Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Why would she need story reasons? It's not like women in the Witcher universe normally dress conservatively and practically. Hell, Ciri's probably showing less skin than any other female character in the series.

I dunno, I guess just because people are all "Man, look at these garbage character designs!" and there are reasons behind it besides needless sexualization of female characters.

I'll take this time to reiterate to those who haven't read the books to check them out. They're real entertaining and I think you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the Witcher game narratives with a background knowledge of the preexisting narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Well, there are kinda story reasons for Ciri liking fashionable, nice clothing.

Most people are complaining about the heels in the boots. And I read the books and don't remember a reason about Ciri being dumb and wearing heels while traveling by who knows what country roads while being in danger (or whatever she is doing in W3).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The heels are kinda weird and disappointing given that Triss in TW2 was a nice compromise between attractive and practical, outfit wise, but I wouldn't call it "garbage character design". It's still pretty practical by video game standards. I was kinda worried they'd ignore the scars myself and am glad to see they didn't.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Also Foltest was dressed like the most outrageous pimp in history during the intro, why aren't we discussing that as well.

I mean seriously he must have been wearing like 40 plus pounds in gold alone.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Foltest was a King. They're known for being ostentatious.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Sharmat posted:

Foltest was a King. They're known for being ostentatious.

Ciri is known to dress in a certain way as well, and her getup is significantly less impractical than Foltest's was and he was fighting a war at the time.

She likes nice clothes, is this not allowed?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
People are kinda sensitive to this kind of thing due to traditional video game portrayals of female characters. But then, this isn't exactly like Miranda from Mass Effect or something.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Her character design is commendable, some of you have weird hangups regarding footwear. They look like riding boots to me but I guess I'm not neck bearded enough about riding horses and the proper footwear for such.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
The thing with the heels is that they're there solely to add sexiness at the cost of practicality. Foltest's impractical costume projects power and wealth. Between Ciri's cleavage, corset and heels, what does her costume project?
It's a dumb design trope that is far too common and it's a shame because it's so unnecessary and easily avoidable.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The armor they keep showing Geralt in has chiseled pecs. What does that project?

They seem to be going a bit less practical all around this time.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

The armor they keep showing Geralt in has chiseled pecs. What does that project?

Power.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's...not what I get from it.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Senjuro posted:

The thing with the heels is that they're there solely to add sexiness at the cost of practicality. Foltest impractical costume projects power and wealth. Between Ciri's cleavage, corset and heels, what does her costume project?
It's a dumb design trope that is far too common and it's a shame because it's so unnecessary and easily avoidable.

Sure, but there are way worse problems in this series with regards to the portrayal of women than this one character's outfit. This particular complaint just seems silly by comparison.

Like, if you're willing to overlook all that other stuff, why not do the same with this significantly less bad thing?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They're never going to live down TW1's sex cards, are they?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Roshnak posted:

Sure, but there are way worse problems in this series with regards to the portrayal of women than this one character's outfit. This particular complaint just seems silly by comparison.

Like, if you're willing to overlook all that other stuff, why not do the same with this significantly less bad thing?

No doubt that there are bigger problems but I'm still annoyed by the little things because they're so easy to fix and avoid.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 17, 2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Sharmat posted:

That's...not what I get from it.

I'd hit it, for sure.

e: by hit it I mean "have sex with geralt", just so we're clear.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 17, 2014

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

They're never going to live down TW1's sex cards, are they?

TW2 has plenty of problems on its own, to be honest.

Senjuro posted:

No doubt that there are bigger problems but I'm still annoyed by the little things because they're so easy to fix and avoid.

The other problems aren't any harder to fix or avoid, either. They may even be easier, since they are so much more obvious.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I dunno, I guess just because people are all "Man, look at these garbage character designs!" and there are reasons behind it besides needless sexualization of female characters.

I'll take this time to reiterate to those who haven't read the books to check them out. They're real entertaining and I think you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the Witcher game narratives with a background knowledge of the preexisting narrative.

Maybe you should just post the reason in spoiler tags or something, since I doubt anyone is going to read a bunch of books just to gain more insight into why someone might be wearing heels. The games all take place after the books, anyway, so it's not like you would be ruining the games for anyone (I assume).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Roshnak posted:

TW2 has plenty of problems on its own, to be honest.

I wouldn't say plenty. I think they handled female characters quite well, especially by video game standards. Plenty of the prime movers of the plot are powerful women.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Roshnak posted:

The other problems aren't any harder to fix or avoid, either. They may even be easier, since they are so much more obvious.

Tropes make it easier to write a story, even if they don't make it better so I can at least understand the reasoning behind it. Giving a character normal boots to wear doesn't require any extra work.

The Sharmat posted:

I wouldn't say plenty. I think they handled female characters quite well, especially by video game standards. Plenty of the prime movers of the plot are powerful women.

And so much of it is undone just by Triss alone. The constant nudity, the kidnapping, the general helplessness, literally being turned into an object, etc.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 17, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The biggest problem Witcher 2 had was the boob-window on the female armors, which wouldn't bother me otherwise, but Witcher usually tries to look realistic and that was a bit distracting.

But I forgot that nowadays the worst offence against women is the "damsel in distress" deal...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Senjuro posted:

Tropes make it easier to write a story, even if they don't make it better so I can at least understand the reasoning behind it. Giving a character normal boots to wear doesn't require any extra work.

And so much of it is undone just by Triss alone. The constant nudity, the kidnapping, the general helplessness, literally being turned into an object, etc.

She's nude twice. This is to be expected when you're the lover of the main character.

Plus she spent all the last game being a major player so running into some trouble in the second game doesn't seem gratuitous to me. Especially since they early on establish that she's more powerful than Geralt when she saves him and Roche from the Scoia'tael.

Bholder posted:

The biggest problem Witcher 2 had was the boob-window on the female armors, which wouldn't bother me otherwise, but Witcher usually tries to look realistic and that was a bit distracting.

But I forgot that nowadays the worst offence against women is the "damsel in distress" deal...
Saskia's armor is literally just for show because she's a loving dragon.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Senjuro posted:

Triss is actually the best written one. The rest are either literal manipulative, lying witches or end up to be the victims. Ves's character arc is particularly groan-worthy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
My only problem with Ves is she disappears in Act 3. But Act 3 was too short in general.

Apparently there was originally going to be another act that took place in Dol Blathana, but they ran out of money.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The Sharmat posted:

is this trolling

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

She's nude twice. This is to be expected when you're the lover of the main character.

Plus she spent all the last game being a major player so running into some trouble in the second game doesn't seem gratuitous to me. Especially since they early on establish that she's more powerful than Geralt when she saves him and Roche from the Scoia'tael.

Three times. When the spell that turned her into a figurine is reversed she's naked again even though she still had her clothes as a figurine. That's kind of the definition of gratuitous. With all her power she had to be carried to safety by Roche. Her outfit was fairly reasonable, I'll give CDP that much.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

2house2fly posted:

is this trolling

I just think it's funny that Commander Shepard can fix latex clad vixens' daddy issues with his dick but The Witcher gets 10 times the flak for sexism.

You know why? Because the Witcher has actual sex in it instead of fade to black and nerds are obsessed with sex. That's literally the primary reason.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Senjuro posted:

Three times. When the spell that turned her into a figurine is reversed she's naked again even though she still had her clothes as a figurine. That's kind of the definition of gratuitous. With all her power she had to be carried to safety by Roche. Her outfit was fairly reasonable, I'll give CDP that much.

oh right I forgot about that one. You don't always see it. I don't think it was meant to titillate though. And three times in a 40+ hour game isn't constant regardless.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah, they move the plot forward by scheming behind men's backs and being generally manipulative.

I should say that I'm not outraged by this stuff or anything, but I think it's okay to recognize that it's going on.

Also, "lesbomancy."

Edit:

The Sharmat posted:

I just think it's funny that Commander Shepard can fix latex clad vixens' daddy issues with his dick but The Witcher gets 10 times the flak for sexism.

You know why? Because the Witcher has actual sex in it instead of fade to black and nerds are obsessed with sex. That's literally the primary reason.

Why do you think that The Witcher gets more criticism than any other game? I think we all recognize that the Miranda stuff was pretty much universally terrible. Also, maybe take a look in any of the other threads on this forum. There have been pages long discussions about sexism in the Batman Arkham Series thread.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 17, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the perception of the female characters as being damsels in distress or manipulative witches may say more about the viewer than the content of the game itself.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I think the perception of the female characters as being damsels in distress or manipulative witches may say more about the viewer than the content of the game itself.

Characters in the games literally call them manipulative witches, dude.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So what's Saskia?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Sharmat posted:

So what's Saskia?

A damsel in distress.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

So what's Saskia?

A dragon? I should mention that I'm speaking specifically about the Lodge of Sorceresses, here.

Why are you so against the idea of this game having less than ideal portrayals of women? It's part of a medium that has historically been known for some pretty awful portrayals of women. The fact that things are a lot better now doesn't mean that there can't still be some remnants of that. It doesn't make the game not fun or the story not good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

fspades posted:

A damsel in distress.

Ah right. Like all those times Princess Peach tried to roast and eat Mario while he ran through Bowser's castle.

Roshnak posted:

A dragon? I should mention that I'm speaking specifically about the Lodge of Sorceresses, here.

I was talking about the perception of every woman in the game, not just a handful.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The Sharmat posted:

Mass Effect gets all kinds of flak for sexism, but it also has latex-clad men in it, as well as some female characters who aren't designed to look titillating. Whereas in Witcher 2, here's a male and female mage:

The Sharmat posted:

Ah right. Like all those times Princess Peach tried to roast and eat Mario while he ran through Bowser's castle.
Why is Saskia trying to kill Geralt at the end of the game? Does she want to?

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I was talking about the perception of every woman in the game, not just a handful.

Okay, which women, specifically?

There's Saskia, sorceresses, prostitutes, and commoners, right? I think you also have to save the La Valette lady if you kill Aryan (I've never actually done that). I haven't played the game in a while so I may be missing some people, but I'm pretty sure that's about it.

Who are the plot movers that you are speaking of that aren't Saskia or the Lodge?

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 17, 2014

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Sharmat posted:

She's at the thrall of said manipulative witches and on Iorveth's path your choice is between freeing her or freeing Triss. She's literally referred as a "damsel in distress" in the journal entry for said quest.

edit: In fact, thinking of Roche's path, Chapter 3 is all about saving damsels in distress.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

fspades posted:

She's at the thrall of said manipulative witches and on Iorveth's path your choice is between freeing her or freeing Triss. She's literally referred as a "damsel in distress" in the journal entry for said quest.

edit: In fact, thinking of Roche's path, Chapter 3 is all about saving damsels in distress.

Eh, sort of. Roche's path is about saving children, a boy and a girl. It just so happens that the boy was killed before you could save him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Alright I give up. The game is a massive sexist screed.

Why do you guys play it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Alright I give up. The game is a massive sexist screed.

Why do you guys play it again?

You're the one who was mad about heels, dude. Or at least you were willing to recognize the problems with them.

I already stated that it's possible to recognize that there are problems without thinking the game is bad.

• Locked thread