Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Conot posted:

That basically confirms for me that he is (speculation) Death Gun, because theres no way Kirito can have Sinon fall in love with him and not have it seem dickish unless Wimpy dude turns out to be a villain.
Didn't he do the same thing with that wimpy dude who was in love with Kirito's sister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
They could've cut that entire episode and nobody would've noticed.

Conot posted:

That basically confirms for me that he is (speculation) Death Gun, because theres no way Kirito can have Sinon fall in love with him and not have it seem dickish unless Wimpy dude turns out to be a villain.

Kiritio can't be Death Gun. I like this series because it's sort of grounded in reality (or whatever reality would be like if we had those fancy helmets) and that'd be a plot twist that'd defy SAO's logic. Being two people at the same... I don't think so. You can't even be two people at the same time in different games.

Xoidanor posted:

19 minutes of nothing followed by 1 minute of plot development. They sure pulled out all the stops in stretching this to 13 episodes. :psyduck:

The scene with Sinon and friendzoned dude literally dragged out for a third of the episode managed to establish that 'Sinon is mad' and 'Sinon is maybe a little less afraid of guns'. You forgot about that!

Also isn't this 24 episodes?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

There's another arc that's getting adapted once GGO ends (which realistically only needs 2 more episodes, 3 at most).

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

Didn't he do the same thing with that wimpy dude who was in love with Kirito's sister?

Correct every new girl also comes with a dude who ends up friend zoned because ~Kirito~

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Sword Art Online is a pretty bad show that I think I only continue to watch on the hopes that the spark of the first 14 episodes has not been completely lost.

I have hope in this loveless relationship SAO, but at least meet me halfway. I don't even understand what you're doing or why you're doing it.

Barakamon will make me feel better, Barakamon is always there for me.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I laughed when I saw that Jack Reacher was number 20 on the leaderboard.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

Kiritio can't be Death Gun. I like this series because it's sort of grounded in reality (or whatever reality would be like if we had those fancy helmets) and that'd be a plot twist that'd defy SAO's logic. Being two people at the same... I don't think so. You can't even be two people at the same time in different games.

I think he was talking about the friendzoned dude.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I feel like the intro certainly hints that the friend-dude (gently caress his name) is death gun. Shots are set up of real-world person, then their virtual counterpart. His turns into Death Gun with flames and poo poo. That's the entirety of my theory, but given anime, pretty sure that's enough.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The only thing that is keeping me from from straight up going "Friend-Zone is Death Gun" is the fact that since he's presumably a SAO survivor so he would be presumably be put alongside Kirito in Coma High School but he isn't.:shrug: I'm still pretty certain that Friend-Zone is Death Gun simply because I can think of a dozen reasons why he would not be at Coma High School.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, the "Death Gun is SAO survivor" thing has kinda thrown me a bit. That could mean it's someone we know from season 1, or it could be a nameless person Kirito never met. Hopefully for good storytelling it's someone we've seen from season 1, but gently caress do I know.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

sulphix posted:

I feel like the intro certainly hints that the friend-dude (gently caress his name) is death gun. Shots are set up of real-world person, then their virtual counterpart. His turns into Death Gun with flames and poo poo. That's the entirety of my theory, but given anime, pretty sure that's enough.

Their virtual counterparts appear alongside them, though. Death Gun is visually set apart by a wall of flame.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

OneDeadman posted:

The only thing that is keeping me from from straight up going "Friend-Zone is Death Gun" is the fact that since he's presumably a SAO survivor so he would be presumably be put alongside Kirito in Coma High School but he isn't.:shrug: I'm still pretty certain that Friend-Zone is Death Gun simply because I can think of a dozen reasons why he would not be at Coma High School.

Didn't it show Friend-Zone dude watching the tournament monitors after Kirito's first match, just seconds before Death Gun appeared? He's either very fast with character switching or someone else is controlling that character, some PK from SAO that Kirito met in the past but conveniently can't remember.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just a reminder the Sword Art game comes to all of us on our PS Vita's. If you love Kirito and his adventures like I do then you can purchase it on release tomorrow for 40 bucks and get right to marrying your favorite sister-cousin-blacksmith-little girl-waifus with an rpg attached to it. It's like playing Persona 4 again, but better because you're Kirito.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

sulphix posted:

Yeah, the "Death Gun is SAO survivor" thing has kinda thrown me a bit. That could mean it's someone we know from season 1, or it could be a nameless person Kirito never met. Hopefully for good storytelling it's someone we've seen from season 1, but gently caress do I know.

Or (this is just speculation, I haven't read the novels) Death Gun is not a SAO survivor, but someone who knows an SAO survivor. He was told all about what happened in Aincrad by his friend, and he decided that the bad guys (i.e.: Laughing Coffin) were way cool, and started imitating them down to the tattoo (I think most people who have played a MMORPG know someone like that).

That's also how he knows about Kirito, his friend told him that SAO was cleared by someone named Kirito who was really good with a sword.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Just a reminder the Sword Art game comes to all of us on our PS Vita's. If you love Kirito and his adventures like I do then you can purchase it on release tomorrow for 40 bucks and get right to marrying your favorite sister-cousin-blacksmith-little girl-waifus with an rpg attached to it. It's like playing Persona 4 again, but better because you're Kirito.

Can you skip that mechanic? I just want to kill things as a crazy dual wielding screaming dude.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I spent the weekend marathoning the series on crunchyroll, goddamn this is great when it wants to be. Now I want to go find my old .Hack stuff.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pyromancer posted:

Didn't it show Friend-Zone dude watching the tournament monitors after Kirito's first match, just seconds before Death Gun appeared? He's either very fast with character switching or someone else is controlling that character, some PK from SAO that Kirito met in the past but conveniently can't remember.

I thought about that, and my current theory is that Death Gun is a group alt for a bunch of Laughing Coffin survivors who feel the urge to keep killing people. So Friend Zone could be one of the guys who plays as Death Gun, he just didn't happen to be the one in charge at that exact moment.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Azubah posted:

Can you skip that mechanic? I just want to kill things as a crazy dual wielding screaming dude.

I have no clue as to how central the mechanic is to the actual game, so maybe?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Azubah posted:

I picked up a translated version about... four months ago and I can confirm that you can more or less tell everyone to stuff it when it comes to the creepy relationship drama. I'm reasonably sure you could complete the game without completing any of the relationship sub quests. You could also just party up with Klein the whole time so you don't even have to see them.

Every few floors they'll throw a big wall of text at you about how the group is doing a cooking event, or something stupid like that but you can skip them really easily if you give zero fucks like me.

The only exception to the above is that I think you need to complete a few of Lisebeth's plots to get the blacksmithing up to full rank for upgrading your weapons. Probably worth your time to do them just because its a bitch to upgrade if you don't.

Here is the basic plot if anyone is curious:

The game is a what-if set in Aincrad under the assumption that Kirito straight up beat Heathcliff in their duel due to a glitch. Heathcliff vanishes but the game isn't cleared as a result of the glitch. The group proceeds to floor 76 only to find out that they can't go back, so instead they focus on clearing the last 25 floors.

The glitches also allow him access to the Hollow Area, which is basically the developer beta area for SAO (The new Vita content). The hollow area has its own sub story there with a new waifu for Kirito to obsess over.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Sold.
English subs are still in the Taiwanese version, right? Or was a legit subbed US release announced since then?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tomorrow is the day the legit US version comes out.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cheers, I missed the news on that one.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

Sold.
English subs are still in the Taiwanese version, right? Or was a legit subbed US release announced since then?

Legit US version comes out right away. The region 3 version is still pretty solid, the glitchy translation is usually only used in out of the way conversations and random dialogue. I am picky when it comes to writing and I only noticed it once or twice.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Word on NeoGAF is that the translation is really bad in the Vita game and uses the glitchy translation.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's hardly surprising, I expected this to be pretty low effort.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

I thought about that, and my current theory is that Death Gun is a group alt for a bunch of Laughing Coffin survivors who feel the urge to keep killing people. So Friend Zone could be one of the guys who plays as Death Gun, he just didn't happen to be the one in charge at that exact moment.

I think it being a group alt is a tad bit overkill. I'd expect it to be a duo of one ingame guy and one out of game murderer both from SAO. We've already seen that people like Sinon and Klein are seemingly living alone and totally exposed to outside forces without any means of fighting back or getting their pizza. The Deathgun guy didn't even hit the bragging guy with his bullet to kill him, he shot a loving TV. It HAS to be outside the game somehow. They made a big deal about the entry into the tourney requiring real life information as well so more than likely this Death Gun guy is sitting there with binoculars scoping that poo poo out as it's entered. Kirito being safe from it because he didn't enter his poo poo. Whether or not this SAO survivor has gone all Charles Manson and made a cult that includes this friend zoned guy remains to be seen.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'll buy that. Needs some good timing for it to work as we've seen it, but it could be doable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SAO II's opening, Ignite, is now out in full (at least on Eir Aoi's Youtube account), and goddamn one can hate on SAO all one wants but the songs are beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTCESSzPZSw

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Was not expecting that particular Evangelion reference.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
well I bought the sword art online game, i'll post my impressions later. i'm guessing it will change my opinions of anime forever to the good, and I will be entranced by the engrossing story and why the gently caress have i done this

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

klapman posted:

well I bought the sword art online game, i'll post my impressions later. i'm guessing it will change my opinions of anime forever to the good, and I will be entranced by the engrossing story and why the gently caress have i done this

Tell us about all the women you make fall for you by being the misunderstood protagonist. :allears:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Google translate would find this laughable. Leafa and Sinon both fell out of random holes in the sky. A random girl appears out of nowhere that is apparently so sneaky even Kirito can barely sense her, and then sits on Kirito's lap and everyone gets mad at him. Hahahaha. Half the sentences have some kind of error, whether it be spelling or grammatical, for some reason there's character customization at the beginning even though you're still totally Kirito regardless of what you set your name to be, nothing makes sense.

I'm glad I got this with a gift card. Like this isn't even a case where "yeah if you like SAO you'll like it" because I love SAO and it's dumb poo poo and this game is still kinda garbage. Also for some reason when I walked out of a building about 80 characters appeared from a single spawning point and brought the FPS to like 2. It's really strange.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

(12): Hmm, maybe Death Gun is the third option on this multiple choice list that conspicuously has three options, oh and is also DIE in German this show is so stupid it's great.

Also, mod change my name to kaeeeede tia.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Eh, I was guessing Pale Horse (or was it Pale Rider? I forget already) was it until we saw him. Given that Death rides on a pale horse and all.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 24, 2014

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

AnacondaHL posted:

(12): Hmm, maybe Death Gun is the third option on this multiple choice list that conspicuously has three options, oh and is also DIE in German this show is so stupid it's great.

Also, mod change my name to kaeeeede tia.

Well, I mean there was also a guy literally named "Pale Rider" on that list so the guy named death gun might be the one not literally named after some form of death

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a MMO, suspecting someone because they have a ~dark and edgy~ name will not reduce your potential suspects by much. Also, as was said, Pale Rider had an equally if not even more suspicious name, considering...well, I don't know German, so I only got this one...

Also Kirito's freakouts are consistently the best part of this anime. His VA nails them every goddamn time, it's wonderful. We need more Kirito freaking out.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Kiritio somehow figuring out that he could evade the satellites by unequipping everything and swimming underwater and using it to sneak up on Sinon is a gigantic plot hole even by SAO's low standards. The combat made up for it though, I'm actually have high hopes for the main tournament, provided they keep the inane dialog and prolonged stares to a minimum (extremely unlikely, but there's always hope).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Kiritio somehow figuring out that he could evade the satellites by unequipping everything and swimming underwater and using it to sneak up on Sinon is a gigantic plot hole even by SAO's low standards.

I dunno man, hiding from the cameras seems like incredibly basic logic to me? No, the weird thing here is (as typical with SAO) not that Kirito figured it out, but that they portrayed him as a genius for doing something pretty simple.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Who said it's a camera? It's just a big radar everyone can use that for some reason they felt the need to explain the inner workings of even though radars are in basically every shooter ever without explanation. Swimming completely butt naked underwater to evade it isn't obvious at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Kirito didn't know swimming underwater would have that effect either. The way I understood it is that removing the gear was needed to swim and he just swam to avoid other players spotting him directly. He only learned about it when Sinon told him he wasn't on the map.

• Locked thread