Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

That's another reason to have Bumi be part of the fight. This is a fight involving all three of Aang and Katara's kids you guys! How cool is that!? They're over the hill (Bumi is retired for chrissake) but they're going down fighting four of the toughest benders we've ever seen to give their dad's dream a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Kinda disappointed Kya isn't a better water bender. Katara was straight up OP and Kya.. isn't.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kya spent most of her life being a hippy stoner and "finding herself". That she performed as well as she did is very impressive in that context.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Kya isn't a dedicated martial artist, she's a travelling healer. She knows waterbending katas as a matter of course and doubtless has some talent, but there's no way she's dedicated her life to combat forms in the same way that someone like Tenzin or Ming-hua has.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Superstring posted:

That's another reason to have Bumi be part of the fight. This is a fight involving all three of Aang and Katara's kids you guys! How cool is that!? They're over the hill (Bumi is retired for chrissake) but they're going down fighting four of the toughest benders we've ever seen to give their dad's dream a chance.

Yeah, that's what I loved about the scene, getting to see all Aang's kids falling together despite the bickering and having an awesome fight to protect the helpless.

Irish Joe posted:

Kinda disappointed Kya isn't a better water bender. Katara was straight up OP and Kya.. isn't.

She did pretty good for being up against who might be the most dangerous waterbender alive.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Nephthys posted:

Kya spent most of her life being a hippy stoner and "finding herself". That she performed as well as she did is very impressive in that context.

Turns out having to be on the run from an enemy army every single day forces you to be pretty tough.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I can't wait to see the Red Lotus get ruined, I'm tired of them winning all of their fights.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Superstring posted:

I don't think Tenzin is that over the hill really

Azubah posted:

I can't wait to see the Red Lotus get ruined, I'm tired of them winning all of their fights.
Hey at least they are actively fighting and not sending proxies while at the end of each episode go "Everything is going according to plan"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't think Tenzin is that over the hill really

I'm not sure what the exact ages are of Aang's kids (also, the fact that a lot of these characters seemingly have no last names makes it kind of awkward to talk about descendents of Aang without repeatedly saying "Aang's kids"), but even Tenzin, the youngest, has to be in his mid or late 50s. Not "over the hill", but they're not exactly the typical action hero age. That's one of the reasons I like this and ATLA so much. The cast is very diverse ethnically and age-wise, and shows people you don't see represented often in media. I made a post about this before, but the fact that three of the biggest characters are also childless and single in their 50's or 60's is rather rare too for television.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^Tenzin is 52. As far as I know Kya and Bumi haven't been given official ages, so they're probably in their mid 50's / early 60's.

Azubah posted:

Normally I'd agree, but it's not bothering me nearly as much as Amon's bullshit plot armor. They're all really talented but perfectly capable of getting in over their heads (Zaheer vs Tonraq & Tenzin, the whole group at Zaofu) and in the last episode Tenzin was dominating Zaheer and fighting well 3v1, only going down to the whole Red Lotus acting as a well oiled machine 4v1. Basically what I'm saying is that the the show's done a good job so far of showing that the Red Lotus is dangerous but not invincible, and that their true strength comes from their teamwork. Compare to Amon who got into a fight almost every episode yet was never hit once until the finale.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 17, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The fact that the Red Lotus' true strength comes from their teamwork is yet another way they're kind of an anti-Gaang, which is also pretty cool.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The last time we had an 'anti-gaang' was with Azula, Mai & Ty-Lee. I always loved their battles.

I wonder if we'll see anyting more from the Kyoshi Warriors?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think Ming Hua, was originally a swamp bender. For the most part, all of the northern or southern water tribe benders have been brunettes whereas Ming Hua and a few other swamp benders have black hair. I think it could be an important influence into her bending because the swamp benders seemed to be more inclined to use waterbending as an extension of themselves (like Ming Hua's limbs and the gurus swamp monsters) whereas the other tribes where more likely to weaponize water with various ice attacks.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Azubah posted:

I don't know, they've been almost hilariously ineffective at achieving their goals up until this most recent episode. Zaheer tries to infiltrate the new Airbenders in hopes that Korra will be at the Air Temple. She isn't and he's discovered. The team tries to capture Korra at Metal City, they're discovered and their plan fails and they have to escape. They try to kidnap Korra in the desert, but the Earth Queen beats them to her. They try to make a bargain with the Earth Queen for Korra, but it turns out she's not going to show up, so they have to switch to Plan B.

They really are the Anti-Gaang in that, while they're powerful benders, they seem to just barely scrape by and their plans pretty much never go off without a hitch.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
So, I would assume you get Lavabending from somehow augmenting your bending to cause the earth particles to vibrate rapidly and turn it into lava.

Theoretically a very advanced waterbender should be able to generate steam explosions this way.

Also a very advanced air bender should be able to flash-freeze entire fields of air by making air particles go suddenly still, much like a waterbender does with ice. Also they could create fields of combustion by making air particles vibrate and cause pressure explosions and set stuff on fire.

If you haven't been keeping up, airbenders also regularly tear poo poo apart with vacuums. I guess if you take airbending far enough, it gets pretty freaking terrifying. Those nomads must have been peaceful for a reason.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Part of what has made the Red Lotus almost sympathetic is that they struggle and face setbacks just like the heroes do. They've hardly been invincible (in fact, one of the most memorable moments for me was Zaheer crying out "We failed!" after they lost Korra at Zaofu).

And yeah, it's way more engaging than an antagonist that is virtually untouchable (Amon, Fire Lord Ozai) until the finale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tsinava posted:

Theoretically a very advanced waterbender should be able to generate steam explosions this way.

We've seen waterbenders do that before actually.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Superstring posted:

Because he's a soldier and the only other experienced fighter around. Tenzin wasn't about to order his kids or the newbie Airbenders into fighting.

Also worth remembering that we saw in season 2 that Bumi carries combat knives around with him... Being on a kids show is the only reason that Ghazan didn't end that fight with his throat slashed.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ImpAtom posted:

We've seen waterbenders do that before actually.

IIRC, Katara also cooks stew without fire in ATLA.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Calico Noose posted:

Also worth remembering that we saw in season 2 that Bumi carries combat knives around with him... Being on a kids show is the only reason that Ghazan didn't end that fight with his throat slashed.

Bumi runs into alot of the problems Sokka did combat wise.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

SirKibbles posted:

Bumi runs into alot of the problems Sokka did combat wise.

Like "how do I use my [awesome space] sword, an instrument that historically existed solely to kill people"?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The little airbending kids would wreck Boomy he's so wack

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
A talented airbender should be able to cause intense pressure waves and shockwaves by alternately compressing and releasing air. More than just a gale-force wind, an Avatar-level airbender should be able to cause fuel-air-bomb-like explosions.

Actually, if you think about it, there's really nothing stopping an airbender from performing the same phase-shifting that waterbenders do instinctively, and which Ghazan, presumably, learned to do with rock. An airbender should be able to create super-cooled jets of liquified air, or even oxygen or nitrogen ice.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's probably really hard and would first require realizing that air even can be a liquid, something that would be a bit out of place in the setting. All this chi poo poo is not real physics.

Bumi probably isn't in the habit of filling his novice airbender robes with knives.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder why there aren't, like, bending scientists or something, who are trying to figure out how all this stuff works, or tinkering with it to see what new possibilities could be created using the techniques that they're using. If old Iroh back a hundred years ago could be inspired by waterbenders to create a new firebending technique, imagine what some Republic City tinkerer could do now, given that they have all these new methods of communication like radio and newspapers, new industry to create leisure time, and a greater degree of cultural exchange. It would definitely fit with the "change" theme and with the early-modern setting with industrialization bringing about rapid developments and radical new ideas.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder why there aren't, like, bending scientists or something, who are trying to figure out how all this stuff works, or tinkering with it to see what new possibilities could be created using the techniques that they're using.
Zaofu, man

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, fun fact: the Book 3 finale will be the 100th episode of the Avatar franchise.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Less fun fact: their current track record for finales means it'll probably be a letdown.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This season needs an Empire Strikes Back finale,

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder why there aren't, like, bending scientists or something, who are trying to figure out how all this stuff works, or tinkering with it to see what new possibilities could be created using the techniques that they're using. If old Iroh back a hundred years ago could be inspired by waterbenders to create a new firebending technique, imagine what some Republic City tinkerer could do now, given that they have all these new methods of communication like radio and newspapers, new industry to create leisure time, and a greater degree of cultural exchange. It would definitely fit with the "change" theme and with the early-modern setting with industrialization bringing about rapid developments and radical new ideas.

I'm somewhat hoping that if they were ever given the go-ahead for a third series, it'd take on a modern/slightly futuristic level of technology, and how it interacts (or clashes) with the traditional bending.

...And now I'm hoping they wouldn't do some new pro-bending MMA Bending.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Jackard posted:

This season needs an Empire Strikes Back finale,

Given that they got news in how many books they wanted and got renewed for, I'm thinking that a betting man would put good money on this having an Empire Strikes Back finale.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Jack Skeleton posted:

Given that they got news in how many books they wanted and got renewed for, I'm thinking that a betting man would put good money on this having an Empire Strikes Back finale.

Just like Book 2 of TLA did!

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Bongo Bill posted:

That's probably really hard and would first require realizing that air even can be a liquid, something that would be a bit out of place in the setting. All this chi poo poo is not real physics.

Bumi probably isn't in the habit of filling his novice airbender robes with knives.

He'd somehow stab himself anyway, look how clumsy he is.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

I'm somewhat hoping that if they were ever given the go-ahead for a third series, it'd take on a modern/slightly futuristic level of technology, and how it interacts (or clashes) with the traditional bending.

...And now I'm hoping they wouldn't do some new pro-bending MMA Bending.

That'd be pretty cool, and it'd be fitting since I believe Avatar was originally supposed to be a sci-fi series.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Avatar with blade runner elements?

Ok I'm down.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Tsinava posted:

Also a very advanced air bender should be able to flash-freeze entire fields of air by making air particles go suddenly still, much like a waterbender does with ice. Also they could create fields of combustion by making air particles vibrate and cause pressure explosions and set stuff on fire.

What kind of fanfiction bullshit is this?

The air we breath is not combustible. Pure O2 is combustible, but not the air with be breathe which is severely diluted by nitrogen. Unless you're the freaking flame alchemist, able to separate pure O2 from the air and then light it, airbenders can not do this. Airbenders can not freeze the air. If it were especially humid outside, waterbenders could freeze the air. What the hell is an airbender gonna get out of phaseshifting the air? Rocket fuel?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
This guy is right. I'm on his side about how magic probably works on the kids show

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

This guy is right. I'm on his side about how magic probably works on the kids show

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ravane posted:

What kind of fanfiction bullshit is this?

This is pretty much the appropriate response to the vast majority of speculation people have been giving on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

For me, it's not about being scientifically accurate but keeping a good distinction between the bending styles. I'm already miffed enough as it is to see we have a lavabender, somebody who straddles earth and firebending.

• Locked thread