Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In my circle of friends the popular myth was that the scene where cat gets shot in The Boondock Saints was entirely an accident and that cat really did die.

Knowing what I now do about Troy Duffy that isn't even that far-fetched anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

red19fire posted:

My psychology teacher in high school was pretty lazy, so we watched Memento like 4 times. Supposedly Nolan's original cut was sequential, but when he watched it he realized that the major denouement was in the beginning, so he recut it at the last minute to run 'backwards.'

No, the script was actually written with the scenes in reverse order.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Erebus posted:

Happy accidents and coincidence seem more magical than deliberate planning. See the lists of "15 movie scenes you didn't know were improvised!!!" that regularly make the rounds on the Internet, even when half of them are bullshit (like the guy throwing a beer can at Malkovich in Being John Malkovich supposedly just being some random rear end in a top hat driving by).

Wait, so was that an accident or not??

Also reminds me of the Simpsons episode where the find the alternate ending reel for Casablanca, where they beat up Hitler, and then it ends with the title, "The End...?"

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Erebus posted:

Happy accidents and coincidence seem more magical than deliberate planning.

Oh, absolutely, I understand the logic behind why those stories propagate. I was just curious if there was ever an actual instance of it happening.

Also, how sad is it that we have an entire category of urban legends that attempt to explain away creativity.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Wait, so was that an accident or not??

Not. Re-read his post and pay particular attention to the word bullshit.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, there's simply no way that it wouldn't have been planned that way from the start.

Erebus posted:

Happy accidents and coincidence seem more magical than deliberate planning. See the lists of "15 movie scenes you didn't know were improvised!!!" that regularly make the rounds on the Internet, even when half of them are bullshit (like the guy throwing a beer can at Malkovich in Being John Malkovich supposedly just being some random rear end in a top hat driving by).

There are a few large scale happy accidents that are actually true, like Annie Hall not being initially written or filmed as a romantic comedy.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Hey, this thread is a safe zone!! Don't be a meanie.

The reason I think it's not bullshit is because Spike Jonze says it's a true story on the DVD commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lSUz0Hn10

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Wasn't trying to be mean. Sorry if it came across that way.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Ninja posted:

The reason I think it's not bullshit is because Spike Jonze says it's a true story on the DVD commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lSUz0Hn10

:ssh: The original DVD of Being John Malkovich didn't have a director's commentary.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:ssh: The original DVD of Being John Malkovich didn't have a director's commentary.

That's an awesome prank.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

We had a lot of movie days in that class. Rather than read the chapter about amnesia, we watched Memento.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Jesus loving christ. I don't know if every category they use to sort movies is automatically generated, and which categories are chosen to be displayed, but I loving can't stand it when I use Netflix, either on my PC or through my PS3, and the "New Movies" and "Recently Added" aren't there. Those categories should ALWAYS be there. And when they are there, they should be right at the top, not buried separately somewhere in the middle of everything.

How about when your loving queue isn't there?

gently caress you, Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just got free HBO with my cable service, which gives me a year of HBO Go for free. I'm looking for a list of shows to work through, kind of like a Best of HBO.

I know Game of Thrones is huge right now, but I'm currently reading the first book, so I'm going to wait for that one.

I've also seen Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Flight of the Conchords, which are some of my favorite shows.

I've heard True Detective is good, and someone said it's like my favorite show of all time, Twin Peaks. Any other good recommendations?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Franchescanado posted:

I just got free HBO with my cable service, which gives me a year of HBO Go for free. I'm looking for a list of shows to work through, kind of like a Best of HBO.

I know Game of Thrones is huge right now, but I'm currently reading the first book, so I'm going to wait for that one.

I've also seen Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Flight of the Conchords, which are some of my favorite shows.

I've heard True Detective is good, and someone said it's like my favorite show of all time, Twin Peaks. Any other good recommendations?

Deadwood, Rome, and Bored to Death.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Generation Kill s made by hbo and I loved it, but I've no idea if you can get it on your free thing.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Also for HBO, if it's not obvious, The Wire. For comedy, Extras can be great.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Feel free to skip GOT and watch The Wire and Deadwood.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap. The Wire is on HBOGO? How did I never notice that before? I know what I'm doing on vacation next week.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's on HBO Go and Prime Video!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Generation Kill, Deadwood, Extras for sure. The first few seasons of Big Love are actually really good too.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Franchescanado posted:

The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood and Rome.

Also, Silicon Valley is hilarious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Generation Kill, Deadwood, Extras for sure. The first few seasons of Big Love are actually really good too.

The first two seasons and the last, I think are the good seasons of Big Love.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't watch Extras or Entourage for god's sake.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Extras is pretty good if you just watch the Patrick Stewart and Bowie bits on YouTube.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Extras is pretty good if you just watch the Patrick Stewart and Bowie bits on YouTube.

Why would you waste your time watching Extras when Ali G show exists? Why would you bother with GOT when Deadwood exists? Fill your head with the good poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

The Daniel Radcliffe episode was pretty good too.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I enjoyed the episode with Ben Stiller.

Basically, Extras improves hugely in quality whenever Ricky Gervais is off-screen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Feel free to skip GOT and watch The Wire and Deadwood.

Or, if you like good things, watch all three

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Franchescanado posted:

Band of Brothers and The Pacific are available as part of Amazon Prime's HBO collection so they might be available on HBO Go as well. Both are awesome and you should watch them!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Or, if you like good things, watch all three

Nah mate.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's almost like people can possibly like things you don't :psyboom:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on my phone so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure Angels In America is on HBOgo and it is phenomenal. It and You Don't Know Jack are the last times Al Pacino gave a poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm on my phone so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure Angels In America is on HBOgo and it is phenomenal. It and You Don't Know Jack are the last times Al Pacino gave a poo poo.

It is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

It's almost like people can possibly like things you don't :psyboom:

Impossible.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

pahuyuth posted:

Band of Brothers and The Pacific are available as part of Amazon Prime's HBO collection so they might be available on HBO Go as well. Both are awesome and you should watch them!

Band of Brothers is the most overrated thing I've ever watched. It deserves credit for its depiction of WW2-era battlefields, but I think the series sometimes gets a pass on that alone when the writing is actually really weak. It's a minority opinion, I'm apparently the only person on the planet who didn't like it, but for me all the characters just blended together into one indistinguishable mash. No one is distinct or memorable, and so every single time someone died my reaction was always "Wait, which one was that?"

Also Game of Thrones is super fun trash TV. Don't read the books, just binge-watch your medieval soap opera and be done with it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Den is a perfect storm of Saw and found footage films with the added benefit of Chatrouette. Its everything I hate in modern horror movies. The ending, the twist, the narrative, the skills of the "bad dudes", all of it was just pointless and shocking for shocking sake.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm on my phone so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure Angels In America is on HBOgo and it is phenomenal.

Agreed.

That said, Tony Kushner actually came to my college and spoke to the lit department, and his advice to everyone was to watch The Wire. It's only fair that I toss in his recommendation by proxy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Junkie Disease posted:

The Den is a perfect storm of Saw and found footage films with the added benefit of Chatrouette. Its everything I hate in modern horror movies. The ending, the twist, the narrative, the skills of the "bad dudes", all of it was just pointless and shocking for shocking sake.

I enjoyed The Den.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Band of Brothers is the most overrated thing I've ever watched. It deserves credit for its depiction of WW2-era battlefields, but I think the series sometimes gets a pass on that alone when the writing is actually really weak. It's a minority opinion, I'm apparently the only person on the planet who didn't like it, but for me all the characters just blended together into one indistinguishable mash. No one is distinct or memorable, and so every single time someone died my reaction was always "Wait, which one was that?"

I think that's a fair critique, it definitely takes a while to latch onto them (and it helps that a bunch of them bite it in the first half). This has maybe gotten easier as many of the character actors have done other work and I think they're now more recognizable (Damien Lewis, Michael Fassbender, Ron Livingston, Neal McDonough, etc).

I think I like it so much because it totally blows away Saving Private Ryan, both in terms of scope but also in the ambiguities of war. Sure, Saving Private Ryan has a moment where they shoot surrendering soldiers, but BoB does this better, along with moments like Lieutenant Dyke being a coward, the PTSD episode when Winters is in Paris, etc. Saving Private Ryan plays as a very patriotic and stock character version of World War 2, the stunning beach landing excepted. Band of Brothers just had a lot more time to touch on the minutiae of what it was like to actually be on the front lines for months on end. I think the best episode in this regard is "Bastogne." You could probably watch it as a one-off, since it focuses on the medic. But I'd certainly recommend the whole series, as it's nice to know who is who.

I also don't know that the writing is weak, but I haven't watched it in years. The bar for TV writing has certainly gone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sarchasm posted:

I think the official story was that John Malkovich insisted on that being put into the movie because it's a thing that someone actually did to him when he was younger. Some kids from his school or something were driving by him and one of them threw a half-full beer can at his head and yelled at him. It was not an accident, but it wasn't originally written into the scene.

• Locked thread