Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I also liked that the closest thing to "power creep" there was in the Ant arc was a one time thing that had immediate and long-lasting ramifications.

To be honest the Ant arc is just so drat good. It's the best arc by far in my opinion. The others are great too, but nothing made me feel like the Ant arc did. Sure, did it drag on in spots towards the middle? I guess so, but looking back on it nothing was really wasted. Watching it in real-time, I would think to myself things like "Why the hell are they focusing so much on Ikalgo and Welfin? Who the gently caress cares about Welfin?" Well guess what? I cared man. It was all so integral in my opinion. The entire second half of the Ant arc, the invasion part, is just masterful. The end of the arc made me more emotional than anything coming from the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump has any right to, the only thing that comes close is (Hikaru no Go spoilers)Fujiwarano Sai's "death" in HnG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Enjoy it while it lasts guys, the ride is almost over.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/08/16/hunter-x-hunter-anime-production-wraps-up

quote:

If you were worried that the 2011 Hunter x Hunter anime hasn't slowed it pace and the manga hasn't accelerated its, turned out that your concerns were valid. Mantanweb spoke to Megumi Han, voice of the series' lead, Gon Freecss about being a second generation voice actress (her mother was Keiko Han, Gundam's Lalah Sune), her first major role, and the fact that production of the series has concluded with episode 148.

The next episode to run is 143 on August 19th. The previous adaptation of the series ran 1999 and ending its 62 episode run in 2011 with the Yorknew arc before a series of 30 OVAs picked it up and adapted the Greed Island story.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ah well, that was to be expected.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Only 5 episodes left. :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is just leading up to Hunter x Hunter 2023, ya know.

At least one can hope.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, with how lavishly competent this adaptation has been, I really hope it is able to go the ultimate distance in full even if that means a break of several years. Surely it can be done...I mean...we're talking animating/adapting the scope of like Shadow Skill here as opposed to the fool's hope (that I still can't help but have!) of the rest of Guin Saga getting adapted.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hopefully, by the time HxH 2023 rolls around, Togashi will have released six more chapters.

I'm probably being too optimistic there. Four chapters seems like the better bet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hopefully, by the time HxH 2023 rolls around, Togashi will have released six more chapters.

I'm probably being too optimistic there. Four chapters seems like the better bet.

Hopefully by 2023, Togashi will replaced most of his biogenetic parts with synthetics, and the rest melded with Takeuchi's, creating some sort of hypercybergeneto-mangaka capable of creating a new chapter every month! I can see it happening.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

XboxPants posted:

a new chapter every month!

Whoa, whoa, buddy. Slow your roll. There's science fiction and then there's fantasy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Awwww man.

Guess in five weeks I start reading the sporadically updated manga.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Awwww man.

Guess in five weeks I start reading the sporadically updated manga.

I started reading right before the last hiatus. It ended up being two long years. As much as I enjoy HxH do yourself a favor and don't continue following it until the series is done. It'll be easier than having to put up with Togashis nonsense.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Asuron posted:

I started reading right before the last hiatus. It ended up being two long years. As much as I enjoy HxH do yourself a favor and don't continue following it until the series is done. It'll be easier than having to put up with Togashis nonsense.

Is there a definite endpoint for the series in sight?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

When Togashi took up the manga a couple of month ago, he said he had about 4 arc in his head.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

AnonSpore posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I don't mean soon. I mean a point at which the series would reach it's conclusion. I mean like the Straw Hat Pirates finding out what the deal is with One Piece.

Because Hunter X Hunter feels like it could reach an endpoint after any number of arcs.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

I don't mean soon. I mean a point at which the series would reach it's conclusion. I mean like the Straw Hat Pirates finding out what the deal is with One Piece.

Because Hunter X Hunter feels like it could reach an endpoint after any number of arcs.

:siren:MANGA BEWARE :rolleyes::siren:No, there is no macguffin anymore since Togashi made the original one disappear overnight so it's pretty much whenever he is satisfied or more likely, too lazy to give a gently caress to finish the series.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 17, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The first part of your post isn't any less of a spoiler than the one you spoiler'd.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Senor Candle posted:

The first part of your post isn't any less of a spoiler than the one you spoiler'd.

:rolleyes:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I hear conflicting things about Togashi. Is he sick, or does he just not like drawing the manga very much?

Either way, there's not really a whole lot that the anime can do. I'd rather it just end when they run out of content (which seems to be the case) then try and make up their own story. I don't think I've seen a series yet where anime-only content was any good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

I hear conflicting things about Togashi. Is he sick, or does he just not like drawing the manga very much?

Either way, there's not really a whole lot that the anime can do. I'd rather it just end when they run out of content (which seems to be the case) then try and make up their own story. I don't think I've seen a series yet where anime-only content was any good.

Seems a combination of him being legitimately sick and just not feeling like working on the manga, and due to his situation (apparently he's always on the payroll, and also makes bank being married to the woman who made Sailor Moon) and the fact that HxH sells like hotcakes he can quit and start up again any time he wants.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Momomo posted:

Togashi says he's sick, but random people online don't believe him because (???).

I'm assuming it's just because his illness isn't publicly known but poo poo man, that's kinda just a cultural thing. Japan is hella private compared to us. Hell, a lot of really huge manga artists have never even shown their real name or face. poo poo man sometimes you don't even know if it's a man or woman or a group or what the gently caress.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Togashi says he's sick, but random people online don't believe him because (???).

I'm assuming it's just because his illness isn't publicly known but poo poo man, that's kinda just a cultural thing. Japan is hella private compared to us. Hell, a lot of really huge manga artists have never even shown their real name or face. poo poo man sometimes you don't even know if it's a man or woman or a group or what the gently caress.

Actually, there is documentation of Togashi's illness. In one of the earliest inner cover flaps of the YYH manga, Togashi mentions how he has a chronic 'head illness.' What the illness exactly is, who knows, but the fact about him actually having a serious illness that has plagued him for many years seems to be legit. Note that it was in the very early stages of YYH that he revealed this, not towards the end where he was sick to death of it. Also, the way he wrote it didn't really seem like he was bringing it up out of nowhere to act as an excuse for something, it was more like "Yeah, I also have this illness that complicates things sometimes when I'm working."

Now, I'm not here to argue whether or not Togashi should get a free pass at everything just because he has an illness. However, we know he has that, we also know he has a family, and we also know one more thing: He's in a pretty secure spot. Maybe that last point is the biggest.

The following is mostly conjecture on my part, so take it as you will. When Togashi finished YYH, he was clearly fed up to hell with JUMP, the editors, and the whole shonen fighting manga cliche that he was being forced to adhere to. That's where the Three Kings arc (and its derailing) came from. He was done, and I wouldn't be surprised if to him, YYH is representative of a slow, painful decay of his own artistic vision or whatever. Why? Look at the next manga he did - Level E. Something completely unpredictable and spontaneous that really didn't adhere to (and overturned) typical JUMP rules.

Then HXH comes along. Knowing Togashi, and taking into account what sort of information he's shared with us in interviews and cover flaps, he seems to be a guy who likes to work on his own terms, with his own style, and on his own time. Sometimes I wonder if he just takes breaks because he's out of good ideas and doesn't want to fatten up the manga with subpar stuff. (Of course, this can happen because he's distracted by video games and what have you.) Either way, I also wonder if this 'deal' wasn't partly worked out before HXH even began.

"Please write us another great shonen epic like YYH! In return, we'll let you take some breaks here and there when you want to."

Remember, he was taking breaks pretty early on in HXH, even though they were nowhere near as extreme as they are now. Perhaps as time went on, popularity/pressure grew, and so did Togashi's need to take a break from the JUMP machine.

I bet they just pestered him so bad that he decided to send in the chicken scratches simply to piss them off - unfortunately, without much regard for the fans who were waiting so patiently for the next installment.

If you've read anything about what sort of situations popular weekly manga artists are put into, and what sort of crap they have to deal with from publishing company execs and editors, it kind of makes sense. (the book 'Manga Poverty' goes into a lot of detail on this.) Anyway, that's my two cents.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

molokidan posted:

The following is mostly conjecture on my part, so take it as you will. When Togashi finished YYH, he was clearly fed up to hell with JUMP, the editors, and the whole shonen fighting manga cliche that he was being forced to adhere to. That's where the Three Kings arc (and its derailing) came from. He was done, and I wouldn't be surprised if to him, YYH is representative of a slow, painful decay of his own artistic vision or whatever. Why? Look at the next manga he did - Level E. Something completely unpredictable and spontaneous that really didn't adhere to (and overturned) typical JUMP rules.
Oh my god, hearing that the Three Kings arc exists because of Jump makes me feel so much better, because that arc was garbage. Is there any more info on that?

It's a shame the guy isn't able to give us a consistent schedule, but I can understand not wanting to be at Jump's mercy. One Piece's Oda sounds like he has a really, really hard life because he's almost always doing work.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I am going to miss you the most, thread.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010

Momomo posted:

Oh my god, hearing that the Three Kings arc exists because of Jump makes me feel so much better, because that arc was garbage. Is there any more info on that?

The word on the street is after the Sensui Arc, which was comparatively less popular than the Dark Tournament/Toguro Arc, the editors were putting pressure on him to start another tournament, one even more extreme and hardcore than the last. The Three Kings arc was his response, and a very Togashi-esque response at that.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Momomo posted:

It's a shame the guy isn't able to give us a consistent schedule, but I can understand not wanting to be at Jump's mercy. One Piece's Oda sounds like he has a really, really hard life because he's almost always doing work.

I like the Three Kings Saga. It was very good up until the tournament and even then the anime made that better. Like for example we actually got a decent fight with Yomi and some really memorable scenes to go with it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

molokidan posted:

Then HXH comes along. Knowing Togashi, and taking into account what sort of information he's shared with us in interviews and cover flaps, he seems to be a guy who likes to work on his own terms, with his own style, and on his own time. Sometimes I wonder if he just takes breaks because he's out of good ideas and doesn't want to fatten up the manga with subpar stuff. (Of course, this can happen because he's distracted by video games and what have you.) Either way, I also wonder if this 'deal' wasn't partly worked out before HXH even began.

Judging by what he's plotting in the current manga, I wouldn't be surprised if he took the breaks just to plan it out properly, so he doesn't have to make it up every week. His arcs are just so drat complicated!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Asuron posted:

I like the Three Kings Saga. It was very good up until the tournament and even then the anime made that better. Like for example we actually got a decent fight with Yomi and some really memorable scenes to go with it.

The whole thing about Yusuke being a demon and having a demon daddy rubbed me the wrong way. I loved Yusuke's character because he's a relatable guy, but too much of what happened in that arc felt like his character was just ruined for me. Also, no Kuwabara. I know they wrote in a reason story wise, but why would Togashi decide not to include him?

Also the logistics of a few things annoy me (a feud because demon world refuses to use livestock?), and shoving in a tournament made so little since that hearing Jump forced it explains a lot. I have only seen the anime version though, so if the manga is different then I wouldn't really know.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Momomo posted:

The whole thing about Yusuke being a demon and having a demon daddy rubbed me the wrong way. I loved Yusuke's character because he's a relatable guy, but too much of what happened in that arc felt like his character was just ruined for me. Also, no Kuwabara. I know they wrote in a reason story wise, but why would Togashi decide not to include him?

Also the logistics of a few things annoy me (a feud because demon world refuses to use livestock?), and shoving in a tournament made so little since that hearing Jump forced it explains a lot. I have only seen the anime version though, so if the manga is different then I wouldn't really know.

Kuwabaras exclusion actually helped the story I feel. It helped show that Yusuke was being selfish by going into Demon world to find out about himself and hurt others close to him because he never cared about what his friends might feel. It plays in at the end where his group of friends almost give up on him and just assume he's never coming back. It makes the ending much more satisfying because he shows that's not the case when he returns and it's a very heartfelt scene because of it.

The issue the demons fought over was less about livestock and Raizens decision not to eat, but rather more about Yomi and Mukuro using it as a platform to unite demons against him. They couldn't care one way or the other, but the lesser demons did and they wanted to use that to push against him.

I agree on the Yusuke thing though, but really the whole end of Chapter Black rubs me the wrong way. The fight was setup to be Power vs Experience which was a really cool way to handle it, then Sensui powers up with "Sacred Energy" and runs over Yusuke and you think it's Kuwabaras time to shine but nope, he does nothing except get angry and Yusuke saves the day because now he's a demon.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
So is Yusuke an Emitter?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
He's obviously an Enhancer. He just dabbles in Emitter skills since they're adjacent.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WhiffleballDude posted:

He's obviously an Enhancer. He just dabbles in Emitter skills since they're adjacent.

No way, does he even even use his aura to straight up punch someone? He pretty much only uses it to shoot.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

So is Yusuke an Emitter?

Nah he's a conjurer because he can summon this friendly fellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luT-p4oNYNU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just marathoned this whole drat thing over the course of a week and now I'm sad it's ending for lack of anymore content. I never read the manga and I only watched the original 1999 version so the Chimera Ant stuff was completely new to me and I was totally blown away by it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I thought it was Colt who claimed that Netero would be weaker than Pitou? And that was only after comparing (what Colt saw) of their nen. And Colt doesn't really know too much about nen. It's been a while, I could be wrong about this.

And yeah, Netero was about outdo Mereum in the speed department, and it's unlikely that Pitou would have been able to do any better. And Pitou, while tough, probably lacks Mereum's durability and would have been wiped out by Netero in the end had they continued to fight.

When Netero first sees Pitou with his ridiculous telescope hand gesture he outright says that it is stronger than him. Of course when they actually meet in a fight he just completely tosses it to the side with a single hand. The major underlying theme of the arc is that no matter how much innate potential you have, experience is a huge factor. If Pitou had half the experience Netero had, it would have been literally undefeatable. Meruem was barely hurt by Zero Hand (indicating that he is physically superior to Netero) but he had no idea what a poison-nuke was, why he was completely hosed as soon as he entered the tomb and died because of it.

Gon and Killua have crazy innate potential but they couldn't win against Knuckle and Shoot who were vastly superior to them. Youpi was getting frustrated he was losing to people who didn't even have a tenth of his power but he never managed to get any of them out of a combination of being outwitted and in Knuckle's case, pure luck. Leol lost the same way, he thought he had the advantage but he didn't realize that filling an underwater cavern and fighting a dude with the lungs of a whale could get him killed because he'd run out of air.

The point was the Chimera Ants had the potential to rule the world and eat humanity into extinction. Humanity, an expert in warfare and destruction, knew from experience that the only way to stop them would be a decisive strike before they ever learned to harness their potential. Which of course makes for totally ball busting moments like Pitou getting chumped in the end but that's kinda the show's thing after all, like the other 6 forms of Kite's weapon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eej posted:

Leol lost the same way, he thought he had the advantage but he didn't realize that filling an underwater cavern and fighting a dude with the lungs of a whale could get him killed because he'd run out of air.

Lets be fair to Leol here. There was no way he could have known this.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Senor Candle posted:

No way, does he even even use his aura to straight up punch someone?

One of his trademark moves is surrounding his fist with reiki when punching someone ala Terry Bogard's Burning Knuckle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lets be fair to Leol here. There was no way he could have known this.

I bet Peggy knew!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Eej posted:

Just marathoned this whole drat thing over the course of a week and now I'm sad it's ending for lack of anymore content. I never read the manga and I only watched the original 1999 version so the Chimera Ant stuff was completely new to me and I was totally blown away by it.

When Netero first sees Pitou with his ridiculous telescope hand gesture he outright says that it is stronger than him. Of course when they actually meet in a fight he just completely tosses it to the side with a single hand. The major underlying theme of the arc is that no matter how much innate potential you have, experience is a huge factor. If Pitou had half the experience Netero had, it would have been literally undefeatable. Meruem was barely hurt by Zero Hand (indicating that he is physically superior to Netero) but he had no idea what a poison-nuke was, why he was completely hosed as soon as he entered the tomb and died because of it.

Gon and Killua have crazy innate potential but they couldn't win against Knuckle and Shoot who were vastly superior to them. Youpi was getting frustrated he was losing to people who didn't even have a tenth of his power but he never managed to get any of them out of a combination of being outwitted and in Knuckle's case, pure luck. Leol lost the same way, he thought he had the advantage but he didn't realize that filling an underwater cavern and fighting a dude with the lungs of a whale could get him killed because he'd run out of air.

The point was the Chimera Ants had the potential to rule the world and eat humanity into extinction. Humanity, an expert in warfare and destruction, knew from experience that the only way to stop them would be a decisive strike before they ever learned to harness their potential. Which of course makes for totally ball busting moments like Pitou getting chumped in the end but that's kinda the show's thing after all, like the other 6 forms of Kite's weapon.

This is a very good post. It is also why Cheetu lost twice, first to Morel because he chose poorly what rules to have for his 'Tag' hatsu. The second time to Silva because he had no combat awareness. Even Pitou (who in my opinion is a step above the other guards) when first engaging Netero is told "that was a bad move little ant" and swatted aside. Aside from Meruem and teh Guards the ants are fairly weak compared to humanity.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really love what the anime adds to the Elections by giving what were previously just names, faces and identities. (The is, unless I've completely forgotten the entire arc and missed it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I really love what the anime adds to the Elections by giving what were previously just names, faces and identities. (The is, unless I've completely forgotten the entire arc and missed it.)

No I remember at least the doctor, the cyber-candidate, and the old lady giving losing speeches in the manga.

• Locked thread