Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, WOTC did a KOTOR sourcebook for the Saga edition, which also incorporated the pretty great KOTOR Dark Horse comics with Zayne Carrick and established that the canon protagonist for KOTOR II was a woman with handmaiden as a party member. (So, you know, a party configuration you couldn't actually have in the game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm not familiar at all with Shadowruns 4 or 5, but I seem to recall most elves being like everyone else, and the "smug hippy elf" commune nation being largely disliked in-fiction because they were stupid dicks.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm not familiar at all with Shadowruns 4 or 5, but I seem to recall most elves being like everyone else, and the "smug hippy elf" commune nation being largely disliked in-fiction because they were stupid dicks.

Oh, no, they're not just stupid dicks. Tir Taingere (AKA Oregon) isn't just a Lord of the Rings LARP that got a little out of hand, it's also an oppressive apartheid state. Great villians!

The downside is that in some of the earlier versions of the Tir, it was essentially impossible for Seattle-based runners to interact with it, because despite Portland being a massive trade hub, actually getting into or out of Portland with any kind of equipment was essentially impossible due to the Tir having implausibly good security, including spec-ops 'Ranger' teams on the border that would scoop up anyone trying to cross the border on foot, inject them with a memory-loss drug so you wouldn't even know why you lost, and dump you in the middle of the woods on the other side of the border. Later versions of the Tirs had them have a massive economic crash and they quietly reduced the Rangers to merely being a good spec ops team rather than a massive impossible-to-defeat GM Fiat bullshit team. Also, non-Elves could operate in the Tir now and get papers, even if they'd still get harassed for it.

Early Shadowrun had a lot of problems with writing material that had a protective coating of anti-PC bullshitinite.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I would not call Bioware's writing "very good," considering they think slavishly adhering to the Campbellian monomyth is quality writing and have recycled the same "warrior, mage, three to four planets, end boss world" structure for nearly every game they've made since KotOR 1.

tl;dr stop trolling, Arivia. :v:

Actually neither Mass Effect 2 nor Dragon Age 2 follow that format. Which is about the point the internet started getting a hate on for them.

I love Baldur's Gate 2, but I wouldn't trade present Bioware for old Bioware for all the rose tinted glasses in China.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Mass Effect 2 is a swell sequel that dispenses with a lot of the redundant RPG crap that bogs down the original (like Diablo loot), makes an intentional choice to flip the script on the tranquil Trek 'verse of the original to show us the forgotten/lost victims of the existing order and the dark underbelly, and has both a pretty dope narrative structure and some pretty dope themes. It also made the combat a lot better for a few reasons, not the least of which is that it actually defined the different classes - I wonder how many people don't realize or remember that the Infiltrator's cloak, for example, a feature everyone in the world would assume the game's "Rogue" class would have and which formed the cornerstone of its playstyle in the sequels, didn't exist in ME1. Please don't lump it in with Dragon Age 2, which really is a lovely sequel and a pretty terrible game!

I honestly don't think ME2 had much to do with public opinion turning against Bioware nearly as much as the DA2 fiasco, Mass Effect 3's lovely writing, and everything about the Old Republic MMO including the fact that it exists and KOTOR 3 doesn't. There are ME1 grognards who hated how the sequel was "dumbed down" because you no longer had to rifle through and organize a hundred suits of nearly identical armor, but I don't think they were a majority, and there are probably more of them on SA than the internet at large.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

FewtureMD posted:

Speaking of fantasy races, does anyone remember reading a thing from here about redone orcs? It basically described them as a constantly reincarnated race, birthed from a mysterious waterfall in the mountains. Since they have no concept of true death, they settle most of their conflicts violently. The realization that all the other races suffered true death was massively upsetting to the orcs.

Is this ringing any bells?

Huh, I actually wrote that. I'm surprised anyone remembered. I actually came up with the concept of that when playing Orcs Must Die, where the Orcs die in their droves while a) not really caring and b) being quite cheerful and talking about getting lunch afterwards. The idea of a species that would do that formed the idea of a literally immortal race who honestly held no grudges against anyone but would war endlessly. The vague plan for the campaign world was an Eberron style time setting, long after the standard medieval fantasy. The Orc Wars were a generation ago, and a lot of people died to let their tribes know that men and elves don't come back when we die.

Humans in the same writeup had the twist that crowd mentality was a literal thing. Humans had a shared emotional gestalt when there were sufficient numbers in one place. One person's strong enough emotion could turn other humans toward or against you, stereotypes perpetuated throughout the psyche and large atrocities against human populations provoked thousands of people into reflexively forming a crusade of retribution. Once a species warred with humanity it became very hard to ever find peace.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, your Orc write up was awesome, but I'm just massively in love with any positive spin on 'evil' races.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Dragon Age 2 is great, sorry.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Whats the best RPG ruleset for running a Cyberpunk style of game? Other than Shadowrun, I only know of a couple- the PbtA one thats floating around, I think there are a couple Savage World ones, Shadowrun, and ?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
d20 Future.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Whats the best RPG ruleset for running a Cyberpunk style of game? Other than Shadowrun, I only know of a couple- the PbtA one thats floating around, I think there are a couple Savage World ones, Shadowrun, and ?

Leverage.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Definitely leverage, which is the Cortex+ Action system if you want to use the generic rules from the hacker's guide.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Darwinism posted:

Yeah, as much as we might want things to be fully fleshed out there's essentially no way they'll ever be aside from either token differences or no-really-they're-alien differences. This isn't really bad, it's just what is, because no one's really going to read what amounts to an anthropology textbook on a race that still won't encompass the same amount of diversity found in humanity. So for the sake of playability things sort of need to be framed in generalizations.
You can do alien differences quite easily with a limited word count but you really can't be subtle. You have to establish some defining trait that makes them alien and then rely on people's imagination to pick up the slack.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Technoir if you want hardboiled-ish cyberpunk in the vein of the Marid Audran or Takeshi Kovacs novels, where the protagonists go out and do stuff to advance the plot. Leverage if you want a more lighthearted game focused more around heists.

Technoir is by far the best cyberpunk game out there.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Yeah, as much as we might want things to be fully fleshed out there's essentially no way they'll ever be aside from either token differences or no-really-they're-alien differences. This isn't really bad, it's just what is, because no one's really going to read what amounts to an anthropology textbook on a race that still won't encompass the same amount of diversity found in humanity. So for the sake of playability things sort of need to be framed in generalizations.

Ahem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Technoir if you want hardboiled-ish cyberpunk in the vein of the Marid Audran or Takeshi Kovacs novels, where the protagonists go out and do stuff to advance the plot. Leverage if you want a more lighthearted game focused more around heists.

Technoir is by far the best cyberpunk game out there.

d20 Future, god! :colbert:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Oh, wait, sorry.

GURPS.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Arivia posted:

d20 Future, god! :colbert:

If you run it, I will apply :3:

e: also the correct book is d20 Cyberscape.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I liked Mass Effect 1, really enjoyed Mass Effect 2, and didn't have a problem with 3.

Even the ending, while being dumb and lazy, wasn't the war crime that some folks made it seem. 3 still did a good job tying up loose plots over the course of the game.

I just like Mass Effect.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Doodmons posted:

Huh, I actually wrote that. I'm surprised anyone remembered. I actually came up with the concept of that when playing Orcs Must Die, where the Orcs die in their droves while a) not really caring and b) being quite cheerful and talking about getting lunch afterwards. The idea of a species that would do that formed the idea of a literally immortal race who honestly held no grudges against anyone but would war endlessly. The vague plan for the campaign world was an Eberron style time setting, long after the standard medieval fantasy. The Orc Wars were a generation ago, and a lot of people died to let their tribes know that men and elves don't come back when we die.

Humans in the same writeup had the twist that crowd mentality was a literal thing. Humans had a shared emotional gestalt when there were sufficient numbers in one place. One person's strong enough emotion could turn other humans toward or against you, stereotypes perpetuated throughout the psyche and large atrocities against human populations provoked thousands of people into reflexively forming a crusade of retribution. Once a species warred with humanity it became very hard to ever find peace.

Oh man that stuff is great! Do you still have a link to that writeup? I want to preserve it for later use.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

The Complete Book of Elves writeup in F&F is great, I will say that about the Complete books

MadScientistWorking posted:

You can do alien differences quite easily with a limited word count but you really can't be subtle. You have to establish some defining trait that makes them alien and then rely on people's imagination to pick up the slack.

Yeah, I was over-exaggerating there, but most systems with aliens do take the lazy way out. Though things like Star Wars are hampered by the entirety of canon consisting of alien races that're generally not very alien at all.

Also I thought DA2 was pretty drat fun and it would've been an amazing game if it'd had a decent amount of development time. You can see the rough outlines of them wanting to do things differently, but it was shoved out of the door before it was ready and so you have a horrible half-made mess that makes stock KotOR2 look polished and complete. But it's still better than the marathon of generic that was DA1.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Darwinism posted:

The Complete Book of Elves writeup in F&F is great, I will say that about the Complete books

Sweet jesus I never finished that, did I?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Sweet jesus I never finished that, did I?

Pretty sure that, at a certain point, everyone knows what the next post is gonna contain

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I remember the Beholder and Illithid books for 2E as actually pretty good for that sort of thing, too, especially if you think cultures for other species should be alien and weird.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, the Complete Book of Elves. The very first D&D book I ever read after the player's handbook. Even at 14 I could tell it was bullshit.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Complete Bard, otoh, is the best non-setting 2E supplement. Pictures of guys in flouncy shirts, information about weird medieval instruments, and the only appealing content to ever use the kit system.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All I really remember from the Complete Books is there was an entire section of the Complete Book of Dwarves all about Dwarf Standup.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Darwinism posted:

Yeah, I was over-exaggerating there, but most systems with aliens do take the lazy way out. Though things like Star Wars are hampered by the entirety of canon consisting of alien races that're generally not very alien at all.
I'm not going to disagree because for the most part it is a major problem I have with fantasy and science fiction in general. Hamfistedly using human stereotypes as a shortcut is just the epitome of bad writing for me nowadays.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Maltose posted:

All I really remember from the Complete Books is there was an entire section of the Complete Book of Dwarves all about Dwarf Standup.

I'm a sucker for any of the Complete books or anything like them because either they're legit good or they have something just dumb and funny in it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apparently everyone hates Dwarf Jokes because they take way too long, but if you gut it out they are bar none the best comedians of all. The term Punch-Paragraph was used.

I also remember that the complete book of thieves had a bunch of cool tools you'd never have any use for but by god now you could shatter glass without making noise!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My first PC ever in any RPG was a thief and by God I found excuses to use everything in that drat book as much as possible. Everyone else is all 'Let's just kick in the door' and I'm trying to carefully remove panes of glass and oil hinges and put on camo because I don't have anything else, I'm a second edition thief. It was a ton of fun, somehow.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can see a bunch of highly specific thieves' tools being vaguely useful in an OD&D "get the loot and get out while fighting as few monsters as possible" kind of campaign where they would essentially act in the same fashion as wizard spells, giving you the ability to simply declare things like "I can break glass without making noise" or "I make the hinges not squeak like the last three times goddamnit Bob."

In AD&D2E I'm somewhat more doubtful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Maltose posted:

Apparently everyone hates Dwarf Jokes because they take way too long, but if you gut it out they are bar none the best comedians of all. The term Punch-Paragraph was used.

I also remember that the complete book of thieves had a bunch of cool tools you'd never have any use for but by god now you could shatter glass without making noise!

See that just makes me wanna make a Dwarf bard specializing in that poo poo.

And yea my group is juuuust in the right line of spergy to make use of all those obscure and mostly pointless tools so we always got at least SOME use out of those kinds of books, even if it was just Jimmy the Rogue going 'oooh neat, look at this tool, I want it' and using it like, once to silently bust into a house for really no good reason when we could have gone in way easier ways but hey gently caress you he bought that stupid tool.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Swagger Dagger posted:

Oh, wait, sorry.

GURPS.

If you're going to suggest GURPS, can't you put a little more effort into the suggestion then just saying GURPS?

If someone wants to run Shadowrun in GURPS then use the Action! rules with the Dungeon Fantasy books. And then Ultratech and Magic where appropriate.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Action and Dungeon Fantasy are counteractive - DF is about making D&D-style dungeon crawls in GURPS, Action is about action/heist movies. Completely different genres.

I will however agree that near-future cyberpunk stuff is where GURPS excels, and suggest Thaumatology instead of Magic because GURPS' builtin magic system is awful.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doodmons posted:

Oh yeah, I remember this stuff! Very cool

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In lieu of our newest thread title: what fictional wizard would you most like to date?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Gandalf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Gandalf

efb

• Locked thread