Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a shame I didn't find out about jrodenfeld's new thread sooner, else I could have asked him how he reconciles the supremacy of property rights with his assertion that you can't contract yourself into slavery. What good reason is there for my body to be the one thing I own AND don't have the right to sell at any price? Because I'm likely to get a bad bargain? I assume the risk of a bad bargain every time I make a transaction! Why should anybody be obligated to protect me from my own decisions, jrodenfeld?! :spergin:

(Ah, who am I kidding? He would have ignored me like he ignores everyone else who asks inconvenient questions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

It really doesn't matter if DRO's suck to many of them. I poo poo you not, I had a libertarian defend the idea that DRO's would have access to nuclear weapons. I've had one defend he idea that contract killings were morally okay so long as you pay someone to do them, since the person who does the actual killing is the only one morally responsible. Many an-caps are not utilitarian, they don't care if it results in a freakish totalitarian state, so long as it is a 'free' totalitarian state.

I've mentioned it before but it bears repeating: the idea that putting a hit out on someone is morally acceptable, and actual guilt only falls on the person who actually pulls the trigger, is one that I've seen come up in the buttcoin thread in GBS. If I remember right, some reasonably well-known (within that community of idiots, zealots, and conmen) buttcoiner got arrested last year for trying to do just that after Mt.Gox imploded.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I've been doing more digging, and dear god, Molyneux is something spectacular.

The whole DRO thing is just one of those ideas that sounds stupid from the get go, and gets stupider the more you explain it. The problem with a DRO is that I now have a customer/service relationship with the justice system. Something I currently don't have. I am expecting my DRO to provide me with justice, or to make sure I don't go to jail. But the system collapses as soon as someone else has the same DRO, right? I mean, do you piss off one customer or both? It's a lose lose situation. And of course, who represents the DROs?

So let's say, I'm a DRO, and you're my client. You broke your arm in a store, and now I'm working with their DRO to determine if they should pay for your treatment. We disagree, and bring in a third DRO. What if I dispute how that that third DRO is handling things. What if I find out that the third DRO was being paid off by the second DRO? How do I resolve a dispute as a DRO against another DRO? Do we have to bring in yet another third party? And of course, what if the second DRO finds that the second layer of third party DRO wasn't a fair and equitable resolution? Hey! Let's get another third party involved!

I'm waiting for the day when I, the CEO of a DRO harasses an employee of the DRO, and so they lodge a complaint against me which will be settled by the DRO I am a CEO for! Unless of course they get another DRO, but then that DRO is obviously impartial! Third party time!

As you can see, DROs quickly become a cluster gently caress. Basically, if we had DROs, pretty soon, every societal interaction would consist of DROs trying to gently caress each other with other DROs. And all because you broke your arm in some shopkeeper's shop.

But we haven't gone all the way with DROs yet.

I turn you to this blog, written by an insane person: http://fskrealityguide.blogspot.com/2009/09/criticisms-of-stefan-molyneux.html

quote:

In order to be a real practical anarchist, Stefan Molyneux should say "I'm starting a DRO business! Who wants to be a customer?" That would be actual practical anarchy.

Right now, it's impractical to start a DRO that actually has armed policemen employed. The government police monopoly would be threatened by such an organization, and you'd find yourself the victim of a violent State raid. A DRO can enforce rules without armed police. Enforcement through ostracism can be effective. If someone breaks the DRO's rules, then they're banned from future participation (unless they pay restitution to the victims). When there are multiple competing DROs, then all of them sensibly would refuse membership to someone who doesn't follow the rules.

Initially, a DRO would be a way for agorists to buy and sell goods and services. If I want to perform off-the-books work for cash, I can't advertise on Craigslist or other State venues, because the police might be spying. It's an even bigger risk if I'm entering a business that's regulated by the State. Working as an agorist in a State-regulated industry is lucrative but risky. A DRO would ensure that both the buyer and seller would respect each other's privacy from State enforcers. The #1 rule for any agorist DRO would be "No matter what happens, nobody complains to the State police." It's a tricky balancing act. You want to have as many customers as possible. You also need to keep out undercover State spies, or people who would complain to the State if they're unsatisfied.

Going back to the example of health care, suppose I wanted to work as an unlicensed agorist doctor. I can't advertise my services in public, because the State would shut me down. If there was a good DRO where I could advertise, then I could get customers. My customers would have assurance that I'm a good doctor. I would have assurance that my customers won't complain to the State and arrange for my arrest/kidnapping. A DRO would be useful for anyone who wants to buy or sell outside of the State slave economic system.

If DROs are so wonderful, then you should start a DRO business now and get a head start on everyone else! If DROs are so wonderful, then Stefan Molyneux should put his freedom where his mouth is and start a DRO business! Initially, a DRO would be a way for people to buy/sell goods and services outside of the State economy. People who want to work in the free market have a big problem and a big risk. There's no place for agorist buyers and sellers to meet. There's the risk that your trading partner will rat you out to the State.

Since Stefan Molyneux already has a large audience, he's in a good position to start a DRO business.

You can end up with people believing that they should start their own DRO. Never mind that if you provided healthcare through a DRO and you killed someone, that you wouldn't actually have any protection since I doubt you can say to a jury "Hey, I was an unlicensed doctor working through a DRO! They shouldn't be prosecuting me right now! WE HAD A DRO!"

Fortunately, this guy seemed to calm down. I looked at his newest blog, and he seems relatively well-adjusted.

But what concerns me is that when you read his blog, you get the sense that Molyneux has been talking about mental illness in a really dangerous way.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Just to be clear, that guy is arguing from a genuine stance and not pulling some kind of reductio ad absurdem, right?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
For such a central precept of his philosophy, and despite many requests, J-Rod has yet to provide a definition of what "force" is.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I've mentioned it before but it bears repeating: the idea that putting a hit out on someone is morally acceptable, and actual guilt only falls on the person who actually pulls the trigger, is one that I've seen come up in the buttcoin thread in GBS. If I remember right, some reasonably well-known (within that community of idiots, zealots, and conmen) buttcoiner got arrested last year for trying to do just that after Mt.Gox imploded.

Actually it was the owner of Silk Road (The Bitcoin based drug market) whom did this. After his arrest it came out that he had tried to have six different people killed, three of whom just happened to be the roommates of someone else he wanted dead. As it turns out despite paying for all the hits with bitcoin no one actually ever died and in two of the cases the contracted killer was a federal investigator.

Edit: And in one of the cases the killer turned out to be the target himself, whom promptly faked his own assassination. Even funnier, it was a fake persona and not his real identity anyways. The whole thing came about because he was a Silk Road insider and tried to Blackmail DPR(owner of Silk Road). So he tried to blackmail Silk Road for a huge amount of money, then when DPR tried to put out an open market contract on him he posed as his own killer for an even larger amount of money. He then hosed off with several hundred thousand dollars.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 17, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Prester John posted:

Actually it was the owner of Silk Road (The Bitcoin based drug market) whom did this. After his arrest it came out that he had tried to have six different people killed, three of whom just happened to be the roommates of someone else he wanted dead. As it turns out despite paying for all the hits with bitcoin no one actually ever died and in two of the cases the contracted killer was a federal investigator.

Edit: And in one of the cases the killer turned out to be the target himself, whom promptly faked his own assassination. Even funnier, it was a fake persona and not his real identit anyways. He then hosed off with several hundred thousand dollars.

Was he just paying anonymous internet people up front and then hoping they'd follow through? I would think you'd hold back most of the money until the deed was done or else there wouldn't be much of an incentive for the 'assassin' to complete their part of the bargain.

Or maybe these bitcoin assassins have yelp pages where you can give them negative reviews when they fail to follow through :downs:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Helsing posted:

Was he just paying anonymous internet people up front and then hoping they'd follow through? I would think you'd hold back most of the money until the deed was done or else there wouldn't be much of an incentive for the 'assassin' to complete their part of the bargain.

Or maybe these bitcoin assassins have yelp pages where you can give them negative reviews when they fail to follow through :downs:

It was a half up front half on completion kind of deal IIRC. He would recieve photographs of the dead person as "proof". In one case the person he was trying to have killed was already in federal custody (And DPR *KNEW* that) and when he tried to have him killed the Feds basically put a bunch of makeup on the guy and photographed a fake death scene. I know, you can't make this poo poo up.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Wait, a photograph? :psyduck: Uhh, what about a news article saying "So and so was murdered today"? Execution style killings usually don't pass by without any comment in the local press.

This guys delusional fantasy world does at least sound like it must have been fun to live in up until the moment he was finally crushed under the sheer weight of his compounding stupidities. It sounds like he thought he was living in the world of Snow Crash or something.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

How do libertarian DROs and so forth deal with intellectual property rights? If a man steals revolutionary self-pedaling bicycles from my factory, the theft is obvious. If a woman photographs the design specs for those bikes and begins duplicating them... well, nothing that I mixed my labor with is being taken from me. What are their rules for the Marketplace of Ideas™?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Less than you would think. He was living on the cheap with 3 roommates in San Francisco and had his money hidden in various international laundering services. He had a ton of paper wealth but never really got to enjoy any of it. He was extremely arrogant and stupid though. Just a quick rundown of the massive mistakes he made:

1.) When he announced the creation of the Silk Road on Bitcointalk, he did so with an account registered through hisrealname@gmail.com

2.) He posted sections of the Silk Road code on a coding website for critique under his real name.

3.) He tried to order a bunch of fake ID's that got intercepted. When the Feds knocked on his door he admitted to know what the Silk Road was. This was months before he was arrested (he should have fled then).

4.) He gave an interview to a television station that agreed to hide his identity, but went to the station in person and without a disguise to give the interview.

5.) He was trying to be more than just a middleman broker and was buying/selling kilo's of (fake) cocaine and spreading it around his inner circle.

6.) He was living in loving San Francisco instead of a country where the government might have given less of a gently caress.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

How do libertarian DROs and so forth deal with intellectual property rights? If a man steals revolutionary self-pedaling bicycles from my factory, the theft is obvious. If a woman photographs the design specs for those bikes and begins duplicating them... well, nothing that I mixed my labor with is being taken from me. What are their rules for the Marketplace of Ideas™?

Many libertarians don't believe in intellectual property at all, especially bitcoiners and crypto-anarchist types, but for others it's all they care about.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

If we're talking about one of the libertarian creeds that still leaves room for a "night watchmen state" then the answer would depend on how that society defines intellectual property, and that would depend on which particular libertarian faction or individual set things up.

If we're talking about the through-the-rabbit-hole world of the an caps and voluntarists then the answer would be "whatever your DRO works out with their DRO".

Prester John posted:

Less than you would think. He was living on the cheap with 3 roommates in San Francisco and had his money hidden in various international laundering services. He had a ton of paper wealth but never really got to enjoy any of it. He was extremely arrogant and stupid though. Just a quick rundown of the massive mistakes he made:

1.) When he announced the creation of the Silk Road on Bitcointalk, he did so with an account registered through hisrealname@gmail.com

2.) He posted sections of the Silk Road code on a coding website for critique under his real name.

3.) He tried to order a bunch of fake ID's that got intercepted. When the Feds knocked on his door he admitted to know what the Silk Road was. This was months before he was arrested (he should have fled then).

4.) He gave an interview to a television station that agreed to hide his identity, but went to the station in person and without a disguise to give the interview.

5.) He was trying to be more than just a middleman broker and was buying/selling kilo's of (fake) cocaine and spreading it around his inner circle.

6.) He was living in loving San Francisco instead of a country where the government might have given less of a gently caress.

Amazing. A guy who managed to understand why people would be interested in a totally anonymous website using a totally anonymous currency to make transactions somehow fails to appreciate the importance of personal anonymity.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Prester John posted:

This is the only part I hadn't heard about. What do you mean by fake, though? Like, baby powder, or mephedrone or the like?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jack of Hearts posted:

This is the only part I hadn't heard about. What do you mean by fake, though? Like, baby powder, or mephedrone or the like?

He didn't realize it was all fake, because the feds had cracked him months before and were the ones selling it to him. The feds literally had him for like 6+ months and just tracked him to figure out his network and coordinate an international response. When he went down there were simultaneous busts around the world grabbing other major players they had identified through spying on his network.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Helsing posted:

Wait, a photograph? :psyduck: Uhh, what about a news article saying "So and so was murdered today"? Execution style killings usually don't pass by without any comment in the local press.

It's not so stupid to demand a photograph as proof. After all, a newspaper article would just prove that the target was murdered, not that they were murdered by the right people. You wouldn't want to pay for a freebie, after all. And also, the press can be slow, or depending where it is, it might not get published. Of course, the reality is that if you are going to hire a hitman, you always do it through an intermediary. You never do it yourself. After all, you're putting too much of the risk on you!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EvanSchenck posted:

Even if that specific detail in the argument is incorrect, the gist is correct. The USPS wasn't doing home delivery but it was required to maintain offices in isolated locations throughout the country, and make deliveries to the same. Spooner's American Letter Mail Company also transported mail from one office to another, but it only had locations in four cities: New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and Baltimore. That is to say, he operated only in the four largest cities in America, all of which were relatively nearby one another and well-connected by sea and rail. Quibbling aside, Spooner's company served only the cities where delivery was absolutely cheapest, and was useless to 96% of the country's population.

But maintaining offices had little to do with anything. Most of the country's population would be days of travel from these "isolated" offices. If you weren't in the most major cities, you were relatively disconnected from the postal system. (and Spooner had planned to expand into more big cities but the fact he was breaking the law in a big way made it very difficult for his service to get funding to expand into other places, let alone cities letting him set up shop. Obviously his existing clients supported him in the initial cities while the company was slowly squeezed out by the blatant illegality.)

Like, you really don't get how "underpowered" the US post office was prior to really the end of the Civil War.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

But maintaining offices had little to do with anything.

:what:

You just wrote that the USPS transported mail between post offices. i.e. to mail a letter you would bring it to the nearest post office, affix a stamp, and then it could be sent to any other post office in the country at a rate dependent on the distance it would travel. Covering the maximum possible area meant that the USPS had to establish and pay for hundreds or thousands of offices with personnel that would be situated in areas of low population density and would only handle small volumes of mail. These locations would therefore lose money, but the USPS as a whole was solvent because areas of dense population in the East sent much higher volumes of mail and had relatively low costs due to the shorter distances and better infrastructure, allowing them to subsidize the rest of the network. Spooner's company was competitive with the Post Office because he only served the routes that had the highest volume and lowest costs, whereas USPS had to carry a bunch of loss-making offices in the hinterland to ensure service throughout the country.

quote:

Most of the country's population would be days of travel from these "isolated" offices.

Okay, at this time I'd like you to source that claim.

Here's a link to an online version of a document from 1830, "Table of the Post Offices in the United States: arranged by states and counties; as they were October 1, 1830; with a supplement, stating the offices established between the 1st of October, 1830, and the first of April, 1831. Also, an index to the whole." If you leaf through that, you can see that even areas that were sparsely populated frontiers at the time, like Illinois or Michigan, had significant numbers of post offices around the state, albeit mostly in areas where there were actually some number of people residing, for obvious reasons. This source would indicate that the overwhelming majority of Americans were not located several days of travel from the nearest post office, and that was probably only the case for a tiny number of people who essentially lived in the wilderness on the extreme frontier.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EvanSchenck posted:

:what:

You just wrote that the USPS transported mail between post offices. i.e. to mail a letter you would bring it to the nearest post office, affix a stamp, and then it could be sent to any other post office in the country at a rate dependent on the distance it would travel. Covering the maximum possible area meant that the USPS had to establish and pay for hundreds or thousands of offices with personnel that would be situated in areas of low population density and would only handle small volumes of mail. These locations would therefore lose money, but the USPS as a whole was solvent because areas of dense population in the East sent much higher volumes of mail and had relatively low costs due to the shorter distances and better infrastructure, allowing them to subsidize the rest of the network. Spooner's company was competitive with the Post Office because he only served the routes that had the highest volume and lowest costs, whereas USPS had to carry a bunch of loss-making offices in the hinterland to ensure service throughout the country.

Okay, at this time I'd like you to source that claim.

Here's a link to an online version of a document from 1830, "Table of the Post Offices in the United States: arranged by states and counties; as they were October 1, 1830; with a supplement, stating the offices established between the 1st of October, 1830, and the first of April, 1831. Also, an index to the whole." If you leaf through that, you can see that even areas that were sparsely populated frontiers at the time, like Illinois or Michigan, had significant numbers of post offices around the state, albeit mostly in areas where there were actually some number of people residing, for obvious reasons. This source would indicate that the overwhelming majority of Americans were not located several days of travel from the nearest post office, and that was probably only the case for a tiny number of people who essentially lived in the wilderness on the extreme frontier.

The offices that were often rarely serviced. The USPS also wasn't really consistently solvent back then: it ran on taxpayer funding as a standard department of the government. The idea of postal service solvency wasn't really a thing until Nixon ordered the semi-corporatization and decoupling from routine taxpayer funding in the 70s.

Simply look at your own document. Remember that horses aren't that fast, and many people didn't even have horses to spare for travel. Remember that Spooner's service operated in the late 1840s and early 1850s - a time when there was extreme amounts of people living "on frontiers" as well as in "settled areas" where the post office would be far away. Sure, 15-30 miles doesn't sound that far away now to you, but it could be a serious trek back then. Remember that the vast majority (85%) of people were in rural areas in those days. And it certainly makes sense to call someplace days travel away when traveling out to it to get the mail and then back to your home requires an overnight - in those times 20 miles or so would take up a whole "traveling day" for someone without horses trained and kept specifically for traveling fast (again, to say nothing of the many people who couldn't afford horse travel).

Also good to keep this in mind:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

The offices that were often rarely serviced. The USPS also wasn't really consistently solvent back then: it ran on taxpayer funding as a standard department of the government. The idea of postal service solvency wasn't really a thing until Nixon ordered the semi-corporatization and decoupling from routine taxpayer funding in the 70s.

So you're saying that you don't have a source.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

The whole DRO thing is just one of those ideas that sounds stupid from the get go, and gets stupider the more you explain it. The problem with a DRO is that I now have a customer/service relationship with the justice system. Something I currently don't have. I am expecting my DRO to provide me with justice, or to make sure I don't go to jail. But the system collapses as soon as someone else has the same DRO, right? I mean, do you piss off one customer or both? It's a lose lose situation. And of course, who represents the DROs?

So let's say, I'm a DRO, and you're my client. You broke your arm in a store, and now I'm working with their DRO to determine if they should pay for your treatment. We disagree, and bring in a third DRO. What if I dispute how that that third DRO is handling things. What if I find out that the third DRO was being paid off by the second DRO? How do I resolve a dispute as a DRO against another DRO? Do we have to bring in yet another third party? And of course, what if the second DRO finds that the second layer of third party DRO wasn't a fair and equitable resolution? Hey! Let's get another third party involved!

I'm waiting for the day when I, the CEO of a DRO harasses an employee of the DRO, and so they lodge a complaint against me which will be settled by the DRO I am a CEO for! Unless of course they get another DRO, but then that DRO is obviously impartial! Third party time!

No DRO would ever care about making their customers happy. Molyneux want them to be mandatory - terminate your contract without making a deal with another one and you become a non-person who can be shot without consequences. You need them much more than they need you.

It's pretty similar how finding employment works now. You need to earn money to survive, so unless you have something impressive to offer, your leverage is pretty weak. Some people get amazing or at least decent jobs, but most have to settle with terrible ones that offer them little compensation and atrocious work conditions. It would be similar with DROs, except that your boss won't install surveillance in your home and won't become your judge, jury and executioner as soon as you sign the contract. And you can survive several months of unemployment, while you will likely get yourself killed in a week without DRO coverage.

Imagine that you are unhappy with your DRO - where can you file a complaint? Who's going to represent you against the organization that normally represents you? What happens if they decide you're a liability and terminate your contract? Provided another company even wants to represent you, your leverage is even worse: you have to sign a contract with someone and you're a risky customer who already requires arbitration. Your terms of agreement will most likely be even worse.

This would likely not happen anyway, as DROs would have plenty of ways to abuse their position.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EvanSchenck posted:

So you're saying that you don't have a source.

Nope, please consult US census data and maps of the era, and remember what people had access to for transport.

You put up a list of towns with post offices as evidence that means they were all close by, which is to be completely ignorant of population distribution, essentially.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nope, please consult US census data and maps of the era, and remember what people had access to for transport.

You put up a list of towns with post offices as evidence that means they were all close by, which is to be completely ignorant of population distribution, essentially.

"Listen, I'm sure there's data that supports my point, but damned if I'm going to actually verify that myself."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Muscle Tracer posted:

"Listen, I'm sure there's data that supports my point, but damned if I'm going to actually verify that myself."

I did verify it, and you can go verify it yourself as well. I'm not about to go write out a academic paper about my work process and the results unless you feel like paying me or granting major university accepted credits for it.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 18, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

No DRO would ever care about making their customers happy. Molyneux want them to be mandatory - terminate your contract without making a deal with another one and you become a non-person who can be shot without consequences. You need them much more than they need you.

It's pretty similar how finding employment works now. You need to earn money to survive, so unless you have something impressive to offer, your leverage is pretty weak. Some people get amazing or at least decent jobs, but most have to settle with terrible ones that offer them little compensation and atrocious work conditions. It would be similar with DROs, except that your boss won't install surveillance in your home and won't become your judge, jury and executioner as soon as you sign the contract. And you can survive several months of unemployment, while you will likely get yourself killed in a week without DRO coverage.

Imagine that you are unhappy with your DRO - where can you file a complaint? Who's going to represent you against the organization that normally represents you? What happens if they decide you're a liability and terminate your contract? Provided another company even wants to represent you, your leverage is even worse: you have to sign a contract with someone and you're a risky customer who already requires arbitration. Your terms of agreement will most likely be even worse.

This would likely not happen anyway, as DROs would have plenty of ways to abuse their position.

I read the article where he explains DROs, and basically, in his ideal society, everybody is rational and plays by the rules. Which is a pretty common assumption that Libertarians make.

There's a lot of unanswered questions. What do you do with the people who are literally unable to take care of themselves, like people who are insane or so severely mentally retarded? What about criminals? What do you do with them? His whole idea of a stateless society becomes very ugly very quickly.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Cemetry Gator posted:

As you can see, DROs quickly become a cluster gently caress. Basically, if we had DROs, pretty soon, every societal interaction would consist of DROs trying to gently caress each other with other DROs. And all because you broke your arm in some shopkeeper's shop.

You are assuming that DROs are going to settle their disputes directly. What is more likely (as David Friedman predicts), is that competing DROs will have contracts with arbitration agencies (ie courts) to avoid all the messiness that your describe. So that means that if you and me, members of competing DROs, have a dispute, the DROs (and therefore us) will have a prior agreement to settle the matter in a particular private court. If the dispute is between you and someone else, a potentially different private court might be use.

If you and me use the same DRO, it will actually be easier since our DRO will be able to use the court that makes its clients the happiest.

Gantolandon posted:

If you are unhappy with your phone contract what do you do? Change providers when you can, and tell people about how unhappy with the service you are. There might even be a business that can help you out with the second thing. If you are a liability, then you have to pay a premium for that lifestyle. If you aren't, then a successful DRO will not want to terminate your contract.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I read the article where he explains DROs, and basically, in his ideal society, everybody is rational and plays by the rules. Which is a pretty common assumption that Libertarians make.

There's a lot of unanswered questions. What do you do with the people who are literally unable to take care of themselves, like people who are insane or so severely mentally retarded? What about criminals? What do you do with them? His whole idea of a stateless society becomes very ugly very quickly.

Mental illness: First option is that your family supports you. If you don't have a family that can completely support you, then there will be private charities supported by people like presumably you and myself that believe severely mentally ill people have the right to live comfortably. If there are still people leftover, then there are simply not enough people who agree with you, whether through beliefs or ignorance. And yes that is unfortunate but remember how many homeless people in the current system suffer from debilitating mental illness.

Criminals: This one is tricky. But that doesn't mean that a stateless society cannot deliver a system that is superior to the current one. Most ancaps believe that retribution will shift towards recompensation rather than punishment. If a criminal is clearly too dangerous for society, or does not have the means to recompensate the victims, there would be private institutions the provide the criminal with shelter and food in exchange for work. It would be in the criminal's best interest to agree to a contract with these companies because they would be denied service in wider society - eg. unable to buy goods from grocery stores because they have a poor reputation. Additionally these private "prisons" will have an incentive to provide favourable conditions to the "prisoner", since he will be able to move himself to a competitor if he wishes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I heard the following on a televised service on Sunday.

"By God's Law of Liberty we know what is and is not sin"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Mutato posted:

If there are still people leftover, then there are simply not enough people who agree with you, whether through beliefs or ignorance. And yes that is unfortunate but remember how many homeless people in the current system suffer from debilitating mental illness.

So "Well a huge number of people would be way worse off, but remember that some people are still poorly off today"?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Mutato posted:

If you are unhappy with your phone contract what do you do? Change providers when you can, and tell people about how unhappy with the service you are. There might even be a business that can help you out with the second thing. If you are a liability, then you have to pay a premium for that lifestyle. If you aren't, then a successful DRO will not want to terminate your contract.

I can still live without a phone provider. In Libertopia, losing your coverage for even a day can have disastrous consequences for you. Like not being able to buy food, get medical attention, go anywhere beyond your home without being thrown out for trespassing. Without DRO protection, even your belongings are a fair game - it's not like anyone is going to help you.

Getting a good offer from a DRO would be like selling your house with a profit to loving Crassus. Either you accept the lovely offer they give you, or feel free to die in a ditch. You can approach someone else and, most likely, get a similar offer from them. Of course, after a full background check to ensure you're not a liability. To add insult to injury, there is nothing that prevents a DRO, which you refused, to raid your home while you don't have any coverage.

quote:

You are assuming that DROs are going to settle their disputes directly. What is more likely (as David Friedman predicts), is that competing DROs will have contracts with arbitration agencies (ie courts) to avoid all the messiness that your describe. So that means that if you and me, members of competing DROs, have a dispute, the DROs (and therefore us) will have a prior agreement to settle the matter in a particular private court. If the dispute is between you and someone else, a potentially different private court might be use.

If you and me use the same DRO, it will actually be easier since our DRO will be able to use the court that makes its clients the happiest.

They will use the court that will cost them the least. You don't like the fact that your privider uses Sharia Courts Association to resolve your disputes? Have fun changing your provider. For additional thrill, try to do this in the middle of the proceedings.

quote:

Mental illness: First option is that your family supports you. If you don't have a family that can completely support you, then there will be private charities supported by people like presumably you and myself that believe severely mentally ill people have the right to live comfortably. If there are still people leftover, then there are simply not enough people who agree with you, whether through beliefs or ignorance. And yes that is unfortunate but remember how many homeless people in the current system suffer from debilitating mental illness.

Which DRO is going to protect an organization that cares for a lot of mentally ill people? They tend to not behave and cause legal trouble, not to mention those that get violent and dangerous. Such charity would have to pay a fuckload of money to even get legal coverage. This along with the difficulties of trying to run a non-profit organization when the entire society is organized around an idea that everything, including police and healthcare, is expected to make a profit. Charity organizations are a poor substitution for government safety nets even currently and their expenses would only grow up. And the poor and the middle class are the ones that support them the most anyway.

quote:

Criminals: This one is tricky. But that doesn't mean that a stateless society cannot deliver a system that is superior to the current one. Most ancaps believe that retribution will shift towards recompensation rather than punishment. If a criminal is clearly too dangerous for society, or does not have the means to recompensate the victims, there would be private institutions the provide the criminal with shelter and food in exchange for work. It would be in the criminal's best interest to agree to a contract with these companies because they would be denied service in wider society - eg. unable to buy goods from grocery stores because they have a poor reputation. Additionally these private "prisons" will have an incentive to provide favourable conditions to the "prisoner", since he will be able to move himself to a competitor if he wishes.

Sure, let the imprisoned choose where they want to be incarcerated. Hell, let him sign a contract with the organization whose role is keeping him away from the society. What can go wrong?

What, Mr. Murderer? You want to be incarcerated in PremiumContainment Inc. facility, which is a former chickencoop made of planks and surrounded with a rusty fence? Sure, can't blame you for getting a cheap incarceration facility, you probably want to pay your debt as fast as you can. I must warn you, however, it doesn't seem very secure. Oh, this is not a problem for you? Very well...

So, Mr. Junkie, I've been told you don't like your stay in Hans Hermann Hoppe's Friendly Isolation House and would like to change your preferred prison. Would you like to reconsider? Incidentally, an anonymous informant tipped us you are planning to escape and our contract clearly says we are allowed to use means necessary to prevent that... this includes solitary confinement where you will have a lot of time to think about your unwise decision. But before that - Warden Taser, would you explain our customer the perils involved in changing your prison in the middle of incarceration?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just making sure, for the claim that "Most of the country's population would be days of travel" from their nearest post office, you have no actual source. For example, you didn't read it in a book or see it in a documentary. You just looked at maps of population density for a given year. Did you compare that to a map of post office locations in the same year? If so, can I see that map? I haven't been able to find one. If you don't have an actual source, explain your process.

quote:

Just to make sure, you do understand that low population density means that there are relatively less people living in an area? Because, you see, that would mean that even though most of the country was low-density, the aggregate population of those areas would not be very great, so that most people lived in mid- to high-density areas. Which would also happen to be areas with good access to post offices.

Anyway, let's break down a specific example.

Modern-day Pocahontas County WV is located deep in the Allegheny Mountains and most of its area consists of state and federal parkland, principally the Monongahela National Forest. At last count it has a population of about 8700 and the largest town is the county seat of Marlinton, with around 1000 people. I think this is a good test case because it is very isolated with very low population density. The 1830 US Census reports a population of 2542 for Pocahontas County. According to our register of post offices, those people are served by no less than five post offices. The register does not include a map, but comparing the names of the office locations to contemporary maps of the area shows that the locations are distributed pretty much evenly across Pocahontas County along a route running SW-NE, with not more than 10-12 miles between them. According to topographic maps of the area, this route coincides with a valley in the Alleghenies that runs the length of the county, along the upper Greenbrier River. Because the rest of the county is and was very mountainous and mainly composed of dense forests, it is reasonable to assume that the overwhelming majority of the population resides there, unless you're prepared to present an argument that most of those 2542 people were living up on the sides of mountains instead of in places where they could actually farm and hunt and build houses.

Based on the above I would assert that most of the people in this mountain wilderness in 1830 were not more than 1/2 days travel from a post office. 25 years down the line, if they decided they wanted to mail their letters by Lysander Spooner's service, all they needed to do was travel to his nearest office, 300 miles away in Baltimore, and make sure they were mailing them to somebody in one of America's four largest cities.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I did verify it,

I do not believe you did.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So would a "Nationally Accredited Correctional Institution" prison bus count as a DRO ?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yes let's privatize the whole justice system since you know how private prisons have been so successful and free from corruption and abuse as is.

edit: of course that's the government's fault in a truly free market *vomits*

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Muscle Tracer posted:

So "Well a huge number of people would be way worse off, but remember that some people are still poorly off today"?

Not what I said. I said that if a certain group people were worse off, then it is because people simply don't care enough. I still believe that people in general would be better off, and not just people are already well off.

Gantolandon posted:

I can still live without a phone provider. In Libertopia, losing your coverage for even a day can have disastrous consequences for you. Like not being able to buy food, get medical attention, go anywhere beyond your home without being thrown out for trespassing. Without DRO protection, even your belongings are a fair game - it's not like anyone is going to help you.

Getting a good offer from a DRO would be like selling your house with a profit to loving Crassus. Either you accept the lovely offer they give you, or feel free to die in a ditch. You can approach someone else and, most likely, get a similar offer from them. Of course, after a full background check to ensure you're not a liability. To add insult to injury, there is nothing that prevents a DRO, which you refused, to raid your home while you don't have any coverage.

They will use the court that will cost them the least. You don't like the fact that your privider uses Sharia Courts Association to resolve your disputes? Have fun changing your provider. For additional thrill, try to do this in the middle of the proceedings.

Why do you think every single DRO is going to give you lovely offers? No one is going to sign up to a DRO that gives you service and uses ridiculous courts that rule in ways most people disagree with. In your case of a DRO raiding your home, there are lots of things that prevent that, such as a bunch of courts and the DRO's reputation.

The courts that cost the most would be the weird Sharia law/anti-abortion/etc courts - you have to pay a premium because there isn't much demand for them.

quote:

Which DRO is going to protect an organization that cares for a lot of mentally ill people? They tend to not behave and cause legal trouble, not to mention those that get violent and dangerous. Such charity would have to pay a fuckload of money to even get legal coverage. This along with the difficulties of trying to run a non-profit organization when the entire society is organized around an idea that everything, including police and healthcare, is expected to make a profit. Charity organizations are a poor substitution for government safety nets even currently and their expenses would only grow up. And the poor and the middle class are the ones that support them the most anyway.

This is the cost of mental ill people. This cost already exists. If no one else wants to pay it you can either pay it yourself, or convince other people that they should pay it. Since the people are already voting for a government that helps out these people via their tax money, why wouldn't they want to help them out?

quote:

Sure, let the imprisoned choose where they want to be incarcerated. Hell, let him sign a contract with the organization whose role is keeping him away from the society. What can go wrong?

What, Mr. Murderer? You want to be incarcerated in PremiumContainment Inc. facility, which is a former chickencoop made of planks and surrounded with a rusty fence? Sure, can't blame you for getting a cheap incarceration facility, you probably want to pay your debt as fast as you can. I must warn you, however, it doesn't seem very secure. Oh, this is not a problem for you? Very well...

So, Mr. Junkie, I've been told you don't like your stay in Hans Hermann Hoppe's Friendly Isolation House and would like to change your preferred prison. Would you like to reconsider? Incidentally, an anonymous informant tipped us you are planning to escape and our contract clearly says we are allowed to use means necessary to prevent that... this includes solitary confinement where you will have a lot of time to think about your unwise decision. But before that - Warden Taser, would you explain our customer the perils involved in changing your prison in the middle of incarceration?

These sound like really lovely businesses that would fail quickly if they weren't propped up by the state.

spoon0042 posted:

Yes let's privatize the whole justice system since you know how private prisons have been so successful and free from corruption and abuse as is.

edit: of course that's the government's fault in a truly free market *vomits*

I would love to hear why it isn't. Seriously, convince me. A minarchist government that controls prisons and mental hospitals is pretty good too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Mutato posted:

I would love to hear why it isn't.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The Mutato posted:

Why do you think every single DRO is going to give you lovely offers? No one is going to sign up to a DRO that gives you service and uses ridiculous courts that rule in ways most people disagree with. In your case of a DRO raiding your home, there are lots of things that prevent that, such as a bunch of courts and the DRO's reputation.

The thing is that their service is ridiculously inelastic. They can charge you whatever they want. Why do you think reputation will come in and save you, when it doesn't right now in similar situations? Why do you think that the courts will be just? Who administers these courts? Who enforces their judgement?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The Mutato posted:

No DRO worth their salt will give you a good offer if they can get away with a worse one. They definitely can, given that the alternative is starvation and/or getting raided. You can't afford to take your time and cherry-pick, which means you'll never have an upper hand in negotiations with such an organization. They don't have to compete for you, just reach you before everyone else and give you an offer that doesn't seem completely atrocious.

quote:

The courts that cost the most would be the weird Sharia law/anti-abortion/etc courts - you have to pay a premium because there isn't much demand for them.

In the alternate universe where anarchocapitalism is a viable political ideology, there is no demand for Sharia law courts.

quote:

This is the cost of mental ill people. This cost already exists. If no one else wants to pay it you can either pay it yourself, or convince other people that they should pay it. Since the people are already voting for a government that helps out these people via their tax money, why wouldn't they want to help them out?

Because everyone wants something to be done with the mentally ill people (or pollution, or crime, or any other problem), but would prefer others to cover the costs. Taxes ensure everyone pays their share instead of mooching off someone else's goodwill. Everyone benefits a bit from mentally ill people being treated, why should just some people pool their money to make it happen?

quote:

These sound like really lovely businesses that would fail quickly if they weren't propped up by the state.

Sure things, no lovely business would survive if it wasn't propped up by the state.

Counterexamples: Ponzi schemes, homeopathy, reverse SMS billing, loan sharks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Mutato posted:

Not what I said. I said that if a certain group people were worse off, then it is because people simply don't care enough. I still believe that people in general would be better off, and not just people are already well off.

Why do you believe that, given that available data suggests exactly the opposite relationship between state-sponsored welfare and wellbeing, namely a positive one?

I'm extrapolating from the available data, not from a belief.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Mutato posted:

Why did it take an act of congress to get employers to stop locking the exits of firetrap factories, when surely it was in a worker's best interest not to work in a deathtrap. Why weren't they inundated with better offers from other employers?

Sure wealthy people would be able to afford premium treatment or their own private armies, but what about the poor? What's more cost-effective for investigation: respecting privacy, getting warrants, and adhering to Bill of Rights protections? Or is it cheaper to require subscribers of basic service to install cameras in their homes and allow DRO police to dig through their poo poo whenever? And remember that poor neighborhoods have higher crime rates, so they're already going to be paying a premium for protection and have basically no ability to renegotiate their contracts because the alternative is death. If I'm a DRO, it's in my self-interest to collaborate with other DRO's to keep prices high and costs low with a cartel agreement and work together to push out newcomers rather than to engage in profitability-destroying competition. And the barriers to newcomers are pretty high, since only having a recognized DRO will allow you to engage in commerce, so as the established DRO I can threaten to cancel coverage to any business that accepts upstart WhiteKnightDRO.

And what about employers who make signing on with the company DRO a requirement of the job? The choice of either society-enforced starvation or letting your boss come into your house and toss your bunk whenever doesn't sound like a free society to me: and keep in mind that mandatory employer home inspections actually happened and were entirely legal because the employees were only renting factory-owned quarters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Pullman#Pullman_company_town posted:

Pullman ruled the town like a feudal baron. He prohibited independent newspapers, public speeches, town meetings or open discussion. His inspectors regularly entered homes to inspect for cleanliness and could terminate workers' leases on ten days' notice. The church stood empty since no approved denomination would pay rent, and no other congregation was allowed. He prohibited private charitable organizations. In 1885 Richard Ely wrote in Harper's Weekly that the power exercised by Otto Von Bismarck (known as the unifier of modern Germany), was "utterly insignificant when compared with the ruling authority of the Pullman Palace Car Company in Pullman."
What you're essentially arguing for is feudalism: the entire country sectioned off into parcels of private property where the landowners have de facto absolute power because the laborers' lack of economic power means they "voluntarily" sign away all privacy and dignity in the face of certain death.

The Mutato posted:

Well first of all, assume you're not working for Pullman and are actually allowed to set up a charitable organization in your company town without your boss yanking away your family's livelihood as punishment: Even then, private charity isn't enough because of the free rider problem. It's the same reason that most everyone agrees we should fund the fire department through mandatory taxation: you can't just let uncovered houses burn down in a city or else fires get out of control and destroy whole neighborhoods, but if you cover everyone regardless of payment then it's to each individual's advantage to not pay the fee and depend on everyone else's payments to keep the fire department afloat, which becomes self-reinforcing as the fire department has to raise the fees to make up for losses through non-payment. This is why volunteer fire departments become impractical when a community exceeds a size at which social pressures are enough to enforce compliance.

"Everyone already votes for a government that funds the fire department through taxation, so why wouldn't they want to pay for it voluntarily?"
*Watches Chicago burn to cinders again*
"Huh, that was weird, I guess everyone must have made a rational decision to perish in a city-wide conflagration, all hail the free market!"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 18, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EvanSchenck posted:

Just making sure, for the claim that "Most of the country's population would be days of travel" from their nearest post office, you have no actual source. For example, you didn't read it in a book or see it in a documentary. You just looked at maps of population density for a given year. Did you compare that to a map of post office locations in the same year? If so, can I see that map? I haven't been able to find one. If you don't have an actual source, explain your process.

Again, consult the census data for the relevant times, see historical maps, and keep in mind what transport people had actual access to. The density map was just an illustration of general settlement patterns. Your local university or county library system probably has the appropriate historic maps. :)

EvanSchenck posted:

Based on the above I would assert that most of the people in this mountain wilderness in 1830 were not more than 1/2 days travel from a post office. 25 years down the line, if they decided they wanted to mail their letters by Lysander Spooner's service, all they needed to do was travel to his nearest office, 300 miles away in Baltimore, and make sure they were mailing them to somebody in one of America's four largest cities.

A half day one way travel by horse means an overnight stay somewhere in the process since they also have to come back home after spending time at the post office (and given how people did things back then, also spending time in town to purchase or sell things). I.e. days of travel.

And they'd also have to travel the same distance to use the US postal service to get the same services Spooner's outfit was offering (direct door to door delivery in the most major cities, since the US postal service at the time was only offering that in the same places Spooner was). It's amazing how you don't understand this bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Again, consult the census data for the relevant times, see historical maps, and keep in mind what transport people had actual access to. The density map was just an illustration of general settlement patterns. Your local university or county library system probably has the appropriate historic maps. :)

Haha. "I don't have to provide any proof and you should just assume I'm right, now please go do the research to prove that I'm right. Research that I've already totally done but don't want to post because that would make you lazy."

Do you ever argue in good faith? Like, even just for novelty's sake?