Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Throb Robinson posted:

No worries man. Short answer is basically I like it like that. I can totally tone it down but I like how filthy they are.

I checked your previous post and a lot of your marines have a more tasteful amount on them. I would just try and keep it on the bottom halves of models - when you've got the mud up in people's helmets and iconography you're breaking up the visual identifiability of the model. For instance, when I'm looking at your walkers my eye has no place to rest, and i'm not able to separate the structure from the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

drgnvale posted:

That's some great advice for dealing with necrons, but I thought he was asking about how to get good ebay deals. Someone post that instead.

I wouldn't entire discount the possibility that I am confused and/or stupid.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fix posted:

Deathstrike missiles are a bluff. You use them for the theatrics, convincing your opponent to come after them first rather than your better units. Your reward for doing this is the seldom round of absolute awesomeness.

Mine once wiped out a 10 man Plague Marine squad, would've gotten the Chaos Lord leading them too but he passed his 5+ invul.

I'm glad they made them much more likely to fire in the new codex.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh, totally. They're so much better now, which is to say that they're still pretty bad except for taking care of those corner cases like plague marines.

My current fun list includes two of them sitting behind the Aquilla Vortex Strongpoint. Missiles raining all day long. (I have never won a game with it).

In my last game I managed to take out an Achilles Land Raider when the vortex scattered from the back corner to the front of it, but couldn't wipe out a marine scout squad because they were standing in some trees. Vortex missiles are so random and pretty weak, all things considered. You'd want them to eat up the tough characters, where Strength D would make a difference, but then there's that whole 2+ Look Out Sir thing, or area terrain, or what have you. Usually they just scatter onto my own stuff, off the board, into an open field, or just vanish altogether.

Fix fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 17, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

I wouldn't entire discount the possibility that I am confused and/or stupid.

Confused, maybe, but not stupid. That's still some great advice.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Postin' a couple of shots from a game yesterday. TheChirurgeon and I in a 2v2, my Dark Angels and his White Panthers against a bromance tag team of Space Wolves:

The table owns really hard.

I also picked up the Ork half of two Stormclaw sets, so I guess I do Orks now.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fix posted:

but then there's that whole 2+ Look Out Sir thing

LOOK OUT SIR! *leaps into hellportal*

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ghetto wormhole posted:

LOOK OUT SIR! *leaps into hellportal*

My best day was when Lysander failed. Buncha Fists just standing around shrugging their shoulders.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
I don't think the rulebook specifies, but is there a limit on the number of times a character can get a Look Out, Sir? I'm new to the game and in the last game I played, an IG character was out in front against a full barrage of my GK terminators firing storm bolters and he managed to avoid every incoming wound as a half-dozen dudes leaped in the way.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Nope. As long as he keeps making 2+ LoS rolls, those jerks get in line to get shot.

There's a range limit on who can do it, too. 6" of the independent character, I think.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
As far as I know, you can LoS as many times as you have other models in the unit, starting with the closest ones and then moving on outward. I think there may be a 6 inches range limit but I'm not sure it's still the case in 7th.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I always imagine it as the sergeant being dragged to the ground by the nearest guy before everyone behind him standing gets pasted by whatever is shooting at them. If he fails a roll it's because the volume of fire means even going prone isn't safe.

Forging the gently caress out of that narrative.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I hate look out sir. Especially with independent characters.

There's a guy at my FLGS that runs a squad with Coteaz (T3), Brother Corbulo (T4), Draigo (T5) and Mephiston (T6). If Mephiston gets Iron Arm, which he usually does, shooting at the squad counts as T9, since they're all different and it goes to the highest on a tie. If the shot is strength 7 or less, he look out sirs all wounds to Corbulo, who feel no pains it away on a 2+. S8 or S9, he puts it on Draigo for an invuln. T10 it goes on Mephiston. With Psychic Power shenanigans it's almost impossible to kill that squad. Basically, I just ignore the squad and try to kill everything else on the field.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No one wouldn't happen to know of any decent cheap WW2 US tank kits that one could use as count as Leman Russes would they?
Specifically something that isn't insanely fiddley to build so I can build a couple of them without going crazy.
Was overcome with a bout of boredom earlier and decided to trawl google for some interesting options but barely found anything that I hadn't already seen, like the Battle dog and Pug one, sadly enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cooked Auto posted:

No one wouldn't happen to know of any decent cheap WW2 US tank kits that one could use as count as Leman Russes would they?
Specifically something that isn't insanely fiddley to build so I can build a couple of them without going crazy.
Was overcome with a bout of boredom earlier and decided to trawl google for some interesting options but barely found anything that I hadn't already seen, like the Battle dog and Pug one, sadly enough.

Take a look at bolt action stuff.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Take a look at bolt action stuff.

Does their stuff actually mesh in that well with 40k scale? I was looking at some of it but wasn't really sure how well it would scale without standing out like a sore thumb.
Which technically everything that isn't GW does anyway but still.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cooked Auto posted:

Does their stuff actually mesh in that well with 40k scale? I was looking at some of it but wasn't really sure how well it would scale without standing out like a sore thumb.

Ask lumbering troll to place some 40k side by side with the bolt action stuff and take a picture. He just posted his German and America n army today in the painting thread.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Master Twig posted:

I hate look out sir. Especially with independent characters.

There's a guy at my FLGS that runs a squad with Coteaz (T3), Brother Corbulo (T4), Draigo (T5) and Mephiston (T6). If Mephiston gets Iron Arm, which he usually does, shooting at the squad counts as T9, since they're all different and it goes to the highest on a tie. If the shot is strength 7 or less, he look out sirs all wounds to Corbulo, who feel no pains it away on a 2+. S8 or S9, he puts it on Draigo for an invuln. T10 it goes on Mephiston. With Psychic Power shenanigans it's almost impossible to kill that squad. Basically, I just ignore the squad and try to kill everything else on the field.

First, don't play that guy. Don't even talk to him or make eye contact. He is dead to you.

But, I think that's cheating: ICs joining each other and LoSir-ing onto each other I'm unsure about, but I'm 99% sure you cannot attach ICs to a unit that always consists of 1 model, ie Mephiston (he isn't an IC himself). Does anyone who's more current know anything about this?

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
^^Edit: 6th Ed had the rule about an IC not being able to join a unit that always consists of a single model, but I can't find it in 7th Ed any more.

As Mephiston is not an IC, he would only get LOS on a 4+ if you're shooting at him (unless there's something special in the BA codex that says otherwise)

Also the LOS wound must be allocated to the closest model from the target model, so the only way he gets to pick and choose like that is if they are all in base-to-base with each other.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

First, don't play that guy. Don't even talk to him or make eye contact. He is dead to you.

But, I think that's cheating: ICs joining each other and LoSir-ing onto each other I'm unsure about, but I'm 99% sure you cannot attach ICs to a unit that always consists of 1 model, ie Mephiston (he isn't an IC himself). Does anyone who's more current know anything about this?

I'm pretty sure it is legal because they changed the verbiage of the rule in order to do what it was supposed to originally do (I assume). It used to be "ICs can't join Vehicle Squads and units that are always one model" but then there were issues with how that was worded and units like Carnifex Broods and Riptides (that technically aren't ALWAYS single model units) so now it's "ICs can't join Vehicle Squads or MCs" which means ICs can attach to other ICs and to single Character units. It really shouldn't work that way but that's the rules for ya.

Deanut Pancer posted:

Also the LOS wound must be allocated to the closest model from the target model, so the only way he gets to pick and choose like that is if they are all in base-to-base with each other.

That's not too hard to do, Mephiston goes in the front, Corbulo and Draigo right behind him and then Cotez behind both of them, making a diamond formation; they don't even need to be in B2B contact, as long as Corbulo and Draigo are equidistant from Mephiston.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 18, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

He does the diamond formation, yes. Usually Draigo is out front since there's very little that can instantly kill him, and he can pass wounds on a 2+ no problem. Most wounds he passes on to Corbulo for the 3+/2+. Oh yeah, he also runs a Knight with this squad sometimes.

The best thing I ever saw happen to him was a couple weeks ago when a Shokk Attack gun hit the squad and rolled double sixes, then rolled a six again on the wounds. Wiped the squad. Orks da best.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Twig, does he fish for Invisibility with the squad too? That'd make it even more obnoxious to get rid of, but even abusing Sanctuary for a 2++ on Draigo is pretty mean.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Master Twig posted:

Well, a couple things you can do here: for one, that unit is 700pts. That's half or a third of his army right there, and it's moving 6" per turn. Just... walk away from it. If he wants his invulnerable ball of fury, let him have it- but don't give it anything to chew on. Okay, sure, maybe a Rhino- watching two or three of the hardest-hitting characters in 40K venting their impotent rage on a hunk of inanimate metal has got to be worth 35pts, for humor value if nothing else. Drive it up in his face and keep him from getting anywhere with it and you've essentially bought yourself a free turn where that 700pts accomplishes nothing.

If you do have to kill it (and generally you do, eventually) Snipers can be a great tool because they don't care about Toughness and you can often Precision them onto models he doesn't want them on. He also is limited by the physical positioning of the models- with more maneuverable units, you can often get onto a "weak" side and hit him there. Coteaz is especially vulnerable to this due to his T3, but the reality is that even the toughest units will roll 1s eventually, either for LOS! or saves. I would focus on taking out Corbulo/Coteaz first to deny him easy places to "pawn" wounds to, and remember that neither of those characters have an invulnerable save natively- psychic powers can help, obviously, but that's never a guarantee. If you have psykers of your own, focus on shutting down his key powers (Iron Arm, Forewarning) and you'll be in a pretty good place.

Really, though, you fight that unit the way you fight every deathstar, by attacking the rest of his army first. When you can focus literally everything you have on those four models, they start to look a lot less impressive. ("Which one objective would you like to take? Because I'm going to be on the other four.") And, due to the way the squad interacts, if he breaks off essentially any of them from the unit, they are suddenly ten times easier to kill, just like any IC sitting on their own.

Genghis Cohen posted:

As of 7th Edition, ICs can join any unit that doesn't contain a Monstrous Creature or vehicle, so it's legal. Silly, but legal.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Twig, does he fish for Invisibility with the squad too? That'd make it even more obnoxious to get rid of, but even abusing Sanctuary for a 2++ on Draigo is pretty mean.

Of course he does! Though he used Sanctuary against me last time I played him.

Thing is, he's not that good of a player, so despite the cheese, I usually beat him.

Edit: Doing exactly what the guy above me said to do.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That makes the Iron Hands' fabled brother Smashfucker sound a lot more tame. Perhaps you should start by introducing the tournament rules for detachments in your meta, one primary and one other. Watch him squirm as he has to make a choice between Draigo, Coteaz and an IK.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So once I get deep enough into this game and over space marines, I'm attracted to transitioning to eldar. DO they have any special chapters or factions or are they all the same and it's a matter of painting them whatever you want? Because I want blue eldar.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Star Man posted:

So once I get deep enough into this game and over space marines, I'm attracted to transitioning to eldar. DO they have any special chapters or factions or are they all the same and it's a matter of painting them whatever you want? Because I want blue eldar.

There isn't a major craftworld with blue as a primary colour (Iyanden come close, predominantly yellow with blue as a secondary) but when it comes to plastic space elves you can really get away with painting them any colour and they'd still look good, provided you don't make them too busy with different colours.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HiveCommander posted:

There isn't a major craftworld with blue as a primary colour (Iyanden come close, predominantly yellow with blue as a secondary) but when it comes to plastic space elves you can really get away with painting them any colour and they'd still look good, provided you don't make them too busy with different colours.

Okay. I only went with Salamanders because I wanted my marines to be green. The worship of dragons and fire and poo poo was completely secondary.

The Iyanden colors would probably make those space elves look like they're protoss. Which I'm fine with because I play protoss in SC2, but I'd rather have a nice looking army that's blue and black.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Postin' a couple of shots from a game yesterday. TheChirurgeon and I in a 2v2, my Dark Angels and his White Panthers against a bromance tag team of Space Wolves:

The table owns really hard.

I also picked up the Ork half of two Stormclaw sets, so I guess I do Orks now.

Nice! I also got some shots from the first game. Most of them came out like dog poo poo, but the shake reduction filter in photoshop was able to salvage a few of them.

The table, pre-game:

The action, during the game:

The mission we played was "The Relic," and ANAmal.net and I wrecked house despite some poor armor pen rolls in the first turn of the game. Bjorn was taken out by a meltagun in the building in the center, while my Vindicator made easy work of several squads. My assault squad mostly hung back until it was time to snag the relic, and that's when they dropped into the building. Meanwhile, ANAmal's Deathwing dropped in and took care of a potentially problematic squad of Wolf Guard Terminators. All in all, A Good Win.

I'm really proud of the table but now I need to finish more scenery so we can make the battlefield a little more varied from game to game. Next up: Skyshield Landing pad and a few more buildings.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

Alaitoc is mostly blue with yellow helmets.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's definitely blue Eldar. Alaitoc's scheme is mostly blue with a yellow helmet and their main gimmick is a bunch of rangers. Or was. They don't have special rules like that anymore, only Iyanden has gotten a supplement so far.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Star Man posted:

Mymeara are more a turquoise color, but that's close enough to being a 'blue' craftworld.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Star Man posted:

Okay. I only went with Salamanders because I wanted my marines to be green. The worship of dragons and fire and poo poo was completely secondary.

The Iyanden colors would probably make those space elves look like they're protoss. Which I'm fine with because I play protoss in SC2, but I'd rather have a nice looking army that's blue and black.
At the end of the day, they're your models so there's nothing stopping you from painting however you want. There's so many Eldar craftworlds out there that you could always come up with an Eldar-ish name that you like and say that blue/black is the colour of Aian-tar or whatever tickles your fancy. There aren't too many factions in 40k where people will sperg out because the models aren't painted a certain way so whatever you like the look of works.

Cataphract posted:

Alaitoc is mostly blue with yellow helmets.
I forgot about them! I don't see much Eldar around here so I sometimes forget the craftworlds that aren't Iyanden, Biel-tan, Ultheway and Saim-Hann

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Slimnoid posted:

Mymeara are more a turquoise color, but that's close enough to being a 'blue' craftworld.

Teal and turquoise are good enough for me. I'm not crazy about fluff, but if there's a group that wears a color that I want, then I'll roll with it if I go that way.

HiveCommander posted:

At the end of the day, they're your models so there's nothing stopping you from painting however you want. There's so many Eldar craftworlds out there that you could always come up with an Eldar-ish name that you like and say that blue/black is the colour of Aian-tar or whatever tickles your fancy. There aren't too many factions in 40k where people will sperg out because the models aren't painted a certain way so whatever you like the look of works.

Yeah. I'm looking at pictures online to see what it would look like and I came to the realization that they might look like dark eldar. I dunno, I'll worry about it in the future when I get there.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah if you're xenos you can pretty much just paint anything however you want to.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If Eldar get another supplement, I expect it to be Biel-Tan based on the number of mentions in both the Iyanden and normal codex. My next bet would be on Saim-Hann

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can see them releasing Biel-Tan if they ever get around to revamping the aspect warriors just to give people a reason to buy the new models, but since they're going on 20 years now I wouldn't expect anything soon. Saim-Hann got baked into the vanilla rules, same as Alaitoc for the most part. Though I can see an Alaitoc sniper formation giving a disruption table.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dooo it

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

how many codices don't have skyfire? is this a common thing, or is it really just the handful of old codices? I assume GK are getting some if they don't already.

is there a reason they didn't errata skyfire into the old codices like dark eldar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Fliers have skyfire. So GK and DE have had it all along since their select skimmers are now fliers.

• Locked thread