Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

karl fungus posted:

Why do people care how other people give birth?

If someone doesn't needlessly suffer as much as I do during an ordeal they're clearly inferior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

karl fungus posted:

The witches told me that I cannot be defeated by any man born of woman. Even one C-section is a potential threat to me.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Gimnbo posted:

If someone doesn't needlessly suffer as much as I do during an ordeal they're clearly inferior.

What sort of idiot willingly wants to suffer more when a less painful alternative is available?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The witches told me that I cannot be defeated by any man born of woman. Even one C-section is a potential threat to me.

Dammit, you beat me to it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

karl fungus posted:

What sort of idiot willingly wants to suffer more when a less painful alternative is available?

"Look how strong and tough I am!" is more or less it. Especially when it comes to childbirth.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Picnic Princess posted:

"Look how strong and tough I am!" is more or less it. Especially when it comes to childbirth.

But it's natural~~

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know if it's because a big portion of my social group is now birthin' age or if there's actually been a resurgence of this, but suddenly like 3 of my acquaintances are training to be doulas and two are always talking about midwifery and campaigning for midwife rights in our state. As of last year I had never even heard of a doula and now it seems like they're everywhere. Birthing and parenting seems to bring out the worst of medical/science distrust. "How can these doctors be right when I, a mother, etc. etc."

edit: I should clarify, most of the doulas I've seen are more of the birth-support kind, who are just there to assist the mother through the birthing process by being a calm and supportive voice who isn't emotionally involved with the baby (like a partner or parent may be). Some of them are also trained to help a mother in the event of a c-section being needed but not planned for, or to help a woman through unforeseen complications. So they aren't all anti-modern medicine people. But the two midwife people definitely are.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Aug 17, 2014

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Picnic Princess posted:

I think it's more "anyone who makes a different decision to me is implicitly criticizing me, my decisions, my birth experience and MAH BABY"

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
There is also a school of thought (and I don't know how much validity it has, but I'm guessing "none") that one of the benefits of the natural birth process is the creation of an emotional and physical bond between the mother and the child that is not possible with a c-section. I guess imprinting doesn't happen when the kid is just left to wonder who that woman lying on the table is.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Henchman of Santa posted:

My mom's insane Yngwie-listening wannabe cougar friend is back.

Crying because he guessed one year older. If some crazy middle-aged lady was hitting on me and had already left the tip I would've guessed twenty years higher.
The best part is that he was probably deliberately guessing lower than what he actually thought, so she probably looks more like she's 60.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

A friend shared this from the page, Anti-Feminazi.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Double Plus Good posted:

I don't know if it's because a big portion of my social group is now birthin' age or if there's actually been a resurgence of this, but suddenly like 3 of my acquaintances are training to be doulas and two are always talking about midwifery and campaigning for midwife rights in our state. As of last year I had never even heard of a doula and now it seems like they're everywhere. Birthing and parenting seems to bring out the worst of medical/science distrust. "How can these doctors be right when I, a mother, etc. etc."

edit: I should clarify, most of the doulas I've seen are more of the birth-support kind, who are just there to assist the mother through the birthing process by being a calm and supportive voice who isn't emotionally involved with the baby (like a partner or parent may be). Some of them are also trained to help a mother in the event of a c-section being needed but not planned for, or to help a woman through unforeseen complications. So they aren't all anti-modern medicine people. But the two midwife people definitely are.

The argument in favor of midwives is that midwives were basically the de facto birthing person for basically humanity's entire history. It's a valid argument, in a way, and midwives are generally quite competent at delivering babies. What they suck at, in that they are not doctors, is dealing with any complications that come up. Most births don't have a ton of complications and go off without an issue so it can look like doctors just want you to go to the hospital to make money to many people. Which is why you hear "well I gave birth to nine children at home with a midwife and all of them survived!" ignoring, of course, that often those children got medical care as they grew up. Some of it is "well it's natural" but other parts of it is "well nobody I know had complications during birth." But that's why the doctors are there. Just in case.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Conal Cochran posted:

Is...is this saying that men just can't not rape?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

1stGear posted:

I think the idea is that simply saying "Hey, don't rape," is pretty silly, but it's clearly willful ignorance because I'm sure the woman on the left is quite aware of this fact and probably has a more robust point than that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Billboard #2 song of 2013 (after "Thrift Shop") was one in which the singer says he hates his romantic interest's "blurred lines" and asserts that he "knows [she] wants it".

So yeah, I think that lesson might actually need teaching.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

karl fungus posted:

A while ago I read a blog by a woman recounting the social aspects of her pregnancy, and it seems like the moment you get pregnant you become a rare earth magnet for busybodies.

Conal Cochran posted:

Feminists advocate education about rape because there are lots of men who aren't actually clear on what rape is. Most people are pretty clear about what murder is and why it's bad, but somehow when you bring up rape there's lots of hemming and hawing about what really constitutes rape, and whether the victim brought it on themselves.

But weirdly, it's the people who claim to be looking out for men's rights who are saying that men are animals who can't control their urges no matter what, and feminists who are saying that men can be better than that.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

There's a surprising number of people who will agree that yes, rape is bad, and then proceed to agree that there are situations in which it's okay to have sex with a person who doesn't want it, as long as the questions don't actually contain the word "rape."

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Plom Bar posted:

This is the funniest god drat thing and I want your permission to post it.

Go nuts dude!

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Well, I'm at the life stage where couples I knew in high school are now getting married. I dread the day they start getting pregnant and posting about it.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

One of the most original videos yet! And by that we mean the 300,000,000th ice bucket challenge video!!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

karl fungus posted:

Well, I'm at the life stage where couples I knew in high school are now getting married. I dread the day they start getting pregnant and posting about it.

They don't stop, fyi. It's all babies all the time from here on out. I have a toothache, my first solid dooker, I just turned eighteen days old!--everything, over and over and over again. It'll make you pine for the days of "SHARE THIS IF YOUR NOT HEARTLES!" posts.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

They don't stop, fyi. It's all babies all the time from here on out. I have a toothache, my first solid dooker, I just turned eighteen days old!--everything, over and over and over again. It'll make you pine for the days of "SHARE THIS IF YOUR NOT HEARTLES!" posts.

Also they're profile picture will always be of their kid, always. But it's hilarious if they lose it. Looks like the baby us swearing and raging.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Picnic Princess posted:

Also they're profile picture will always be of their kid, always. But it's hilarious if they lose it. Looks like the baby us swearing and raging.

Jesus, I had to read that twice before realizing you didn't mean 'lose it [the baby]'

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

KillerEggplant posted:

There's a surprising number of people who will agree that yes, rape is bad, and then proceed to agree that there are situations in which it's okay to have sex with a person who doesn't want it, as long as the questions don't actually contain the word "rape."

A lot of people are more afraid of being labeled a rapist than they are of actually being a rapist.

Funnily enough, I accidentally typed "racist" in the entry box and it works just as well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nikaer Drekin posted:

One of the most original videos yet! And by that we mean the 300,000,000th ice bucket challenge video!!

Yeah, but it's Carrie Underwood:allears:
Oklahoma's Least Embarassing Export

Gimnbo posted:

A lot of people are more afraid of being labeled a rapist than they are of actually being a rapist.

Funnily enough, I accidentally typed "racist" in the entry box and it works just as well.

"I'm not a rapist, buuuut I just think that women should cover up more and not walk places without a male chaperone"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

KillerEggplant posted:

Women as well, oddly enough. I know a surprising amount of guys who had drunk sex with a sober woman and everyone claimed it was A-okay, even though those guys clearly felt violated. People in general need to be taught that rape isn't only committed by strangers in an alley at gunpoint.

Fake edit: reminds me of a poll I took about crime at my campus. One of the statements amounted to "I have never raped somebody" which almost everyone gave the highest score of agreement on, and then it was followed by a bunch of statements that pretty clearly implied rape (e.g. I have never had sex with a drunk person" or "I believe it is okay for a person to force their partner to have sex with them if they have been dating for a long time") and the results differed. :negative:

Deltasquid has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

You heard it here first folks: The Purge is real and the media is covering it up. It definitely wasn't a hoax started by a dumbass teenager that publicly apologized for it, supplemented by prank calls, trolls, and fake police scanner apps.

Nope. Coverup.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah well this thing somehow worked out so now you know the next 6 months will feature dozens of attempts to copy it in new and exciting ways for other causes. Brace yourself.

Do a headstand for cancer awareness!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

1stGear posted:

MRA's who have rapist tendencies think that all men are hardwired to rape women because :biotruths:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

KillerEggplant posted:

I genuinely do have a girlfriend in Canada. Plane tickets are a regular expense and the subject of who's going to emigrate is under discussion. Plenty of people meet and date long-distance over the internet these days. It's not really implausible, and you sounded sincere. I'd guess your friends trusted your sincerity and are actually happy for you.

This. I dated a Canadian for 3 years. I flew there over couple of months for a few weeks, and he would occasionally drive to me. We were talking about me emigrating, looking for places that would hire someone on a visa, etc. when he decided to end it (I can't have kids, he decided he couldn't live with that). Especially with the internet now, it's not implausible at all to be dating someone the next country over.

And the "Winni Peg" thing... maybe it's just me, but I don't automatically think of nicknames for people when given their name, especially their middle name. Since you were saying your girlfriend's name, I would assume that she goes by Winnifred. If I'm dating a Jimmy I'm not going to introduce him to people as James and wait for them to figure it out.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
There are some benefits to an infant being squeezed out the old-fashioned way, like the trip down the birth canal helping clear amniotic fluid out of the lungs. There are also some minor risks associated with C-sections, although a lot of them could be caused by a lot of other things. This is why doctors usually encourage vaginal birth, but are also fine with loading the moms up with pain meds or an epidural or whatever. The ones that push for C-sections because their shift is almost over or because they have a golf game are just dicks.

I had a c-section and I bonded with my baby just fine, the hormone that causes bonding and intense parental feelings doesn't go away as soon as the kid pops out.

A lot of it is the "Better at momming than you are!" bullshit that's going around

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Recently I discovered a website called misandry.com.

This is a post on their forum:

quote:

If women want to avoid rape, they should simply:

*avoid being alone
*stay in crowded places
*dress modestly (or decently)
*don't get drunk
*avoid seedy places
*don't talk to strangers
*avoid parties with alcohol and drugs

..This is what gets women angry? Really?! This is stuff that was taught to us since we were children!

They don't see any irony whatsoever in saying this, and then complaining that women fear and hate men.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Long piece of text bullshit, just going to put this in a quote tag:

quote:

A TEACHER FROM THE GREAT STATE OF MISSOURI WILL LOSE HER JOB FOR STANDING UP FOR ALL OF US.

Give this teacher and true American a standing ovation.
This 4th grade teacher has said it all, and she was brave enough to attach her name to it.

... The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500

Mr. Obama:
I have had it with you and your administration, sir. Your conduct on your recent trip overseas has convinced me that you are not an adequate representative of the United States of America collectively or of me personally.

You are so obsessed with appeasing the Europeans and the Muslim world that you have abdicated the responsibilities of the President of the United States of America . You are responsible to the citizens of the United States . You are not responsible to the peoples of any other country on earth.

I personally resent that you go around the world apologizing for the United States telling Europeans that we are arrogant and do not care about their status in the world. Sir, what do you think the First World War and the Second World War were all about if not the consideration of the peoples of Europe ? Are you brain dead? What do you think the Marshall Plan was all about? Do you not understand or know the history of the 20th century?

Where do you get off telling a Muslim country that the United States does not consider itself a Christian country? Have you not read the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution of the United States ? This country was founded on Judeo-Christian ethics and the principles governing this country, at least until you came along, come directly from this heritage. Do you not understand this?

Your bowing to the king of Saudi Arabia is an affront to all Americans. Our President does not bow down to anyone, let alone the king of Saudi Arabia .... You didn't show Great Britain , our best and one of our oldest allies, the respect they deserve yet you bow down to the king of Saudi Arabia .. How dare you, sir! How dare you!

You can't find the time to visit the graves of our greatest generation because you don't want to offend the Germans but make time to visit a mosque in Turkey ...... You offended our dead and every veteran when you give the Germans more respect than the people who saved the German people from themselves. What's the matter with you? I am convinced that you and the members of your administration have the historical and intellectual depth of a mud puddle and should be ashamed of yourselves, all of you.

You are so self-righteously offended by the big bankers and the American automobile manufacturers yet do nothing about the real thieves in this situation, Mr. Dodd, Mr. Frank, Franklin Raines, Jamie Gorelic, the Fannie Mae bonuses, and the Freddie Mac bonuses. What do you intend to do about them? Anything? I seriously doubt it.

What about the U.S. House members passing out $9.1 million in bonuses to their staff members on top of the $2.5 million in automatic pay raises that lawmakers gave themselves? I understand the average House aide got a 17% bonus. I took a 5% cut in my pay to save jobs with my employer. You haven't said anything about that. Who authorized that? I surely didn't!
Executives at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac will be receiving $210 million in bonuses over an eighteen-month period, that's $45 million more than the AIG bonuses. In fact, Fannie and Freddie executives have already been awarded $51 million not a bad take. Who authorized that and why haven't you expressed your outrage at this group who are largely responsible for the economic mess we have right now?

I resent that you take me and my fellow citizens as brain-dead and not caring about what you idiots do. We are watching what you are doing and we are getting increasingly fed up with all of you.

I also want you to know that I personally find just about everything you do and say to be offensive to every one of my sensibilities. I promise you that I will work tirelessly to see that you do not get a chance to spend two terms destroying my beautiful country.

Sincerely,
Every real American
P.S. I rarely ask that emails be 'passed around'.................PLEASE SEND THIS TO YOUR EMAIL LIST......it's past time for all Americans to wake up!

Ms Kathleen Lyday
Fourth Grade Teacher
Grandview Elementary School
11470 Hwy . C
Hillsboro , MO 63050

(This woman may lose her job for this letter.. I believe we owe it to her for expressing the outrage that we feel but fail to address. Please pass this on.)

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

OptimusShr posted:

Long piece of text bullshit, just going to put this in a quote tag:

Hilariously, Kathleen Lyday didn't even write that. Her name got attached due to someone else's misunderstanding after Lyday forwarded the email.

Let this be a lesson: Don't forward stupid emails, or someone even more stupid will think you wrote them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'd fire anyone who forwarded that poo poo to me unless their job was testing new drool-absorbent bibs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I will never understand how people repost images that are this hosed up from compression.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Someone on my Facebook feed prefaced a post asking for suggestions for beers to try with a huge "TRIGGER WARNING: ALCOHOL". When I saw it I assumed it'd be a post about alcohol abuse or something legitimately triggering, but no it was "my grocery store is having a beer sale and I want to try new beers, what kind should I get?" :rolleyes: That doesn't need a loving trigger warning.

brain.centipedes
Feb 6, 2010

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

IronicDongz posted:

I will never understand how people repost images that are this hosed up from compression.

Boy, Aesop sure has a lot of opinions about modern society for being a dead Greek.

Also, the original story is about a father and son. Why change it to husband and wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
The bald onlooker is wearing a a striped shirt with black sleeves in the first, and a green shirt in the remaining three.

• Locked thread