Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Ohh, that's tempting. Looks like it'd be $450 as a newbie for 2 days? That's a lot cheaper than trackmasters was. What would I register my car as, it's bone stock aside from the wheels. I can't seem to find the specifications that differentiate the different Touring tiers.

e; Thanks for the heads up, by the way.

You should get a discount if your a first time com'er as well. Comscc.org has an excel sheet on the rules page for touring class's. If your car is stock just pic your car from the list and skip all the modification pages.

Also garages are usualy dirt cheap and wgi is no diff, its 25 a day, cant beat that.

If you do go im registered and will be there both days, #281 white subie, prob onjack stands, as it loves to break at events (infact i lost a cv joint at an autox today)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Crustashio posted:

Used my NT01s and beat my previous lap record by almost 2 seconds. Not bad for tires with ~40 autoX runs by me and 4 trackdays on the POs 335i.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFMnK7bqlmI

What track is that? Looks very fun with the elevation changes

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

rotard posted:

You should get a discount if your a first time com'er as well. Comscc.org has an excel sheet on the rules page for touring class's. If your car is stock just pic your car from the list and skip all the modification pages.

Also garages are usualy dirt cheap and wgi is no diff, its 25 a day, cant beat that.

If you do go im registered and will be there both days, #281 white subie, prob onjack stands, as it loves to break at events (infact i lost a cv joint at an autox today)

Cool, thanks for the info. I live up in Buffalo, so I'm considering just getting a hotel nearby, rather than driving 6 hours round trip twice. Any particular reason I should get a garage spot instead?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Devyl posted:

Just thought I'd swing by here and let any local/nearby Bowling Green AIers know that the NCM track will be opening on the 28th of this month. Lots of things going on the first three days, but on the 28th they're doing a free Chevy Ride N' Drive event from 10:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will also include one free lap around the track in a C7 Stingray via professional driver.

NCM looks amazing and will probably worth a trip from Wisconsin to Kentucky for me.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rotard posted:

What track is that? Looks very fun with the elevation changes

Atlantic Motorsport park. The only road course east of Quebec. Luckily its a really fun course, although the surface condition leaves a lot to be desired.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
AMP is getting a bunch of resurfacing done this winter, so it should be a little less bumpy. The contractor that did it last year made a mess of T5 entry. It's really affected things for the bikes.

1:18's ain't too bad though! I think the race prepped M3's are getting into the 1:15-1:16 area, so that's pretty impressive.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. I live up in Buffalo, so I'm considering just getting a hotel nearby, rather than driving 6 hours round trip twice. Any particular reason I should get a garage spot instead?

Im getting a garage as it always seems to be blisteringly hot, or raining at track days. Nither of which i enjoy working on my car in. Im also getting a hotel as even though i like camping, a bed is mighty nice after a day of lapping. Be sure to mention comscc with a hotel if you do go, i got what we figure to 30% off pre-tax a night

Crustashio posted:

Atlantic Motorsport park. The only road course east of Quebec. Luckily its a really fun course, although the surface condition leaves a lot to be desired.

It does look fun, and would give me an excuse to try the nova star out to get up there

rotard fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 19, 2014

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I had my first SCCA race weekend on the 9th and 10th at The Ridge. It went pretty well and I had a great time. Everyone at the track was super nice and helpful too. My girlfriend came with me and helped me out a ton by being my pit crew for the weekend. She would help me get buckled in the car, rip the pull starter, and help prep between sessions. It definitely minimized the stress level for the weekend. I also made a 2 part foam seat insert that she helped me with. That made an enormous difference when driving the car. I was sliding around in the car before so it was impossible to get comfortable and feel whats going on with the car. With the insert I was able to focus on the driving and push the car more. I only had one spin the whole weekend coming into the ridge complex. I tried to brake a little later since I felt like I was braking to early everywhere. I ended up braking too late and was still on them into the turn, which doesn't work too well with a solid rear axle. The only issue I had all weekend was on the last race on sunday. On the Second lap I noticed that the engine wasn't revving up all the way to 7400rpm like it had been all weekend, it was now sticking at 6800. So I was really down on power. Then coming around turn 11 I lost power and the engine sounded like poo poo. I checked my guages and saw that my left cylinder was at 200F and the right one was 1150F like normal. So that ended my race but I was able to drive it back to my pit on the one cylinder that was left. I'm hoping I either fouled a plug or the floats got stuck in the carb. The compression was the same on both when I checked it last weekend.

With how much fun I had racing my own car I decided that I'm done doing Lemons races for awhile. The costs ended up being about the same since I only had to pay the entry fee and fuel. I also didn't have to deal with driver changes or even finding drivers for that matter. I got a bit less seat time than I would get on a 4 person team but about the same as a 5 person team. I'll probably still crew for my friends at lemons if they race at the ridge since it's close by though.

I didn't get much good footage since some people are terrible at getting usuable video. My JVC Adixxion wouldn't record anything and would eventually shut off too. I'm not sure why it wasn't getting anything since it would show that it's recording when I'd leave the pits. I'm wondering if there was just too much vibration or if the camera is damaged somehow. I'll have to see what the other F500 guys are using for video. My dad got some aerial footage with his DJI Vision quadcopter that I'll get from him this weekend. All sorts of people would come and ask him about the quadcopter when he'd fly it around. I was really impressed with it. Anyways I only have one short clip so far and no pictures. I'm going to see if I can get in contact with the photographer that was at the track for some good pictures.

http://youtu.be/YfJkImHKMKo?list=UUVQnAkQs9rte9dKmL7jB2kw

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone here use recaro pole positions or sparco evos? I'm looking for a quick measurement on each seat and there aren't really any local cars to check.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
poo poo just got real. I guess I should finish building this thing and get a log book for it at some point now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

Anyone here use recaro pole positions or sparco evos? I'm looking for a quick measurement on each seat and there aren't really any local cars to check.

I have an older evo 2 xl in my e30 but you can get all of those dimensions from the manufacturer's website.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I need the side harness hole length x width which isn't on any of the manufacturer dimension charts that I can find.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
crush> you just want the size of the holes? or their relative location on the seat?

For anyone running 15" wheels, great price on AD08's if you are looking for tires

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/rebates/

Double rebates if you have a discount tire direct credit card

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R
205/50R15 86V BSW

rebates

75x2
60x2

576 - 270 = $306 before taxes, free shipping is included.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Are NT01s out of stock everywhere or just DTD? I can't find a set at a place that will actually complete my order.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get Maxxis RC-1s instead.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BraveUlysses posted:

crush> you just want the size of the holes? or their relative location on the seat?

Just the size of the holes.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Just the size of the holes.

Pole positions are 3.25x1.35 (max dimensions) with semicircular ends that reduce the opening size at the corners.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 23, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SlapActionJackson posted:

Pole positions are 3.25x1.35 (max dimensions) with semicircular ends that reduce the opening size at the corners.

Awesome, thanks!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone looking for a track car at the moment? I'd pick it up but my garage is full and I have too many projects at the moment.

Friend is selling a E30 track car that was run in Chump Car for a few years. Very strong M20, Cosmo coilovers on Bilstien or KYB shocks, Hans Recaro seat, full cage. Clean title, no windows (has windscreen) or blinkers. Body is a bit rough, especially the rear quarters. He's asking $4k.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Got any photos?

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone looking for a track car at the moment?

Location?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Knew I forgot something, car is located in Minneapolis. I emailed for more pictures, will post them once he gets back to me.

For now here's the craigslist ad - http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4639512770.html

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Have sent that link to the rest of the JAB crew (ie the ones who live in the Twin Cities).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What is there for tracks near Buffalo in Canada? I just got a passport, wonder if there's anything closer than Watkins Glen :)

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Mosport is north of Buffalo across the lake

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Aurune posted:

Beware, it's a addiction. It starts with a track day. Then a few car mods. Soon you are looking at racing schools. A little speed is never enough.

Edit: confession: This year, I said I'd do 3 race weekends. I've done 5 and have signed up for at least one more.

So true, and it completely changes your perspective on driving. Lime Rock is my "local" track, and even the route to it is a great drive.

My own confession is that I regularly go fishing and eat lunch at a little diner in Canaan, which is about an hour from me and most of the way to LR, even though I have a much better diner about a mile from my home and several great fishing spots that I can walk to.

We're big on diners in the NE. I have no idea why.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Mosport is north of Buffalo across the lake

But I guess that's 20 miles further unless you took a ferry or something... The Google tells me there's a Toronto Motorsports Park 50 miles west of Buffalo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bumming Your Scene posted:

But I guess that's 20 miles further unless you took a ferry or something... The Google tells me there's a Toronto Motorsports Park 50 miles west of Buffalo.

Yea it's like slightly further than Watkins :v:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I start to feel like I'm finally getting close to driving the car properly, but then I watch a video of a buddy in a fairly comparable car that is 3s/lap faster than me.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

FatCow posted:

I start to feel like I'm finally getting close to driving the car properly, but then I watch a video of a buddy in a fairly comparable car that is 3s/lap faster than me.

Solution: drive some weirdo car no one tracks and feel better about yourself even if you're 10 seconds off pace in your class

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Or do what I did. Get a car in a class that no one races in and set a track record at a new track during your first race weekend. I also always win my class of 1 at autocross.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Solution: drive some weirdo car no one tracks and feel better about yourself even if you're 10 seconds off pace in your class

You joke but there are two guys in my region who spend BIG $$$ to race regionally in Formula Atlantic and Formula Speed. They're always the only cars in their class. I assume they have to race the majors too, and seat time is seat time but I'm sure it'd be cheaper to run test days.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Aurune posted:

You joke but there are two guys in my region who spend BIG $$$ to race regionally in Formula Atlantic and Formula Speed. They're always the only cars in their class. I assume they have to race the majors too, and seat time is seat time but I'm sure it'd be cheaper to run test days.

Racing SCCA regionals (At least NER) in anything other than a Spec Miata at this point is almost a "Why bother" with the dwindling fields. :sigh:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Also is anyone doing Thompson at the end of this month with COM?

I'll be there with my mostly replaced drivetrain and vented hood, I have my competition cut out for me:

52 Octopus Magic 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX T70 Paid
54 Lou M 2002 Chevrolet Camaro T70 Paid
55 Rich 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 T70 Paid
56 Richard M 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra T70 Paid
57 Tise Jr 2007 Ford Shelby GT T70 Paid

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Saddly no, my clutch is toast from wgi, im t80 anyhow. Are you planning nhms?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

Also is anyone doing Thompson at the end of this month with COM?

I'll be there with my mostly replaced drivetrain and vented hood, I have my competition cut out for me:

52 Octopus Magic 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX T70 Paid
54 Lou M 2002 Chevrolet Camaro T70 Paid
55 Rich 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 T70 Paid
56 Richard M 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra T70 Paid
57 Tise Jr 2007 Ford Shelby GT T70 Paid

My miata is T70 prepare to get owned scrub

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

rotard posted:

Saddly no, my clutch is toast from wgi, im t80 anyhow. Are you planning nhms?

Yeah, I'm planning on it, and my Dad is going to dual drive it with me if everything goes well @ Thompson. Hopefully everything will go ok, and I just have to check the oil + tire pressures. It's been a lot of effort and not a lot of reward so far, so I'm looking forward to it.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Since the chumpcar/lemons thread seems so dead I'll try here. I have a couple of seats open in my chumpcar (Apex of Failure a 87 rx7 gxl) for the October chumpcar race in Portland. Probably going to be in the $650 range for fees. Depending on luck, should be able to get at least two long stints in. Due to likely weather conditions and wall situation at portland drivers with previous experience preferred. We could use some fresh blood. Anyone interested?

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

parid posted:

Since the chumpcar/lemons thread seems so dead I'll try here. I have a couple of seats open in my chumpcar (Apex of Failure a 87 rx7 gxl) for the October chumpcar race in Portland. Probably going to be in the $650 range for fees. Depending on luck, should be able to get at least two long stints in. Due to likely weather conditions and wall situation at portland drivers with previous experience preferred. We could use some fresh blood. Anyone interested?

Yes. Local, experienced racer. Sterndotstern at gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I need to clean up wiring in my track car. What do people like for in car wire wrap? Spiral wrap is cheap, but I imagine that would be a huge pain in the rear end to install. I'm not worried about under hood just yet, but that's probably next.