Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

This was the same argument before TLOU came out. If you want it at 60, buy it at 60. If you want it cheaper, wait for it to become cheaper. It is not complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Seedge posted:

This was the same argument before TLOU came out. If you want it at 60, buy it at 60. If you want it cheaper, wait for it to become cheaper. It is not complicated.

Hopefully we have more digital sales going this generation forward. People must realize that if they keep reducing the price slowly over time, they'll capture even more sales. It's not that people aren't interested if your game, period but rather not interested at that price point.

I think Tomb Raider is a neat game for 30 bucks or less. Full price (original or remastered) wouldn't do it for me. Thankfully just about everything seems to go on sale. Except infamous so far and it's been out for like 4 months? (digital sale that is)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

NESguerilla posted:

There are literally like 30+ new games coming out in the Sleeping Dogs launch window. I have nothing against the game but almost no one is going to buy it again and why would they?

My gaming PC is still busted and unlike Saints Row The Third I find the PS3 version of Sleeping Dogs unwatchable, and I'd rather spend a small amount of money for the PS4 version which includes the DLC I haven't got before than to spend 1500€ to enjoy Sleeping Dogs on PC again. :colbert:

e: then I'd probably not buy Sleeping Dogs PS4 at launch since I probably will still be playing Destiny, but Sleeping Dogs in definitely on my to-buy list.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

A shitfit I'm not involved in? :aaa:

TLOU is really only worth it at $50 if you had not played it before or plan to play a lot of MP. I owned it on ps3 but never touched the MP. I've put lots of hours into the ps4 MP so that's totally worth the $50 to me.

People don't bat and eye paying $12 to go see a 1.5hr movie, but $50-$60 for a game you'll play more than 10 hours of? HELL NO I WONT GO

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Fateo McMurray posted:

TLOU is really only worth it at $50 if you had not played it before or plan to play a lot of MP. I owned it on ps3 but never touched the MP. I've put lots of hours into the ps4 MP so that's totally worth the $50 to me.

People don't bat and eye paying $12 to go see a 1.5hr movie, but $50-$60 for a game you'll play more than 10 hours of? HELL NO I WONT GO

I agree with the general gist of this, but comparing the monetary value of creative projects based purely on their runtime is horribly over-simplistic.

Also, do people really not bat an eye at theatre prices? Last I checked a lot of people hated how expensive movie screenings have become.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I go to the 11:00 am showing for a few reasons, but the biggest one is price. People stupidly pay 15 bucks to see the same movie on the same day that I pay 5.50 for. It blows my mind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

I go to the 11:00 am showing for a few reasons, but the biggest one is price. People stupidly pay 15 bucks to see the same movie on the same day that I pay 5.50 for. It blows my mind.

A lot of people are busy at 11AM at their job earning the money that lets them see movies at a more convenient time for them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

limaCAT posted:

than to spend 1500€ to enjoy Sleeping Dogs on PC again. :colbert:

You know a decent gaming PC (especially if you're just replacing a broken part of your existing PC) wouldn't cost you anything close to that, right?

Kirios posted:

You do know that many many people out there couldn't go to an 11 A.M. screening because of work, right? I'm going to lose a hell of a lot more than $9.50 if I take a day off to do so. Of course, I just don't go to the movies outside of Film Festival screenings anymore, I think the last movie I saw theatrically was Disney's Brave.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 18, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

BreakAtmo posted:

I agree with the general gist of this, but comparing the monetary value of creative projects based purely on their runtime is horribly over-simplistic.

I know, trying to keep it simple though.

For the people whining.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

And for all the people that did own it, Gamestop let you get it for $25 day 1.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I don't mind these remasters of console games, since otherwise they're locked in a perpetual 720p30 (or less) until 15 years from now when they figure out ps3 emulation. I don't think people realize the gulf between 1080p and 720p is almost as large as SD and 720. It's not just Huuurrrrrr HD -> HD

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

And for all the people that did own it, Gamestop let you get it for $25 day 1.

For all those that owned a physical copy that is

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Sleeping Dogs is pretty drat great and it's going to wow people with its great combat but it's just weird to see it get brought out for these machines now. Just hoping it becomes a profitable up-port project, it would be wrong if it didn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

For all those that owned a physical copy that is

Anyone buying digital should have already got it for half price at PS3 launch.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's 11:00 AM on Saturday people, come the gently caress on now I'm surprised I had to spell that out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kirios posted:

It's 11:00 AM on Saturday people, come the gently caress on now I'm surprised I had to spell that out.

Where the gently caress do you live that this is a thing? Everywhere I've lived, the "matinee" price is exclusively a weekday, non-holiday thing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Kirios posted:

A lot of people don't want/can't to go to a movie that early on the weekend, or are still working at that time, and even if they did there's only so many 11AM screenings per theatre (2, on the weekend. 2 is the maximum) which would fill up fast if everyone going to movies between 5PM-11PM on the weekdays decided to all save $5 and go on Saturday morning why is this even a stupid argument.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

univbee posted:

Where the gently caress do you live that this is a thing? Everywhere I've lived, the "matinee" price is exclusively a weekday, non-holiday thing.

Outside major cities

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

...I live in Houston, TX? Sorry that you people get a lovely deal at the theater.

Pleads posted:

A lot of people don't want/can't to go to a movie that early on the weekend, or are still working at that time, and even if they did there's only so many 11AM screenings per theatre (2, on the weekend. 2 is the maximum) which would fill up fast if everyone going to movies between 5PM-11PM on the weekdays decided to all save $5 and go on Saturday morning why is this even a stupid argument.

If people want to complain about theater prices being too expensive there's a really easy option. 11:00 AM isn't even that early and if you wait a week or two then there's maybe a dozen people in the theater at the most. You get prime seating, hardly anyone there, and I pay nearly a third of the price. It's a wonderful way to view a movie - I highly recommend it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's $10 once a week at most, who cares?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It's $10 once a week at most, who cares?

Well then this puts the whole remastered price debate to rest then doesn't it? It's only 10 dollars a week to wait for the game to go down in price by half within a month - why bother waiting? Get it day one all day every day.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Huh?

SORRY I BROUGHT UP MOVIE PRICES

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I'm a huge sucker and bought TLoU for the $50, even though I own it on PS3, but now I really like the MP and want to play with people. So, please, add sandwichestime to your PS4 today!

Who knows? Maybe we will become friends IRL too after really getting to know each other online, and then go see a $15 movie together, and I'll be the Godparent to one of your kids!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

What exactly are you taking about? Because there was no half-price sale that I remember. Unless you mean the digital version should've been cheaper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

Huh?

SORRY I BROUGHT UP MOVIE PRICES

If you bought anything digitally on the PS3 and didn't make use of game sharing splitting the price in half that's a whole lot of premium ticket movies you could have seen for that money.

Wonderllama posted:

I'm a huge sucker and bought TLoU for the $50, even though I own it on PS3, but now I really like the MP and want to play with people. So, please, add sandwichestime to your PS4 today!

Who knows? Maybe we will become friends IRL too after really getting to know each other online, and then go see a $15 movie together, and I'll be the Godparent to one of your kids!

You know I could never be friends with a Tampa fan.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If you wanna buy a remaster buy a remaster

If not then don't

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

Have you seen how expensive release day kids are?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

BreakAtmo posted:

What exactly are you taking about? Because there was no half-price sale that I remember. Unless you mean the digital version should've been cheaper.

Gamestop or someone had a "Save $25" thing if you traded in your copy of The Last of Us for PS3.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Aphrodite posted:

You know I could never be friends with a Tampa fan.

You are plagued by the shadow but one day you'll get into the light. One fine day

Also, you've already seen me drunk in GDTs, there's really no point at all in hearing me drunk as well.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

You are plagued by the shadow but one day you'll get into the light. One fine day

Also, you've already seen me drunk in GDTs, there's really no point at all in hearing me drunk as well.

Be my psn friend guy. I'm fateomcskippy you love me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm giving deep thought to buying GTA5 whenever it drops again though. Even when it was just taking a helicopter up on a skyscraper and sniping randoms listening to their voices panicing over communication through my scope, the multiplayer did what I wanted. Ten million PS4s out in the wild, 37+ million GTA5 sold on PS360, it's going to be a long lived bundle of joy.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Fateo McMurray posted:

Be my psn friend guy. I'm fateomcskippy you love me.

Do I dare disturb the universe?

I did, I do

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

I'm really looking forward to this same lovely discussion about remasters when GTA V comes out. Just don't buy it. It's really not that difficult.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

Gamestop or someone had a "Save $25" thing if you traded in your copy of The Last of Us for PS3.

I know that, he was talking about digital (and apparently game sharing, because I guess he expects everyone go through that hassle?).

BrownThunder posted:

I'm really looking forward to this same lovely discussion about remasters when GTA V comes out. Just don't buy it. It's really not that difficult.

I actually am getting that, because I always figured it was coming and decided to wait.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MrLonghair posted:

I'm giving deep thought to buying GTA5 whenever it drops again though. Even when it was just taking a helicopter up on a skyscraper and sniping randoms listening to their voices panicing over communication through my scope, the multiplayer did what I wanted. Ten million PS4s out in the wild, 37+ million GTA5 sold on PS360, it's going to be a long lived bundle of joy.

Maybe they'll finally add heists :lol:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BreakAtmo posted:

I know that, he was talking about digital (and apparently game sharing, because I guess he expects everyone go through that hassle?).

It was super easy and barely a hassle man

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Pleads posted:

Maybe they'll finally add heists :lol:

It's a re-release, not a sequel.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

FishBulb posted:

It was super easy and barely a hassle man

Not for me - I only know a couple of people with PS3s, they wouldn't be interested, and the fact that I use a foreign account and can only pay with PSN cards complicates things further.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If they don't have heists by the PS4 launch then it's probably safe to assume they'll never have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BrownThunder posted:

Hell, buying it the first time was a mistake.

• Locked thread