Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

WitherSnow posted:

Here is my test post for a game called Mother 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79A2_T_wajI&feature=youtu.be

It's stuck on 95% processing. Hopefully It wil work.

Video LP of a JRPG.

Bad_Idea.mov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There are also a lot of factual inaccuracies in your commentary. Mother 3 was not originally released on the Sega Saturn in 1996. Flint's name in Japan is not Mr. Satan. You cannot break battles by having Flint grind EXP by repeatedly using the Yell technique. The box behind the house contains a Nut Bread, not "a great big stash of weed." The game does not steal its plot from Die Hard 2. It is a sequel to Earthbound, not Aero the Acro-Bat. The game's creator was Shigesato Itoi, not Alexey Pajitnov. Hinawa is not, as you stated, a "total MILF."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would criticize your commentary, but I can barely hear it over the music.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Been working on my intro this morning. Too many gifs?

quote:

Pikmin 3 was released for Nintendo’s Wii U in the summer of 2013. This is the first time the series has seen a new release since Pikmin 2 on the GameCube in 2004. Even though Pikmin 3 was heavily teased to arrive on the Wii in 2008/2009, the Wii only saw New Play Control re-releases of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 that were actually incredibly badass.

The Pikmin games typically focus on martians crash-landing on a post-apocalyptic Earth. During their travel, they rely on small bug-like plant creatures called Pikmin to lift and kill various things obscuring their progress. I’ve heard the Overlord games copy this format. Pikmin (2001) introduced the series with three types of Pikmin (red, blue, and yellow) and Pikmin 2 brought in two more types (white and purple) to further complicate the game world. I played Pikmin to 100% completion when it came out, but I never saw Pikmin 2 all the way through.

These games are also Miyamoto-as-hell.

LP Style and Intent
I have played about an hour into Pikmin 3 to get the feel for it, but this is largely going to be a blind LP. I’m not worried about the content lacking information because I have enough exposure to the series to where sitting down with the game for an hour felt like coming home.

Pikmin games have always had the virtue of clear, succinct stopping points with its day and night system. Videos will more than likely be segmented to each day, which should be around fifteen minutes per video. Because it would be strange to invite my friends over to hang out for fifteen minutes at a time, we may record for an hour or two, and I’ll piecemeal and parcel the content over a week. Seems like a lot to edit. Exciting!

I will have two friends accommodate me in the same room as I play. One of them played a lot of Pikmin 2’s multiplayer with me as a kid, and one is just a straight-up Nintendo Idiot and doesn’t know anything, that stupid piece of garbage.

The Hardware bear with me, I like to share this stuff
I got bored a couple weeks ago, and started to talk with my friend about audio equipment and editing. One thing led to another, and I acquired an audio mixer with some dynamic microphones. To me, half the fun of doing a Let’s Play for me is the hardware and tech behind it, so here are some thumbnails of the setup, for those interested.

The Basics

Pikmin are goofy plants that fight and lift things for you. Their color determines what they can accomplish.

Regula’ Pikmin
  • Red

Red Pikmin are really strong, and can resist fire. They have noses.

• Yellow

Yellow Pikmin can be thrown higher than other Pikmin, and can resist electricity. They have big, dumb ears.

• Blue

Blue Pikmin are kinda boring. They can go in the water, and that’s about it. They have mouths.
Pikmin 2 types. I don’t think these make an appearance in Pikmin 3.
  • White

White Pikmin are really really fast, can dig things out of the ground, and are resistant to poison.

• Purple

Purple Pikmin are just big, fat, and strong.
New to Pikmin 3
~STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!~

Flowers

The longer a Pikmin stays in the dirt, the more its flower buds and blooms. Pikmin with flowers run faster and are a bit more powerful. In previous games, you could find yellow sap to quickly level a bunch of post-pluck Pikmin at a time.

VIDEO DIRECTORY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think we're past the point where GIFs are going to break someone's internet connection unless they're reading LPs from the Himalayas.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

chitoryu12 posted:

I think we're past the point where GIFs are going to break someone's internet connection unless they're reading LPs from the Himalayas.

Even so, the gifs for the main 3 pikmin types are annoying, and static shots with the text would be better.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
On the other hand that cover image is massive. Just scale it down to like 600x800 or something.

Though I will say if you can get those GIFs of the Pimin types to hang on the descriptions for longer (about double what they are now) that'd be pretty good.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Alright. Swapped out the gifs of the red blue and yellow pikmin to static images and resized the header image. I'm really proud of that thing. Went outside to take pictures of plants to mess around with during the duration of the LP. I really wish I could find toy figurines of Pikmin on the cheap.

e: Oh, duh. You meant the game cover image. yeah, I changed that. I thought you meant the header image.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 17, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are also a lot of factual inaccuracies in your commentary. Mother 3 was not originally released on the Sega Saturn in 1996. Flint's name in Japan is not Mr. Satan. You cannot break battles by having Flint grind EXP by repeatedly using the Yell technique. The box behind the house contains a Nut Bread, not "a great big stash of weed." The game does not steal its plot from Die Hard 2. It is a sequel to Earthbound, not Aero the Acro-Bat. The game's creator was Shigesato Itoi, not Alexey Pajitnov. Hinawa is not, as you stated, a "total MILF."

Actually, this commentary sounds pretty good.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FactsAreUseless posted:

I always thought spouting out a bunch of factually incorrect information would be a hilarious way to do an LP of something like Sonic or Mega Man X because people get mad about videogames :shobon:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bellmaker posted:

I always thought spouting out a bunch of factually incorrect information would be a hilarious way to do an LP of something like Sonic or Mega Man X because people get mad about videogames :shobon:

Some Strange Flea was doing it for Star Fox 64, probably one of the most hilarious LPs I've seen. Never made it to archives though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

dscruffy1 posted:

Some Strange Flea was doing it for Star Fox 64, probably one of the most hilarious LPs I've seen. Never made it to archives though.
Yeah, jokes tend to work better when they're audible. I'd recommend that WitherSnow back up from their mic cause they're puffing a lot of air into the mic.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

Never made it to completion either. So, you know.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

That's literally my Pokemon LP.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect, all information in said Let's Play is true.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Putty posted:

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect, all information in said Let's Play is true.
All interpretations of the source material are valid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So what you're saying is that the facts you give out in your Pokemon Let's Play aren't particularly useful?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
If anyone can bring John Romero on board to co-commentate an LP of Daikatana then I'd be up for it!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't LP without my buddy John Romero!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

If anyone can bring John Romero on board to co-commentate an LP of Daikatana then I'd be up for it!

I'm sure he's busy with his next masterpiece 14 years in the making.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana 2: Dai Harder

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your audio is way too low and you keep reading all the text on screen.

Like your voice is fighting all of the in-game music and sound, but it also doesn't matter because all you're telling us are things we can read on the screen.

I guess this isn't the best point in the game to show. I will do my best to fix said problems.
Thank you.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Cernunnos posted:

Video LP of a JRPG.

Bad_Idea.mov

Don't listen to the haters. There's nothing wrong with 100+ episode VLPs of JRPGS :colbert:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kuvo posted:

Don't listen to the haters. There's nothing wrong with 100+ episode VLPs of JRPGS :colbert:

Only if your actually funny/have co-commentators that are funny. Which you are. Usually.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kuvo posted:

Agreed, there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of a VLP for JRPGs. You just have be more judicious with editing or have some really goddamn good co-commentary. Preferably both.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh, that's why we started having guests.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Haven't done anything with PS2 stuff before, so figured this'd be a good idea so I can work on it without inadvertently ballsing up something major.

No full OP yet, but I'd rather get actual content sorted out first anyway. On that note!

Hypothetical update 2, since that one has actual gameplay and not just Lots Of CutscenesTM.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dragonatrix posted:

Haven't done anything with PS2 stuff before, so figured this'd be a good idea so I can work on it without inadvertently ballsing up something major.

No full OP yet, but I'd rather get actual content sorted out first anyway. On that note!

Hypothetical update 2, since that one has actual gameplay and not just Lots Of CutscenesTM.

The text in the screenshots is noticeably blurry, but other than that, I don't see any issues.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Dragonatrix posted:

You might also want to cut out the stuff relating to how people's eyes suddenly gain color. That's not supposed to be apparent until Cielo goes from zero to Jamaican in three seconds.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Howdy crazy person who keeps messaging me on Steam and instant messengers the seldom time I am online and doesn't ever actually respond. Go ahead and do a LP of Drakengard 3. I won't get mad. I don't give a gently caress! It's Drakengard 3 and my schedule the rest of the year is "loving busy as poo poo with work, don't give a gently caress!"

Thanks!

Internet people are weird. I should stop responding to them.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I claim this topic in the name of Spain. Lets Play Expeditions: Conquistador

Intro thread.

Character/team creation.

Now, I know I don't have a game session post yet, but my chief concern right now is if my structure needs work, or if my premise is either confusing or too complicated.

Criticism is welcome.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I have redone the beginning of the Spud's Quest LP with your guys' comments in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Nhj5CdNHc

Is this an improvement?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mauman posted:

I claim this topic in the name of Spain. Lets Play Expeditions: Conquistador

Intro thread.

Character/team creation.

Now, I know I don't have a game session post yet, but my chief concern right now is if my structure needs work, or if my premise is either confusing or too complicated.

Criticism is welcome.

You lay out everything nicely and explain the things people will be voting on in a way that they'll understand what they're choosing. It looks good to me. I'd say you're good to go, but I wouldn't mind seeing a draft of a hypothetical update just to get a feel for how things will be once they're in motion. Because that's where your structural weaknesses will come out, though I have a feeling you're gonna do just fine based off what I've seen already.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Not quite sure where to ask so I'll just ask here.

Chip & Ironicus apparently have a Zone of the Enders LP, but the one on LPArchive that links to their site is down. Did they ever re-upload it anywhere or is it just gone?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Highwang posted:

Not quite sure where to ask so I'll just ask here.

Chip & Ironicus apparently have a Zone of the Enders LP, but the one on LPArchive that links to their site is down. Did they ever re-upload it anywhere or is it just gone?

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1379FD3E86154D24

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

David D. Davidson posted:

You might also want to cut out the stuff relating to how people's eyes suddenly gain color.

Ah, yeah, fair point. I'll cut that stuff out; seems fairly obvious from context, but best to err on the safer side.

ultrafilter posted:

The text in the screenshots is noticeably blurry, but other than that, I don't see any issues.

Honestly, I think that might just be the in-game font. Might not be, so I'll see if I can improve it any though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Rush_shirt posted:

I have redone the beginning of the Spud's Quest LP with your guys' comments in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Nhj5CdNHc

Is this an improvement?

This is much better! You've improved on many aspects of the original video and it's given a much better product because of it. It felt way more engaging and just kept my attention through out.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Huh, it was on their old acct eh? No wonder I missed it.

I wonder why it's not on their new channel?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Highwang posted:

Huh, it was on their old acct eh? No wonder I missed it.

I wonder why it's not on their new channel?

From what I heard Chip has been thinking about redoing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

David D. Davidson posted:

From what I heard Chip has been thinking about redoing it.

After watching most of it, I can see why. Chip seemed kinda terse with all the backtracking in the game, and one episode has no commentary at all.

I kinda hope he redoes that and does ZOE2 though, seems like a quick project that he and ironicus would enjoy.

• Locked thread