Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Jonked posted:

Was about to post the same thought. If tricokor creatures are common, it's going to suck having to prioritize (bad) fixing, and if one or two colors is the rule, it feels like they'll be slightly better guildgates for splashing. Boo!

Weren't the Alara trilands constructed playable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
/\/\: He's talking about limited. They're more than playable for tri-color. Especially with the generally slow speed of Theros Block stuff.

Chorocojo posted:

Clearly we should also get wedge Panoramas at common. :pseudo:

It'd be just like Shards then so I don't see it as too bad. :shrug:
Though I've only watched a few Shards block drafts.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
I really like prowess. The thing I don't get about it though, is why it isn't prowess N. That way they could have creatures get a bigger bonus than just +1/+1.

Mark has mentioned that bad mana fixing was a problem in Alara, and that they did better this time. I don't have a link, but I'm positive he has said that the mana fixing would be better. So, hopefully we won't get some lovely obelisks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Prowess turns every instant into a combat trick, which seems really really good. It's the UWR mechanic, right?

Yes and that's AWESOME~

Elyv posted:

The art on this card is funny, why is that old lady prancing around with a crazy whip thing?

Because kung fu. :colbert:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm hoping Prowess ends up like Exalted in that it just does +1/+1 but rare creatures will have extra triggers.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Ugh wedge tap lands at uncommon make drafting a real pain in the rear end.

Jonked posted:

Was about to post the same thought. If tricokor creatures are common, it's going to suck having to prioritize (bad) fixing, and if one or two colors is the rule, it feels like they'll be slightly better guildgates for splashing. Boo!

Triples were sweet as hell and high pick in Shards of Alara limited, so I don't really know what you're going on about. I was never unhappy picking them high, they were good fixing there and I doubt they'll be worse in Khans. I don't see how they'll be a pain in the rear end in any way, especially when it is guaranteed there'll be common fixing tools around too if the format has multicolor theme.

Obviously we don't know jack about Khans limited, but I'm happy to see the wedge triples that were anticipated.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Bring on the Khans. :fap:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Prowess seems like it has the potential to get real dumb with Storm stuff.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm hoping Prowess ends up like Exalted in that it just does +1/+1 but rare creatures will have extra triggers.

You know there is going to be at least one equipment and/or enchantment that gives a creature Prowess for multiple prowess triggers. :getin:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Prowess, prowess, prowess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mailorder bees! posted:

Oh hey, I think you were at the store I was judging at, because the Standard HJ did that Friday. I was running the sealed event in the back of the store when I suddenly heard the Standard event go quiet and the HJ started talking a bunch, but I couldn't really hear him.

I heard a bit about it later from one of the Standard floor judges, but I didn't know all the details because I left after sealed was done.

If you judge at madness in plano, then yes you were there.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

You know there is going to be at least one equipment and/or enchantment that gives a creature Prowess for multiple prowess triggers. :getin:

Prowess Lord UWR

Creature -- Human Monk

Prowess

Other monk creatures you control get +1/+1 and have prowess. (If a creature has multiple instances of prowes, each triggers separately.)

2/2

That'd be pretty cool to see.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I hope this set has an instant speed card draw spell, because that'd rule hard with prowess.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Prowess seems like it has the potential to get real dumb with Storm stuff.

How exactly? Only the storm spell itself is cast, none of the storm copies are.

unless you just mean the cantripping before the storm, then yes it gets ridiculous.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

The art on this card is funny, why is that old lady prancing around with a crazy whip thing?

That's a chain whip, a weapon used in Asian martial arts, namely wushu.

Prowess is a really cool mechanic though.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Cactrot posted:

How exactly? Only the storm spell itself is cast, none of the storm copies are.

unless you just mean the cantripping before the storm, then yes it gets ridiculous.

I wonder if there'll be an unblockable creature with Prowess.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlsoD posted:

I wonder if there'll be an unblockable creature with Prowess.

And then we give it hexproof. :getin:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Obscil posted:

I really like prowess. The thing I don't get about it though, is why it isn't prowess N. That way they could have creatures get a bigger bonus than just +1/+1.

Instead of Prowess 3, they'll just give it Prowess Prowess Prowess. :v:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I do find it hilarious how people elsewhere are already deeming this set as bad after 4 whole spoilers

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I look forward to building a UWR Heroic deck with my brother with Prowess for some Bonus. Assuming we get some Prowess guys with good effects/abilities.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

I do find it hilarious how people elsewhere are already deeming this set as bad after 4 whole spoilers

Technically 6, and they're uncommon mostly.

Guess it's time to check off Standard Is Boring on my bingo sheet.

edit: oh my god UWR Heroic Prowess, Anax and Cymede is a VALUE MACHINE

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cernunnos posted:

I look forward to building a UWR Heroic deck with my brother with Prowess for some Bonus. Assuming we get some Prowess guys with good effects/abilities.

I was just thinking that heroic could be a thing after rotation... The only thing that it loses in Nivmangis Elemental.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zorak posted:

Always happens, every time, without fail.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Zorak posted:

By "elsewhere" you mean MTG Salvation, right?

Edit: So this isn't a complete waste of a post - I too hope Prowess (and Raid, for that matter), has some wackier effects, and not just +1/+1 and damage, respectfully. The lands are cool though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Zorak posted:

I hope this set has an instant speed card draw spell, because that'd rule hard with prowess.

Grandmaster's Revelation, just in time for the rotation.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

a one-drop blue with prowess might do something in legacy delver just because of the cheap cantrips, but probably isn't consistent enough.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Cernunnos posted:

Surely they'll be at least ONE aggressively costed Prowess creature, right? Right?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ramos posted:

Always happens, every time, without fail.

Someone collected a list of links to MTGS threads on how each set is the worst of all time. The best one of all was the complaint thread about Worldwake.

The only set I can think of in recent memory that DIDN'T have one was New Phyrexia, because everyone knew how hard it was going to rock from Day 1.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Are we sure Prowess always means +1/+1? Couldn't it be like Heroic in that different things happen with each card, and you need the reminder text to define what happens? Maybe Prowess just means something triggers on non-creature spells.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The Prowess reminder text isn't formatted like Heroic or Raid, with the keyword and then a dash to describe the effect. Prowess is always gonna be +1/+1 like Exalted.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Are we sure Prowess always means +1/+1? Couldn't it be like Heroic in that different things happen with each card, and you need the reminder text to define what happens? Maybe Prowess just means something triggers on non-creature spells.

No, it's a keyword and not an ability word. It will always give you +1/+1. Other abilities on the card can be linked to prowess though.

Magic Card Design topic has taught me well.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

End of Life Guy posted:

it's worded like that. Usually things that change with each creature have a dash

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

End of Life Guy posted:

It's a keyword, not an ability word like Heroic, so on creatures it will always mean +1/+1. That's why +1/+1 is only mentioned in reminder text.

It's not impossible that, like Sunburst, it will have a different effect on noncreatures, but I wouldn't count on it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Prowess is written as a Keyword so it always does the same thing.

Heroic is an Ability Word so the basic function stays the same but the effect can vary.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Rafiq has exalted and exalted double strike though.

They could easily make abilities like that with prowess on rates/mythics

1rr

1/3
Prowess
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell this guy gets double strike and trample

Maybe they'll make another gelectrode...

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 18, 2014

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Someone collected a list of links to MTGS threads on how each set is the worst of all time. The best one of all was the complaint thread about Worldwake.

The only set I can think of in recent memory that DIDN'T have one was New Phyrexia, because everyone knew how hard it was going to rock from Day 1.

I remember someone had a signature banner saying:

FUTURE SUCK
The worst set since Homelands

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Both the prowess and raid mechanics seem like good, clean, simple design. Very cool. I'm very excited for Khans.

Also, in case someone hasn't listened to it already, check out the Wrath of the Khans series of podcasts. Some guy posted it in this thread a while ago, and it's one of the best, most interesting and informative lectures I've listened to. It got me reading books about Mongols.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Maro posted 2014 state of design article. TL:DR Born was a failure, enchantment theme was a failure because everyone wanted to build enchantment decks and that came at the tail end of the block and devotion overshadows it, but flavorwise it was a sweet Greek set.

Maybe I'm jaded but I care less about the flavor (I do like it) then executing well on sets I want to open, want cards from, and can build decks with mechanics from the block.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

End of Life Guy posted:

The way it's templated there, yes. It's a keyword, not an ability word. Look at how heroic or morbid are written on the card compared to Prowess or Exalted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Hellsau posted:

The Prowess reminder text isn't formatted like Heroic or Raid, with the keyword and then a dash to describe the effect. Prowess is always gonna be +1/+1 like Exalted.

I guess that's not too lame as there will be 4 other mechanics + morph to fool around with, but I can't help but think it'd be neater to have it be like heroic. This is a bottom-up set, so it'll probably be fine.

• Locked thread