Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

How long until youtube celebrities start going out in balls of flame like "real" celebrities do?

They're in stage 2 of that cycle, obsessing over indie projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamie96
Oct 25, 2011

A wise man once said, "Leave me alone, I'm sleeping."

TARDISman posted:

They're in stage 2 of that cycle, obsessing over indie projects.

I wonder how long it'll take till we reach a point where "Cut for Pewdiepie" starts trending.

On a sidenote, I find it amusing that people cry when famous celebrities that they've never met die. I love Robin's work, but I don't feel the need to go ball my eyes out. I'd rather save my tears for something more meaningful.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
We already have Youtube Let's Players appearing on TV, radio, and movies. At this point, they might as well replace all celebrities in the future. When going to a prestigious acting academy, one of the first classes you'll attend will be on what wacky slurs to shout when playing a bad flash game for the internet. Let' Plays will be played in theaters in full 3D as blockbusters and be sold on Bluray. The future is here, the future is now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Streaming DOTA 2 On Twitch.TV 101 - How to be Literally Exactly Like Everyone Else and Still Make Money Panhandling for Donations [Business major]

edit: Streaming DOTA 2 On Twitch.TV 102 - So Your Shirt's Buttoned Up Too Tightly: An Introductory Course into Cleavage [Human Sexuality course]

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, I can't believe he'd stoop so low as to pretend...

But if you really were that torn up about it. Like this was really heartfelt and the guy was moved to tears over Williams' death... wouldn't you make sure ads weren't running on it?

It's like you're telling your audience that you want them to see how much grief and sadness you're feeling, and you want to reveal yourself to them, but you certainly won't do it for free!

Most of them are misinformed. People in the comments say "you can't run ads or make money off a 19-second video" even though it's very clear he is. Some people just figure ads are a thing that comes with YouTube.

People are complaining in the comments, but he's being defended - usually vis a vis bullshit like that.

There's a YouTuber who basically used it to talk not about Robin Williams but about depression and poo poo in general and mostly spoke about his Mom's battle with depression and how it's a difficult thing to deal with etc. It was more so intended for awareness and to shut people up who go "just get over it you big baby" so I'm not sure if him monetizing that vid or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3twEyRy93U

Edit - It looks like he didn't. It's sorta funny seeing the two ends of the spectrum, dude who posts a 19 second ad-enabled video crying over the death and a dude who posts an 20 min long monologue about depression and how it affected his life and telling people if they are depressed or think they are they should seek assistance while not monetizing it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 16, 2014

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

Unfunny Poster posted:

There's a YouTuber who basically used it to talk not about Robin Williams but about depression and poo poo in general and mostly spoke about his Mom's battle with depression and how it's a difficult thing to deal with etc. It was more so intended for awareness and to shut people up who go "just get over it you big baby" so I'm not sure if him monetizing that vid or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3twEyRy93U

Edit - It looks like he didn't. It's sorta funny seeing the two ends of the spectrum, dude who posts a 19 second ad-enabled video crying over the death and a dude who posts an 20 min long monologue about depression and how it affected his life and telling people if they are depressed or think they are they should seek assistance while not monetizing it.

I feel it's better to go "Hey, this guy probably killed himself because of depression so let's talk depression for a bit and how it affects lives of others around!" rather than "Hey, I'm crying because this guy is dead!" I read the news like any other normally functioning citizen of society I know he's dead you don't need to tell me!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The second guy also opened his description with links to hotlines and mental health subreddits rather than a video about how to be creepy to asian women at conventions.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

CJacobs posted:

edit: Streaming DOTA 2 On Twitch.TV 102 - So Your Shirt's Buttoned Up Too Tightly: An Introductory Course into Cleavage [Human Sexuality course]

I don't think anyone needs an introductory course to that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Princess Sheepy posted:

We already have Youtube Let's Players appearing on TV, radio, and movies. At this point, they might as well replace all celebrities in the future. When going to a prestigious acting academy, one of the first classes you'll attend will be on what wacky slurs to shout when playing a bad flash game for the internet. Let' Plays will be played in theaters in full 3D as blockbusters and be sold on Bluray. The future is here, the future is now.

Idiocracy 2: Let's Play Boogaloo

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Lunethex posted:

Kaceytron's business model is baiting angry teenagers, she's a superhero in my eyes.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Lunethex posted:

A ... GIRL gamer?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVN1Apz45AE

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

Not pictured in this video game stream: A video game.

I'm not one to shame a girl for dressing how she wants. Really, the problem is with people who don't know how to react properly to a girl dressing how she wants. But when you have pandering like this and you're perpetuating the whole "I HAVE BOOBS YOU SHOULD FREAK OUT OVER MY BOOBS" thing, you're kind of a shithead too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Hot drat, this is literally the perfect formula. Hot chick, tits easily visible, and a cat in the picture as well!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lunethex posted:

Jamesman posted:

Not pictured in this video game stream: A video game.

I'm not one to shame a girl for dressing how she wants. Really, the problem is with people who don't know how to react properly to a girl dressing how she wants. But when you have pandering like this and you're perpetuating the whole "I HAVE BOOBS YOU SHOULD FREAK OUT OVER MY BOOBS" thing, you're kind of a shithead too.

RareAcumen posted:

Hot drat, this is literally the perfect formula. Hot chick, tits easily visible, and a cat in the picture as well!

burn gamers to the ground

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Something is off about her lenses.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Afraid of Audio posted:

I was thinking more like "Teach people to be comfortable with the human body and sexuality so they don't act like idiots about it" but I guess that works too.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I bet she's not even a real gamer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

I was going for a 'this is literally the never-fail formula to amass a horde of fans' view on it!

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
From what I know, Kaceytron is just a character who gets paid a ton of money from nerds to make fun of them, and troll the League of Legends community.

She succeeds to the point that people are donating her money, just to insult her in the donation messages.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RSCNyx posted:

She succeeds to the point that people are donating her money, just to insult her in the donation messages.

And this is why most people shouldn't breed

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

RSCNyx posted:

From what I know, Kaceytron is just a character who gets paid a ton of money from nerds to make fun of them, and troll the League of Legends community.

It's like the people on youtube who make tons of money by screaming at the camera. I can't tell whether to be disgusted or impressed.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That lady rules. Nothing but respect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Danaru posted:

It's like the people on youtube who make tons of money by screaming at the camera. I can't tell whether to be disgusted or impressed.

If I could make a living off of making terrible nerds angry, I would.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought that lady was supposed to be a parody of people who do that kind of thing for real.

edit: Whoops, this is why you don't leave threads open for hours without refreshing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

RSCNyx posted:

Lmao. Reminds me of the dude who was trying to stop someone who stole a bunch of bitcoins by sending them more bitcoins with rude messages tied to them and telling others to do the same.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

watho posted:

Lmao. Reminds me of the dude who was trying to stop someone who stole a bunch of bitcoins by sending them more bitcoins with rude messages tied to them and telling others to do the same.

Did this legit happen.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

chitoryu12 posted:

Did this legit happen.

Yep, chased the guy over the tops of trains throwing money at him to make his totals end in 666.

Bitcoin.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Boxturret posted:

Yep, chased the guy over the tops of trains throwing money at him to make his totals end in 666.

Bitcoin.
Well, that'd be twisting the truth a bit. The "chasing him on top of a moving train" guy supposedly sent a miniscule amount of money to the addresses he was following in order to track them easier, or something like that. I'm not sure of the process but it's not entirely retarded and maybe even somewhat smart for bitcoin, but entirely retarded for real world money and generally any situation like this involving it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cheez posted:

Well, that'd be twisting the truth a bit. The "chasing him on top of a moving train" guy supposedly sent a miniscule amount of money to the addresses he was following in order to track them easier, or something like that. I'm not sure of the process but it's not entirely retarded and maybe even somewhat smart for bitcoin, but entirely retarded for real world money and generally any situation like this involving it.

quote:

He was desperately creating new wallet addresses and moving his 49 retirement wallets through them, but having to wait for 3 or 4 confirmations each time before moving them again. Each time I caught up, I "666"ed him - sent 0.00666 bitcoins to mess up his lovely round numbers like 4,000.
(...)
When he awakes, he will see my "666" next to his 96,000 stolen, freshly-laundered bitcoins. Along with lots of insults attached to fragments of bitcoins that I hope you are about to send here:-

It wasn't to track them easier.

Also, if someone hasn't heard of this before, the guy he was chasing turned out to be a bitcoin exchange and the dude who stole the 96k bitcoins were never found.

E: LPs sure are weird, huh?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

watho posted:

It wasn't to track them easier.

Also, if someone hasn't heard of this before, the guy he was chasing turned out to be a bitcoin exchange and the dude who stole the 96k bitcoins were never found.

E: LPs sure are weird, huh?

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who is laughing his rear end off at the thought of there being some blackmarket underground organization known as the "Bitcoin Exchange".

watho
Aug 2, 2013

BMS posted:

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who is laughing his rear end off at the thought of there being some blackmarket underground organization known as the "Bitcoin Exchange".

Nah, it's kind of like a currency exchange only… stupider. The actual name of the black market was Sheep Marketplace iiirc. :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is kind of random, but I really don't get LPers who enable game modes where you can only have one save file. It seems like you're just begging to lose 3 hours of footage and be unable to rerecord it.

It's possible I'm just too paranoid, though, since I don't think I've ever actually seen a series die in the middle because of this happening.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jsor posted:

This is kind of random, but I really don't get LPers who enable game modes where you can only have one save file. It seems like you're just begging to lose 3 hours of footage and be unable to rerecord it.

It's possible I'm just too paranoid, though, since I don't think I've ever actually seen a series die in the middle because of this happening.

Sometimes games only have one save file and there's no easy way to back up. I've seen LPs where the LPer lost a save file, but the LPs usually recover whether from someone else taking over or the LPer simply replaying all the way back.

I always back up many of my saves, since there's been times I went to an earlier save to show something off I missed or just learned about.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I eventually LP Dead Space 3 you will see the absolute epitome of this because Dead Space 3's challenge mode requires you to beat the game on the hardest difficulty with one single life. When you die it deletes the save file and you have to start the challenge over. Obviously I will be going for it because it'll be fun to see me succumb to anxiety, but boy just thinking about the multiple failures when I tried it off camera are giving me high blood pressure.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mega64 posted:

Sometimes games only have one save file and there's no easy way to back up. I've seen LPs where the LPer lost a save file, but the LPs usually recover whether from someone else taking over or the LPer simply replaying all the way back.

I always back up many of my saves, since there's been times I went to an earlier save to show something off I missed or just learned about.

That's valid, but not quite what I'm getting at. If you're playing Pokemon then you have your one save file. And some games have one-life challenges and stuff. To show that obviously you have to run into a lovely situation and suck up the game-enforced single save limitation.

I'm talking more about people who play X-Com or Mount & Blade and explicitly put it on Ironman. Literally the only thing it does is locks you to one save file. There are no effects on difficulty, content, or anything else. This is different from, say, Minecraft or Diablo 3 Hardcore where it autosaves every 3 seconds anyway and there's a major difference in death consequences (and in Diablo, drop rates).

It just seems like a better policy would be to say "for purposes of this LP I won't be savescumming, but I'm not enabling ironman so I can keep multiple saves for recording purposes."

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 17, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jsor posted:

I'm talking more about people who play X-Com or Mount & Blade and explicitly put it on Ironman.

Bragging Rights.

Or you could be playing a game that doesn't use save files, forces to restart a mission if you die and you're on ironman mode (Somewhat).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

When I eventually LP Dead Space 3 you will see the absolute epitome of this because Dead Space 3's challenge mode requires you to beat the game on the hardest difficulty with one single life. When you die it deletes the save file and you have to start the challenge over. Obviously I will be going for it because it'll be fun to see me succumb to anxiety, but boy just thinking about the multiple failures when I tried it off camera are giving me high blood pressure.

Dude, please don't. Save yourself. Just LP it normally on the hardest difficulty. I've played Dead Space 3, it's not worth the stress.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jsor posted:

It just seems like a better policy would be to say "for purposes of this LP I won't be savescumming, but I'm not enabling ironman so I can keep multiple saves for recording purposes."

The problem with that on youtube, for example, is that there's always going to be those assholes that say that you savescummed even if you don't.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

AnoHito posted:

The problem with that on youtube, for example, is that there's always going to be those assholes that say that you savescummed even if you don't.

Wait, are we talking about for challenge runs or just general LPs? 'Cause who gives a gently caress if an lper savescumms to make his life easier to make a good LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

AnoHito posted:

For what reason would you give a poo poo what random YouTube dullards say?

• Locked thread