Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

And their demo is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Where in Chicago are you?

From the window of my office in the loop I have caught the Blue Angels, the Golden Knights (or the Navy parachute team, couldn't tell if the dark color was blue or black), and some other civilian stuff. I saw the F22 from the street right by the Chicago River on the north side of the loop while having a walk over lunch.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I took a wrong turn in the Badlands a week ago.

What's in this hole in the- Oh.

The other pictures were crap, so I won't post them. But if you're in the area it is worth a visit. You can do a self-guided audio tour by calling a number on your cell, which is pretty neat.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Someone's keeping a Mig-21 in a hanger at the airport in my city. I need to figure out who it is and what I need to do in order to crawl all over it and take pictures.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What I love is the mention of the 'software controlled arresting gear' being specialized for smaller aircraft.

"Here at Newport News Shipbuilding, we pride ourselves in avoiding mistakes, but if that doesn't pan out, we enjoy finding out how to *monetize* them, like any good defense contractor-owned entity. So we built a Nimitz-sized ship that will likely end up eventually being nothing but a drone carrier, since the EMALS and new-mousetrap-for-no-reason arrestor wire system will probably take the better part of a decade to get right. Also, might we add that swimming in your twelve billion dollars and counting feels ~really~ nice, especially since you believed our lie about the initial nine billion dollar price tag."

I was driving back from business down in Norfolk this past Wednesday, and had the reason when driving back to go via the more northern bridge/tunnel out of the area, half-hoping to see the Ford out on the water or at least semi-visible, but I could only partly see the conning tower.

I'm still trying to figure out what feature of the Ford are supposed to give a 25% increase in sortie generation rate. Anyone?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what feature of the Ford are supposed to give a 25% increase in sortie generation rate. Anyone?

Based on that infographic, maybe deck space and the ammunition loading setup. :shrug:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Didn't we have this conversation in GiP and most of it (theoretically) came from the rearranged elevators?

Fake edit: one source says it's rearranged flight deck / elevators while another one says it's "easier to refuel / rearm on the flight deck". There's also a few different % numbers out there about just how many more sorties the gain's supposed to be, but obviously if it lets you have one or two CVNs in area instead of two or three that has to be a big jump.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

The only thing I can think of is a hidden 5th catapult that shoots planes directly out of the hangar bay.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Didn't we have this conversation in GiP and most of it (theoretically) came from the rearranged elevators?

Fake edit: one source says it's rearranged flight deck / elevators while another one says it's "easier to refuel / rearm on the flight deck". There's also a few different % numbers out there about just how many more sorties the gain's supposed to be, but obviously if it lets you have one or two CVNs in area instead of two or three that has to be a big jump.

I guess I'll have to do some research on my own but I just don't see how that helps much.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The only thing I can think of is a hidden 5th catapult that shoots planes directly out of the hangar bay.

You joke but if I remember correctly this idea was given some serious consideration early in the development of the Ford. Course that could be just me hoping it was true.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The new catapults are based on a Gatling gun concept.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I guess I'll have to do some research on my own but I just don't see how that helps much.

You joke but if I remember correctly this idea was given some serious consideration early in the development of the Ford. Course that could be just me hoping it was true.

EMALs + no loadout limits on the 4th cat + deck rearrangements to enhance flow + better weapon elevators.

quote:

Moving the island creates deck space for a centralized rearming and refueling location. This reduces the number of times that an aircraft will have to be moved after landing before it can be launched again. Fewer aircraft movements require, in turn, fewer deck hands to accomplish them, reducing the size of the ship's crew. A similar benefit is realized by altering the path and procedures for weapons movement by redshirts from storage to flight deck, again potentially allowing the new ship to support a higher sortie rate than the Nimitz-class ship while using fewer crew members than the Nimitz requires. On Nimitz-class carriers the time that it takes to launch a plane after it has landed is set by the time needed to rearm and refuel it. To minimize this time, ordnance will be moved from storage areas to the centralized rearming location via relocated, higher capacity weapons elevators, utilizing linear motors.[21] The new path that ordnance follows does not cross any areas of aircraft movement, thereby reducing traffic problems in the hangars and on the flight deck.

quote:

Catapult number four on the Nimitz-class cannot launch fully loaded aircraft because of a deficiency of wing clearance along the edge of the flight deck.

wkarma fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 17, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Maybe it'll be relegated to using F/A-18's while all the others are using F-35's :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Deck space, better armament management, and the EMALS system...if/when they get it to work. I don't know how much quicker an EMALS can recharge and fire as opposed to a steam catapult. The AAG gear could theoretically increase sortie rate as the entire reason for its existence is it's supposed to reduce stress on planes from trapping (and less stress on the ~pwecious~ F-35C's airframe), which means less planes/UCAVs laid up in the hangar bay during deployment.

It's almost definitely a bullshit/unverifiable figure some wonk at Northrop-Grumman thought up, since saying anything more than 25% might actually raise some eyebrows.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 17, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How many operations in, say, the last forty years have required two carrier groups at once in the same area?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Cat Mattress posted:

How many operations in, say, the last forty years have required two carrier groups at once in the same area?

Yankee Station off Vietnam
Desert Storm/Desert Shield
OEF 1.0
OIF 1.0

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Yankee Station off Vietnam
Desert Storm/Desert Shield
OEF 1.0
OIF 1.0

Also numerous periods over that timeframe in the Gulf and some in Westpac where "increased tensions" led to CSGs overlapping their deployments...the outgoing one would get extended by a few months and/or the incoming one would surge early.

And El Dorado Canyon involved three CVBGs.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
So I've been complaining about not getting pictures of heavy bombers, but then there's this:

That's 12-year-old me with a bomber crew there should be a movie of, around the time the Berlin Wall fell.

I think that ship got shot down in Desert Storm, or maybe just went to the guillotine for START II, either way, I'm pretty sure it's gone.

Edit: there's a list of all the B-52s, and 2590 apparently served in Desert Storm but survived, no fate listed.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 17, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You joke but the 1930s Yorktowns actually had these.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

A couple of British carriers had a short flight deck mounted in front of the hangar for launching slow flying aircraft. Lexington had a fly-wheel powered catapult for launching sea planes until 1935 or so.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 17, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The USS Hornet (the second one, preserved outside Oakland) had a lower deck catapult as well. IIRC it fired perpendicular to the direction the ship was facing, which made it kind of difficult to actually use.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Delivery McGee posted:

So I've been complaining about not getting pictures of heavy bombers, but then there's this:

That's 12-year-old me with a bomber crew there should be a movie of, around the time the Berlin Wall fell.

I think that ship got shot down in Desert Storm, or maybe just went to the guillotine for START II, either way, I'm pretty sure it's gone.

Edit: there's a list of all the B-52s, and 2590 apparently served in Desert Storm but survived, no fate listed.

No BUFFs were lost in Desert Storm, but 2590 was a -G model so it got its wings clipped during START I and is now soda cans.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I would love to have a picture hung in my office with bear intercepts over the years. Showing the evolution of U.S. interceptors and the bears remaining relatively unchanged.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

_firehawk posted:

I would love to have a picture hung in my office with bear intercepts over the years. Showing the evolution of U.S. interceptors and the bears remaining relatively unchanged.

And title it "Pencil vs. Space Pen."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Fragile fire hazard vs expensive technological innovation.

Yeah, that works.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Bears. Bears never change.

More twink-on-bear action here: http://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/intercepting-the-bear/

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Godholio posted:

Fragile fire hazard vs expensive technological innovation.

Yeah, that works.

Which is which?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They should stop intercepting them with cool stuff and just send up crop dusters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sjurygg posted:

More twink-on-bear action here: http://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/intercepting-the-bear/

Those were really cool missions. I always enjoyed flying them. Some of the most worthwhile work that I've ever done.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

LingcodKilla posted:

They should stop intercepting them with cool stuff and just send up crop dusters.

I was going to make a joke about sending up WW2 fighters to intercept it, but it's slightly faster than an Me-262.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

wdarkk posted:

I was going to make a joke about sending up WW2 fighters to intercept it, but it's slightly faster than an Me-262.

It's (just) slower than an Me-163.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The Gloster Meteor could do it though. So can the P-80.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sjurygg posted:

Some of these intercepts are rather odd. Not that I`m complaining; it just got me curious as to what the story was behind it.

VC-10 intercepts Bear
Italian Starfighter intercepts An-22 :wtc:
Eurofighter intercepts An-72
F-14 intercepts Il-76
Skyhawk intercepts Be-6 flying boat
P-3 Orion intercepts Bear
F-14 intercepts An-12
Norwegian F-16 intercepts a Tu-160

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 18, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I'm guessing they just sent whatever's available. Not so much "hey, we could shoot you down if we wanted" as "hey, we see you."

Plus it makes for more variety in the pictures.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I didn't see the one where a Harrier intercepted a Bear, that may be my favorite.

[edit] found it.

Also the A-6.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So what's the odds that any of those Bears are actually armed?

Also, I kind of want to see them just ignore one just to gently caress with the Russians.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

I'm guessing they just sent whatever's available. Not so much "hey, we could shoot you down if we wanted" as "hey, we see you."

Plus it makes for more variety in the pictures.

We were working around the boat in our trusty EA-6B while in the Indian Ocean. We get a call from the ship telling us they had a non-squawker and gave us an intercept vector. The pilot and I looked at each other and sort of shrugged our shoulders. I called them back and said "Strike, 503, you know we're a Prowler, right?" They said yes but they didn't have anyone else available. So off we went to rid our airspace of this unknown contact. Turns out to be a Pakastani Atlantique. We lived to fight another day.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Can the EA-6 even do air-to-air?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Flash the high beams! Blast them with so much EMF their nuts fall off

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Outside of kamikaze attacks, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

StandardVC10 posted:

You can fly it into something if that's what you mean.