25-30 potency you lose for clipping either phlebotomize or chaos thrust adds up quickly. So instead of taking a 30 potency loss every 30 seconds, I'm just adding in an additional dot.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ith posted:

Hunts are garbage awesome. They need to not tie the endgame to it tie them to endgame forever.

Fixed your post. Seriously though, hunts could use a little tweaking to bring them more in line with other content, it's true, but I'm all for anything that keeps me from having to speed run the same boring dungeon over and over to cap endgame currency.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
If your goal is to hit i109 as endgame then yeah hunts are overpowered as poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I just wish hunts weren't the only practical option for quick sands/oil of time. It's nice to have an over world alternative to dungeons so you don't get caught up running the same place over and over again.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Velthice posted:

Fixed your post. Seriously though, hunts could use a little tweaking to bring them more in line with other content, it's true, but I'm all for anything that keeps me from having to speed run the same boring dungeon over and over to cap endgame currency.

Yeah, if you ignore that "mobs get culled so badly half the time you can't ever hit them" thing, the "if you aren't basically there as/before they spawn they die so fast you basically get nothing" thing, and the "if you're on Excalibur and a PS3 player, you might as well not bother since the TS blacklists PS3 people" thing. :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I haven't seen any blacklisting of anyone in the TS unless they were being obnoxious dicks. Also, since much of the poopsockers have already got all their hunting done, even primetime hunting is pretty doable. S ranks are still going to be touchy, but getting to As and Bs these days isn't hard at all.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, if you ignore that "mobs get culled so badly half the time you can't ever hit them" thing, the "if you aren't basically there as/before they spawn they die so fast you basically get nothing" thing, and the "if you're on Excalibur and a PS3 player, you might as well not bother since the TS blacklists PS3 people" thing. :v:

Which is why I said it should be brought in line with other content. C'mon now, try and keep up here.

Edit: Also half of that isn't even true.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Hunts should have been added at 2.38 or whatever ends up being the last patch before 2.4, it was way too early for them introduce that level of catch up system although it probably wasn't intentional.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sendo posted:

Hunts should have been added at 2.38 or whatever ends up being the last patch before 2.4, it was way too early for them introduce that level of catch up system although it probably wasn't intentional.

They didn't at all expect entire servers to collaborate on them. I wouldn't have thought that people would do that, either.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Velthice posted:

So instead of doing dungeons you're perfectly okay with speed killing the same mobs over and over to cap endgame currency?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm pretty sure the TS doesn't blacklist PS3 players. I have heard that hunting on PS3 is pretty much impossible though, since your load times are tremendous. (This may also cause some individual parties made up of assholes to kick you, but it's not like it's a TS-wide rule)

But yes, the hunt is absolute poo poo and I loving hate it and I hate what it's done to the duty finder. (I have never seen 10+ minute healer queues for stuff like high level roulettes until the hunt was added. No one plays the actual game anymore because they're too busy hunting.)

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

So instead of doing dungeons you're perfectly okay with speed killing the same mobs over and over to cap endgame currency?

Yes actually. The world is varied enough, and the monsters look interesting enough that it keeps me pretty entertained. I like combing over areas in a glorified game of hide and seek. I like it a hell of a lot more than running some dungeon for the hundredth time. I find running dungeons/doing trials that aren't second coil (or a trollish ST with friends, but that's more me people watching) mind numbingly boring.

It's ok if you don't agree, different strokes for different folks, yea?

Time Traveler
Aug 16, 2011

I don't make promises that I can't keep.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only move I ever do without HT up is HT itself.
This is what I was talking about. If you're missing the 15% buff on each 170 potency hit of HT, that's 25.5 effective potency lost on each use.

Mr. Nice! posted:

In a long fight, the 25-30 potency you lose for clipping either phlebotomize or chaos thrust adds up quickly. So instead of taking a 30 potency loss every 30 seconds, I'm just adding in an additional dot.

The problem is that Fracture is lower total potency than you get on an average GCD from the FT combo, even before considering that Disembowel doesn't buff the DoT damage. Using Fracture may save you from clipping other DoT ticks, but it's still lower total potency than you would get from any other GCD in your rotation, averaged out.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I'm pretty sure the TS doesn't blacklist PS3 players. I have heard that hunting on PS3 is pretty much impossible though, since your load times are tremendous. (This may also cause some individual parties made up of assholes to kick you, but it's not like it's a TS-wide rule)

But yes, the hunt is absolute poo poo and I loving hate it and I hate what it's done to the duty finder. (I have never seen 10+ minute healer queues for stuff like high level roulettes until the hunt was added. No one plays the actual game anymore because they're too busy hunting.)

I hate hunts as well and never join parties for them as a result (though if I run into one while doing other poo poo I'll usually kill it), but I honestly haven't noticed a huge difference in dungeon queues. I'm on Balmung, if it matters.

I still thing hunts are stupid and can only be considered detrimental to the game as a whole, though.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Velthice posted:

Yes actually. The world is varied enough, and the monsters look interesting enough that it keeps me pretty entertained. I like combing over areas in a glorified game of hide and seek. I like it a hell of a lot more than running some dungeon for the hundredth time. I find running dungeons/doing trials that aren't second coil (or a trollish ST with friends, but that's more me people watching) mind numbingly boring.

It's ok if you don't agree, different strokes for different folks, yea?

Different strokes for different folks doesn't really apply at the point where one of the two forms of gearing up has such a tight grip around the other one's neck that you're considered stupid for not doing the more efficient one, sorry.

Remember, they didn't put Sands into CT 2.35 because they "didn't want people to gear up too quickly".

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
how to securely store passwords and never lose them:

1. download KeePass
2. create an encrypted .kdbx file with an easy to remember but secure master password (Ctrl+F "Schneier scheme" )
3. upload your .kdbx to an encrypted cloud service like Dropbox
4. download the KeePass app on your smartphone (which has Dropbox file support)

protips:
- don't use your .kdbx master password as the account password for dropbox :downs:
- enable 2-factor authentication for Dropbox and use Authy

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

Different strokes for different folks doesn't really apply at the point where one of the two forms of gearing up has such a tight grip around the other one's neck that you're considered stupid for not doing the more efficient one, sorry.

Man, it's almost like I said hunts shouldn't be brought in line with other content. Oh wait.

quote:

Seriously though, hunts could use a little tweaking to bring them more in line with other content, it's true,
All I'm saying is I enjoy doing hunts, and I would still do them even if they didn't lead to sands and oils if it meant I could stay out of dungeons. And if they didn't do that I would do them anyway, because I am a vanity gear whore.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Velthice posted:

Man, it's almost like I said hunts shouldn't be brought in line with other content. Oh wait.

All I'm saying is I enjoy doing hunts, and I would still do them even if they didn't lead to sands and oils if it meant I could stay out of dungeons. And if they didn't do that I would do them anyway, because I am a vanity gear whore.

everyone is a vanity gear whore. Its funny, for a while everything was a wasteland and everyone was solely focused on hunts, now people are slotting out 110 everywhere but no one wants to look identical so you have people running odd and esoteric stuff just to get pretty gear since all the stuff to compete with the sold 110 gear is burred in fights that need actual brain power.

Unrelated note (:v:), I so need to start second coil, but I also want to be a pretty pretty swan. Gettin pretty good at frontlines.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The alternative is to clear coil every week.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Maintenance on the 18th for the new patch. Have any notes been leaked yet?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Them DPS Queue blues.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I waited 55mins for Ramuh Hard last night. Fun times.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I tried to queue in, but either the queue was backed up more than 4 more DPS or you got one, 'cause I didn't get no monks.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Shameful fists of wind there.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Shameful fists of wind there.

i was holding it for a friend, i swear

Niton posted:

I tried to queue in, but either the queue was backed up more than 4 more DPS or you got one, 'cause I didn't get no monks.

Oh! Thanks, but yeah, after like an hour and five minutes I finally got into one.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 17, 2014

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Sorry, I can't hear you over my 80-minute Frontlines queues.

:suicide:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Apparently Rogue gets some kind of TP regen ability or trait. I wonder if it'll be cross-classable if it's an ability.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Eat it non-gridanians, as I enjoy my near instant frontline queues. :smug:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Shaezerus posted:

Sorry, I can't hear you over my 80-minute Frontlines queues.

:suicide:

give me that loving hat

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

pksage posted:

Apparently Rogue gets some kind of TP regen ability or trait. I wonder if it'll be cross-classable if it's an ability.

Meele Aetherflow, neat. But yeah no way its cross class lest you turn Bards into unlimited AOE death batteries, a pair could rotate paeon and TP refresh for unlimited rain of death goodness for amounts that would make a black mage blush without having to plant other than for the song. Not that I'm a huge fan of add mechanics but they would never exist again. It makes sense for a dot class to get it since you cant really spike a dot (yeah yeah raging strikes and fester, but you cant speed up the ticks) and after all Rogue does not sound too far off of a meele summoner. You cant give that to direct damage classes without horrific balance issues.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
People talking about fast gearing for sands/oils via hunts are either the lucky bastards who manage to log in for a couple hours when most/all S rank mobs end up popping as well as a bunch of A ranks, or forget the whole "spend several hours of almost non-stop activity" to cap soldiery. That's really not much different from groups blitzing Hardflox for soldiery prior to 2.2 and yeah Hunts are as effective as they are because people got properly organized. After I burned out on hunts that first weekend of 2.3 most linkshells died and then the TS came about and solved many problems inherent with just replying on link shells and people not just doing little to nothing.

Verranicus posted:

Do hunts if you want to skip over a good chunk of the game (level 50 dungeons) and get bored faster once you get that sweet, sweet gear in 2 hours.

I have an entire set of warrior myth gear and jewelry and I'll probably grab SCH or SMN gear next and go from there. Maybe I'll never level other classes to 50 (entirely possible) but being able to immediately throw on an i90 set is nice. Plus it's not like new players are going to suddenly hate a dungeon more or less because the gear from it isn't an upgrade to them. If people were only running dungeons for tomes and not because they enjoyed the content then forcing them back in to content they didn't enjoy isn't the way to go about things.

DemonTrigger posted:

It's a shame that the black bomb pattern yukata is male only. I imagine it would match well with the CT1 pants.

The Blackflame Yukata perfectly matches CT1 monk gear. I glamored it on to my Monk as soon as I got my hands on it. It goes with the pants, boots, and gauntlets and looks better than the CT1 body does to boot. :c00lbert:

I'll put up a picture of it later. I need to find a better headpiece to go with the outfit. The CT2 helm didn't fit at all and while an eyepatch works I know there's a better option other there (other than the Behemoth mask).

Kyrosiris posted:

Isn't Vandes or one of the FHC guys playing via PS3? I know the party I ran the other day had a couple console players in it at one point.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I think I hit 2+ hours for Hard Levi and Gilgamesh, when I mentioned the latter one in FC I got a group in around 5 minutes and that was at stupid o'clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Chucat posted:

I think I hit 2+ hours for Hard Levi and Gilgamesh, when I mentioned the latter one in FC I got a group in around 5 minutes and that was at stupid o'clock

Everyone will Greg, but no one will queue Greg.

At the right times I think you can get like three full parties just for asking about it in Company chat.

• Locked thread