Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shyfted One posted:

Just got to World 4 in 3D World so I went through the first pipe to the observation spot where the Mii there quoted Walsh from the first episode of Firefly. "Yes, this is a fertile land. This is a fertile land and we will thrive. We will call it... This Land."

Watching the Game Grumps play through it right now, they came upon that spot and the mii that was there said "everything the light touches is our kingdom" and it could not have been more perfect. IS the placement of those Miis completely random because if so some mii placements get incredibly lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mercury Crusader posted:

New Super Luigi U rules, so if you haven't played it yet I'd say go for it.

Worth noting that the first couple of levels appear to be "just" NSMBU levels, but then things get real challenging.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Shyfted One posted:

Just got to World 4 in 3D World so I went through the first pipe to the observation spot where the Mii there quoted Walsh from the first episode of Firefly. "Yes, this is a fertile land. This is a fertile land and we will thrive. We will call it... This Land."

Because I'm playing on the gamepad I have Netflix up on the TV and I was watching the first episode of Firefly.

Forget about Kinect. Nintendo knows too much and the Miiverse is run by the NSA.

Huh? You can do that? Or were you using another console/smart TV to watch Netflix while playing a Wii U Game?

I mean as I'm writing this I realize I have a PS3 that could pull this off but, for some reason, I'm more interested in the prospects of a multitasking Wii U.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

enojy posted:

Huh? You can do that? Or were you using another console/smart TV to watch Netflix while playing a Wii U Game?

I mean as I'm writing this I realize I have a PS3 that could pull this off but, for some reason, I'm more interested in the prospects of a multitasking Wii U.

You can't use the Wii U Netflix and then play a Wii U game. I mean, you really shouldn't use the Wii U Netflix unless it's your only option and you love doing things the hard way. I imagine his TV just supports Netflix.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

noirstronaut posted:

You can't use the Wii U Netflix and then play a Wii U game. I mean, you really shouldn't use the Wii U Netflix unless it's your only option and you love doing things the hard way. I imagine his TV just supports Netflix.

Hey, I'm into the Netflix app! Hulu, not so much. It's crashed the console more than once.

You're right though; the only reason I seem to prefer the Wii U Netflix app is the virtual keyboard, whoop-dee-doo. I can't even get 5.1 surround out of it due to my setup and the lack of optical out on the Wii U (older receiver with no HDMI support.)

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Macaluso posted:

Watching the Game Grumps play through it right now, they came upon that spot and the mii that was there said "everything the light touches is our kingdom" and it could not have been more perfect. IS the placement of those Miis completely random because if so some mii placements get incredibly lucky

I ran into that guy at the same spot forever ago and so I left a "This is just your memory Homer, I can't give you any new information." in the same spot.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I really want to try out Ufouria but I only have $4.66 on my account god drat you Nintendo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

On mine I got a guy that said "Sometimes you just need to stand back and ask yourself 'Who was that in mom's bedroom?'" or something along those lines.

sage advice

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaubocks posted:

On mine I got a guy that said "Sometimes you just need to stand back and ask yourself 'Who was that in mom's bedroom?'" or something along those lines.

sage advice

This game is awsome my mom and dad won't stop fighting

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Wildtortilla posted:

If I have some Wii game save data on my Wii U and I decide to transfer data from my Wii, it doesn't erase the stuff already on the Wii U does it? Basically, I'm replaying some of my Wii games on my Wii U and after Smash 4 releases, I'd transfer over my Smash 3 data if I can use the gamecube controllers for it on my Wii U with the adaptor.

edit: DKCTF talk. I really, really like Tropical Freeze and just got to world 4 this morning. All this swimming is driving me insane. But boy howdy, the mine cart level in this world really outdid itself! I'm keeping my mouth shut cause everyone should experience that on their own!

I just beat World 4 today! Same exact thoughts, swimming isn't nearly as fun as platforming and that minecart level was :krad:

The best bits of this game are the insane setpieces with platforms flying up from the bottom of the screen and stuff falling and you just make a blind jump to grab onto a vine that throws you through a window without any time to think about what you're doing. It's probably my favorite platformer on the system. So so good.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I've only played the first few worlds of Tropical Freeze (up to Monkey Tribe boss co-op at friends house) but I definitely am enjoying it more than Donkey Kong Returns at this point. Probably my next purchase if not Mario Kart. gently caress, there's so many games I gotta get on my Wii U. Only got Zelda WWHD and Wonderful 101 so far, thank god they're both pretty deep in terms of replayability.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hey Wii U friends, I know it's not exactly timely, but I finished up my Armillo review - it's by far the best thing I've done as far as quality goes, hope it convinces you to buy this game, I'm currently sitting at 8 hours having almost 100%'d it, just waiting for the patch to hit since I'm not exactly sure if a few things are achievable at present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ6I8NwoicU (5:31)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Can I play an SNES game with a second player using both the Wii U Pro controller and the gamepad?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maple Leaf posted:

Can I play an SNES game with a second player using both the Wii U Pro controller and the gamepad?

So long as it's one from the WiiU eShop and not the Wii Shop Channel, yes.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Is there some configuration I need to set them up in, then? Whenever I tried, both controllers controlled player 1.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Maple Leaf posted:

Is there some configuration I need to set them up in, then? Whenever I tried, both controllers controlled player 1.

Tap the gamepad screen, one of the corners lets you bind the gamepad to P2 instead. Unfortunately, for simplicity, all other controllers have it so Wii U controller number = SNES controller number.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Tap the gamepad screen, one of the corners lets you bind the gamepad to P2 instead. Unfortunately, for simplicity, all other controllers have it so Wii U controller number = SNES controller number.

Awesome, it worked. Thanks a bunch!

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

TheRam posted:

Hey Wii U friends, I know it's not exactly timely, but I finished up my Armillo review - it's by far the best thing I've done as far as quality goes, hope it convinces you to buy this game, I'm currently sitting at 8 hours having almost 100%'d it, just waiting for the patch to hit since I'm not exactly sure if a few things are achievable at present.

Oh, neat! I've seen other people in the thread say Armillo was good, so between those posts and this review I think I'll pick it up. Might wait until that patch drops though. Still, glad there have been a lot of good smaller games like this coming out.

Rammo, you still do a good job at being concise and providing a good amount of information in a short video. Appreciate you pointing out the upcoming patch to fix the current bugs particularly because that kind of thing is always important for these kind of games that probably don't have a big QA budget. Also, I'm shocked you manage to make it through the whole review without mentioning that the main character is adorable. :3:

One final thing though: that horrible static noise for your intro made every dog in my neighborhood start howling and then my insane neighbor broke down my door screaming about aliens and long story short three people are dead and my house is on fire. I'm just saying, maybe find a nice tune or something instead?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TheRam posted:

Armillo is A Good Game, it reminds me of a kinda janky N64 game in the best kind of way.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If Snake gets in the new game his final smash should be calling in a bunch of computer-controlled MSF troops down onto the arena who attack the other players. I don't think any other characters have any final smashes like that so it would be cool and unique.

E: Thought this was the Smash Bros thread, my bad.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

deadwing posted:

Armillo is A Good Game, it reminds me of a kinda janky N64 game in the best kind of way.

Haha it had me kind of sort of maybe slightly wanting to play Sonic 3D Blast.
Also the devs are really friendly, they re-tweeted my video at https://twitter.com/ArmilloGame which they totally didn't need to do since I'm kind of crass and whatnot.

CatsPajamas posted:

One final thing though: that horrible static noise for your intro made every dog in my neighborhood start howling and then my insane neighbor broke down my door screaming about aliens and long story short three people are dead and my house is on fire. I'm just saying, maybe find a nice tune or something instead?

Also yeh, really everything is a work in progress. I'll figure out if there is something less unpleasant I can do :unsmith:.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thanks for talking up NSMBU's later game a bit. Something about the first world just had me feeling meh, but I picked it back up, got through 2-1 and then started enjoying the game again. I don't know if the game just took time to click or if there's some issue with the first levels I can't put my finger on, but they just felt like an unfun chore.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bruceski posted:

Thanks for talking up NSMBU's later game a bit. Something about the first world just had me feeling meh, but I picked it back up, got through 2-1 and then started enjoying the game again. I don't know if the game just took time to click or if there's some issue with the first levels I can't put my finger on, but they just felt like an unfun chore.

I seriously played the first few levels, put the game down for a month not caring, and then finally picked it back up and loved the rest of it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm shocked I love New Mario U so much.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Are you me? I was unimpressed by World 1, but now that I'm halfway through World 2 the game is starting to grow on me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The first couple levels tries to hit the same notes that the first couple levels of all New Super Mario games do which is also just a pathetic imitation of SMB1 1-1 and 1-2.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I feel like out of all Nintendo-made Mario games, the New series is the last on the list of games I give fucks about. I can live a perfectly content life never playing one, I've realized.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

U is good. You'll like it a lot more not having played all the lovely other ones, too.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I mean, I've played but never finished one (aside from 2 out of sheer pity). They just feel really...the same. Like, I've played SMB 3 about a billion times back and forth, New was cool at first because, ya know, new graphics, new music, new power ups, four player levels, etc etc. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of console sidescrollers, but I rather have it on a portable device and treat it as an evergrowing mini game.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
As I'm sitting down proper and working through the details on the recommended games, I'm beginning to realize that doing a full writeup for the multiplats on the same scale as the exclusives would bloat the OP horribly, so I think I'll just leave those as a set of nicely organized cover arts. I believe I've already mentioned this prior, but I think that taking that part away would not only make the OP look better, but it also means the OP would actually exist a lot faster, as it makes the task feel less daunting, and I work better that way. :v:

Expect to see a draft of write-ups of all the relevant exclusives sometime in the very near future, at which point we'll really get this show on the road.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I received Tropical Freeze as a gift this weekend and have played two levels.
It's a very pretty game and I assume that there will many hardships ahead considering some of more tricky jumps I've already encountered.
I do like that I don't have to shake the controller anymore, while I don't mind it in NSMB it just never felt tight enough for use in DKR. Sucks to be player 2 though, who still has to shake it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Somebody mentioned Phantom Hourglass a while back, and I've got to defend it. I thought the stylus controls were a nice shot in the arm - making the boomerang curve around with ease led to some great puzzles. It is a nice and enjoyable entry in the Zelda series, kinda similar to Link's Awakening.

gently caress Spirit Tracks though. In response to Phantom Hourglasses "easy" difficulty, Spirit Tracks is a bastard hard slog after the first few dungeons. The stylus controls aren't anywhere near up to the challenge, and really left a bad taste.

Kind've excited to check out Wind Waker HD though, not gonna lie. Skyward Sword's controls never clicked for me, not sure if my sensor bar was out of whack or if I just wasn't playing it "Right.", but I was constantly having to recenter the controls every few minutes after it misread several slashes. I died eight times in a row in the first dungeon on one enemy alone, all because a goddamn specific slash manoeuvre wouldn't work quickly enough. Might try it again, if I ever so gingerly come back to the zelda franchise.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Darth TNT posted:

Sucks to be player 2 though, who still has to shake it.
Nah, DKCTF has Pro Controller support.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

Nah, DKCTF has Pro Controller support.
Yes, but I don't have a pro controller and little incentive to buy one.
Most other games also support the classic controller. :shrug: Silly that this one doesn't.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

Kind've excited to check out Wind Waker HD though, not gonna lie. Skyward Sword's controls never clicked for me, not sure if my sensor bar was out of whack or if I just wasn't playing it "Right.", but I was constantly having to recenter the controls every few minutes after it misread several slashes. I died eight times in a row in the first dungeon on one enemy alone, all because a goddamn specific slash manoeuvre wouldn't work quickly enough. Might try it again, if I ever so gingerly come back to the zelda franchise.

Skyward Sword doesn't actually use the sensor bar, everything is gyro-based, including pointing.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So someone said that Tropical Freeze is better than Returns? Is that a general consensus among goons because the reviews were not so kind to it. Yes I trust you all more than reviews at this point, gatdam games journalism

Narcissus1916 posted:

gently caress Spirit Tracks though. In response to Phantom Hourglasses "easy" difficulty, Spirit Tracks is a bastard hard slog after the first few dungeons. The stylus controls aren't anywhere near up to the challenge, and really left a bad taste.
Huh, the difficulty was never really my problem with Spirit Tracks (well aside from the third floor of the Tower of Spirits). It seemed like they had this cool idea: New Hyrule, 100 years after TWW, steam trains are a thing, Daphnes wish is fulfilled... and yet it was the most by-the-numbers game in the series. Like they looked at the checkbox for 'what could we do new this time', wrote 'trains' and failed to elaborate.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 18, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Chaltab posted:

So someone said that Tropical Freeze is better than Returns? Is that a general consensus among goons because the reviews were not so kind to it. Yes I trust you all more than reviews at this point, gatdam games journalism
I would definitely say TF is better than Returns. It may not feel as fresh, I suppose, but it's significantly more varied than Returns, from environments, to music, to gameplay mechanics. I'd argue it's harder, as well (though I think the gold medals are easier). It is also nice that I do not feel like one or both of my arms are going to fall off after earning a gold medal. Bosses are still just as "ehhhhhhhhhh," as they were in Returns, except the amount of waiting during boss encounters in TF makes it so I've refused to gold medal them (except for one, possibly two, pretty solid fights). Too many rocket levels, not enough minecart levels. Overall, I dig it.

I am, however, still a little frustrated that they did not use that really nice remix of Stickerbrush Symphony outside of that one, extremely small area.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I am loving the current EU eshop music.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Narcissus1916 posted:

This usually means you were doing something wrong, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
It's too bad people have so much trouble figuring out any motion besides shaking the controller around. After the entire planet complained about waggle a game comes out with good motion controls and no one can do it

• Locked thread