Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

And people call me dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hmm let me just park my car in front of and walk around a specially designed road whose purpose is to slow down 40 tons that can't stop.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Second day in the ten speed truck and the instructor apparently feels safe enough to have me take it out on roads with traffic. Yay me. (Dies from nerves)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

tater_salad posted:

Hmm let me just park my car in front of and walk around a specially designed road whose purpose is to slow down 40 tons that can't stop.

How often do those get used? I think I've seen one with a truck or even tire tracks on it maybe twice in my whole life.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

How often do those get used? I think I've seen one with a truck or even tire tracks on it maybe twice in my whole life.

When the truck gets pulled out they need to rake it so it doesn't look used..

I still wouldn't risk it usually they spend the money to build them only where trucks are known to run out of brake. You probably have more of a chance than lightning. But why stand on a golf course holding your club up in the air?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

^^^gawd drat it^^^

Snowdens Secret posted:

The DOT has to repair a ramp right after use so it can be used again. They aren't used that much, but it still happens.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NoWake posted:

I was lucky to get my CDL through my college, the campus transit system hired college students with no experience and trained 'em up for their CDL test. I suppose they found it was cheaper to hire college kids at just-above minimum wage with no benefits and eat the inevitable fender benders vs. paying union wages and benefits for adults. It was only a Class B that I had, but it was still useful for the tour buses, box trucks, cherry pickers, & cement mixers I'd eventually end up driving for compensation. Most people can't say they went to college to be a bus driver, so there's that.

UC Davis?

At least they are basically entirely student run at unitrans, brother of a friend became a heavy diesel mechanic because of that.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

nm posted:

UC Davis?

At least they are basically entirely student run at unitrans, brother of a friend became a heavy diesel mechanic because of that.

Nah, University of Toledo. If the system over there was anything like UT's, I can see why he went into that line of work. You'll never, ever be out of a job. (ours were in the shop more than they were out)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have diligently lurked the old thread and this one and actually have a reason to finally post here. Heck, this thread probably contributed to my trucking interest which got me here. I won't be driving but I got a job in the a Telematics industry. I have seen a lot of posts about the Qualcomm stuff here, and apparently there are a bunch of companies vying to replace that technology with other, fancy, more expensive stuff.

What kinds of systems do y'all have these days? On the scale of "it's Big Brother riding shotgun, I hate it," to "the system is useful and adds value to my drives," what is your opinion of these things?

I have the sense that big companies like them because they think it saves money and drivers hate them because they are nanny systems and rat them out for speeding or whatever while taking away the ability to make value added decisions as a driver.

Have I just signed a deal with the devil?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
What kind of telematics job did you get? I had an opportunity for a telematics job but urned it down. Hope I didn't make a mistake! I think it will be a very big emerging technology in the next few years.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The ones we had at swift were more useful than they were annoying, though I can see an old trucker hating having to type and generally resenting the thing.

The interface was definitely not great but also not truly terrible as these things go. I posted a rant about them years ago but not in this thread, wonder if I can find it...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Some of the newer systems are pretty good about doing something IE showing your drive time as you drive, also being a GPS unit and the like. But they are only useful if the guy at the desk is watching the info dump.

It's also only as good as the idiot who enters the information. Which can be on both ends. They are useful for saying shits done though. But I use my smartphone for that poo poo mostly now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A Qualcomm app that did the same poo poo and let you use your phone instead of that giant klunky terminal would be pretty awesome. Plus screenshots would be handy.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thanks for not going all internet detective on this, I understand it is a competitive field with a bunch of companies all competing for clients so I won't really talk about that. I think this runs on smartphones and tables as well as built in hardware if you have it. Does all the GPS and routing and stuff in addition to the rules for vehicle inspection and maintenance and driver rest and signing off when things were delivered or loaded or whatever. Seems pretty comprehensive, and not just for 18 wheelers but any sort of commercial vehicle.

Glad to hear that they may not be as universally loathed as other internet searches have lead me to believe. I think these guys make a good product, and it's good to hear that users still have to make good use of it for it to be, well, useful. It seems like this stuff would be great for the planners and schedulers, and I think there is stuff like traffic info and routing around construction and traffic that seems like it would be good for drivers.

Apparently all these companies are selling hard into the companies with the vehicles working the new oil boom areas in the US, so I may get to go out in the field and see some of that. I've never even been to a truck stop before.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

^^^gawd drat it^^^

The DOT has to repair a ramp right after use so it can be used again. They aren't used that much, but it still happens.
Also modern exhaust brakes are much better than the older brakes, and are basically standard. My dad had to go down Black Mountain in NC (5 mile 6% grade) without the Jake because the brake sensor was hosed, and it was hairy. I went down that same grade Friday with a working jake brake and it was easy as pie.

One time I saw a work crew pulling a truck out of a runaway truck ramp on I-15 in California; they needed a crane.

Oh and I'm now in a brand new Freightliner Cascadia Evolution. The Volvo got 5.5 MPG, the Cascadia got 8 mpg on the maiden voyage of 8000 miles. The automagic transmission takes some time to get used to, but it's awesome.

NoWake posted:

Nah, University of Toledo. If the system over there was anything like UT's, I can see why he went into that line of work. You'll never, ever be out of a job. (ours were in the shop more than they were out)
Diesel mechanic has got to be one of the best job markets around, there's just so many trucks on the road and they love to break down. It's a dirty job but the pay should be good and there's no shortage of work.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 18, 2014

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Are there still autos with a clutch? One of my previous jobs had a toterhome with a 10 speed clutched automatic and it was slow as poo poo, especially starting on hills -- it'd go through every drat gear. One time the floor mat got pushed forward and prevented the clutch brake from engaging and it'd refuse to go into gear :doh:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Thanks for not going all internet detective on this, I understand it is a competitive field with a bunch of companies all competing for clients so I won't really talk about that. I think this runs on smartphones and tables as well as built in hardware if you have it. Does all the GPS and routing and stuff in addition to the rules for vehicle inspection and maintenance and driver rest and signing off when things were delivered or loaded or whatever. Seems pretty comprehensive, and not just for 18 wheelers but any sort of commercial vehicle.

Glad to hear that they may not be as universally loathed as other internet searches have lead me to believe. I think these guys make a good product, and it's good to hear that users still have to make good use of it for it to be, well, useful. It seems like this stuff would be great for the planners and schedulers, and I think there is stuff like traffic info and routing around construction and traffic that seems like it would be good for drivers.

Apparently all these companies are selling hard into the companies with the vehicles working the new oil boom areas in the US, so I may get to go out in the field and see some of that. I've never even been to a truck stop before.

Not going to lie, but I like paper a bit better for unfucking a day. Now that we have our Obamabreak® it really gets stupid about that break. Everybody involved with that 30 minute break needs to have their dick kicked.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ijustam posted:

Are there still autos with a clutch? One of my previous jobs had a toterhome with a 10 speed clutched automatic and it was slow as poo poo, especially starting on hills -- it'd go through every drat gear.

Yeah, this is my experience with the DAF I drove with a computer controlled manual box, they seem to be designed around "MUST GET TO TOP GEAR BECAUSE LESS REVS MEANS MORE FUEL EFFICIENT!" and it was a loving dog to drive because of it. Going up hills was loving painful because it would chug all the way down to the absolute last rev it could manage before it would barely not stall and change gears.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 18, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So how seriously does a trucking company take complaints against a driver? Had a guy purposely come back into my lane and almost take me out with the trailer tires today which would have probably killed me since I was on a bicycle. Had to go into the gutter and slam on the brakes to avoid it. Got a plate number off the trailer but no witnesses or video or anything.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Javid posted:

A Qualcomm app that did the same poo poo and let you use your phone instead of that giant klunky terminal would be pretty awesome. Plus screenshots would be handy.

That would absolutely MURDER your phone battery if it relied on "fine location" (GPS). It'd need to be plugged into at least a 1-1.5 amp charger constantly.

I know just using Google Maps is enough to keep my phone (slightly) discharging while plugged in and in active use, though I have a 750mA car charger (phone can take up to 1.5A).

Plus who's to say they wouldn't build the app to spy on phone calls, texts, emails, etc? Or give dispatchers the ability to turn on the camera?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

That would absolutely MURDER your phone battery if it relied on "fine location" (GPS). It'd need to be plugged into at least a 1-1.5 amp charger constantly.

I know just using Google Maps is enough to keep my phone (slightly) discharging while plugged in and in active use, though I have a 750mA car charger (phone can take up to 1.5A).

Plus who's to say they wouldn't build the app to spy on phone calls, texts, emails, etc? Or give dispatchers the ability to turn on the camera?

Well, you can't do any of that poo poo on an ios device, so that's one reason.

I wouldn't have it up constantly, but popping into it to read the thing without getting out of bed would be handy. Not intending it to replace the physical device, just supplement it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Gotcha. Android is far less secure in that regard; you do get a popup showing what permissions an app wants before installing, but who actually reads every detail? (not most)

As a supplement, I can see it as being pretty handy. Especially if the existing (well, next-gen) Qualcomm had, say, NFC, or low powered wifi built in to allow you to tether your phone to it for such functions.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Ive heard some firms in Europe have an Truck Driver ID dongle that needs to be in its sensor for the truck to be go above a certain speed without incurring fines. The device will also count down your total hours for the day and until you next required break. You can even hot-swap on the fly using the cruise control.

jamal posted:

So how seriously does a trucking company take complaints against a driver? Had a guy purposely come back into my lane and almost take me out with the trailer tires today which would have probably killed me since I was on a bicycle. Had to go into the gutter and slam on the brakes to avoid it. Got a plate number off the trailer but no witnesses or video or anything.

Depends on the firm. I know if I had a road-rage style experience against me as a truck driver I would ring back to my Ops manager and tell him whats up. Like if someone tried to pass me on the shoulder of a construction zone and I blocked them out. That way if they ring my home location to complain the Ops Man could be like 'Yes sir sorry about that he'll get a speaking too.' then do nothing about it.

My advice would probably not to get aggressive angry over the phone but perhaps to the guy on the other end of the phone to remind the drivers that they need to watch out for cyclists cause of reason X.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Anphear posted:

Ive heard some firms in Europe have an Truck Driver ID dongle that needs to be in its sensor for the truck to be go above a certain speed without incurring fines. The device will also count down your total hours for the day and until you next required break. You can even hot-swap on the fly using the cruise control.

Sounds like a digital tachograph that logs truck speeds and rest. The rental firm our theatre group always worked with unfortunately installed them on their whole fleet, meaning that we either have to use several 3.5 ton trucks or find someone that not only has a truck license but also a digital tacho card.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they're mandatory within the EU.

quote:

All relevant vehicles manufactured since 1 May 2006 must be fitted with digital tachograph heads. The recording medium for analogue heads are wax coated paper discs, and for digital heads are digital driver cards containing a microchip with flash memory. Digital driver cards store data as a .ddd file that can be imported into tachograph analysis software.

Drivers are legally required to accurately record their activities, retain the records and produce them on demand to transport authorities who are charged with enforcing regulations governing drivers' working hours. Regulation (EC) 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council defines drivers hours.

I have a friend that used to drive timber lorries with the old paper ones and now drive car haulers with the digital one, and by the sounds of it this has really cut down on fiddling with hours.

These here are the EU regs btw, if anyone is curious.

quote:

Driving hours

The main EU rules on driving hours are that you must not drive more than:

9 hours in a day - this can be extended to 10 hours twice a week
56 hours in a week
90 hours in any 2 consecutive weeks

All driving you do under EU rules must be recorded on a tachograph.

Breaks and rest

The main points of EU rules on breaks and rest are that you must take:

at least 11 hours rest every day - you can reduce this to 9 hours rest 3 times between any two weekly rest periods
an unbroken rest period of 45 hours every week - you can reduce this to 24 hours every other week
your weekly rest after 6 consecutive 24-hour periods of working, starting from the end of the last weekly rest period taken (coach drivers on an international trip can take their weekly rest after 12 consecutive 24-hour periods, starting from the end of the last weekly rest period taken)
a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes after no more than 4.5 hours driving

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, they're mandatory within the EU.

I have a friend that used to drive timber lorries with the old paper ones and now drive car haulers with the digital one, and by the sounds of it this has really cut down on fiddling with hours.

No wonder you guys take forever to get poo poo moved.

some texas redneck posted:

You'd only really need a snapshot every 7.5 minute to be legal.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I can't believe how strict some of these rules are.

For NZ its:
14 hours work time per day, including 2 mandatory 30 min breaks that have to be taking after 5 1/2 hours.
10 hours, at least, of mandatory rest between workdays.
70 hours max work time per work week.
24 hours, at least, of mandatory rest between work weeks.

So I could work 6 am till 8 pm 5 days a week for 65 hours of work then work on Saturday for 5 hours to finish my 70. My rest time also includes commute to and from work which means that to get 7 hours sleep between shifts you may only have 2 hours or less to make your food, shower and chill with your significant other before bed.

I personally think that NZ's hours are structured as so because lots of areas are around 5 to 6 hours driving from each other. So you drive up in one 5 hour slot, have your 30 mins drive a forklift for a bit to reload then drive back down for another 5 hours, then go home.

Running two log books is almost mandatory for some driving to some locations.

Vovo
Aug 12, 2005
Grand Luxe
In the EU at least there are some vehicles that don't have to use the (electronic) logs, they are exempt from the rules I guess. Included are for example government trucks, busses that run local routes and cash transit.

I live in The Netherlands, which has some added local exemptions as well. Milk trucks don't have to have it, as well as some vehicles used for farms etc. At the company I'm presently driving for I don't have to use any logs as long as I stay within a 100 km range of the company.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Vovo posted:

In the EU at least there are some vehicles that don't have to use the (electronic) logs, they are exempt from the rules I guess. Included are for example government trucks, busses that run local routes and cash transit.

I live in The Netherlands, which has some added local exemptions as well. Milk trucks don't have to have it, as well as some vehicles used for farms etc. At the company I'm presently driving for I don't have to use any logs as long as I stay within a 100 km range of the company.

We have the 100 mile air rule here as well.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Companies will skirt HOS here by running light trucks and/or not across state lines. A driver that never leaves OR can run a 25,999 lb rated truck without logs and as long as the company can keep them in it. And they try.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

InterceptorV8 posted:

No wonder you guys take forever to get poo poo moved.

Nah, that's still mostly the summer strikes

Bathroom Surprise
Feb 15, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

We have the 100 mile air rule here as well.

<26000 truck and <100 mile air rule for what I do, was given a card with the traveling salesman rules on it to present if needed, company gets pissed if anyone works more than 14 hours in a day though. Trucks all have SageQuest GPS trackers on them to make it even more fun.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah there are getting to be so many stupid rules that don't mean poo poo and that don't matter anymore. The 30 minute break is loving flat out retarded, because it just wastes time, and if someone could explain how working longer and being forced to rush makes things safer, then I'm all ears. Then the 30 minute break doesn't include local drivers or linehaul drivers. You have to follow all these rules because gently caress safety, but slap a FEMA sticker in your window, naw, it's cool driver, run hot, it's legal, what's scalehouses for and gently caress axleweight. Hazmat has all kinds of rules that get tossed each winter because "gently caress it's cold, we need our heat!"

At least I caused someone to poo poo their pants the other day. Turning left on a protected left and a daffy bitch does the old right on red right in front of me. It's been awhile since I've seen that look of sheer terror when she looked to her left and saw my grill maybe five feet away from her. Didn't even have to lay on the horn.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why do people think it's sane to cut off the freightliner pulling up to the red light? I mean, it even says student driver all over it...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ozmiander posted:

Why do people think it's sane to cut off the freightliner pulling up to the red light? I mean, it even says student driver all over it...
4 wheelers really want to never ever ever be behind a big truck. Welcome to the fun times.

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009

ijustam posted:

Are there still autos with a clutch? One of my previous jobs had a toterhome with a 10 speed clutched automatic and it was slow as poo poo, especially starting on hills -- it'd go through every drat gear. One time the floor mat got pushed forward and prevented the clutch brake from engaging and it'd refuse to go into gear :doh:

Yeah, I have one in the 2000 freightliner century I drive. Pretty cool truck. 15L Cummins, 550 hp, almost 2k torque, stretched chassis daycab with a PTO shaft that runs a pump for bulk plastic, and fully skirted with a flat deck, no catwalk. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

CannonFodder posted:

4 wheelers really want to never ever ever be behind a big truck. Welcome to the fun times.

The only time I remerge into a 18wh or similar sized truck lane is after I'm a full 4 seconds in front of it and start signalling intentions as soon as I'm abeam in my 4 wheeler. gently caress being a grille ornament.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I wait until I can see both headlights in my rear view mirror. It's s good general rule of thumb, actually.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

This, and threads like this are great for one thing. Showing people how bad other people really drive around big trucks. Every trucker driver starts like this now:

*reads forum posts from other drivers about how everybody is a loving moron on the road*

*starts to learn how to drive a rig because gently caress it, eurotruck is a fun game*

*SWEET MERCIFUL CHRIST! THEY AREN'T MAKING poo poo UP, EVERYBODY IS ACTIVELY TRYING TO KILL ME!!!*

*year later, body by freightliner, eating jerky fistful after fistful, redbulls are life, morals are gone, read a post about another person getting their CDL and smile, ONE OF US ONE OF US*

I love the people who cut me off in a construction zone, slam on the brakes once they are around me, while we are on a downgrade, in a loving Pruis.

Like they are actively trying to trigger me and give me a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I have a CB in my car and talk to truckers, let them over if they need it and give them at least 3-4 car lengths and ample blinks before I change lanes. My dad has been driving trucks since the early 90s so I know how lovely the 4 wheelers can be to yall so I hope to make your job a little easier if I can!

• Locked thread