Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I don't even know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

These look like cups of coffee wrapped in black napkins. Wait... are they trying to say Starbucks supports Islamic extremists :tinfoil:

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Why do people who hold this sentiment think that Islam is so monolithic rather than a religion with tons of internal and international disagreement on religious doctrine as well as an inherited cultural identity?

It's almost like they want Islam to be the only thing in the history of this planet that doesn't change, so they can keep their moral compass calibrated to true north while spinning around and around with their personal, but "deeply held" beliefs, which, seam to stem from logic and reason and are informed and supported by their own religion - that were totally not indoctrinated in to them from their parents and geolocation of their birth- rather than reaction and fear.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Excuse me, how very dare you suggest that the perfect faith of Christ has changed since he wrote the King James 1611 Bible whilst on the Cross at Calvary.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
"Why do people who hold this sentiment think that Islam is so monolithic rather than" Racism. The answer is racism.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

"Silly liberal Islam isn't a race so I am not racist. It's also not a religion, it's a political ideology so we can ban it. :smug:"

This is an argument I have seen in earnest in quite a few places.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Infomaniac posted:

Why do people who hold this sentiment think that Islam is so monolithic rather than a religion with tons of internal and international disagreement on religious doctrine as well as an inherited cultural identity?

Because it's gratifying to picture yourself as a heroic crusader against the evil heathen hordes.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Infomaniac posted:

It's almost like they want Islam to be the only thing in the history of this planet that doesn't change, so they can keep their moral compass calibrated to true north while spinning around and around with their personal, but "deeply held" beliefs, which, seam to stem from logic and reason and are informed and supported by their own religion - that were totally not indoctrinated in to them from their parents and geolocation of their birth- rather than reaction and fear.

I always thought that Islam had very little internal disagreement (radical extremists aside, of course), due to a lessened focus on the worship of men and a dislike of translations or rewording the Koran.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Fulchrum posted:

I always thought that Islam had very little internal disagreement (radical extremists aside, of course), due to a lessened focus on the worship of men and a dislike of translations or rewording the Koran.

Well, even when only looking at big and really important things, we get at least Shia, Sunni and Sufi muslims.

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

This is overwhelmingly the way Islam is portrayed in the west, but Islam actually has an amazingly fractious history both on sectarian and doctrinal levels. Everyone uses the same Koran, true, and the text is the same as it's always been, but as a proportion of the religious texts of Islam, the Koran itself makes up only a tiny piece of the picture, even if it's the most important part. The remainder is mostly filled in with Hadith, which are the accounts of the sayings, teachings, and works of the Prophet, and those are almost hilariously contentious among scholars and laypersons alike.

The infallibility of the Koran doesn't really help that it's missing a lot of the necessary doctrine to form the kind of comprehensive faith that Islam is charged with being, so it was left to people to fill in the gaps. Even immediately following the death of the Prophet, the fact that he hadn't given specific instructions regarding the ascendancy of leadership of the faith caused the Sunni-Shia split, and they and their respective subgroupings have had fifteen hundred years to develop their own opinions and traditions about the strength and relevance of different Hadith as well as incorporate pre-Islamic traditions into their religious practice. (FGM is a good example, that's straight-up a North African regional thing that both Christian and Muslim Egyptians practice in roughly equal measure, yet Monolithic Global Islam constantly gets tarred with that brush.)

Muslim friends have shared with me the adage "Ask one question of two Muslims; get three answers", which sums it up in my experience.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

The military situation in the Middle East would like a word with you. The Sunni/Shia split is the big one, of course, and while theologically it's not as big a split as the Great Schism or the Reformation it is still a pretty major divide in the faith.

Where people coming from a Christian perspective get confused is that there is no Mother Church in the same sense of Catholicism and very little ecumenical discussion - the situation is much closer to the Jewish Rabinnical system, with individual scholars all putting in their own interpretation meaning that mosques on the same street and of the same sect may still have widely different opinions on all sorts of issues. However the overarcing belief that "God knows what's in your heart, so don't try to fool him" means that an awful lot of the rules-lawyering that goes on in Judaism and Christianity doesn't exist, making the divisions and disagreements within Islam much less visible to the outsider.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Good luck parsing the text at the bottom.

e: got another one

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I only pay...

In lead. :madmax: :golgo: :clint:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

That would be weird. Good thing it's a complete fabrication. And that America's benefits are far less than most other advanced countries give.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

borkencode posted:

How does someone care enough about guns to get fancy full-color printed checks, while not knowing the case doesn't get to hit the target? Bullets don't look like that when they exit.

Is this what happens when you have a blank loaded properly, behind a regular bullet awkwardly stuffed into the front of the barrel, so only the rearmost striking pin gets engaged, sending your regular bullet out unspent? Is that a fetish or something?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

They don't have to be radical extremists, if you talk about Shia in a Sunni country the chance is quite good that you'll get some rather angry responses.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

sweart gliwere posted:

How does someone care enough about guns to get fancy full-color printed checks, while not knowing the case doesn't get to hit the target? Bullets don't look like that when they exit.

Is this what happens when you have a blank loaded properly, behind a regular bullet awkwardly stuffed into the front of the barrel, so only the rearmost striking pin gets engaged, sending your regular bullet out unspent? Is that a fetish or something?

We fire the whole bullet! That's 65% more bullet per bullet.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
It's almost like people like the good things about the U.S. and hate the bad things about it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hahahahahahahaha

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Adequate posted:

That would be weird. Good thing it's a complete fabrication. And that America's benefits are far less than most other advanced countries give.

Yeah but we have more freedom. Check and mate, libtard. :smaug:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

When you hold it under a blacklight, the memo area says "I AM A GIANT RETARD" and the back says "SUPPORT BERETTA'S MAGNETIC HAND-RAILGUNS BUT KEEP BUYING CONVENTIONAL BULLETS TOO"

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

borkencode posted:

Good luck parsing the text at the bottom.

Of COURSE they're paying with a check. Of course.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Of COURSE they're paying with a check. Of course.

My psychiatrist insists on me paying by check. So despite paying for just about everything else in my life electronically I still have to have a checkbook at the ready, and from what I hear this is pretty across the board for people in mental healthcare.

I am insinuating that people who buy checkbooks with guns on them need therapy :v:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You might have something there...

SUPPORT 2nd AMENDMENT :downsgun:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I hope the graphic designer who got this job intentionally made it look dumb.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
PRO CAR PERSONAL CHECKS

*picture of car staying in place while four tires roll down the street*

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

SedanChair posted:

PRO CAR PERSONAL CHECKS

*picture of car staying in place while four tires roll down the street*

You are close!

https://www.google.com/search?q=nas...iw=1600&bih=775

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I was hoping there were pro-life checks with gruesome pictures of aborted fetuses because those would be the most awesome checks ever to pay my rent with, but I could only find these:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Thought that was a titty at first.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I paid for groceries with a check today. But it didn't say anything about my political beliefs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

I paid for groceries with a check today. But it didn't say anything about my political beliefs.
It indicates that you are elderly, and thus likely Republican.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

borkencode posted:

Free bullet with my check?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My idiot college friend is back again, just asking questions.

New eyewitness recordings have surfaced implicating Mike Brown in rampant thuggery! Will this truth remain the sole province of Tea Party Patriots or will Eric Holder suppress it personally?!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

sweart gliwere posted:

What strikes me as odd is the curious silence of all the posters who insist that one must know everything about guns if one supports even the smallest measure of gun control.

They want to regulate guns? Better know everything there is to know about them! Irrationally cling to guns as a way of life? Meh.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

this is simply amazing, the designer has never used a firearm and yet you know people are buying this abortion and yelling hell yeah

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

What strikes me as odd is the curious silence of all the posters who insist that one must know everything about guns if one supports even the smallest measure of gun control.

Yeah, those imaginary people sure are quiet when you take your psych medication.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 18, 2014

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Wanderer posted:

My idiot college friend is back again, just asking questions.

New eyewitness recordings have surfaced implicating Mike Brown in rampant thuggery! Will this truth remain the sole province of Tea Party Patriots or will Eric Holder suppress it personally?!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

LeJackal posted:

Yeah, those imaginary people sure are quiet when you take your psych medication.

Loaded clip.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Loaded clip.

Got one right here.

Loaded en bloc clip on the left, an empty one on the right.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

LeJackal posted:

Got one right here.

What a coincidence!

quote:

Loaded en bloc clip on the left, an empty one on the right.
Hahahahaha.