Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

For the sake of everybody; stop puttting like super hero movie poo poo in spoiler tags.

If people are really worried about being spoiled on super hero movies, it's just that they haven't realized which issue that's been turned into a movie, literally, because they are giant nerds that own every single issue of every single comic book. Literally, there is no middle ground. If you care about comic book movies, you are a comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

magic pantaloons posted:

As well as the troll doll given to Yondu by Quill at the end of the film being a possible reference to a Marvel character called Pip the Troll who teamed up with Adam Warlock.

I thought it was just a joke about how Yondu liked to put little figurines on his console. That's why he was laughing instead of angry. He expected a double-cross, and the troll was a nice gift in reality. He liked it...I hope.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Stop using spoiler tags for movies I feel are for babies, you huge baby nerds.

Okay, Mr. Grumpy Gills.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Considering Guardians of the Galaxy didn't come out here until this week I do appreciate the consistent spoiler tags that allow me to enjoy the movie on my own leisure and still allow me to read this thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
TMNT hits half of its markets in September and October and won't reach some parts of the world until December. Of course, anyone in those places who really gives a poo poo will pirating it rather than wait 5 months to see it legally in theatres. Or they'll be boycotting it altogether, I guess. :v:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

For the sake of everybody; stop puttting like super hero movie poo poo in spoiler tags.

If people are really worried about being spoiled on super hero movies, it's just that they haven't realized which issue that's been turned into a movie, literally, because they are giant nerds that own every single issue of every single comic book. Literally, there is no middle ground. If you care about comic book movies, you are a comic book.

Dude like piss off.

Sorry you have a fear of black bars but maybe people want to go into a movie that's still in the cinema as blind as possible.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Agreed. Sure, we aren't going to a superhero/comic movie expecting Hitchcock level storytelling, but the funny or clever bits from the movie are much more funny if we don't know about them.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Who put the stick up your butt?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Dude like piss off.

Sorry you have a fear of black bars but maybe people want to go into a movie that's still in the cinema as blind as possible.

"As blind as possible" would probably keep you off the internet entirely.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

8/10 good laundry list of button-pushing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

E: gently caress it, I can't be bothered. Apologies for wasting your electrons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

magic pantaloons posted:

Who put the stick up your butt?

Metaphors are going to go over his head

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

You're literally retarded.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've been binge watching "Supernatural" and I've noticed how often the number 237 is used, in apartment/hotel room numbers, codes to page doctors etc.

A reference to Kubrick's "The Shining" I'm sure!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

priznat posted:

I've been binge watching "Supernatural" and I've noticed how often the number 237 is used, in apartment/hotel room numbers, codes to page doctors etc.

Also a particular mounted deer head and a starburst wall clock turn up really, really often in the backgrounds:

There's no particular significance to them, the set designers just really like them. :buddy:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love Supernatural so much. It's such a giant ham-factory and absolutely everyone involved in making it knows it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It makes perfect sense too. They exclusively stay in motels, and every motel I've been to seems to get their decoration from the same place.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I love Supernatural so much. It's such a giant ham-factory and absolutely everyone involved in making it knows it.

It's really fun, I dig it. It's also filmed locally to me so it's fun spotting the locations! Of course there's a website by over zealous fans showing all the locations in case I want to cheat :haw:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

priznat posted:

It's really fun, I dig it. It's also filmed locally to me so it's fun spotting the locations! Of course there's a website by over zealous fans showing all the locations in case I want to cheat :haw:

Filmed in Canada, set in Indiana 50% of the time :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Polaron posted:

Filmed in Canada, set in Indiana 50% of the time :v:

At least they keep the mountains out of the shot! :haw:

They film in Delta and Richmond a lot which are flat as heck and lots of river estuary sloughs and such. And rain, lots of rain!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The season 5 episode "Good God, Y'all" which has the premise of Sam and Dean going to a small Colorado town invaded by demons has an interesting bit. Early in the episode Sam fights a couple of demons in a convenience store and kills them with Ruby's knife. While watching it I thought it was kind of weird that when Sam stabbed them they didn't do the special effect that happens when a demon is killed. Turns out later in the episode you find out that nobody in the town was possessed and they were just normal people. So of course they wouldn't have the demon dying effect.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In Watchmen, when the Comedian jumps down into the crowd from Owlman's ship he's surrounded by protesters. The first person he punches is a woman.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Arx Monolith posted:

I thought it was just a joke about how Yondu liked to put little figurines on his console. That's why he was laughing instead of angry. He expected a double-cross, and the troll was a nice gift in reality. He liked it...I hope.

Yondu is by far my favorite character in GOTG, Michael Rooker was an amazing choice for that character.

Everyone should watch GOTG. If nothing else, then for Yondu and Ronan (so much chewed scenery).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

In Watchmen, when the Comedian jumps down into the crowd from Owlman's ship he's surrounded by protesters. The first person he punches is a woman.

Wow, before this post I never realized that The Comedian was an rear end in a top hat.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
In the extended cut of Watchmen, the Comedian warns the protesters that he has rubber bullets (for his shotgun) before he jumps down into the fray. In the theatrical cut he silently jumps down and fires away, seemingly with lethal ammo. I mean, it didn't change my view of him that much, but it at least knocked him down a peg from 'murderer of fellow citizens' to 'A Real Butt Face to fellow citizens'.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wow, before this post I never realized that The Comedian was an rear end in a top hat.

We knew that all along, but that scene shows that he's not even bothering keeping up appearances any more. Up until then the public knew him as a crime-fighting hero, then a war hero - all of his assholery happened behind closed doors or as war crimes in a far-away country.

Another subtle thing I just realized is that the Comedian and Dr. Manhattan end up with the same overall detachment from humanity, albeit for different reasons. This makes Comedian's claim that Jon could have stopped a lot of terrible things (from killing that pregnant woman among others) rather hypocritical, because there's a lot the Comedian could have done differently, yet just went along with what the government paid him to do/who they wanted him to kill/just be a loving terrible person.

edit: It's par for the course everyone learns something new about Watchman every loving time you watch :iamafag: or read it. Last time was discovering the chapter "Fearful Symmetry" is laid out symmetrically from the middle of the chapter - each panel has a mirror elsewhere in the chapter.

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Aug 18, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Literally Kermit posted:

We knew that all along, but that scene shows that he's not even bothering keeping up appearances any more. Up until then the public knew him as a crime-fighting hero, then a war hero - all of his assholery happened behind closed doors or as war crimes in a far-away country.

Another subtle thing I just realized is that the Comedian and Dr. Manhattan end up with the same overall detachment from humanity, albeit for different reasons. This makes Comedian's claim that Jon could have stopped a lot of terrible things (from killing that pregnant woman among others) rather hypocritical, because there's a lot the Comedian could have done differently, yet just went along with what the government paid him to do/who they wanted him to kill/just be a loving terrible person.

That's also good characterization because The Comedian is obviously projecting which is why he seems pretty cool with getting murdered to further Ozymandias's plot; he's trying to atone for all the awful things he did.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Literally Kermit posted:

edit: It's par for the course everyone learns something new about Watchman every loving time you watch :iamafag: or read it. Last time was discovering the chapter "Fearful Symmetry" is laid out symmetrically from the middle of the chapter - each panel has a mirror elsewhere in the chapter.

Also the story for that issue is symmetrical: the first 6 pages detail Rorschach breaking into Moloch's apartment and the last 6 pages detail him breaking back out, etc etc.. Symbols, character positions and even colours are often reflected or switched in the mirror panels.
Symmetry occurs throughout the entire series: Rorchach's mask and signature are symmetrical, as well as the neon sign for the Rum Runner bar next to Moloch's apartment (which is reminiscent of the symmetrical skull and crossbones from the pirate story but also of Rorschach's signature) as is Dr Manhattan's hydrogen atom logo etc etc etc..
The Comedian's smiley badge was symmetrical right up until it got that blood stain and that asymmetry set the entire plot in motion.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Fearful Symmetry's panel layouts are mirrored from the middle of the story when Adrian dodged an assassination attempt. It's like when you make an ink blot on a piece of paper and fold it over so it becomes symmetrical. Rorschach even does it in that chapter.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In a parallel universe the adaptation of Watchmen was actually done well and not turned into an action blockbuster like the massive turd that they made in this one.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mng posted:

In the extended cut of Watchmen, the Comedian warns the protesters that he has rubber bullets (for his shotgun) before he jumps down into the fray. In the theatrical cut he silently jumps down and fires away, seemingly with lethal ammo. I mean, it didn't change my view of him that much, but it at least knocked him down a peg from 'murderer of fellow citizens' to 'A Real Butt Face to fellow citizens'.
Wow, I thought he was just unloading shotgun rounds. I didn't know they were rubber bullets. Yea that definitely makes a difference. In the book, does he just sexually harass that one girls mom or is it still rape?

This reminds me of the pilot to Breaking Bad. The original is like 10 minutes longer and subtley conveys how much of a "nice guy" Walt is and is always getting stepped on. So when he rises up, it's a bigger transformation.

In the edited replay versions (and I think even the pilot on netflix), he's subtlety less sympathetic. They cut out the rich student that was making fun of him while he was washing his car and the "saddest handjob" along with a couple other things.

Movie is still great, I don't know what Professor Shark is talking about. I also watched the motion graphic that the WB has up, does that cover all the story lines (its 6 hours long) or is that even still edited down from the comic?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the story for that issue is symmetrical: the first 6 pages detail Rorschach breaking into Moloch's apartment and the last 6 pages detail him breaking back out, etc etc.. Symbols, character positions and even colours are often reflected or switched in the mirror panels.
Symmetry occurs throughout the entire series: Rorchach's mask and signature are symmetrical, as well as the neon sign for the Rum Runner bar next to Moloch's apartment (which is reminiscent of the symmetrical skull and crossbones from the pirate story but also of Rorschach's signature) as is Dr Manhattan's hydrogen atom logo etc etc etc..
The Comedian's smiley badge was symmetrical right up until it got that blood stain and that asymmetry set the entire plot in motion.

:drat:

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Aug 18, 2014

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

KoRMaK posted:

Wow, I thought he was just unloading shotgun rounds. I didn't know they were rubber bullets. Yea that definitely makes a difference. In the book, does he just sexually harass that one girls mom or is it still rape?

This reminds me of the pilot to Breaking Bad. The original is like 10 minutes longer and subtley conveys how much of a "nice guy" Walt is and is always getting stepped on. So when he rises up, it's a bigger transformation.

In the edited replay versions (and I think even the pilot on netflix), he's subtlety less sympathetic. They cut out the rich student that was making fun of him while he was washing his car and the "saddest handjob" along with a couple other things.

The Netflix version still has those things in it.

Also it's definitely rape in the book.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I'm watching Slither right now and noticed the younger Strutemeyer girls are reading Goosebumps in bed during the bathtub scene. I caught a glimpse of the cover of one of them and it's The Girl Who Cried Monster, which features a plot strikingly similar to the movie.

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Aug 18, 2014

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

KoRMaK posted:

Movie is still great, I don't know what Professor Shark is talking about. I also watched the motion graphic that the WB has up, does that cover all the story lines (its 6 hours long) or is that even still edited down from the comic?

I think the movie's good in some ways, less so in others. A lot of the fight scenes are pretty goofy/over the top, especially the fight between the knot-tops and Laurie and Dan in the alleyway. Part of the whole point of the comic is that these guys aren't superheroes so much as vigilantes, and the whole film could have used a little more grit and realism and less carefully stylized choreography.

That said, there are a lot of good elements too that keep me from writing off the movie entirely. The casting for The Comedian was perfect, and apart from some cakey old-age makeup Sally Jupiter was really good too. Dan and Dr. Manhattan (and Rorschach to a certain extent) came across quite a bit differently than I'd imagined them when reading the comic, but they've grown on me, in part because Dr. Manhattan's origin sequence is amazingly executed; it's one of the few points in the movie when Zack Snyder's style totally fits the tone of the source material.

That said, Ozymandias was cast totally wrong. I don't even have anything against the changes to the ending, or Matthew Goode's skill as an actor, but he was so wrong for the part it's hard for me to really enjoy the movie on anywhere near the same level as the comic.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nikaer Drekin posted:

That said, Ozymandias was cast totally wrong. I don't even have anything against the changes to the ending, or Matthew Goode's skill as an actor, but he was so wrong for the part it's hard for me to really enjoy the movie on anywhere near the same level as the comic.

I know you definitely aren't the only person who feels this way. It was really interesting for me, because I watched the movie first and then read the comic, and I liked movie Ozy way better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nastyman posted:

I'm watching Slither right now and noticed the younger Strutemeyer girls are reading Goosebumps in bed during the bathtub scene. I caught a glimpse of the cover of one of them and it's The Girl Who Cried Monster, which features a plot strikingly similar to the movie.

Uh, I am clearly missing something obvious because the plot of that book and the plot of Slither are nothing alike :confused:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

mind the walrus posted:

Uh, I am clearly missing something obvious because the plot of that book and the plot of Slither are nothing alike :confused:

They're both about a man (and later a whole family) who becomes a flesh-eating monster

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Movie is still great, I don't know what Professor Shark is talking about.

The comic is pretty great, the movie was 100% a cash-in and was pretty bad. The "joke" in the end is completely changed and doesn't make sense.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arx Monolith posted:

(GotG) Yondu's really established in the movie as being a good guy at heart though. He and his crew are rough people but when push came to shove they did do a hell of a lot to save a planet when it was uncertain if they could even get the orb. Yondu likes to act tough, but he has an obvious soft spot for his adopted son Quill and it does seem a lot of the crew share it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

The comic is pretty great, the movie was 100% a cash-in and was pretty bad. The "joke" in the end is completely changed and doesn't make sense.

The ending still makes sense. In fact given the more limited scope of the movie it makes more sense than using the comic-book ending, which would have come completely out of left field and seemed a lot less believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I think the movie's good in some ways, less so in others. A lot of the fight scenes are pretty goofy/over the top, especially the fight between the knot-tops and Laurie and Dan in the alleyway. Part of the whole point of the comic is that these guys aren't superheroes so much as vigilantes, and the whole film could have used a little more grit and realism and less carefully stylized choreography.

That said, there are a lot of good elements too that keep me from writing off the movie entirely. The casting for The Comedian was perfect, and apart from some cakey old-age makeup Sally Jupiter was really good too. Dan and Dr. Manhattan (and Rorschach to a certain extent) came across quite a bit differently than I'd imagined them when reading the comic, but they've grown on me, in part because Dr. Manhattan's origin sequence is amazingly executed; it's one of the few points in the movie when Zack Snyder's style totally fits the tone of the source material.

The Comedian fight and the Ozzy fight at the end were really well done but most of the other fights were pretty bad. I think the casting was spot on for everybody but Sally. I honestly think Snyder did the best adaption he could. Watchmen is so revered that a some people will automatically hate the movie no matter what. The ending changes actually made a lot of sense, and I loved the blue flash from Ozzy's fortress as Nite Owl and Rorschach made their apporach.