Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Nahxela posted:

Much like your Dark Souls 2 skills, hey-o

See me in MH4U i'll beat you...at killing the monsters really fast!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Safety Scissors posted:

What's up with the character name creator? I can't make a new character because I can't get a name that will be accepted. Even if I try just random characters it's a no go. I tried a few dozen combinations but no luck. What's worse is you can't exit of the game while you're picking your name, so you have to go to task manager ans shut the game down that way.

You might have accidentally hit a modifier like ¨ or ´ which means the next character (potentially) is a non-acceptable character like ö or é. I think I had that happen to me before, and I had to exit the game, open a text editor (or any place you can enter text) and type in another character to get the modifier to go away.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Alabaster White posted:

Did you miss the part where I said a blue phantom who wasn't Rank 2 and wasn't on NG++ somehow had multiple casts of Wrath of the Gods? You know, the spell you can only get at Rank 2 in the Blue Sentinels or on NG++??

Well no I posted it a minute after yours and hadn't read it but I'm still going to say I'm right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How many extra casts would the Northern Ritual Band +2 grant? The miracle by itself plus the Saint's Hood and 43 ATT would give you three casts. If the ring gives you two it is technically possible to have five in NG without crazy stat investment. Your health would be poo poo, though.

By NG++ you could get another copy of the miracle, and at like 99 ATT you would get another cast. :v:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Why would DS2 not support Steam Cloud synchronization? Even the first one does.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Hail to the King, baby.

I have loving finally beaten a Souls game. I feel badass. The game is really A++ quality, but there's a few things I could nitpick: namely, it feels like the whole game sort of falls apart after you get the King's Ring. I really could have used a jump into Vendrick's memories or something to make the jump from "find the evil king" to "just kidding the king was good and his wife and brother were evil. Also you can go to the final boss area now but you can't actually FIGHT the final boss until you go into this one specific giant's memories and kill a boss." That was annoying and felt really aimless. Still, I'm looking forward to beating it on NG+ and maybe trying my hand at a SL1 + CoC run.

ninja edit: I did like that at the very end of the game the narrator tells you it's your choice whether to take over the throne or not, then just goes whoops we were kidding haha you're the monarch now. Somehow that just felt like a very Dark Souls-appropriate way to end things.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Popular Human posted:

Hail to the King, baby.

I have loving finally beaten a Souls game. I feel badass. The game is really A++ quality, but there's a few things I could nitpick: namely, it feels like the whole game sort of falls apart after you get the King's Ring. I really could have used a jump into Vendrick's memories or something to make the jump from "find the evil king" to "just kidding the king was good and his wife and brother were evil. Also you can go to the final boss area now but you can't actually FIGHT the final boss until you go into this one specific giant's memories and kill a boss." That was annoying and felt really aimless. Still, I'm looking forward to beating it on NG+ and maybe trying my hand at a SL1 + CoC run.

ninja edit: I did like that at the very end of the game the narrator tells you it's your choice whether to take over the throne or not, then just goes whoops we were kidding haha you're the monarch now. Somehow that just felt like a very Dark Souls-appropriate way to end things.

You can actually access Vendrick's memories via his clothes and the Ashen Mist Heart, now. Forget if it's something you can always do or if you have to have beaten the DLC.

I wouldn't say Vendrick or Aldia are straight up good or evil, so much as men trying anything they could think of, no matter how dubious, to go against fate and make a cure for the curse.

Tho you can go to the Throne of Want as soon as you get the King's Ring, you're not really supposed to. The Emerald Herald tells you you need to go east to Aldia's Keep. Though to be fair it's not exactly clear Aldia's is in the east.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Popular Human posted:

A player can choose to not become the monarch, they simply have to not play the game. By the game's end, it becomes clear that there is no cure for the Undead curse, the original motivation for the player character's coming to Drangleic. Once the Giant's Kinship is obtained, no one else can get access to the Throne of Want and abuse its ambiguous powers, so the player could just log out in Majula and never resume playing (or come back just to chat with the sick-nasty talking cat).

Similarly, if a player finds the game too frustrating, they can give up and presumably become Hollow. One of my favorite things about the DS series is that it considers inaction as a valid roleplaying decision.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Just had something weird happen when I got invaded in the DLC. I was in the area leading up to the fight with the queen (before the dragon) where it's a big vertical section that you have to continually jump down. Someone invades me at the top and just jumps directly down to the bottom, taking no damage. He then somehow goes through the fog door to the boss arena. I'm confused at that point but continue on, and about a minute later I am suddenly teleported to the boss arena and am backstabbed by the invader, but take no damage. The teleport is jarring, as if I was lagging and just caught up all of a sudden. We fight and I kill him. What happened here?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been replaying the PC version to prepare for the DLC

You know I was initially pretty disappointed with DS2, but after the second playthrough I like it a lot more. Like DS1 I think it has a few areas that are truly awful, but the overall pace is just so well-tuned, and when I wasn't playing I found myself constantly thinking about playing it. It has a lot of faults, but I definitely think the core gameplay essence is intact and incredible. The DLC rules too.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Forget if it's something you can always do or if you have to have beaten the DLC.

You can do it as soon as you have the Ashen Mist Heart, but only if you have the DLC installed, otherwise the lights around Vendrick's clothes still appear but there's no interaction prompt.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I subjected myself to some dark souls 2 pvp and quickly discovered why people hack.

Its preferable to the alternative of finding these losers sneaking into their houses at night and giving them a blanket party.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

It has a lot of faults, but I definitely think the core gameplay essence is intact and incredible.

The gameplay (and framerate) is so much smoother and better in 2 it's mindblowing trying to replay 1. It isn't just Blighttown that the framerate takes a poo poo at and dies in DS1. Areas like the top of the Undead Parish with the whole ten hollows makes the 360 fall to its knees. The tradeoff is 1's level design and atmosphere is far and away better.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Nahxela posted:

If you're really scared, you can always fall back to poison arrows. At the very least, trying to pull one enemy at a time is helpful. Otherwise, it's just being proficient at dodging, and being able to land backstabs/parries will also help a ton. Barring that and depending on your stats, you can opt to use one of the weapons with a special R2, like the Curved GS, and use it to knock Havel et al into pits.

I went and got Curved Dragon Great Sword then respeced for some extra strength. This thing is a blast, I cleared all the chasms without much trouble and gave the dark lurker one attempt.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is there a full summary of the story people think is good?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The complete set of DLCs is supposed to illuminate more about the story, so it would be hard to have it complete right now. For example, the first DLC already confirmed that Vendrick made it all the way to the Crypt while still conscious/aware, rather than leaving his soul in Amana and ordering Velstadt to take his body to the Crypt or whatever sort of interpretation you want for that. Either that or it confirms that Vendrick got so pro at making golems that he made a very convincing one of himself that only deteriorated after many years.

Or something.

:darksouls:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I really feel like they're going to go all out with the base game after you get the three crowns and do some kinda crazy rear end special boss you can fight only if you have all of 'em.

Like 'full power human Vendrick' or some poo poo I dunno

There's no reason to have that flashback stuff otherwise, right?

The "You feel a warmth from the crown" certainly seems to suggest something involving humanity anyhow.

Also I am totally calling it now: The last DLC (the snowy area) is going to have it's teleporter at the Shrine of Winter.

It makes sense!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RBA Starblade posted:

The gameplay (and framerate) is so much smoother and better in 2 it's mindblowing trying to replay 1. It isn't just Blighttown that the framerate takes a poo poo at and dies in DS1. Areas like the top of the Undead Parish with the whole ten hollows makes the 360 fall to its knees. The tradeoff is 1's level design and atmosphere is far and away better.

I'm playing 1 right now because I logged in so many hours into 2, but it's just so painful to go through Blighttown and basically anything with particles and in my 2nd run I'm already dreading areas like Seath and Tomb of Giants again. Shrine of Amana is basically a cakewalk compared to those kinds of tedious bullshit.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Tae posted:

I'm playing 1 right now because I logged in so many hours into 2, but it's just so painful to go through Blighttown and basically anything with particles and in my 2nd run I'm already dreading areas like Seath and Tomb of Giants again. Shrine of Amana is basically a cakewalk compared to those kinds of tedious bullshit.

Not really. Assuming you're talking about the Crystal Caves when you say "Seath" you can literally just run past every enemy. Unlike the anime shrine, where doing so will aggro all enemies and get you killed immediately. Tomb of the Giants is the same way, after you play it once or twice you should be able to run through without needing a torch or anything. Not sure what you meant with the particles comment but if you can run DS2 normally you should be able to use DSfix and all of those graphical issues pretty much disappear.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I use DSFix, but my computer isn't high-tech so it basically lags under 15 fps in blight town if I don't point the camera away from traffic. DS2 is just super optimized to work on a toaster oven in comparison.

I hate Crystal Caves and Tomb of Giants because they force severe visual limitations and have careful platforming poo poo that I hate most in the Souls series. Amana is whatever because the bleeder guys are easy to kill and the Archdukes can be killed behind cover after I pelt the Maidens.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I think I am half way through each of the different paths in the game, currently. I am sitting at 20 strength 20 dexterity, 22 faith, and 3 intelligence. I have been using the Fire long sword for ages and I have no real miracles of note. Any specific areas I should focus on to get some new stuff?

I was thinking of looking into the bow or scythe of want, but I am not really married to that idea. Anything but this long sword really. The other weapons I have found are pretty vanilla.

edit: Also, if anyone has any ideas or build examples of where I might go from here, that would be helpful.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 18, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

I use DSFix, but my computer isn't high-tech so it basically lags under 15 fps in blight town if I don't point the camera away from traffic. DS2 is just super optimized to work on a toaster oven in comparison.

Did you lower the settings? DSfix comes preconfigured with poo poo like higher DoF and anti-aliasing and poo poo that you'd probably want to disable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Did you lower the settings? DSfix comes preconfigured with poo poo like higher DoF and anti-aliasing and poo poo that you'd probably want to disable.

It's at the lowest possible settings, my CPU is really old. Which, once again, is amazing at how optimized that DS2 is that I can run it at 60 FPS no problem.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fereydun posted:

I really feel like they're going to go all out with the base game after you get the three crowns and do some kinda crazy rear end special boss you can fight only if you have all of 'em.

Like 'full power human Vendrick' or some poo poo I dunno

There's no reason to have that flashback stuff otherwise, right?

The "You feel a warmth from the crown" certainly seems to suggest something involving humanity anyhow.

Also I am totally calling it now: The last DLC (the snowy area) is going to have it's teleporter at the Shrine of Winter.

It makes sense!

They can't have you fight human Vendrick, because then hollow Vendrick won't have been in the crypt when you got there the first time because you killed him.

I mean, I guess they could have you fight him and not actually win because he survives, but that'd be lame.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

They can't have you fight human Vendrick, because then hollow Vendrick won't have been in the crypt when you got there the first time because you killed him.

I mean, I guess they could have you fight him and not actually win because he survives, but that'd be lame.

He's Undead, he'll just respawn. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The player is the reason Vendrick has turned into a hollow. :ninja:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

CJacobs posted:

They pulled this same time-wimey bullshit with Artorias so I don't know why it can't happen here.

Also thinking about it more, you could just as easily be the one pursuing Vendrick into the Crypt to get his Crown, since apparently you're on a quest to unite them or whatever now. "Killing him" could just be hollowing him by taking his poo poo and then sneaking out the back door so BellHammer guy doesn't know you were there.

All of this is specious as gently caress, though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hikaki posted:

Just had something weird happen when I got invaded in the DLC. I was in the area leading up to the fight with the queen (before the dragon) where it's a big vertical section that you have to continually jump down. Someone invades me at the top and just jumps directly down to the bottom, taking no damage. He then somehow goes through the fog door to the boss arena. I'm confused at that point but continue on, and about a minute later I am suddenly teleported to the boss arena and am backstabbed by the invader, but take no damage. The teleport is jarring, as if I was lagging and just caught up all of a sudden. We fight and I kill him. What happened here?

It depends on what he did.

If he held his hand up and walked through the fog with the complete animation and the sound, then he figured out how to help people with bosses while invading. This would be a first for DS2 since usually the game sends an invader back if anybody walks through the fog properly. Did you actually see him walk through and hear the sound? Was the boss dead?

If, however, he just walked through the wall using noclip, then the boss would not activate and it's a lot less impressive.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 18, 2014

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!
I think I'd like this game a lot more if the controls weren't so loving terrible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nintendo65 posted:

I think I'd like this game a lot more if the controls weren't so loving terrible.

You have to hold the controller with the buttons facing upward to play this game, hope this helps.

edit: I mean really that could be the only issue I can think of, because the controls in this game are fluid and responsive in basically all situations (except for I guess ultra greatswords).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 18, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Tae posted:

Unlock FPS in DSFix settings, set fps cap @ 30, enjoy smooth stable framerates everywhere

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

You have to hold the controller with the buttons facing upward to play this game, hope this helps.

They're great, but they're also super unconventional for an action RPG. As someone who isn't used to controllers in the first place it took a while for me to get used to them.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Hakkesshu posted:

I've been replaying the PC version to prepare for the DLC

Where did you get the Predator mask?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Castor Poe posted:

Where did you get the Predator mask?

Grind the Mad Warrior in Sol.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

When starting my sorcerer run, I used powerstanced daggers as mostly a joke, but it actually was really fun. Is there any way to make that VIABLE? Any good builds for it?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Daynab posted:

They're great, but they're also super unconventional for an action RPG. As someone who isn't used to controllers in the first place it took a while for me to get used to them.

I started playing Witcher 2 and went through the trouble of XPadder remapping my controller to better resemble Souls-style controls. :anime:

Jade Mage posted:

When starting my sorcerer run, I used powerstanced daggers as mostly a joke, but it actually was really fun. Is there any way to make that VIABLE? Any good builds for it?

I'm pretty sure ROBflynn gives daggers a nice boost for normal play, so long as you still backstab everything that can be backstabbed. Using them to augment a sorcerer is even better, as you have discovered.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Tallgeese posted:

It depends on what he did.

If he held his hand up and walked through the fog with the complete animation and the sound, then he figured out how to help people with bosses while invading. This would be a first for DS2 since usually the game sends an invader back if anybody walks through the fog properly. Did you actually see him walk through and hear the sound? Was the boss dead?

If, however, he just walked through the wall using noclip, then the boss would not activate and it's a lot less impressive.

I guess he used noclip or something because he didn't do the animation, he just disappeared after walking up to the fog. The boss was dead anyway so I don't know if the boss would have activated or if he would have been able to help me. My surprise comes mostly from how he was able to teleport me like that though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Mundane with RoB or RoB+Flynn's with uninfused daggers is basically backstab city, and the non-backstab damage isn't terrible either when you're hitting as fast as daggers can hit. Consider a Parrying Dagger though, so you can parry people and stab them from the front as well.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hikaki posted:

I guess he used noclip or something because he didn't do the animation, he just disappeared after walking up to the fog. The boss was dead anyway so I don't know if the boss would have activated or if he would have been able to help me. My surprise comes mostly from how he was able to teleport me like that though.

Alas.

What he did was use an infinite-range wall-penetrating backstab to warp you into the room after he noclipped through. If you had went in normally, he would have been banished. I think his gimmick was that merely entering the room likely activates that particular boss (like Capra in DS1), so he would have been able to make some kind of makeshift double boss fight.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Most people will suggest Mundane, but unless you're absurdly over-leveled (high enough to have 50 as your lowest stat) you'll get better damage with minimal Vit and Flynn's Ring. Flynn;s Ring gives you more physical AR, up to 50 if your maximum equip load is at most 60. That plus Ring of Blades+2high str/dex will make your daggers quite powerful. If you do want to do powerstance stuff, I suggest Black Flamestone Dagger and Royal Dirk. They have more AR and are much longer, at the cost of having bad crits. If you want crits to, have a good dagger in the righthand and one of those two in the left.