Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Blacula posted:

Yep playing forumwarrior was a whole lot better than playing mechwarrior

Except now playing forum warrior and not playing the game is bannable because reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Thread is bad and you all are bad.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Why am I playing this? What mech should I get with my 10 mil chills? How should I commit suicide for dishonoring myself?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Kazvall posted:

Why am I playing this?

You tend to make poor life choices.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kazvall posted:

Why am I playing this? What mech should I get with my 10 mil chills? How should I commit suicide for dishonoring myself?

Because you are a mental. Wait a bit for the nova to be available for cbills and buy that. Kill yourself by overheating and shutting down (put head in oven).

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Fil5000 posted:

Wait a bit for the nova to be available for cbills and buy that. Kill yourself by overheating and shutting down (put head in oven).

The first leads directly to the second.

Game continues to be unfun when not with goons. gently caress timezones. gently caress Paul.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I buy mechs on looks only. Which mech is the most serviceable while being dead sexy? The nova looks faggy and I refuse to clan mech. The victory is much sweeter while piloting a piece of poo poo. This is why I use the yen-low-tee

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I am starting this back up. I got in when it first came out. Played a month or two and got bored. Now I am interested in this again. TL;DR for what I have missed?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So I am starting this back up. I got in when it first came out. Played a month or two and got bored. Now I am interested in this again. TL;DR for what I have missed?

Pretty much nothing.

A bunch of mechs and few maps were added to the game, plenty of cash-grab early-access bundles, a bunch of retarded overly-complex balancing mechanics to solve problems that simple weapon tweaks may have solved that didn't really end up working anyways. UI 2.0 finally came out and really didn't improve much. Matches got upped to 12v12 which honestly feels worse on every map that isn't Alpine (which is still a poo poo map.) LRMS swinging between "poo poo" and "OP poo poo." several times if memory serves.

Kazvall posted:

I buy mechs on looks only. Which mech is the most serviceable while being dead sexy? The nova looks faggy and I refuse to clan mech. The victory is much sweeter while piloting a piece of poo poo. This is why I use the yen-low-tee

Yen-lo-Wang is a bad/dumb mech and you should feel bad.

Have no idea what's good these days, but I have a lot of love/nostalgia for the Hunchback. Reminds me of the days where this game was fun. Also beta before engine limits.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kazvall posted:

"What should I spend my cbills on?"
"Here is an idea."
"No, here are a bunch of other criteria I didn't mention before"

YOU ARE THE WORST KAZVALL

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Finally got my free mechbay after numerous disconnects. Not sure if it was Comcast or PGI loving up--a number of people were reporting laggy/bad connections.

I will say that this "challenge" was better put together than the last one. Counting assists actually made it feasible and not just a massive roll of the dice that I get the killshot.

Also remembering how to play again with effective twisting and moving around. Assaults are pretty lovely at getting anywhere that's not a perfectly flat paved road--the canyons map is total bullshit.

Currently have 3 cents, 3 jaegers, and 3 atlases (atlai?). Any suggestion for a new chassis?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Dragons.

Non comedy answer, Firestarters are fun little lights. If you have mc banked (you should not have mc) the ember is solid.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddammit. This is all your faults. I'm contemplating reinstalling. Help me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

"What should I spend my cbills on?"
"Here is an idea."
"No, here are a bunch of other criteria I didn't mention before"

YOU ARE THE WORST KAZVALL

You should know the depths of my sin by now motherfucker. I'm ocd with my Roberts.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Jenners look sexy and are fun little space robbits if you don't mind piloting a light. Hunchbacks are also quiet nice looking, cause they got that stompy look and feel. Both have a lot of hardpoints rather high up on the chassis, so you don't end up shooting into the ground instead of hitting your target... like on many of the mechs carrying a lof of weapons on arms that are stuck just dangling down useless form the side of the torso. Those are two of my favorite 'look' mechs.

But I'm not a good person to ask for Mech advice, cause I also pilot a Yen-Lo-Wang sometimes which disqualifies me to answer any serious mechwarrior related questions.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Running around and shooting larger mechs in the arse was the best part of MWO before you know all the bad parts.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kazvall posted:

You should know the depths of my sin by now motherfucker. I'm ocd with my Roberts.

Since trial mechs are now the champion editions, you can try a mech and get a feel for how it might actually perform if made by someone who understood how the game works.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Since trial mechs are now the champion editions, you can try a mech and get a feel for how it might actually perform if made by someone who understood how the game works.

OK cool. Also, I have a founders Jenner, atlas, etc so I have some decent mechs I guess.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm seeing lots of talk about playing again, but little talk about actually playing.

I played two rounds. It was dumb. No one else has to try now. I'm telling you all it's still dumb.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fender posted:

I'm seeing lots of talk about playing again, but little talk about actually playing.

I played two rounds. It was dumb. No one else has to try now. I'm telling you all it's still dumb.

This is the natural cycle of post-Golden Age MWO:

"I really want to play a robot game. Maybe MWO wasn't as bad as I remember."

reinstall

play 2 rounds

uninstall

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Well us goons won like 9 out of 10 matches last night. The only thing that really pissed me off was narc and tag, otherwise I pretend each mech is the same and I'm having fun.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Come on and hate yourself. Will be on the mumble in 30 minutes shouting danger close a lot.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I've been playing some. It's silly and the pubbies are the worst out of all the games I've ever played. Every match: "o7 glhf" devolves into "poo poo team, lrm noobs". That said I'm at least having fun. I enjoy LRM boating, but I seem to lose locks easily. What are ways to help that?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Propagandist posted:

I've been playing some. It's silly and the pubbies are the worst out of all the games I've ever played. Every match: "o7 glhf" devolves into "poo poo team, lrm noobs". That said I'm at least having fun. I enjoy LRM boating, but I seem to lose locks easily. What are ways to help that?

Having a human being raven narc and tag your targets.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Propagandist posted:

The Target Decay module let's you maintain locks a little longer when you lose LoS, but if your target is running the Radar Deprivation module your lock is instantly broken when he breaks LoS, trumping Target Decay.

Your other options are TAG, NARC, or a friendly light to do that for you.

Really the key to lurming is to get your own locks, don't be that guy 1000m back asking for people to make locks for you. Get close (but use pubbies for cover) and rain angry bees on your enemies and harvest their tears because pubbies are too dumb to seek cover.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Thronde posted:

Goddammit. This is all your faults. I'm contemplating reinstalling. Help me.

Remember everything you used to love about roberts? Remember all the creative ways to grief, the gimmick builds you used to run that could actually be both fun and occasionally accidentally useful? Remember when there were non-zero odds of good things to come?

All of that was removed more than a year ago and all of the stupid poo poo you could previously ignore has been amplified and codified as a 'feature.'

Still feel like playing? If so, it's time to call the battered spouse hotline.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

imperialparadox posted:

The Target Decay module let's you maintain locks a little longer when you lose LoS, but if your target is running the Radar Deprivation module your lock is instantly broken when he breaks LoS, trumping Target Decay.

Your other options are TAG, NARC, or a friendly light to do that for you.

Really the key to lurming is to get your own locks, don't be that guy 1000m back asking for people to make locks for you. Get close (but use pubbies for cover) and rain angry bees on your enemies and harvest their tears because pubbies are too dumb to seek cover.

Yeah, Target Decay is great for LRM bots. I usually pack a TAG as well so I can burn through an ECM blanket. NARC is Actually Useful now, but given that it requires a missile hardpoint you'll want to have a buddy NARC out your enemies rather than equip one yourself.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, Target Decay is great for LRM bots. I usually pack a TAG as well so I can burn through an ECM blanket. NARC is Actually Useful now, but given that it requires a missile hardpoint you'll want to have a buddy NARC out your enemies rather than equip one yourself.

Isn't that like million of CBills? Looks like I've got some grinding to do

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oxyclean posted:

A bunch of mechs and few maps were added to the game, plenty of cash-grab early-access bundles, a bunch of retarded overly-complex balancing mechanics to solve problems that simple weapon tweaks may have solved that didn't really end up working anyways. UI 2.0 finally came out and really didn't improve much. Matches got upped to 12v12 which honestly feels worse on every map that isn't Alpine (which is still a poo poo map.) LRMS swinging between "poo poo" and "OP poo poo." several times if memory serves.

This should go in the OP.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Propagandist posted:

Isn't that like million of CBills? Looks like I've got some grinding to do

Yeah. Modules are stupid expensive in both GXP and CBills--which actually just illuminates how dumb PGI are: they even screwed up cash grabs.

When they debuted modules you couldn't directly convert MC to CB, and yet they made these modules more expensive than most Mech chassis. So you either had to grind it up over 30+ matches, or you had to buy a chassis with MC and resell it for CB. Had they just had an alternate MC price for them (or even included the MC-->CB converter from jump) it would have at least been a straightforward impulse transaction. But odds are you had to jump through a lot of hoops for a useful customization.

That most modules are crap doesn't help.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon
So I thought maybe I'd hop in my old Jeager-DD build, the one with max armor and 4 AC/2s and enough ammo to kill God, and take it out for a spin

turns out they decided to nerf AC/2s, because apparently a six-ton weapon with some of the lowest damage per shot and craziest ghost heat penalties in the game was the real problem all along

what the gently caress is wrong with PGI

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Professor Awesome posted:

I believe PGI are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

What about targeting computers? Worth it for LRMs, or just laser/projectile builds, or not at all?

If they are worth it, should I be trying to slot the biggest/heaviest one I can? I know the game has tooltips, but considering that tooltips often lie, at least in War Thunder.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. Modules are stupid expensive in both GXP and CBills--which actually just illuminates how dumb PGI are: they even screwed up cash grabs.

When they debuted modules you couldn't directly convert MC to CB, and yet they made these modules more expensive than most Mech chassis. So you either had to grind it up over 30+ matches, or you had to buy a chassis with MC and resell it for CB. Had they just had an alternate MC price for them (or even included the MC-->CB converter from jump) it would have at least been a straightforward impulse transaction. But odds are you had to jump through a lot of hoops for a useful customization.

That most modules are crap doesn't help.

Plus good luck finding your module somewhere in your 20+ mechs.

I've never minded the actual gameplay, even ghost heat and 3pv don't bother me, but hoooooly poo poo that mechlab UI

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Kazvall posted:

Having a human being raven narc and tag your targets.

I just happen to have a human being raven and need to grind cbills for a jenner. Someone PM me the old fleet info for the mumble so I can get up inz tonight as I try to stay up until 2AM since I work late tomorrow.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Professor Awesome posted:

So I thought maybe I'd hop in my old Jeager-DD build, the one with max armor and 4 AC/2s and enough ammo to kill God, and take it out for a spin

turns out they decided to nerf AC/2s, because apparently a six-ton weapon with some of the lowest damage per shot and craziest ghost heat penalties in the game was the real problem all along

I get this feeling that the devs get to see each posters' spending habits at the forum so they only listen to the ones owning gold mechs while they ignore the ones below a certain threshold of spending. Gotta keep the whales happy while serve the free-moochers as their easy targets!

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

wid posted:

I get this feeling that the devs get to see each posters' spending habits at the forum so they only listen to the ones owning gold mechs while they ignore the ones below a certain threshold of spending. Gotta keep the whales happy while serve the free-moochers as their easy targets!

This wouldn't surprise me in the least. Nico has shown several times that if you disagree with him, he will dig through your play history and pull up some annoying factoid and be all :smuggo: "YEAH WELL YOUR BUYING THE DIRE WHALE CLAN PACKAGE MAKES YOUR POINT IRRELEVANT!"

STFU Niko.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren:

Are you a jaded bitter vet? Do you want to play with familiar faces and have actually working infrastructure?

Good news: We've set up some dedicated server space for you terrible addicts. First register an account on the Scientology Forums and then follow the steps over at FLJK under 'enlist'. For your clearance code enter "Sexy BULBASAUR 69" and in the comments write "MWO Refugee" or "Homo for robo" or "I hate myself" and you will be approved within a day or so. Then you can mech using new dedicated infra- we have a thread about terrible mechs, the_nest is still alive and full of crushed dreams, the wiki works, and there is a mumble. I will not play with you, however.

The old WOL infra is archived and no longer supported after we migrated to FLJK. Play there all you like, but your mileage may be limited.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bulbasaur... why do you enable these unfortunate, battered souls. We should be convincing them to get help, not perpetuating the cycle of abuse. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
As soon as you register there is a giant popup with a number to a suicide hotline

• Locked thread