Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Fair point, but being able to have a machine shop with a mill and water jet and forge and whatever else you could want to wrought intricate custom metal and do fabrication would probably help any magical endeavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Loving Life Partner posted:

Fair point, but being able to have a machine shop with a mill and water jet and forge and whatever else you could want to wrought intricate custom metal and do fabrication would probably help any magical endeavor

Or, gently caress, having enough zeros in the bank to pay svartalves to handle that poo poo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Doubtful. Harry would be completely incapable of actually using a facility like that; he'd hex a water jet to death in minutes just by being in the same room as it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Khizan posted:

Doubtful. Harry would be completely incapable of actually using a facility like that; he'd hex a water jet to death in minutes just by being in the same room as it.

Now I really want to read that short story.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Khizan posted:

Well, as long as he's a few states over as they're actually _doing_ the fabrication...

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Butcher said somewhere that maintaining his magical tools is the equivalent of a part time job. I think time, not money, has always been the limiting factor on how many magical tools Harry has access to.

This won't be a problem once his standing army Little Folk 'level up'. He'll have his own elves! Take that Kringle!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
While SI has had some members who are aware of super natural issues and know what its about, like Murphy's dad, its mostly there to investigate weird poo poo and provide a plausible explanation for why people think they saw a werewolf disembowel their husband. Its also there to dump lovely cases, cops who hosed up one way or another, and is generally the the place under the rug where things get swept.

IfLester Freamon did police work in chicago instead of baltimore, hed have been dumped in SI instead of the pawn shop unit. Lester probably wouldve had a few shotgun shells loaded with rocksalt though too.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

This won't be a problem once his standing army Little Folk 'level up'. He'll have his own elves! Take that Kringle!

Has it ever been explained why Toot is getting bigger? Is it because his influence among the Little Folk is spreading?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

apostateCourier posted:

Has it ever been explained why Toot is getting bigger? Is it because his influence among the Little Folk is spreading?

Because his liege lord, Harry, is getting stronger and has a high rank inside the faerie hierarchy. That also explains why Toot and his mooks are now Winter instead of being wild fae like they were in the first books.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

As far as I'm aware, it's because he's making deals with Harry constantly, and the Fae get stronger the more deals they make. It's explicitly stated that the really powerful Sidhe like Lea earned their positions by making lots of bargains with mortals, and Harry is feeding Toot pizza every week!

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

IfLester Freamon did police work in chicago instead of baltimore, hed have been dumped in SI instead of the pawn shop unit. Lester probably wouldve had a few shotgun shells loaded with rocksalt though too.

Goddamn, now I want HBO to make a Dresden Files/The Wire crossover, complete with McNulty banging white court vamps, Bunk arguing with Lea and Rawls being an rear end in a top hat to everyone.

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?
One thing that I find odd is that in Small Favor Harry almost kills Nicodemus, and down the line he remarks that he doesn't think anyone else has figured out the secret to it.

...So shouldn't he be telling everyone he can (Knights, Church, Murphy, whoever) about this instead of apparently not saying a word to anyone?

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Maybe he was afraid it would put a great big old target on Harry and his friends if word got back to Nicky that his secret was being spread around. Of course now that the Denarions are pissed at them anyway I'd hope at least Sanya and Butters are told.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yomtom posted:

One thing that I find odd is that in Small Favor Harry almost kills Nicodemus, and down the line he remarks that he doesn't think anyone else has figured out the secret to it.

...So shouldn't he be telling everyone he can (Knights, Church, Murphy, whoever) about this instead of apparently not saying a word to anyone?

Long story short, Harry thinks that in the future he might really need a necktie.

Jim Rustler
May 16, 2014

by Ralp
the dogs pissed and poo poo all over the living room again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jim Rustler
May 16, 2014

by Ralp
I will probably withhold breakfast as punishment

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Just finished Skin Game, thoughts dump coming (yeah I'm late, being poor and relying on the library sucks)

Overall I liked it a lot. It was uneven in places, but I thought the "long con" that Butcher pulled off was executed nicely, if a bit heavy handed. Like. I didn't even understand the significance of the part where he's talking to Kringle and says he'll answer questions with the first word when addressed by Goodman Gray as "wizard"? Or something? I went back through the book and couldn't find any evidence of signals and it was just awkward.

The deal with this was that whatever question followed the use of the word wizard was answered with the first word said by the other, with the rest of the sentence as cover. Questions like Grey asking Harry if he wanted whatshisface (Harvey?) retrieved alive, or if he wants things to devolve into end game yet, etc. The best example is when Grey ended a sentence with the word wizard after walking in at the end covered in blood, Harry asks if he killed Anna, he answered "No particular reason not to" and only the No mattered, letting Harry know he didn't kill her. Searching for that particular word is easier on a kindle, to be fair, haha.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Illuyankas posted:

The deal with this was that whatever question followed the use of the word wizard was answered with the first word said by the other, with the rest of the sentence as cover. Questions like Grey asking Harry if he wanted whatshisface (Harvey?) retrieved alive, or if he wants things to devolve into end game yet, etc. The best example is when Grey ended a sentence with the word wizard after walking in at the end covered in blood, Harry asks if he killed Anna, he answered "No particular reason not to" and only the No mattered, letting Harry know he didn't kill her. Searching for that particular word is easier on a kindle, to be fair, haha.

I don't know if I would have ever noticed any of this if it hadn't been pointed out to me. Maybe I should read the books on my re-read instead of listening to the audiobooks.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

mrking posted:

I don't know if I would have ever noticed any of this if it hadn't been pointed out to me. Maybe I should read the books on my re-read instead of listening to the audiobooks.

There are a bunch of other things too like Making harry know he didn't kill the banker guy and asking harry if michael was on the up and up

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

OptimusWang posted:

Goddamn, now I want HBO to make a Dresden Files/The Wire crossover, complete with McNulty banging white court vamps, Bunk arguing with Lea and Rawls being an rear end in a top hat to everyone.

I can just see a Denarian lookout running back to warn the others:

"Sanya comin'."

Fake edit: "I'm a Knight of the Cross. I redeems Denarians."

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
Mouse!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBTaMDfRFtI

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

My folks have an English Mastiff. When my dad's goddaughter was really young she'd ride him like a horse. I can't believe I never made that kind of connection.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

I really liked Skin Game. It felt good to have Butcher dial back the heaviness a bit after such heavy hitters like the previous 3 books. I wonder if Butters is going to start training with the Einherjar now since the last time he was asked he said he would as soon as he got a working lightsaber.

I'm on a re-read of the series and I'm on Cold Days right now. I just noticed for the first time that (spoiled in case new readers are here: Ghost Story, Cold Days) Demonreach actually confirms that he was Silence in Ghost Story. When he's talking to Dresden in the prison and Harry asks for an explanation for the building power he says, "YOU ARE TOO LIMITED, IT WOULD DAMAGE YOU, AS IT DAMAGED YOUR SPIRIT."

I was just working on assumptions that it was him, but the whole "preconsidered vocabulary" thing threw me off until I realized he hadn't actually spoken before.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So, halfway through Ghost Story, and it really bugs me how loving casual everyone is about Harry being loving dead. It's like he popped out of town for six months and the fact that he's undead is like a minor sidenote to most people.

:geno: "Oh 'sup Harry, long time no see. I heard you died?"
:ghost: "Yeah it's pretty annoying."
:geno: "Oh so long as you're here can you help us out with some crazy supernatural poo poo like we normally do? Oh and we've all acquired plot devices that allow you to see and hear you despite you being invisible and dead."
:ghost: "Sure no big."

It doesn't help that Harry's reaction to dying is so deadpan. You'd think he'd be slightly more upset at the crushing finality of it, since there's literally never been a reference to anyone dying and being resurrected. It doesn't seem to be a thing that is remotely possible in this universe. He's also extremely blasé about the overwhelming odds of spending a joyless eternity having his personality and humanity slowly drain out of him and turning into a wraith.

I know that, obviously, by some crazy miracle plot device he'll get resurrected at the end of it all since he's alive int he next book. I just feel this premise could have been handled way better.

It's still an alright read, but it's by far the weakest of the series, so far.

Oh and while I'm at it, what's up with everyone hating Marcone? It would be slightly more believable if we ever saw the guy do anything but be super helpful and an indispensable ally to Harry and the gang. Yeah, we're told that he's mr. super bad criminal man who done some bad stuff, but it's really, really hard to take it seriously since we never see any of it.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

Geisladisk posted:

You'd think he'd be slightly more upset at the crushing finality of it, since there's literally never been a reference to anyone dying and being resurrected.

Kemmler was killed several times and came back. Harry mentions it in a few books.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, it always struck me as kinda odd that Harry isn't friendlier to Marcone. Like, at all. Marcone is only ever vaguely implied to be a horrible bastard, and shown to be remorseful and seeking redemption for some of the horrible poo poo he did, especially when it comes to innocent bystanders.

I mean the dude does run a hugely profitable criminal enterprise, which regularly like sells drugs and poo poo and that's more or less heinous unless he's a very progressive drug dealer and doesn't sell to addicts and does like needle exchanges and community outreach stuff. Nevermind the violence and etc.

Though in a couple of years Marcone will probably be full on legitimate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Yeah, it always struck me as kinda odd that Harry isn't friendlier to Marcone. Like, at all. Marcone is only ever vaguely implied to be a horrible bastard, and shown to be remorseful and seeking redemption for some of the horrible poo poo he did, especially when it comes to innocent bystanders.

I mean the dude does run a hugely profitable criminal enterprise, which regularly like sells drugs and poo poo and that's more or less heinous unless he's a very progressive drug dealer and doesn't sell to addicts and does like needle exchanges and community outreach stuff. Nevermind the violence and etc.

Harry looked into Marcone's soul, remember? Marcone has a shred of humanity in him but he's still a terrible person who runs a criminal enterprise that profits of the misery of others. He is less bad than some but he's still bad.

Now, it would still be smart of Harry to try to stay on his good side but Harry Dresden is physically incapable of ever trying to stay on someone's good side unless they are anything less than a full-on God and he is in their domain. And sometimes not even then.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 26, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SpookyLizard posted:

Well Harry knows exactly how far Marcone is willing to go to achieve his goals, but yeah if it wan't for the soulgaze he would be friendlier.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think that Marcone is probably the weakest part of Butcher's writing. I hate hate hate being that guy going "show, don't tell", but goddamnit. If Marcone is a bad guy show me him being a bad guy, don't just tell me he's one while you write him in as somebody who is, essentially, one of the good guys.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Really hope Even Hand makes into the next short story anthology.

Also besides the murdering and drugrunning he runs a brothel, and Harry's Harry.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Khizan posted:

I think that Marcone is probably the weakest part of Butcher's writing. I hate hate hate being that guy going "show, don't tell", but goddamnit. If Marcone is a bad guy show me him being a bad guy, don't just tell me he's one while you write him in as somebody who is, essentially, one of the good guys.

Isn't there a Marcone short story that opens with him murdering a couple of people to send a message?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Khizan posted:

Marcone is annoying precisely because we're only ever told he's bad. Every time he shows up he never does anything except care about children and provide Harry with massive material support and goony backup. He's evil-by-exposition.

"Well, there comes that loving jerk Marcone again with a bunch of hardcore badasses and unlimited funding to back me up in my fight against evil. What a loving dipshit. Man, I hate that guy."

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

It is unfortunate, but I chalk it up to Marcone being far too smart to do anything that would set Harry off directly in front of him. That would be a really, really bad idea. His entire MO regarding Harry is to show that he's a reasonable businessman, while behind the scenes running his criminal empire.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I totally agree about Marcone never being shown as evil being an annoyance. I kind of hope Marcone slips up at some point and shows his true nature in front of Harry so that Harry can smack him down hard. Marcone being completely unreasonable and dickish at the end of Skin Game gives me hope.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Wittgen posted:

I totally agree about Marcone never being shown as evil being an annoyance. I kind of hope Marcone slips up at some point and shows his true nature in front of Harry so that Harry can smack him down hard. Marcone being completely unreasonable and dickish at the end of Skin Game gives me hope.

Harry would probably still go after him, but he is a signatory of the Accords so it would bring a shitstorm.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The books are called the Dresden files. You'll note Laura and Marcone don't get killed by dresden like the cackling necromancers/black court/random goons do. That's because they understand "Harry is dangerous" and thus don't push his buttons.

I mean, there's thousands of pages of people being cackling bad guys, who get Dresdened. Then there's these two characters that are 'bad by exposition' because Harry is constantly reminding himself that they're evil even when they do everything they can to avoid giving him an excuse.

Go read Even Hand if you want more insight into outside-of-harry's-line-of-sight Marcone. He's a consumate businessman, he does what he has to do to take care of what he cares about and the devil take the rest. That means treating Dresden well because Irritating Dresden has been shown to be Unwise.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I had no idea people were annoyed by Marcone. He's awesome!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
He is awesome. I think people are more annoyed at how Dresden goes on and on about how horrible he is without us ever actually seeing him being evil.

I think comparing him to Lara actually helps make the point. Both Lara and Marcone are professional monsters who stay out of Dresden's way or aim him at unprofessional monster as suits their needs. Lara, however, has never seemed to be anything other than monstrous. I've never doubted her evil, but Marcone just doesn't seem very bad.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wittgen posted:

He is awesome. I think people are more annoyed at how Dresden goes on and on about how horrible he is without us ever actually seeing him being evil.

I think comparing him to Lara actually helps make the point. Both Lara and Marcone are professional monsters who stay out of Dresden's way or aim him at unprofessional monster as suits their needs. Lara, however, has never seemed to be anything other than monstrous. I've never doubted her evil, but Marcone just doesn't seem very bad.

Marcone's crimes seem to be:

-Selling drugs (not to kids)
-Prostitution (ethically)
-Gambling???
-Bribing officials
-Killing rival criminals, who are all decidedly Bad Guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
And stealing the Shroud of Turin.