Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why do people seem to hate this show so much? And, yes, I have seen it.

It's just a case where the genuine bafflement that such a mediocre show could somehow be so successful mutates into hatred, kind-of like why I ended up hating Everybody Loves Raymond even though nothing about the show is particularly offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mind the walrus posted:

It's just a case where the genuine bafflement that such a mediocre show could somehow be so successful mutates into hatred, kind-of like why I ended up hating Everybody Loves Raymond even though nothing about the show is particularly offensive.

So, it's like how I feel about Friends?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not far off, yeah.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The obvious solution to all these problems is to bring back Mighty Max.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I miss the Mega Man cartoon personally.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I miss the Mega Man cartoon personally.

Only if it is the version of Mega Man from Captain N: The Game Master.

Mega... Mega...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mister Kingdom posted:

So, it's like how I feel about Friends?
Well I hate Friends because all my mom's friends think I'm going to be Ross when I grow up and not Dr. Grant.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The reason Marvel animation - TV, direct to video, anime - are all so bad is because Marvel knows they must make all these things bad in order to be able to make good movies. They're like sacrifices to the bad movie god.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

The reason Marvel animation - TV, direct to video, anime - are all so bad is because Marvel knows they must make all these things bad in order to be able to make good movies. They're like sacrifices to the bad movie god.
I got some bad news for them...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

I thought that was them not making any moves to get Spider-Man, X-Men, or Fantastic Four back from Fox and Sony, thus forcing them to manage their B and C-list properties effectively in a way they never would have had to if they had all three of their biggest cash cows to lean on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those movies are the best and worst things to happen to Marvel.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mind the walrus posted:

I thought that was them not making any moves to get Spider-Man, X-Men, or Fantastic Four back from Fox and Sony, thus forcing them to manage their B and C-list properties effectively in a way they never would have had to if they had all three of their biggest cash cows to lean on.

The Spiderman franchise is probably one of their most profitable movie franchises. They get the profits from the merchandise without even having to sink money into making the movies.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Brevoort has straight up said that Marvel doesn't care for anything they don't 100% own the film rights of, including animation. Hence no more X-Men animated series/films but a million Tony Start/Black Widow/Nick Fury/SHIELD appearances.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Spiderman franchise is probably one of their most profitable movie franchises. They get the profits from the merchandise without even having to sink money into making the movies.

Yes, and that's totally tangential to what I was saying-- by leaving the quality of their most famous long-term cash cows in the hands of others they've effectively created sacrificial lambs that force them to make quality products of their "lesser" properties if they want their own Studio to succeed. You can't tell me with a straight face Marvel Studios wouldn't be like 50% lazier if they could just fart out Spider-Man and Wolverine movies every other year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah Brevoort has straight up said that Marvel doesn't care for anything they don't 100% own the film rights of, including animation. Hence no more X-Men animated series/films but a million Tony Start/Black Widow/Nick Fury/SHIELD appearances.

Well we've had plenty of X-Men animated poo poo so I welcome the future and the 50 Inhumans dvds we'll be getting.

Edit: Re watched Superman Dooms Day. I wonder if Segway paid for this product placement.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 17, 2014

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I can totally imagine Clark riding around on that thing just to make himself look like a douche and reinforce his secret identity.

Edit: Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent riding a Segway.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Now I'm picturing Reeves doing a GOB impression on a Segway and I'm sad. :smith:

E-- "I'm feeling incredible! I'm having an incredible year!"

such deliveries we were not meant to know :smith:

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 18, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Great, now you guys have depressed me with Chris Reeve imagery.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
"Mr. Luthor sir we have irrefutable proof that Clark Kent is superman!"

"Clark Kent rides a segway, you're' fired."

"but Sir we have it on video"

"Clark Kent rides a segway, now get the hell out before I have you shot then arrested."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waterhaul posted:

But Ultimate Spiderman???

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It probably helps Marvel has full merchandise rights for the Spider-Man movies.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Cardboard Box A posted:

But Ultimate Spiderman???

Marvel has full merch rights as noted but it's still a show where Spider-Man all of a sudden works for SHIELD and hangs around film characters.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Waterhaul posted:

Marvel has full merch rights as noted but it's still a show where Spider-Man all of a sudden works for SHIELD and hangs around film characters.

"Film characters" like a jovial fun-lovin' Hulk who never turns into Banner, a teenage Falcon using a Stark-made suit, a super-sensible Starlord who has no time for fun, and a Loki who is still trying to overthrow Odin and conquer the Nine Realms.

So really, you could say that Ultimate Spider-Man is about as close to the movies as the rest of their animated stuff. Technically correct! The best kind of correct.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Fuego Fish posted:

"Film characters" like a jovial fun-lovin' Hulk who never turns into Banner, a teenage Falcon using a Stark-made suit, a super-sensible Starlord who has no time for fun, and a Loki who is still trying to overthrow Odin and conquer the Nine Realms.

So really, you could say that Ultimate Spider-Man is about as close to the movies as the rest of their animated stuff. Technically correct! The best kind of correct.

I was referring to the fact that he hangs out with Sam Jackson and Clark Gregg.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Waterhaul posted:

I was referring to the fact that he hangs out with Sam Jackson and Clark Gregg.

I'm honestly not sure how their characterisations stand up, comparatively, because Fury just needs to be angry and shouting all the time, and Agent Coulson isn't exactly difficult to write since he's such a blank slate.

Maybe I should watch the show more (this is a bad idea I'm not doing it).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the way you describe Loki is the same as movie Loki.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Aphrodite posted:

Also the way you describe Loki is the same as movie Loki.

Not if you've watched Thor 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Not if you've watched Thor 2.

Thor 2 is where it happens. At the end he goes back to regular old Loki.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm honestly not sure how their characterisations stand up, comparatively, because Fury just needs to be angry and shouting all the time, and Agent Coulson isn't exactly difficult to write since he's such a blank slate.

Maybe I should watch the show more (this is a bad idea I'm not doing it).

I'm not talking about characterisations, Marvel don't care about that. It's the cross branding and synergy.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Aphrodite posted:

Thor 2 is where it happens. At the end he goes back to regular old Loki.

... no? The end of the movie pretty much cements the character change.

Waterhaul posted:

I'm not talking about characterisations, Marvel don't care about that. It's the cross branding and synergy.

Oh, fair enough then.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So is there any trace of the 70s white Nick Fury, or did the movies make him Sam Jackson everywhere?

I bet David Hasslehoff just shakes his head and weeps at what might have been when he sees that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jack Gladney posted:

So is there any trace of the 70s white Nick Fury, or did the movies make him Sam Jackson everywhere?

I bet David Hasslehoff just shakes his head and weeps at what might have been when he sees that.

After Avengers they wrote him off everything for a while with Sam Jackson taking his place. They recently brought him back for Original Sin which is killing him off "for good".

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Jack Gladney posted:

Garth Ennis did a run of comics called Nick Fury: My War Gone By which tied into his Punisher MAX stuff. It was a 12 issue run that ran a year or two ago, and it was basically old grumpy Nick Fury talking about how he's been in every conflict in the 20th century while he chews on a cigar and drinks a lot. I loved it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now I want to see a Nick Fury movie that's Sam Jackson in World War II, but otherwise made like it was from the 60s with all the other characters still there, like the fat guy and the gay British umbrella guy.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Marvel has announced that Donald Glover is gonna voice Miles Morales on Ultimate Spider-Man

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dacap posted:

Marvel has announced that Donald Glover is gonna voice Miles Morales on Ultimate Spider-Man

If you're lying to me I will cut you

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Senor Candle posted:

If you're lying to me I will cut you

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/08/26/donald-glover-ultimate-spider-man-exclusive/14559815/

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

While he is way too old to voice a 13 year old kid, it's awesome that he is doing it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Finally, Donald Glover gets to be Spider-Man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Well Bendis said the character was in part inspired by the Glover Spider-man thing so I guess it makes sense. I just wish he were playing Spider-Man in something that did not suck big floppy donkey dick.

• Locked thread