Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

It was actually in response to a question about people flying terrorist flags over their homes or businesses (because this is totally a serious problem) so it's a little out of context, but yeah.

No word on whether IDF or American flags are on the banned list yet.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Flags Tony. We've recognized the Aboriginal and T.S.I as national flags for almost 20 years.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

webmeister posted:

It was actually in response to a question about people flying terrorist flags over their homes or businesses (because this is totally a serious problem) so it's a little out of context, but yeah.

No word on whether IDF or American flags are on the banned list yet.

It's still dumb in context.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It must have killed him inside to not be able to say "the Union Jack".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland Police take out GoonCon 2015 due to terrorist grenade flags and horse related combat suits.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Bompacho posted:

Flags Tony. We've recognized the Aboriginal and T.S.I as national flags for almost 20 years.

Maybe he's just taking a stand against our various military organizations who fly variant ensigns.

deathofmusic
Jan 3, 2001

Anidav posted:

Queensland Police take out GoonCon 2015 due to Queensland Police.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Maybe he's just taking a stand against our various military organizations who fly variant ensigns.

Or you know... the various state and territory flags.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What's the status on flying the Eureka flag?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Tony Abbott says new migrants must be on ‘Team Australia’ as he steps up war on home-grown jihadists
51 MINS AGO

DON’T migrate to Australia unless you want to join “Team Australia” Tony Abbott has declared, ahead of his meetings with Muslim leaders this week.

The Prime Minister will sit down with community heads in Sydney today in a bid to allay fears about the recently announced beefed up counter-terror laws.

“We’ve got a serious problem of radicalised people going to the Middle East to fight with terrorist groups,” Mr Abbott told 2GB Radio this morning.

“Some of them will want to come back to Australia and they do pose a risk if they do, because they’ve been radicalised, militarised and brutalised by the experience.”

The Prime Minister said about two-thirds of people who returned from Afghanistan went on to be involved in “home-grown terrorist plotting”.

“So we do have to be vigilant against it, and my position is that everyone has got to be on Team Australia,” he said.

“Everyone has got to put this country, its interests, its values and its people first, and you don’t migrate to this country unless you want to join our team and that’s the point I’ll be stressing.”
Mr Abbott, who has recently announced beefed up counter-terrorism laws, urged the “moderate mainstream” to speak out.

“Overwhelmingly, our country is comprised of good decent people who want to put Australia and its people first, and it’s important that individual communities can’t be caricatured on the basis of a militant few rather than on the basis of what I take to be a sensible majority.”

The only flag that should be flying is the “Australian national flag”, the PM said, when asked what should be done if someone in Sydney wants to fly the flag of a terrorist organisation.

Ahead of his first meeting of the week, Mr Abbott also issued a strong warning to those considering leaving Australia to fight overseas.

“If you leave our country as an Australian citizen, as an Australian resident, as anyone at all, to join a terrorist group overseas, to work with a terrorist group overseas, that is illegal,” he told reporters in Sydney.

“If you come back to Australia, you will be arrested, you will be prosecuted and if you are successfully prosecuted there will be a substantial jail term because people have to obey the law in this country and it is illegal, seriously wrong, to serve with an overseas terrorist organisation.”

A fortnight ago the Abbott government announced plans to inject another $630 million to help the Australian Secret Intelligence Service (ASIS), AFP, ASIO and Customs and Border Protection.

It also wants to make it an offence to travel to ‘designated areas’ where terrorist organisations are conducting hostile activities unless there is a valid reason.

This happened. This is what Abbott's handlers came up with to reconnect to the community.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Been reading a New Matilda article on the death of satire on the ABC (and I guess on other TV channels). Considering the "characters" in the Federal Parliament at the moment, now's the time for some great political satire.

However all seems to be dead quiet. Other than Dawes and Clarke, no one else is putting up their hand. Chaser boys have gone quiet (I guess the dog loving thing has made them pretty unpopular). We need some more Max Gillies/Rod Quantock type people out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvsxPvlvYtQ

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Lid posted:

This happened. This is what Abbott's handlers came up with to reconnect to the community.

This JUST got posted, followed by a full page of discussion

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

What's the status on flying the Eureka flag?

Depends.

A union flying it is bad.

Neo-nazis flying it is all good.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

You Am I posted:

Been reading a New Matilda article on the death of satire on the ABC (and I guess on other TV channels). Considering the "characters" in the Federal Parliament at the moment, now's the time for some great political satire.

However all seems to be dead quiet. Other than Dawes and Clarke, no one else is putting up their hand. Chaser boys have gone quiet (I guess the dog loving thing has made them pretty unpopular). We need some more Max Gillies/Rod Quantock type people out there

The roast on abc 2 is pretty good political satire.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Splode posted:

This JUST got posted, followed by a full page of discussion

Where

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You Am I posted:

Utopia just started.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

here, page 62

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Splode posted:

here, page 62

The whole thing was a lot more than flag chat, hence the oversight. Like the Team Australia or alleging 66% of Afghan returners are radical Islamics.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Lid posted:

NTATA posted:

“Everyone has got to put this country, its interests,its values* and its people first, and you don’t migrate to this country unless you want to join our team and that’s the point I’ll be stressing.”

See: My values*

Also "Tony Abbott says new migrants must be on ‘Team Australia’ as he steps up war on home-grown jihadists"

War on home grown jihadists - still focusing on migrants. :psyduck:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

webmeister posted:

"I don't know what the legal position is but frankly the only flag that should be flying is the Australian national flag," Mr Abbott said.

BRB, I'm going to call PJ O'Brien's and tell them they need to pull down their Irish flag.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

I just want to know if people are allowed to go abroad and fight against terrorist organizations. Can Iraqis go home and fight with the Iraqi army? Syrians? What about Iranians? Kurds? If somebody did that, would they get their dole payments cut? Not that you can receive unemployment benefits while you are overseas anyway, but you know, ignoring the dog whistles and getting down to the logic that forcefully refuses to underpin this rhetoric.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Did anyone post today's Courier Mail? On my phone but it accuses Wayne Swan of trying to start a second French Revolution. No joke, this is journalism.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ler posted:

Stay classy News Corp

But there's an even bigger Australian flag being flown over the other flags :psyduck:

webmeister posted:

"I don't know what the legal position is but frankly the only flag that should be flying is the Australian national flag," Mr Abbott said.

The police have been notified and an infringement will be written up.

Lid posted:

DON’T migrate to Australia unless you want to join “Team Australia” Tony Abbott has declared, ahead of his meetings with Muslim leaders this week.

What the gently caress is wrong with this guy?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm all down for the beheading of those in power. Where do I sign up?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I just want to know if people are allowed to go abroad and fight against terrorist organizations. Can Iraqis go home and fight with the Iraqi army? Syrians? What about Iranians? Kurds? If somebody did that, would they get their dole payments cut? Not that you can receive unemployment benefits while you are overseas anyway, but you know, ignoring the dog whistles and getting down to the logic that forcefully refuses to underpin this rhetoric.

I'm wondering how Abbott would've deal with Australian-Germans going back to Germany at the start of World War 2 to help the Fatherland. I wonder if he'd go to the point these days to cut off their aged pension

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

If you cross the border you're a terrorist. Unless you're heading to Bali, then you're a true dinky di Aussie ocker.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Didn't we intern all the Germans during WW2?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Did anyone post today's Courier Mail? On my phone but it accuses Wayne Swan of trying to start a second French Revolution. No joke, this is journalism.

I would unironically vote 1 ALP if this was their election platform.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

The French Revolution was a bad thing huh? If only we could go back to the days of Feudalism!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gotta wait 'till they win government before they can start the revolution.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

We did in WW1 as well, apparently.

I know there was a story of someone who went to school in Sydney but ended up fighting for the Germans, and was possibly responsible for killing a bunch of his former classmates. The school wasn't sure whether to put him on the War Memorial. No idea if it's true or not.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

open24hours posted:

Not all, but some. IIRC it was the newer arrivals. A lot of Barossa Deutsch weren't, probably because there were about 30,000 of then and they were also 3rd or 4th generation Australian and had arrived before the pan-germanic nationalism thing really got underway back in the fatherland.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds good to me.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jokes on you, Courier Mail. I like cake. :colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

Jokes on you, Courier Mail. I like cake. :colbert:

I can tell.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm also slightly annoyed they picked a phrase associated with the French Revolution of 1789 and a picture depicting the 1848 Revolution. :spergin:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I doubt they're that Machiavellian but I'm guessing they want the result from the 1848 revolution and not the 1789-1815 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

I'm also slightly annoyed they picked a phrase associated with the French Revolution of 1789 and a picture depicting the 1848 Revolution. :spergin:

I'm annoyed they implied that Swanny is both leading the revolution and also saying 'let them eat cake' :spergin::hf::spergin:

• Locked thread