Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, it just occurred to me, didn't he already find Gallifrey? It's just sitting on the other side of the cracks in the universe (where the Atraxi also were...?) frozen in a single moment (but also aware and unfrozen enough to (a) send a message out across the cosmos and (b) cobble together an extra set of regenerations for the Doctor).

Yes, well... Wibbly wobbly spoilers impossible don't DOCTOR WHO!

... Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Republican Vampire posted:

It's like the Reapers in Mass Effect all over again.

"You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it" would be a pretty loving amazing tone for the resurrected PTSD Time Lords to take.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Isn't that also an image from the old stories? IIRC when Robin died, Little John and Alan-a-Dale helped him fire his last arrow, and they buried him where it landed.

I recall it fired short. So they ended burying him on top of the closet :v:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

"You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it" would be a pretty loving amazing tone for the resurrected PTSD Time Lords to take.

Yeah but they were totally unconvincing. The one in the first game went on and on about how they were beyond human comprehension, but his whole plot got sussed out by your secondary party members in like two minutes. In the second game you had that one whose whole big trump card was giving a mook some unimpressive buffs. IN the third game it kind of looks like they're stooges of some half-bright space baby. They were an unimpressive and unconvincing villain and I seriously don't get people who could take them seriously.

I think that Time Lords would look the same if the show brought them back and tried to paint them as all that and a bag of chips. That's why the post-Deadly Assassin take on them was so clever. Yes, they're ludicrously powerful, but no, there's no actual reason why they should be. You can understand it in terms of actual class relations and it doesn't make the mistaking of aiming for and inevitably missing mythic status.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Yeah but they were totally unconvincing. The one in the first game went on and on about how they were beyond human comprehension, but his whole plot got sussed out by your secondary party members in like two minutes. In the second game you had that one whose whole big trump card was giving a mook some unimpressive buffs. IN the third game it kind of looks like they're stooges of some half-bright space baby. They were an unimpressive and unconvincing villain and I seriously don't get people who could take them seriously.

I think that Time Lords would look the same if the show brought them back and tried to paint them as all that and a bag of chips. That's why the post-Deadly Assassin take on them was so clever. Yes, they're ludicrously powerful, but no, there's no actual reason why they should be. You can understand it in terms of actual class relations and it doesn't make the mistaking of aiming for and inevitably missing mythic status.

On the other hand this is a show about space Jesus fighting Robin Hood with a spoon

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

SKY COQ posted:

Ah yes. "Time Lords".

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

On the other hand this is a show about space Jesus fighting Robin Hood with a spoon

Why yes. That episode WAS terrible. What a persuasive argument to never try to not be terrible again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You're being unfair on Mass Effect 1 - you never understand the motives of the Reapers, just their plan from a mechanical point of view. That kind of Lovecraftian unknowable horror is something that's done well very rarely - especially in the greater fan canon of Lovecraft (including guys like Derleth in this) that miss the point entirely.

It is, however, done very very well at the end of The War Games, which remains the best portrayal of the Time Lords.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

You know what the best solution was for the Time Lords? Wiping them out entirely.

Thanks a loving bunch Mofftard.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Harlock posted:

They wasted Timothy Dalton as Rassilon. He would have been a great foil for Capaldi Doc as Master. Two ornery old guys going at it. Could also make it comical. The BBC version of Grumpy Old Men.

Robert Allam in a moustache as the Master

'Oh gently caress, it's you again; nice Robert Palmer hair you've got.'

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
BBC confirm titles and writers for Doctor Who Series 8

Various people who aren't Chris Chibnall posted:

Episode 1: Deep Breath
Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Ben Wheatley

Episode 2: Into The Dalek
Written by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat
Directed by Ben Wheatley
Introducing Samuel Anderson as Danny Pink.

Episode 3: Robot Of Sherwood
Written by Mark Gatiss
Directed by Paul Murphy

Episode 4: Listen
Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Douglas MacKinnon

Episode 5: Time Heist
Written by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat

Episode 6: The Caretaker
Written by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat
Directed by Paul Murphy

Episode 7: Kill The Moon
Written by Peter Harness
Directed by Paul Wilmshurst

Episode 8: Mummy On The Orient Express
Written by Jamie Mathieson
Directed by Paul Wilmshurst

Episode 9: Flatline
Written by Jamie Mathieson

Episode 10: In The Forest Of The Night
Written by Frank Cottrell Boyce
Directed by Sheree Folkson

Episode 11/12: Dark Water/Death In Heaven
Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Rachel Talalay

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Robot of Sherwood, Mummy on the Orient Express, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Vampires of Venice, we need a new episode have we done "<Monster> + <Historical Event>" yet? We'll start with the title and go from there.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A two parter? :holymoley:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Moffat is all over this season.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Mummy On The Orient Express

That has to be a callback to the phonecall Eleven got at the end of the Big Bang.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Senor Tron posted:

That has to be a callback to the phonecall Eleven got at the end of the Big Bang.

Dammit. I forgot about that. I was about to say, "Well, it can't be worse than The Unicorn and the Wasp". Now that it is a possible Moffat-wank, I'm not so sure.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Harlock posted:

A two parter? :holymoley:

A two-parter directed by the woman who brought us Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare and Tank Girl. So I really don't know what to expect from THAT.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Oh my God, are they actually going to do a "Doctor meets William Blake" story down there in episode 10? That's such an exciting prospect I'll be very sad when it doesn't happen/does happen and is poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

vegetables posted:

Oh my God, are they actually going to do a "Doctor meets William Blake" story down there in episode 10? That's such an exciting prospect I'll be very sad when it doesn't happen/does happen and is poo poo.

Nope, it's almost definitely the Vashta Narada episode that was rumoured.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Nope, it's almost definitely the Vashta Narada episode that was rumoured.

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Don't name an episode with a semi-abtruse literary allusion if you're not going to do anything with it!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're being unfair on Mass Effect 1 - you never understand the motives of the Reapers, just their plan from a mechanical point of view. That kind of Lovecraftian unknowable horror is something that's done well very rarely - especially in the greater fan canon of Lovecraft (including guys like Derleth in this) that miss the point entirely.

It is, however, done very very well at the end of The War Games, which remains the best portrayal of the Time Lords.

I really don't think I am. You might not understand their motives explicitly, but I don't think that you need to in order to go recognize that they're not really that special or intimidating.

The problem with aiming for the unknowable and ancient is that it's still conceived of by the human mind. If you file too many 'knowable' edges off, you get something painfully generic and arbitrary. That's what the Reapers are, and I'm afraid that that's how the Time Lords seem to me even during the trial scene. Making them knowable, and contemptible, will always be more interesting than waggling a stick in the direction of a few hoary cliches about things beyond human understanding.

To be honest the only time I think it's ever really been pulled off effectively in any medium is Roadside Picnic.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The problem with aiming for the unknowable and ancient is that it's still conceived of by the human mind. If you file too many 'knowable' edges off, you get something painfully generic and arbitrary.

Not necessarily, Lovecraft has plenty of variety in his works. Admittedly that variety includes a story in which the horrific twist is that a character is descended from black people but you can't have everything.

Making them knowable, and contemptible, will always be more interesting than waggling a stick in the direction of a few hoary cliches about things beyond human understanding.

Nah

vegetables posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Don't name an episode with a semi-abtruse literary allusion if you're not going to do anything with it!

The Tyger is not obscure or even semi-obscure. It's appeared in Doctor Who, for a start :colbert:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not necessarily, Lovecraft has plenty of variety in his works. Admittedly that variety includes a story in which the horrific twist is that a character is descended from black people but you can't have everything.
Lovecraft's most effective stories are ones that don't have anything to do with 'cosmic horror' though. The Rats in the Walls, The Picture in the House, The Music of Erich Zann and Dreams in the Witch House hold up way better than The Call of Cthulhu does.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dreams in the Witch House is pretty strongly related to the mythos.

However, I agree with the general point.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It's tied to the Mythos, but it's also a fairly straightforward science fiction story at its heart that has to do with the acquisition of knowledge and wrestling with that rather than big scary unknowable things.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Tyger is not obscure or even semi-obscure. It's appeared in Doctor Who, for a start :colbert:

True, but it's not a line most people would identify just by looking at it. You can have an abstruse reference to a well-known thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Dreams in the Witch House is pretty strongly related to the mythos.

The "mythos" isn't really a thing, Lovecraft just wrote lots of weird stories about a horrible amoral world and them being in a coherent or at least collected universe of good and evil is something that arose after his death, almost entirely due to the influence of August Derleth (who admittedly we have to largely thank for saving them from the dustbin of history).

Arthur Machen's another, less personally disgusting and less confusing-do-to-corporate-influence, example.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

To be fair to Lovecraft didn't he in fact retract a lot of his racist views in later life?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Music of Eric Zann is definitely about horrible things beyond man's ken

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair to Lovecraft didn't he in fact retract a lot of his racist views in later life?

I see no reason to be fair to Lovecraft.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Music of Eric Zann is definitely about horrible things beyond man's ken

But those horrible things are not personified and brought into the story. They just exist on the fringes as what is essentially window dressing.

That's why the Time Lords and Reapers fall flat. They're brought into the story in a way that demands specificity. Specificity diminishes them. But without it, they're just generic ciphers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Lovecraft is a strange, strange man.

I'm still not sure how much of his racism was honestly held by him, how much was born from his general and LONG list of psychosis, and how much was just culture and upbringing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That's why the Time Lords and Reapers fall flat. They're brought into the story in a way that demands specificity.

Not so much in The War Games, you learn very very little about the Time Lords other than a) the Doctor being terrified of them and b) the best efforts of the villains of the serial are just a trivial joke to them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Irish Joe posted:

Moffat is all over this season.

He did six episodes in Season 5, too. I wonder if he's so involved because it's a new Doctor again.

I also wonder if they've adopted American-style credits, in that if the showrunner comes in and does a rewrite, he gets a credit, too. (Sort of like how RTD rewrote Phil Ford on The Waters of Mars.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Did they use music from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in that episode?

I guess that makes sense, since I think they used music from The Dark Knight in Deep Breath.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rita Repulsa posted:

Robot of Sherwood, Mummy on the Orient Express, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Vampires of Venice, we need a new episode have we done "<Monster> + <Historical Event>" yet? We'll start with the title and go from there.

You have a funny definition of "historical event".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

thrawn527 posted:

You have a funny definition of "historical event".

I'll say, Venice and Sherwood are places! :v:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

And the Orient Express is a train.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

It would be cool if Mummy on the Orient Express somehow tied into Pyramids of Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Tace Vim posted:

It would be cool if Mummy on the Orient Express somehow tied into Pyramids of Mars.

I prefer it when nothing ties to anything, to be honest. Too much continuity makes the universe seem small; have like a million aliens active in Ancient Egypt that have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.

• Locked thread