Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
it's a solid 6.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I don't get the joke so I give it a 0/10

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The MLS is the BEST LEAGUE in the world. You've seen what MLS teams have done to EPL teams this summer. MLS teams are TIRED from their GRUELING SEASON and they're still outclassing EPL teams. It's a joke how much better AMericans are at EVERYTHING than the rest of the world. We don't even care about SOCCER here and we're still the BEST ON EARTH.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Wirth1000 posted:

The MLS is the BEST LEAGUE in the world. You've seen what MLS teams have done to EPL teams this summer. MLS teams are TIRED from their GRUELING SEASON and they're still outclassing EPL teams. It's a joke how much better AMericans are at EVERYTHING than the rest of the world. We don't even care about SOCCER here and we're still the BEST ON EARTH.

That's probably just a troll

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Getting a bit of a POZ PISSPIG vibe from this

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Oh jesus, that caught me unprepared. That's awesome.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Still B.A.E posted:

Getting a bit of a POZ PISSPIG vibe from this

Lol, same

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

bad posts about football^2, provided by TRP's favorite football journalist Jamie Sanderson is also on the case:
http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/15/new-l...alonso-4833690/

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
jamie sanderson posts here, he also posts in yospos

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's me don't worry I had a haircut.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
20 historical empires that explain the English Premier League

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

man the washington post is just a goldmine of terrible articles someone got paid to write

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

quote:

Tottenham Hotspur: The Austro-Hungarian Empire

What to say about Tottenham? It's a team steeped in a mythic sense of preeminence that has little bearing on its present reality: an also-ran side, perennial disappointments, handmaidens to the real players on the continent.

no one tell him

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

quote:

Hull City: The Olmecs

Steve Bruce, the manager of Hull City, is known for his especially large head.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

Steve Bruce's head, in perspective.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lol

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The top of the post is cringeworthy but it gets hilarious as soon as you leave the plastic zone at the top

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

wrong thread

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Let's see if I understand this correctly:

1. Assaidi has two years left on his contract with LFC at X/per week GBP.

2. LFC would prefer that he left the club in such a way that LFC make money on net from the transfer.

3. Assaidi does not want to leave LFC but wishes to actually play for LFC. If he shows up for practice etc (i.e. fulfills his contractual duties) he is entitled to two years' worth of X/per week GBP over the next two years.

4. In order to agree to be sold to another club, he desires a 'deal' whereby he not only is guaranteed 2 years' worth of his current wages with LFC but also 'compensated' for not actually being a LFC player.

Where's the "greed" in all this?

Imagine you own a horse and you've signed a contract whereby your horse's riding services have been leased to this fine, aristocratic household so that the light as feathers young ladies of the manor can take in some leisurely riding for four years.

It's two years into the lease, the last of which you agreed that your horse be sub-leased to a lesser household to be ridden hard by burly and portly older men.

The aristocratic household now would like to cut that lease short because they no longer need the services of your horse (they've leased other, fancier horses, whatever). They've worked out a deal with that lesser household to which your horse was sub-leased (with your consent) last year whereby they come out ahead financially.

You'd much rather just see out the lease with the fine aristocratic household, your horse being lightly ridden by featherweight young ladies, fed well, rested, etc. Would you be called "greedy" if you told the fine aristocratic household that some of that money they're getting from the lesser household be shared with you or you're not agreeing to the proposed termination of the lease?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
What the gently caress

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

wrong thread again, come on people

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
When I hear aristocrats my first thought is always Liverpool. That horse should defo speak it's mind

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lmao

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dunban posted:

wrong thread again, come on people

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Insanely Sikh posted:

When I hear aristocrats my first thought is always Liverpool.

Brendan Rodgers walks into a talent agents office...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

lmao

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Hmm.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

The easiest way to be successful is to spend huge sums of money, like Real, City, Chelsea and Barca, we can’t do that but we can’t keep buying players like Fellaini

One thing you have forgotten (and it's seriously important), even we have Ronaldo and the like joining us, it doesn't mean they can easily play LvG's style and fit into his philosophy instantly. The theory of developing own players and heroes should never ever be disregarded.

code:
      Vidal------Herrera
            Mata
Januzaj---------------Di Maria
         Rooney/RVP
Outside of Rooney, mata, de gea and Herrera, the others that started today wouldn't get a look in at other top 4 teams

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Strawman posted:

The easiest way to be successful is to spend huge sums of money, like Real, City, Chelsea and Barca, we can’t do that but we can’t keep buying players like Fellaini

One thing you have forgotten (and it's seriously important), even we have Ronaldo and the like joining us, it doesn't mean they can easily play LvG's style and fit into his philosophy instantly. The theory of developing own players and heroes should never ever be disregarded.

code:
      Vidal------Herrera
            Mata
Januzaj---------------Di Maria
         Rooney/RVP
Outside of Rooney, mata, de gea and Herrera, the others that started today wouldn't get a look in at other top 4 teams

How would you deal with the back line? That's where we need improvements.

And is that a 352 or a 4213?

I'd rather we get Reus instead of Di maria, though they're both great wingers.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

itsjustdrew posted:

How would you deal with the back line? That's where we need improvements.

And is that a 352 or a 4213?

I'd rather we get Reus instead of Di maria, though they're both great wingers.

You should read the thread title, OP.

E: actually strawman's post wasn't really bad at all and I'm not sure why it's itt

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

You should read the thread title, OP.

E: actually strawman's post wasn't really bad at all and I'm not sure why it's itt

It's pure delusion and I love it

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Still B.A.E posted:

It's pure delusion and I love it

Idk about this

"The easiest way to be successful is to spend huge sums of money, like Real, City, Chelsea and Barca, we can’t do that but we can’t keep buying players like Fellaini" - thats true

"One thing you have forgotten (and it's seriously important), even we have Ronaldo and the like joining us, it doesn't mean they can easily play LvG's style and fit into his philosophy instantly. The theory of developing own players and heroes should never ever be disregarded." - thats true. Like its great we're being linked with Di Maria but if LVG wants to play wing backs I'm not sure how he fits

"Outside of Rooney, mata, de gea and Herrera, the others that started today wouldn't get a look in at other top 4 teams" - thats true, and those 4 would probably struggle tbh. The only bit I'd have a problem with is "other top 4 teams" because we arent a top 4 team at the moment

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

The Big Taff Man posted:

Idk about this

"The easiest way to be successful is to spend huge sums of money, like Real, City, Chelsea and Barca, we can’t do that but we can’t keep buying players like Fellaini" - thats true

Fellaini cost £27 million, also

The Big Taff Man posted:

"Outside of Rooney, mata, de gea and Herrera, the others that started today wouldn't get a look in at other top 4 teams" - thats true, and those 4 would probably struggle tbh. The only bit I'd have a problem with is "other top 4 teams" because we arent a top 4 team at the moment

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

posting without reading

It reminds me of the difference between say a team like the Spurs, and a team like the Knicks or my bullets/Wizards.

The Spurs have had back to back franchise players as a bridge from 1989 to about 2010 or so, before Tim Duncan slipped from franchise quality to lesser, but they've consistently figured out how to build a truly special squad around them for the past fifteen years by consistently acquiring players that work in the varied spurs systems. They have shown the ability to develop a point guard/shooting guard tweener who didn't have a reliable jumper into a fierce weapon in Tony Parker, or more recently drafting Kawhi Leonard, while a bunch of squads collected a pile of busts (erm, my wizards), with the knock on Leonard being his limitations on the offensive end. They worked with him and by the end of his second season, he was one of the best young players in the league, and by the end of 2013, perhaps one of the top 3 "both ends" players in basketball under 25 years old, and the key to their championship run in '14, and near run in '13. All the way along, the Spurs slowly evolved into a bit of a different kind of team, w/athleticism being a tool now at there disposal.

Consider that they have been a team capable of taking advantage of the dips in form of any dynasty squad. They swooped in in '99 when the Bulls collapsed, filling in with a big man dominated technical squad, following the lakers last title in 2002, they then collected 2 of the next 4 championships while the lakers were rebuilding, and the Celtics were building for one last run, now that the Lakers last Kobe Dynasty has fallen apart they've been the best team in basketball, better than LeBron's Heat, for 2 consecutive seasons as Wade broke down. How do they do this?

Unlike my wizards, and say, the knicks, they:

*Never make stupid free agent signings.
*Make shrewd long term process trades
*never trade away 2nd rounders for cash, when they can draft and stash for euros instead
*draft players with great BBIQ's and/or work habits who are coachable
*Build around talent, while applying Pop's system
*get rid of players that cant fit in, prefering chemistry, to talent alone.

Everything they do is premised around the long term strategic vision of the franchise. Nothing they do is based on a season to season alone process. They identify players that can be useful within the context of their squad's make up, acquire them, and utilize and maximize their talent while fitting them within the framework of the team's overall strategic approach to basketball. They focus on players with great work habits, smarts, and dedication and flexibility and buy in. If you can't fit in, you're out, and they'll trade you, but everything they do is within the context of building an elite squad that can constantly reboot every few years as needed. they've managed to build 3 distinctly different championship squads in the '99, '05/'07, and now '13/'14 era's, all follow a similar template and get it done.

There are other teams too, though, like the knicks, or wizards/bullets, who simply approach every season as a zero sum game, there is no long term approach, instead the squad is looked at much like a quilt, and as holes develop, patches are applied to fix them, but applied by a blind man, who aint that good with needlepoint and sewing in general.

That feels like Sunderland.

Though I must admit, when you're dealing with a league in which relegation is possible, that's a massive can of worms that's on another scale as well as compared to american sports.

However, smart team building, is smart team building, it requires dedication, constancy, patience, wisdom and judgment, all by and large absent in much of the big time squads in soccer, which showcase little patience, or wisdom, but plenty of erratic judgment, with no constancy, and only dedication and commitment to rely upon.

Sunderland should figure out what the hell their goals are, how they can manage them most effectively in a cost effective manner in terms of strategic/tactical approach, and then put together a 3 year plan to buy, transfer, and develop players that fit that workable system best.

But that clearly isn't what they do (or for that matter, most teams). The fact that players can see their transfer fees double or triple, like James Martinez or a Navas after a world cup, is a stark reminder of just how incompetent, and moronic teams are, even at the highest level. Any scout worth a drat should have had a book on Martinez or Navas before the tournament even started, with cross checkers putting together research portfolios as needed. If they liked Martinez, buy him, you know, before the freaking cup? How often do you get a Macy's White Flower sale on a player AFTER A CUP? Or Navas, who had a brilliant season in La Liga, and has been regarded as one of the best two goalies in concacaf for a while. This isn't rocket science, smart teams buy low, and sell high, they don't buy high everytime, Real Madrid just doesn't seem to get it that way, and the only reason they get away with it, is the financial structure of the league, much like the Yankees from 1920-1964. It's kind of the polar opposite of say, money ball, and the Oakland A's. Its quite pitiful when it comes down to it, which is why I could imagine if certain ownership in American sports got involved in big time soccer, they could dominate. Alas, thus far, most of the owners who have bought in, have been money bags types, rather than intelligent owners. I am curious about what will happen now that the red sox have gotten involved, however, as they've managed to build intelligently since taking over more than a decade ago, plenty of flaws in approach, but great judgment in terms of hiring quality minds. The fact that when they took over, the two guys they were most interested in hiring were Theo Epstein, and Beane, suggests as much, even if the Epstein canning might have been a mistake.

I have a hard time imagining that kind of ownership, particularly say with the Spurs, Bob Kraft in New England, the Rooney's in Pittsburgh, or the metrics geek fans like in Seattle, couldn't absolutely dominate the likes of Real Madrid, or Chelsea, or Man U if they decided to throw down.