Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh FFS Paradox, are they really going to introduce a vassal cap/limit like people on their forums are saying? Wouldn't that make the gameplay mechanics for the ERE even more crazy ahistorical than usual? And hell, I can't even imagine how the HRE would work.

The mechanic is related to crown law and HRE had very autonomous vassals. Presumably this mechanic would simply result in a more realistic HRE with low crown laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Actually a vassal cap sounds interesting to me. Might give people a reason to make vassal kings.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not to get all Byzantine obsessive but you already need to suspend your disbelief a bit regarding how the gameplay mechanics work since the ERE didn't work as a feudal system like the rest of Europe. Forcing the player to consolidate things into fewer powerful kingdom vassals makes it even stranger.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Byzantium is an exception to everything else so I'm sure there will be an exception for e_byzantium.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not to get all Byzantine obsessive but you already need to suspend your disbelief a bit regarding how the gameplay mechanics work since the ERE didn't work as a feudal system like the rest of Europe. Forcing the player to consolidate things into fewer powerful kingdom vassals makes it even stranger.

Much of Europe didn't work like the feudal system of France, but we accept that as well to have a somewhat workable gameplay.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I would hope that the vassal limit just means no more "0 dukes" strategies in kingdoms and makes creating some of the smaller kingdoms in empires a good strategy. Britannia with the kingdom of wales as your sole king level vassal, and full dukes everywhere kind of thing.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Just a quick question. What would you consider a good alternative to the grand tournament decision that feudal lords get for the heads of republics?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Can't wait till the new DLC is released, because then I can finally pick up the Old Gods at a discount price :v:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
$14,99 is enough to break anyones bank

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Can I have some strategy/game advice?

So, this happened (It's an older picture but not much has changed in like 100 years)

Every time I go and either press any de jure claims I have or fabricate a claim, England steamrolls me and I'm kind of stuck. Even if I hire mercenaries and call in my allies it's still not enough when England shows up with 30,000 levies and kicks my rear end.

What the hell can I do to get England out of my backyard? I can't figure out a strategy that works.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Shnooks posted:

Can I have some strategy/game advice?

So, this happened (It's an older picture but not much has changed in like 100 years)

Every time I go and either press any de jure claims I have or fabricate a claim, England steamrolls me and I'm kind of stuck. Even if I hire mercenaries and call in my allies it's still not enough when England shows up with 30,000 levies and kicks my rear end.

What the hell can I do to get England out of my backyard? I can't figure out a strategy that works.

When in doubt, stab. Even though they might have solidified their position over the years, if you can just maneuver the right heir onto the throne by stabbing everybody else (looking at Dwarf females, Kinslayers, Lunatics, the works), you should be able to engineer enough rebellions to somehow wrest that crown out of the personal union.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

cosmosisjones posted:

Just a quick question. What would you consider a good alternative to the grand tournament decision that feudal lords get for the heads of republics?

A football tournament? Medieval football matches had dozens of players on each side and sometimes used entire towns as their pitch. I know there are some cities in Italy which still keep the tradition and play an annual match in period costume. The actual patricians wouldn't be playing, but you could fire events for them like "the team from your family has won the competition" which grant a little prestige. You could tie in events where feuding families might lead to their games descending into mob violence, the clergy being angry that the church balcony was used as a goal, etc.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TheMcD posted:

When in doubt, stab. Even though they might have solidified their position over the years, if you can just maneuver the right heir onto the throne by stabbing everybody else (looking at Dwarf females, Kinslayers, Lunatics, the works), you should be able to engineer enough rebellions to somehow wrest that crown out of the personal union.

This. Forget about a 1-on-1 war with a united England, make them blow up in their own little rebellion first. Even if Andalusia is on the loyalist side, a good rebellion should tie up enough manpower that you can start chipping away at the English realm.

Also, ally with France or Scotland or someone.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

So, sorry if this was already posted, but check out the PCGamer's Mod of the Week. Congrats guys! :)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Beamed posted:

So, sorry if this was already posted, but check out the PCGamer's Mod of the Week. Congrats guys! :)

This makes me all sorts of giddy.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

TjyvTompa posted:

$14,99 is enough to break anyones bank

Meh, it goes on sale regularly so I don't want to buy it right now, only to find out it's 75% off the next day :)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I have a lot of young siblings I have to marry off and I've been making a lot of alliances with Ireland. I'm not very good at the stabbing. Part yet - I have trouble finding "loopholes". But, I have a lot of sisters so I guess I can marry some off to some claimants and stab the rest!

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Beamed posted:

" I named my three children Pepsi, iPhone, and DotA "

:laffo: he certainly got into the spirit of it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

What happens if I press a claim on a kingdom that's undergoing a rebellion? One of my vassals has a claim on the kingdom of Cumania (I'm an emperor), and about half its land area is "Cumania" while the other half is "Cumanian Revolt". Will I end up just getting the "Cumania" half, or will I inherit a civil war?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Parallax Scroll posted:

What happens if I press a claim on a kingdom that's undergoing a rebellion? One of my vassals has a claim on the kingdom of Cumania (I'm an emperor), and about half its land area is "Cumania" while the other half is "Cumanian Revolt". Will I end up just getting the "Cumania" half, or will I inherit a civil war?

I believe the vassal will get the crown and the "Cumania" half. Then depending on what kind of civil war it is different thinks may happen. I think that if the war is a war against the tyranny of the liege the other half will get independent. If the war is for a claim to the crown then your vassal will inherit the war and if he wins he will gain the other half of Cumania.

Not 100% sure though, weird things may happen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

somewhat unsure but I think you inherit the kingdom, and the revolt (as in you have to fight them) if the revolt is still kicking when you win.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bitter Mushroom posted:

" I named my three children Pepsi, iPhone, and DotA "

:laffo: he certainly got into the spirit of it

I hope the titles/names for Consumerists can get weird and awful.

High Lord CEO Nintendo Thirstcrusher presented by State Farm III of Branson.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Brawndo II "The Mutilator"

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

Brawndo II "The Mutilator"
Dupont IV "the Spokesman"
Alka-Seltzer XIII "the Not Responsible"
Colgate III "the Thirst-Quencher"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

I believe the vassal will get the crown and the "Cumania" half. Then depending on what kind of civil war it is different thinks may happen. I think that if the war is a war against the tyranny of the liege the other half will get independent. If the war is for a claim to the crown then your vassal will inherit the war and if he wins he will gain the other half of Cumania.

Not 100% sure though, weird things may happen.

Aight, I'll check what kind of war it is and the warscore this evening.

It's a weak claim, and offhand I'm not sure why I'm able to press the weak claim in this case. Could it be because of the revolt?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Probably. Weak claims can be pressed if its a regency, female ruler or the title is being contested already, if I remember the tooltip correctly.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Maybe I won't bother then. It would suck to march my dudes way out into Asia only to have the claim become invalid.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Once you declare war with a weak claim, you're good. Your war won't end if the revolt ends. Also, your claim will become inheritable (on case you have to white peace out).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Does a title have to be subject to an actual Dispute Succession CB for a weak claim to be pressable or is it just any civil war involving the title? I've never been totally clear on that.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Any war for the title. Disputed succession, adventurer war, invasions. I think even crusades/jihads let you press a weak claim.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Been out of the loop for a while, what's the lowdown on the new DLC?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone know where descriptions for religions are in the game files? I'm trying my hand at simple modding but cant find them for the life of me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tomn posted:

That said, if you're playing a Minor House challenge, you should probably ignore election funds - abusing the fact that the AI never puts money into their own election fund is what allows players to become perma-doges and part of what makes merchant republics so broken. .

Really? I've lost a number of elections where I knew my heir was in the lead to inherit a couple of days before I died, and by an amount too great to be explained by a prestige tick for age.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Really? I've lost a number of elections where I knew my heir was in the lead to inherit a couple of days before I died, and by an amount too great to be explained by a prestige tick for age.

AIs add some random amount to their totals at the moment of the election, for free. I think it caps out at like 500 though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah a cool thing to do if you have a weak claimant married into your dynasty (so that they have children of your dynasty- like if you have a daughter matrilinearly married to some chump with some nice claims) is to press their claim, win a battle or a siege, then immediately white peace out. Then their claim will be inherited by their kid of your dynasty, and you can press the kid's claim and they will become your vassal.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jedit posted:

fool_of_sound posted:

AIs add some random amount to their totals at the moment of the election, for free. I think it caps out at like 500 though.

Yeah, there's always a slight bit of variation - you can't get respect just high enough to match the AI and expect to win. You really want a nice, comfortable buffer of a few hundred points of respect. Remember, if the AI WAS spending money on the elections, then their respect would just be plain higher - no "We're lower but we still won!" dickery required.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

marktheando posted:

Yeah a cool thing to do if you have a weak claimant married into your dynasty (so that they have children of your dynasty- like if you have a daughter matrilinearly married to some chump with some nice claims) is to press their claim, win a battle or a siege, then immediately white peace out. Then their claim will be inherited by their kid of your dynasty, and you can press the kid's claim and they will become your vassal.
I've done some weird poo poo with claims, like pressing one to get a son that inherited a title outside my realm back into my court. gently caress you, Guiscard, you're not marrying some norwegian nobody with a club foot.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Quick question, does the relationship penalty for truce-breaker stack?

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Crap crap crap I'm playing the After the End mod and Crusader Queens at the same time (doesn't work) and set my Succession Law to Absolute Cognatic before I changed it from Gavelkind.

In order to prevent central North Carolina from falling apart, is there a simple text file where I can change this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

For fucks sake, the After the End mod has been the bane of my office life. Keep finding myself tabbing back in and fight for the glory of the New York Republic.

• Locked thread