Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

aers posted:

Ikuhara was series director for R, S, and SuperS, before quitting Toei since they wouldn't let him do what he wanted on the SuperS movie. Then he went and made Utena with a bunch of dudes he met working on Sailor Moon, like Enokido, who was the main writer for SuperS and Utena. You may also know him as the guy who went on to make Star Driver with his BFF Igarashi, another ex-Toei staffer who directed a lot of key Sailor Moon episodes as well as his own show, Doremi.

Sadly Ikuhara wasn't involved with Star Driver at all, which I will cheerfully point to as the reason it sucked even if it's actually more complicated than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Correction: It was Tiger Eye that went after children/teenagers.

I've been watching the old anime since they've been showing it on TV over here and in a recent episode Fish Eye went after one of Chibiusa's classmates. Sorry, two thirds of the Amazon Trio are pedos in the anime.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If they had thought to stick a tiara on Luna I bet they could have all just waltzed in together. Not that it slowed her down for long, I guess she really is a cat after all.

It's weird, but not bad that they changed up some of the translation now, I went back to see if they might have retroactively changed Evil to Youma in the first episode, but nope. Not yet anyway. Evil was dumb, Youma is ok, why not just demon or something?

The translation seems different in the OP song too, maybe it's just that the karaoke is pink now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sadly Ikuhara wasn't involved with Star Driver at all, which I will cheerfully point to as the reason it sucked even if it's actually more complicated than that.

I reread what I wrote and I suppose I wasn't clear, I meant Enokido/Igarashi did Star Driver.

Honestly the most obviously Ikuhara thing in the original anime is the R movie, which he directed. Its full of signs of his directing and, well, there's the plot.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Isn't Fish Eye the one they made a girl in the English dub, then showed in the shower, topless and boobless?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yes

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

The dub was not written with logical consistencies in mind.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Obligatory Toast posted:

The dub was not written with logical consistencies in mind.

Let me just gaze longingly into my cousin's eyes while roses appear in the background. This is completely fine.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't remember anything after the Dark Kingdom stuff personally. I mean, the internet has told me about later stuff, like the Death Busters, some clan of Dark Moon themed people, and an ?Evil Senshi Empire? but all I really remember is them fighting a tree and a pair of twins or something. Also a mad scientist, who in retrospect was probably Saturn's dad who leads said Death Busters even if I don't remember enough to confirm that.

As for this particular episode, yep, still confirming that Usagi's the dumbest and worst of the crew. Save us Jupiter.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

a cartoon duck posted:

I've been watching the old anime since they've been showing it on TV over here and in a recent episode Fish Eye went after one of Chibiusa's classmates. Sorry, two thirds of the Amazon Trio are pedos in the anime.

Oh I forgot about that. Oh well. It's been ages since I've watched SuperS, and I have no desire to watch it again.

Speaking of dubs, I'm still confused as hell over whoever decided Zirconia needed to sound like a goofy old man in the English dub. I mean not only was there no real reason to make her a guy, but considering her origin, it doesn't even make sense.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Death Busters

The Death Busters are legit the best though. Doctor Tomoe absolutely loved his job being a mad scientist and Eudial had the best entrances. I still love how for her final showdown with Uranus and Neptune Eudial was playing the organ in some citadel only to have it turn out she was hover-handing an a cassette player next to her was blaring organ sounds, it's the perfect combination of goof and drama.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So with the 4 generals presumably not dying straight away this time around, what are the chances Beryl gets a redemption this time around?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Beryl's responsible for like two genocides for entirely selfish reasons. It's pretty hard to redeem that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, but she was corrupted and manipulated by Metallia just like the 4 Generals. Just curious if they're gonna downplay that plot point again or not since they seem to be be keeping the 4 generals around longer this time.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

a cartoon duck posted:

The Death Busters are legit the best though. Doctor Tomoe absolutely loved his job being a mad scientist and Eudial had the best entrances. I still love how for her final showdown with Uranus and Neptune Eudial was playing the organ in some citadel only to have it turn out she was hover-handing an a cassette player next to her was blaring organ sounds, it's the perfect combination of goof and drama.

This is why Eudial is my favourite villainess, and why I want to use necromancy to resurrect both her and Nephrite to form a Red-Headed League of Evil and Driving Too Fast.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I borrowed a bunch of VHS tapes of Sailor Moon from a fellow college shut-in years ago and then my 2 feral roommates and I watched a shitload of this show bootlegged to hell and back. I seem to recall that we liked S the best, for obvious reasons, but also that there were a lot of sort of vaguely drunken re-enactments of Star Gentle Uterus because at finals time that was kind of what we were feeling, and it made us powerful.

What I mean is Japan is weird, but Sailor Moon rules.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

atomicgeek posted:

I borrowed a bunch of VHS tapes of Sailor Moon from a fellow college shut-in years ago and then my 2 feral roommates and I watched a shitload of this show bootlegged to hell and back. I seem to recall that we liked S the best, for obvious reasons, but also that there were a lot of sort of vaguely drunken re-enactments of Star Gentle Uterus because at finals time that was kind of what we were feeling, and it made us powerful.

What I mean is Japan is weird, but Sailor Moon rules.

You guys got hit in the face with steaming purple placenta? Alrighty, then.

(Also, I'm glad I'm not the only person who envisions Senshi attacks during stressful times.)

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm really disappointed that they didn't have a scene of them imagining Umino without his glasses like they did in the manga.

RIP sexy Umino, maybe we'll see you in the next adaptation. :sigh:

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Dresh posted:

I like how they also imagine that taking off his glasses would somehow tame his hair.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Man, it's kinda amazing how different the manga and anime are. I do like how Tuxedo Mask feels more like a part of the team in the manga, in hindsight the anime might've been too married to his rose-throwing gimmick, to the point he arrives at the scene with the rest of the Sailor team pre-transformation, but still arrives a minute late to the actual battle just to do his rose thing? It starts feeling kinda alienating, like there's a needless line drawn between him and the Sailor team, so I'm glad that's not there in the manga.

I also like how Haruka has feminine as well as masculine outfits and moods as opposed to being all butch all the time like in the anime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dresh posted:

I wanna go to THAT guy's snail-watching club.

Edit: Or whatever other nerd poo poo he did.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dresh posted:

The stupid thing is that there's enough dead space for a thought cloud of the two thinking about what he'd look like to be right there.

Man, gently caress Toei right where they don't want it, it's getting more and more apparent Crystal is a red headed step child in all of this and Toei couldn't give a gently caress to bother doing it even half right.

I fear for Zero Three now...

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 21, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

ConanThe3rd posted:

The stupid thing is that there's enough dead space for a thought cloud of the two thinking about what he'd look like to be right there.

Man, gently caress Toei right where they don't want it.

harsh

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

No, not really. I'm just really sick of Toei screwing off with these things between Saint Seiya Omega, Digimon Hunters and now Crystal.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Crystal hasn't been that bad. It's a nostalgia grab at adults who watched the show as kids/teens. They weren't going to blow the doors off with a huge budget or a mega animation team.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

lol that people think toei's other shows look any better right now

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Can.. Can we just get Toei and Trigger to switch projects? I'd wait a couple months for Makoto to get episodes of Sailor Moon as done by Trigger.....

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I don't want to see Trigger attempt PreCure, honestly.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Crystal hasn't been that bad. It's a nostalgia grab at adults who watched the show as kids/teens. They weren't going to blow the doors off with a huge budget or a mega animation team.

But nostalgic adults are surely more likely to notice all these flaws and feel kind of insulted by them. 'I've been a Sailor Moon fan since 1992 and you expect me to accept this? gently caress off.'

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dove from Above posted:

But nostalgic adults are surely more likely to notice all these flaws and feel kind of insulted by them. 'I've been a Sailor Moon fan since 1992 and you expect me to accept this? gently caress off.'

And yet here we are, watching it anyway.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

HIJK posted:

Yeah, but it's no longer on my 'buy' list. I never thought I'd say that. Stupid Toei.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HIJK posted:

I just read the thread to see if the reactions are getting any better at this point.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dove from Above posted:

Not really. Most adults just watch things and move on without breaking down each scene.

I mean I have nearly 20 years of fandom and each episode puts a smile on my face because it takes me back. I barely even notice any inconsistency in the animation because it's got a talking cat using a laptop and Sailor Mars chastising people.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I've noticed the poor animation quality but the music is awesome and it's fun to see a series closer to the manga in terms of plot. Would I prefer it if all the animation was consistently good and characters' eyes weren't sliding off their faces? Well, yeah, and I think Toei should get their act together and make it better, but I'm still enjoying it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's an excuse to dip into Sailor Moon again when there is no chance in hell I'm ever going to check out the old series and its unlikely I'll pick up the manga either. I'm of a similar mind about 03, I'm never ever going to go back and check out subbed Adventure/02, but sure, I'll follow a new one week to week until I get bored.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snow Halation posted:

Yeah, but it's no longer on my 'buy' list. I never thought I'd say that. Stupid Toei.

Exactly. I'm watching it because I don't want to withdraw my support completely (MY PRECIOUS SUPPORT, THEY WOULD REALLY NOTICE IF IT WERE GONE) but I have no interest in owning a series that looks this bad. The unevenness of the 90s series I can deal with because of the time it was produced - and at least you got whole episodes with an internally consistent style, not episodes with competent and incompetent drawing in different scenes, or even different shots within one scene. It's awfully sloppy. I just think Sailor Moon deserves better, you know?

I love the music, though. 'Moon Pride' is absolutely my jam du jour. I'm also interested to observe their adaptation decisions re: the manga plot, but in an analytical way where I'm not really engaged with the story.

At least I have the original series to love (well, I love Classic, R and S; my interest falls off a lot with SuperS and Stars), and I adore the live-action PGSM, even though that had pretty much the lamest version of Mamoru. Mamoru is basically the only Sailor Moon thing that I like better in the manga than in any of the other media.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Dove from Above posted:

When the final product lands and there's tons of lazy, sloppy animation, yeah it is kind of insulting (especially after all of the delays for the release). It's not even about breaking down each scene or analyzing each frame for flaws. Toei half-assed a lot of aspects of the show and they expect it to float on nostalgia alone. I felt let down when I watched the first episode and that feeling hasn't really gone away. Am I still going to watch it? Hell yeah I am, it's Sailor Moon. Am I going to buy DVDs? Probably not.

It would be super awesome if they reprinted the artbooks, though.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Crystal right now fellas like watching the Star Trek movies. Every other episode's animation looks good. One was good, two looked terrible, three was better, four was lazy, so five should be great. I wouldn't give Toei as much flack if this was a weekly show but the have a minimum of two weeks to get this done. In the case of episode five three weeks. I still find it really odd that the only Sailor Moon Crystal goods are the bluray preorders. All the other figures, stationary, and clothing are of the classic anime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
So wait... which episode is Wrath of Khan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The one that introduces the best Sailor Scout.

• Locked thread