Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just saying it's a plot heavy game and all the female character are apparently reprehensible, seems like that would make it hard to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This story does not portray a futuristic egalitarian utopia; therefore, this story is bad.

Senjuro posted:

The thing with the heels is that they're there solely to add sexiness at the cost of practicality. Foltest's impractical costume projects power and wealth. Between Ciri's cleavage, corset and heels, what does her costume project?
It's a dumb design trope that is far too common and it's a shame because it's so unnecessary and easily avoidable.

I looked really hard for cleavage (trust me) but I couldn't find any. Could you point it out to me?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

I'm just saying it's a plot heavy game and all the female character are apparently reprehensible, seems like that would make it hard to enjoy.

The good still outweighs the bad, massively. I'm pre-ordering The Witcher 3 and I would even pre-order Cyberpunk 2077 if I could. CDP is good at what they do but it doesn't mean they're perfect or that I can't criticize aspects of the game while enjoying the whole.

at the date posted:

I looked really hard for cleavage (trust me) but I couldn't find any. Could you point it out to me?

Perhaps boob window is a better term?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's no visible boob in that boob window.

Wait, I mean-God I can see her sternum. Her internalized misogyny has clearly prevented her from putting on a burka like a real woman would wear.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Personally speaking I've only played Witcher 2, and I played it through twice because the combat is a lot of fun when you get the hang of it and I really like the plot in general- it's a big quagmire of conflicting and secret schemes and motivations which I'm a fan of compared to something like Mass Effect where basically everything is entirely straightforward and upfront. I don't even mind the Lodge having a big plot to take over the northern kingdoms, because from interacting with them they'd probably do a better job than the actual kings. The visual design of basically every female character is just really jarring and takes me out of the game, and I was kind of hoping W3 would make some changes in that area.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Also the sorceresses are crazy amazingly beautiful because of magical manipulation and use their looks to their advantage. They're going to look crazy sexy because it's a sign of their power/wealth. Sorcerers are less into the vanity and more into pure power, though there are a few in the novels that are just as vain with their appearances.

As far as Ciri, for a good long while she was a member of a troop of thieves who were known for wearing the very best clothing. They all came from nothing and wanted the very best, so they thieved and got the very best.

I really hate how tropes are deemed bad or unusable sometimes. So, someone is a damsel in distress. Well that's lovely writing and misogynistic, etc. Well what if that's what's needed in the narrative? A character is a woman, so they can never be taken captive? To do stark generalizations of tropes, you fail to look at the narrative situation and just see the story as either bad or good due to the parts its made out of. Basically, don't generalize and take each case as their own.

In this instance, I don't really know. Triss is a powerful sorceress with some hangups (magical allergies) who probably really doesn't need saving. But at the same time, she can be a bit naive and trusting, leading her into some bad situations. And being "packaged" into a statue kinda renders one impossible to act. That's not a game created thing, it happens in the novels as well.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I really hate how tropes are deemed bad or unusable sometimes. So, someone is a damsel in distress. Well that's lovely writing and misogynistic, etc. Well what if that's what's needed in the narrative? A character is a woman, so they can never be taken captive? To do stark generalizations of tropes, you fail to look at the narrative situation and just see the story as either bad or good due to the parts its made out of. Basically, don't generalize and take each case as their own.

In this instance, I don't really know. Triss is a powerful sorceress with some hangups (magical allergies) who probably really doesn't need saving. But at the same time, she can be a bit naive and trusting, leading her into some bad situations. And being "packaged" into a statue kinda renders one impossible to act. That's not a game created thing, it happens in the novels as well.

I don't disagree. It's just that it's kinda lazy when half of your female ensemble are manipulative witches and the other half are damsels in distress. Saskia and Ves are built up as strong, powerful personalities only to be knocked down and become victims for dramatic effect. I'm not saying female characters should not be presented as victims, ever, but if they do they should have something more going on about them to justify that portrayal.

This is why I think Triss is a decent character regardless of her victim status in the plot. At the beginning and especially through the course of the first game, you are not entirely sure of her intentions. You only know that she's supposedly a big deal in Temerian politics and she has quite an interest on you but she also has some shady dealings with other sorceresses and she might be using you. And it is also acknowledged that Triss is not entirely honest when it comes your past, especially regarding Yennefer. But you eventually find out Triss is really in love with you and she risked her own neck to protect you. Her victim status is due to her own choices and that goes a long way to establish her agency in the story imo.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Also the sorceresses are crazy amazingly beautiful because of magical manipulation and use their looks to their advantage. They're going to look crazy sexy because it's a sign of their power/wealth. Sorcerers are less into the vanity and more into pure power, though there are a few in the novels that are just as vain with their appearances.

As far as Ciri, for a good long while she was a member of a troop of thieves who were known for wearing the very best clothing. They all came from nothing and wanted the very best, so they thieved and got the very best.

Tropes are tropes because they're overused. If the ideas that are overused are sexist or misogynistic and whatnot then what does it say about our media and culture? Even if you don't care about any of that then at the very least they should be avoided as much as possible simply because they're lazy and unoriginal writing.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 17, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Tropes are tropes because they're overused. If the ideas that are overused are sexist or misogynistic and whatnot then what does it say about our media and culture? Even if you don't care about any of that then at the very least they should be avoided as much as possible simply because they're lazy and unoriginal writing.

And I agree! They should be avoided simply because it is unoriginal. But, like with everything, they need to be looked at on a case by case basis. There are always exceptions to rules.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

I think Triss was a better character in the first game. Despite having to rescue her in the prologue and at various points being unsure of whether you could trust her, she was a strong, important character that you looked to for guidance and advice. In the second game, the most important thing she does is get kidnapped at the end of Act 1. You could argue that this served to show how dangerous Letho was, but that doesn't really work very well becuase Triss isn't shown as being particularly capable in The Witcher 2. She doesn't even help fight the Kayran, Sila does.

While I agree that Triss is a pretty good character overall, I think that if you look only at how she is depicted in The Witcher 2, some of that good characterization is lost. If you don't know what happened in the books (I don't) and you haven't played the first game, it might be pretty easy to assume that she is just a damsel in distress.

And I agree! They should be avoided simply because it is unoriginal. But, like with everything, they need to be looked at on a case by case basis. There are always exceptions to rules.

Yeah, but I don't think that any of the stuff (or much of it, anyway) in these games are those exceptions.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Shut up you goddamn nerds I want to talk about killing monsters.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Mass Effect gets all kinds of flak for sexism, but it also has latex-clad men in it, as well as some female characters who aren't designed to look titillating. Whereas in Witcher 2, here's a male and female mage:

That's how sorcery works in the Witcher world. Blame Sapkowksi.
I like it

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I believe there is a much bigger issue the thread needs to address.

Are there different beard styles?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BBJoey posted:

Shut up you goddamn nerds I want to talk about killing monsters.

I agree. If you guys want to argue semantics about misogyny and victims in stories take it to another forum. I was so excited to see that there were so many posts in this thread and all it was, was a couple of you arguing about clothing on video game characters and the roles of females characters in a videogame. If you have a problem with women being sexualized and being damsels in distress, I have to wonder if you ever see ads/commercials, TV shows or movies, haved played any other RPG game ever, or anything anywhere involving women or stories, because uh, I have news for you.

I believe there is a much bigger issue the thread needs to address.

Are there different beard styles?

I, for one, am excited that Geralt has a beard, but I am offended because I think a man being bearded is such an overused trope about rugged guys having beards. Its so unoriginal :rolleyes:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Keep in mind the stellar portrayal of male wizards is basically a morally bankrupt coward who is comically revealed to be an extremely effeminate homosexual.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Well, as long as sexism has completely pervaded every aspect of media entertainment I guess it's not a problem then.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

2house2fly posted:

Well, as long as sexism has completely pervaded every aspect of media entertainment I guess it's not a problem then.

I'm not saying it isnt a problem, I am saying I dont think this is the best place to discuss it at length. I think it is an issue that needs dialogue in society, but discussing it on the internet with goons in a thread about a videogame isnt going to change a drat thing. Especially if the sorceresses in the game this thread is about were written as magically-more attractive who are powerful and wealthy. Yeah boob windows and women all wearing tight pants and heels is kinda silly, but what modern RPG game doesnt have that?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The next posts better be about men. These are manly man games.

So is Geralt better with a ponytail or without it?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It probably wouldn't be so bad if you (in the general sense) just accepted that this game has problematic aspects but you still enjoy it. But like bending over backwards to defend some poo poo with really facile reasoning like "it's got story reasons" or "it's based on a lovely period/time/setting" is pretty mind boggling considering how this subject comes up all the loving time with regularity in just about every games thread ever.

I for one hope Witcher 3 re-adds the card collection.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm not saying it isnt a problem, I am saying I dont think this is the best place to discuss it at length. I think it is an issue that needs dialogue in society, but discussing it on the internet with goons in a thread about a videogame isnt going to change a drat thing. Especially if the sorceresses in the game this thread is about were written as magically-more attractive who are powerful and wealthy. Yeah boob windows and women all wearing tight pants and heels is kinda silly, but what modern RPG game doesnt have that?

The Witcher 2 is a great game with a deep and nuanced narrative for both it’s genre and medium. It was also an improvement on the original game in terms of narrative and pacing and arguably scope and characterisation of minor characters (Triss not withstanding.)

It would be nice if when we see a shot from the third game someone could mention their disappointment that the unarguably sexist female character designs have persisted without people jumping out of the woodwork to mention that other games have problems to or it doesn’t count because the characters getting their tits out are powerful or what have you.

If someone mentions that they’re finding the Witcher’s combat hard the responses are generally along the lines of “yep that bit/guy/tactic’s tough, try xyz.” Not “Well Dark Souls was tough too don’t just point the finger at CD Projekt Red!”

Like it or not misogyny and how we deal with it is an important part of our culture and works that strive to be as emotionally impactful and narratively deep as the Witcher are going to be analysed and discussed based both on their in text explorations and how their development team approaches world and character design.

The only reason, currently, that the Witcher 2 thread is not the best place to discuss the impact of gender on the narrative and design of the Witcher 2 and 3 is because whenever someone tries to have the discussion people get overly defensive and then suggest that if we’re not solving all sexism forever we shouldn’t even talk about the fact that it exists.

Sorceresses using their powers to look more attractive, and dressing proactively, is fine in a vacuum, decent world building, and faithful to the source material. Every non-sorceress character being a damsel in distress or sex object for the PC is another matter entirely. A few female characters doing something other than witching, whoring, and needing saving would go a long way and I hope that with the expanded environment of the third game we see a women characters of narrative importance who are neither needing to saved by Geralt nor manipulating him.

Edit: Witcher 1 chat: I liked the card with the milk maid on it. But I had to turn the game off for a bit after that elven lady he saves from gang rape rewards Geralt with sex. At least the second game didn't have anything quite that bad.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 18, 2014

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The next posts better be about men. These are manly man games.

So is Geralt better with a ponytail or without it?

He likes keeping his hair in a ponytail. If you mess with his hair, you have problems. And if his hair gets untied in battle, well, poo poo just got real.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I like the heels and boob windows.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

2house2fly posted:

Mass Effect gets all kinds of flak for sexism, but it also has latex-clad men in it, as well as some female characters who aren't designed to look titillating. Whereas in Witcher 2, here's a male and female mage:

Why is Saskia trying to kill Geralt at the end of the game? Does she want to?

Yeah if you want to blame someone for the sorcerer & sorceress looks it's Sapkowski, in the books there's a bit where he's describing them both at a party, half the sorceress' have their boobs out whereas the guys are all much more reserved. To the sorceress' in the books their looks are a tool like anything else, because they aren't natural - they were the girls who weren't going to be married off (Yennefer was a hunch back).

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I just hope that they bring back Ciri's ice skates. Oh, or they could upgrade her to roller blades.

Nilfgaaaariansssss come out and playyyayyyyyyyy.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Vilgefortz was young and very handsome, with imposing presence. Since magic users can shape their looks it may be that many males want to radiate aura of wisdom gathered by ages, while women prefer being seen as unnaturally beautiful. As saying goes "what's the difference between a sorceress and a witch? About 40 years"

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Cirofren posted:

The Witcher 2 is a great game with a deep and nuanced narrative for both it’s genre and medium. It was also an improvement on the original game in terms of narrative and pacing and arguably scope and characterisation of minor characters (Triss not withstanding.)

It would be nice if when we see a shot from the third game someone could mention their disappointment that the unarguably sexist female character designs have persisted without people jumping out of the woodwork to mention that other games have problems to or it doesn’t count because the characters getting their tits out are powerful or what have you.

If someone mentions that they’re finding the Witcher’s combat hard the responses are generally along the lines of “yep that bit/guy/tactic’s tough, try xyz.” Not “Well Dark Souls was tough too don’t just point the finger at CD Projekt Red!”

Like it or not misogyny and how we deal with it is an important part of our culture and works that strive to be as emotionally impactful and narratively deep as the Witcher are going to be analysed and discussed based both on their in text explorations and how their development team approaches world and character design.

The only reason, currently, that the Witcher 2 thread is not the best place to discuss the impact of gender on the narrative and design of the Witcher 2 and 3 is because whenever someone tries to have the discussion people get overly defensive and then suggest that if we’re not solving all sexism forever we shouldn’t even talk about the fact that it exists.

Sorceresses using their powers to look more attractive, and dressing proactively, is fine in a vacuum, decent world building, and faithful to the source material. Every non-sorceress character being a damsel in distress or sex object for the PC is another matter entirely. A few female characters doing something other than witching, whoring, and needing saving would go a long way and I hope that with the expanded environment of the third game we see a women characters of narrative importance who are neither needing to saved by Geralt nor manipulating him.

Edit: Witcher 1 chat: I liked the card with the milk maid on it. But I had to turn the game off for a bit after that elven lady he saves from gang rape rewards Geralt with sex. At least the second game didn't have anything quite that bad.

I wish the forums had a like button. I've had this conversation with people before, and the biggest stumbling block seems to be that one side of the argument really doesn't seem to want to acknowledge problems at all, no matter what pernicious or nasty thing you show them, they always have a 'but' and a blatant disregard for context.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

PureRok posted:

I like the heels and boob windows.

hosed up if true.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cirofren posted:

I dont think there was anything wrong with someone mentioning it, but one of the people that mentioned it was essentially throwing a fit and it generated a discussion that could be argued in circles with no reasonable conclusion for pages. I am speaking up about it because a thread about a videogame is a terrible place to discuss social issues because of the neckbeards that come out of the woodwork to argue their point who otherwise werent posting. There is an entire subforum for discussing social issues where people can post to their hearts content about it. It is one thing to make a post or two and it is another thing to argue with people about ones' very important opinion on the subject. I am sure I am not the only one who doesnt want to see nerds go back and forth about social issues we cant fix.

I have my opinions on misogyny and the tired storylines built into games, movies, and whatnot....but I do not go to the Games subforum on somethingawfuldotcom to argue with people about my opinion on said subjects. I do agree that it is kinda dumb that yes, pretty much every woman in the story ends up being a victim, a tool, or a sex object and would like to see that change, but I am not going to argue with anyone about it on the internet.

Cirofren posted:

Isnt there an elven chick in Vergen that wants to have sex with you for saving her from Loredo? (if you go Iorveth's path)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

Isnt there an elven chick in Vergen that wants to have sex with you for saving her from Loredo? (if you go Iorveth's path)

There is indeed, though Loredo just tried to burn her alive, not sexually assault her.

There is also another elf in Flotsam who the guards suspect of luring their colleagues into rebel ambushes with the promise of sex, and who they in turn want to punish on the spot in the predictable way. If you help her, she offers you sex as a reward, but instead leads you into a rebel ambush too if you're gullible enough to try and take her up on it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I apologize for posting the character guide, I had forgotten how triggered goons are by heels.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
I, for one, thought the conversation about sexism and themes and characters in The Witcher games was way more interesting than this conversation about whether or not we should be having the first conversation.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I think it's ridiculous that Geralt(who appears shirtless many times) and is considered to be a great fighter but has long white hair. Which is the opposite of helpful in a fight as it both makes it easier to spot him(due to white being a contrasting color) and represents a real danger because it can be grabbed in a fight. I can't believe that in this day and age the misandrists are still making it impossible to have a male lead in a videogame who doesn't have long sexy hair like a rockstar; even when it clearly doesn't fit the characters fighter prowess.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I think it's ridiculous that Geralt(who appears shirtless many times) and is considered to be a great fighter but has long white hair. Which is the opposite of helpful in a fight as it both makes it easier to spot him(due to white being a contrasting color) and represents a real danger because it can be grabbed in a fight. I can't believe that in this day and age the misandrists are still making it impossible to have a male lead in a videogame who doesn't have long sexy hair like a rockstar; even when it clearly doesn't fit the characters fighter prowess.

If you don't see the difference between what you wrote and what was discussed earlier then I can see how you earned your red text.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Senjuro posted:

If you don't see the difference between what you wrote and what was discussed earlier then I can see how you earned your red text.

Please try not to be offended by a joke on the somethingawful dot com games subforum.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I need masculinism because Fire Fox spellcheck doesn't recognize "misandry" as a word.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
So I notice that the thread has grown by over 100 posts in the last day and I'm super excited that there's been some development regarding W3.

Thanks a lot, fuckers. :unsmith:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Iorveth says "Dhoine" in the new Witcher game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Its ok to enjoy something but still feel like some aspects could be handled better! Be happy goons.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Well I hope that it turns out that Ciri has heels so that she can sword fight with her feet too.

You know what you need to do CDPR :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Doktor! Turn off my mutagen inhibitors! :unsmigghh:

In thread news, I finally have the time to work on a new OP for the next megathread, which'll collect all of the media that's been released thus far for Witcher 3.

• Locked thread