Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok more impressions from last time on the Wii U I'm playing at a friend's

We finished the last possible stage in 3D World, Stage Crown-Crown, and now have all 380 green stars. Spent like, 300 lives on that last stage and took a break from the game for a week before trying again. One failed attempt had us run out of time as we were running to the flagpole, which led to a whole lot of swearing.

Really, really good game though. I was initially dissapointed that we didn't get a Galaxy type game but the fact that they did what they did and still managed to make it work in multiplayer is a feat. Even though I beat it all with friends if I bought my own Wii U I would buy it again.

Then we decided to give New Super Mario Bros U a try since we were in the mood for more Mario. Hooooly poo poo bad idea, that game is garbage next to 3D World. I played and beat all of the Wii one but after world it's just painful to go back to this honestly. One of the guys commented that it felt like we were playing an indie fangame after switching to it from 3D World.

And yes I finally played with the tablet a bunch. I don't like it :v: The pro controller is very good though. Also the screen on the tablet itself has some lag right? Was noticeable on Mario. I personally think the pro controller will actually be just fine for smash, and there won't be a need to buy the gamecube controllers they made. I guess it's different if you have like 5 of the things lying around already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also the screen on the tablet itself has some lag right? Was noticeable on Mario.
I frequently switch between playing on the TV and playing strictly on the gamepad and I haven't noticed any lag in any of the games I've played. :shrug:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Also the screen on the tablet itself has some lag right? Was noticeable on Mario.
It actually probably has less lag than your regular TV or monitor, which is probably what you noticed being different. Nintendo were really particular about that screen not having any lag.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It has a single frame of delay. However, if you were playing NSMBU, I have noticed that that game in particular seems to randomly add additional input delay -- not screen delay, just the input -- for no reason I've been able to figure out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It begins :unsmigghh:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/08/the_pokemon_trading_card_game_is_coming_to_ipad_this_year

e: I think it would be cool if Nintendo would put Mario Maker on iOS next and have it coordinate with the Wii U version. Like the iOS version could just be for designing and playtesting your own levels, and the Wii U version would allow you to play everyone's levels.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 17, 2014

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Quest For Glory II posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/08/the_pokemon_trading_card_game_is_coming_to_ipad_this_year

e: I think it would be cool if Nintendo would put Mario Maker on iOS next and have it coordinate with the Wii U version. Like the iOS version could just be for designing and playtesting your own levels, and the Wii U version would allow you to play everyone's levels.

more like breast for whorey poo

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Pokemon Trading Card Game has already been on PC for some time, and I think this is just a port of the PC version. I seriously doubt this means we're going to start seeing Mario on iOS any time soon, if ever.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

We finished the last possible stage in 3D World, Stage Crown-Crown, and now have all 380 green stars. Spent like, 300 lives on that last stage and took a break from the game for a week before trying again. One failed attempt had us run out of time as we were running to the flagpole, which led to a whole lot of swearing.

Wow. Things would've been broken if that had happened to me. I'm pretty sure I had at least 100 seconds to spare by the time I got Champion's Road down. I did run out of time at the flagpole in a few earlier stages, but those were probably the "accelerated" ones, so it wasn't a huge deal.

And yes I finally played with the tablet a bunch. I don't like it :v: The pro controller is very good though. Also the screen on the tablet itself has some lag right? Was noticeable on Mario. I personally think the pro controller will actually be just fine for smash, and there won't be a need to buy the gamecube controllers they made. I guess it's different if you have like 5 of the things lying around already.

I feel like the gamepad lags behind my TV a negligible amount. I only notice it when there's a pan effect, like a solid-colored screen transitioning to something else. Even still, I had to hold up the gamepad to partially block my field of vision to the TV to even notice it. This is weird, because I've heard exactly the opposite, and I don't think my TV is some fancy pants ultra low response time model.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 17, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

enojy posted:

d
I feel like the gamepad lags behind my TV a negligible amount. I only notice it when there's a pan effect, like a solid-colored screen transitioning to something else. Even still, I had to hold up the gamepad to partially block my field of vision to the TV to even notice it. This is weird, because I've heard exactly the opposite, and I don't think my TV is some fancy pants ultra low response time model.
Weird, the gamepad is ahead of all my TVs, to the point of it being distracting because the sounds/music on the gamepad are playing ahead of the sounds/music on the TV. I usually have to leave it turned down unless I'm doing Off-TV Play.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm replaying DKC TF and drat is it good. The unique levels lend themselves well to more playthroughs and it never feels like they spent to long or to little time on each gimmick. Its also cool there's no time limit so you can look around.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Chaltab posted:

Am I missing something or is this basically a complaint of "Ugh, why does this Zelda game have so much CONTENT, I wish it were three dungeons long."

I read it more as a complaint about the repetitive structure of the games rather than the content itself. Like how many of them have had that fairly rigid [intial dungeons] *twist/reveal/story expansion* [next set of (usually 8) dungeons]?

There are other ways of doing a game like Zelda, but like the guy in a green tunic, the master sword and a girl called Zelda, the structure seems to be one of those things that make Zelda Zelda like scrolling left to right makes Mario a Mario game (have the 2D games ever scrolled right to left)?

Actually, now that i think about it, have Nintendo ever done a Mirror mode for the 2D mario games?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kin posted:

Actually, now that i think about it, have Nintendo ever done a Mirror mode for the 2D mario games?

NES Remix 2 comes with a mirrored Super Mario Bros where you play as Luigi.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Goddamn it, I'm totally going to buy a wii u before this week is out. Has anyone bought directly from Nintendo's refurbished section? $200 is a steal for a system that lets me play the next few years of Nintendo goodness.

If Ultigonio is still working on the new thread, just want to echo the sentiment from way back that something like "Yes, the refurbished models are basically new" needs to be in the OP or thread title. Now that the MK8 deal is over the refurbished system really seems like the best bang for your buck for a gaming console. Heck, since the refurbished system comes with NintendoLand if you look for discounts you could end up with the system and a handful of games for ~$300.

Austrian mook posted:

I'm replaying DKC TF and drat is it good. The unique levels lend themselves well to more playthroughs and it never feels like they spent to long or to little time on each gimmick. Its also cool there's no time limit so you can look around.

I missed out on the original DK platformers but drat Tropical Freeze has been absolutely awesome. It's surprising that both it and 3D World are so good while both being so different. People in the thread have said the new Rayman is very good as well, while still having a distinct playstyle different from DKTF and SM3DW, so I'm going to have to check that out sometime.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

http://www.vgmonline.net/bayonetta-2-receiving-five-disc-soundtrack-release-from-sega/

Sega's in-house record label Wavemaster is going to release an OST for Bayonetta 2 that will span five CDs.

Life is beautiful. :japan:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Just got to World 4 in 3D World so I went through the first pipe to the observation spot where the Mii there quoted Walsh from the first episode of Firefly. "Yes, this is a fertile land. This is a fertile land and we will thrive. We will call it... This Land."

Because I'm playing on the gamepad I have Netflix up on the TV and I was watching the first episode of Firefly.

Forget about Kinect. Nintendo knows too much and the Miiverse is run by the NSA.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Then we decided to give New Super Mario Bros U a try since we were in the mood for more Mario. Hooooly poo poo bad idea, that game is garbage next to 3D World. I played and beat all of the Wii one but after world it's just painful to go back to this honestly. One of the guys commented that it felt like we were playing an indie fangame after switching to it from 3D World.

NSMBU makes a horrible first impression. I'd give it another shot though, somewhere around the second or third world it picks up and becomes a very fun, challenging platformer. I'm in World 7 now and it hasn't blown my mind like DKCR or the 3D Marios, it's very much a boilerplate "You are Mario and you jump on things" game, but it's been worth playing and getting the star coins in each level is very much a satisfying, sometimes frustrating experience (in a good way).

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is DKCTF as much of an improvement over DKC Returns as 3D World was to 3D Land?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

nachos posted:

Absolutely

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

CatsPajamas posted:

If Ultigonio is still working on the new thread, just want to echo the sentiment from way back that something like "Yes, the refurbished models are basically new" needs to be in the OP or thread title. Now that the MK8 deal is over the refurbished system really seems like the best bang for your buck for a gaming console. Heck, since the refurbished system comes with NintendoLand if you look for discounts you could end up with the system and a handful of games for ~$300.

Yeah, I got my refurb right when Target had the buy 2 get 1 on all Wii U games and it was still during the MK8 promotion, so I got a Wii U, MK8, NSMBU, DK: TF and SM3DW for $320. Definitely best buy I made in a long time.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I got my refurb right when Target had the buy 2 get 1 on all Wii U games and it was still during the MK8 promotion, so I got a Wii U, MK8, NSMBU, DK: TF and SM3DW for $320. Definitely best buy I made in a long time.

I have been kicking myself for not jumping on that, but the refurb for $200 with Nintendoland is still a good deal, and if I can pick up a used copy of MK8 or SM3DW it'll be better.

Also worth picking up a spare refurbished Wiimote+ and Nunchuck; they sell 'em for $25, which is a hell of a deal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nachos posted:

Yes. Like M3DW every level is pretty much unique. Aside from the first world in DKTF (which is pretty much all jungle stuff) you can look at almost any screenshot and tell where it's from. "That underwater level where you're exploring an ancient ruin" looks different from "that underwater level where you're running from an octopus" and so on. Some levels focus around gimmicks (bounce pads that hit switches, moving platforms you need to wind up, et cetera) more than others but the TONE of each level is as varied as the minecart/rocket barrel levels were in DKCR.

The main problem is just the bosses. Some of them are fun, some of them go on a bit too long, and some of them (including the final boss) are a massive slog of waiting for your one chance to get a hit in during their attack cycle, then doing that eight more times.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Jedi425 posted:

I have been kicking myself for not jumping on that, but the refurb for $200 with Nintendoland is still a good deal, and if I can pick up a used copy of MK8 or SM3DW it'll be better.

Also worth picking up a spare refurbished Wiimote+ and Nunchuck; they sell 'em for $25, which is a hell of a deal.

I totally forgot I had Nintendoland. I got 2 Wiimotes with nunchucks when they were $20/each. Then I bought download codes for Wind Waker HD and Pikmin 3 for $20/each. And Shovel Knight for $10 because of the DDP and used the various DDP credit to get NES remix 2 for free. $410 for a Wii U, 7 full games, 2 Wiimote pluses with nunchucks, Shovel Knight and NES Remix 2. Good time to be a Wii U owner.

Edit: Oh yeah, and used the club nintendo platinum status to get Donkey Kong Coutry Returns 3D and club nintendo coins to get Super Mario Brothers 2. Still have 1000+ club Nintendo points left. Definitely a great time to be a Nintendo customer.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 17, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
NSMBU was consistent throughout - I enjoyed the entire thing immensely, but it didn't get better or worse. I want another one.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

NSMBU was consistent throughout - I enjoyed the entire thing immensely, but it didn't get better or worse. I want another one.

There's a part of me that hates how much I agree with you.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
New Super Luigi U rules, so if you haven't played it yet I'd say go for it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tropical Freeze is my favourite platformer on a system that has 3D World, Rayman and NSMBU so it's pretty good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nachos posted:

For sure. TF is an improvement in every way. As much as I loved Returns, it had some boring settings and music. TF has much more interesting stages and they brought back Dave Wise to compose the awesome soundtrack. You can also play as Cranky.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

New Super Luigi U rules, so if you haven't played it yet I'd say go for it.

What's the consensus on this because I still have $15 on the eShop. I really don't need to be buying a new game since I already have a Wii U backlog but I LOVED NSMBU. I'm thinking of using the money as a discount on Bayonetta 2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fremry posted:

What's the consensus on this because I still have $15 on the eShop. I really don't need to be buying a new game since I already have a Wii U backlog but I LOVED NSMBU. I'm thinking of using the money as a discount on Bayonetta 2.

If you loved NSMBU then it's a must.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

I'm still on it, and yeah, the draft says the exact words: "Nintendo's refurbished systems are good-as-new." It'll be way up there.

Oh no, they're porting the Online TCG that was already on PC to the iPad???

While it's the first time TPC has released something this big on iOS, The Pokemon Company is basically its own entity, reasonably separate from Nintendo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Fremry posted:

The stages are about half the length of the stages in NSMBU, but they're more difficult by comparison, lack mid-stage checkpoints, and you only get 100 seconds to clear the stage. Also, Luigi's controls are similar to how they worked in Lost Levels, in that high jump is higher and he's a little floatier in the air, but his ground traction is worse so he's harder to stop once moving. I'd say it's great if you loved NSMBU and wanted more of a challenge.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oh, does anyone know if Lego City Undercover has any unique Miiverse functionality, by any chance?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I really like being able to see some random Miiverse posts while I play SM3DW but I'm getting real fuckin' tired of all of them being about Game Grumps.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ultigonio posted:

Oh, does anyone know if Lego City Undercover has any unique Miiverse functionality, by any chance?

Not really, no.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Kaubocks posted:

I really like being able to see some random Miiverse posts while I play SM3DW but I'm getting real fuckin' tired of all of them being about Game Grumps.

The hell is the deal with that? It's annoying me as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Asnorban posted:

The hell is the deal with that? It's annoying me as well.

The Grumps are currently doing a playthrough of 3D World, and have made a big show of reading and sometimes responding to Miiverse posts, so I think people are trying to get their 15 seconds of fame by making a Miiverse post that they'll read on the air.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There may also be some from Dex01's LP here on SA that people are mistaking for Game Grumps posts. For example I threw up a couple of "LP photobob-omb" that could be ambiguous.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Is there a way to disable the gamepad mic? Mine's stopped working, and I'm trying to figure out if I just hit the wrong button or if something is actually broken.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If I have some Wii game save data on my Wii U and I decide to transfer data from my Wii, it doesn't erase the stuff already on the Wii U does it? Basically, I'm replaying some of my Wii games on my Wii U and after Smash 4 releases, I'd transfer over my Smash 3 data if I can use the gamecube controllers for it on my Wii U with the adaptor.

edit: DKCTF talk. I really, really like Tropical Freeze and just got to world 4 this morning. All this swimming is driving me insane. But boy howdy, the mine cart level in this world really outdid itself! I'm keeping my mouth shut cause everyone should experience that on their own!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bruceski posted:

There may also be some from Dex01's LP here on SA that people are mistaking for Game Grumps posts. For example I threw up a couple of "LP photobob-omb" that could be ambiguous.
No. About 90% (admittedly generous estimate but it feels like it) of the Miiverse posts for SM3DW right now reference Danny, Arin, or Grumps.

• Locked thread