Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
My haul is also mostly friendship and memories. There weren't really any new games I was dying to pick up, and I spent so much time in Writer's Symposium panels that I probably spent less time than ever in the exhibitors' hall.

They did a really nice job with the Writer's Symposium, btw. It was easily as well-organized and content-rich as Trade Day was last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012
My haul

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

In other news, Tom Vasel almost let me take and Eldritch Horror organizer from him and his friend for free (original retail $45, cut down to $20) because I didn't have enough cash on me (he wanted me to PayPal him instead later, so it wasn't really free), but I took it and scraped some change together to pay him back right there.

(Cue me buying up a ton of things to organize my board game components now)

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 18, 2014

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
A picture of my GenCon haul wouldn't be able to capture the stolen bag of $190 worth of not-available-in-stores games.

:negative:

Meeting the goons was a pleasure though!

EDIT: Also this trip was one of the most "story"-ridden vacations I've ever had. I got back from a 15 hour drive today; after I have some energy there will be a recap.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 18, 2014

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

The hardest part about the end of Gencon is the next day when you wake up at home, and look around. Nothing to rush to, no friends immediately to talk to and you have no manager's reception to look forward to. :(

It was a great year this year, picked up some books to pad my library of tabletop resources, and a few board games. The wife picked up mainly board games and card games. The brown bag in the shot below is a bracelet for my wife I picked up at the metalworking jewelry booth.

Not shown is Rampage, two Bravest warriors decks, and Raaarrr!.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
Hello goons. I didn't know there was a thread because I suck. I'm the one who sent pictures of naked people through the groupMe. Thank you for not being horrible people when I met strangers from the internet, you were all great.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Thanks for another fun year. I'm finally back home.

The haul (sorry no pic):

A few DarkSword minis. A few StoneHaven minis. I had to back away from that booth or I would have spent a ton.

A 5e D&D PHB and MM. Some goofy novelty dice. T-shirts for myself and the wife, and a stuffed dragon for my son.

I managed to spend less this year than last year, somehow.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I think just from guesstimating from what I saw at previous cons much less bronys and Homestuck people. Tf2 characters almost endangered animal levels. The internet cultural biodiversity is changing!

Got a copy of Summoner Wars latest dudes, Porto Rico, Space Alert and its XP, and a copy of Space Realms. And paid for my entire con with a single Magic card I had since I was 15.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Junkie Disease posted:

I think just from guesstimating from what I saw at previous cons much less bronys and Homestuck people. Tf2 characters almost endangered animal levels. The internet cultural biodiversity is changing!

The male:female ratio seemed to be way up this year as well.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
My haul was rather sparse... I think?

Chimera
Catbug Plushie
Frog Plushie x2
BattleCON Strikers
BattleCON Promos
BattleCON Playmat
BattleCON Artbook (signed w/ sketches by artist and designer)
The Spoils Playmat

Also played in True Dungeon and ended up with a purple (ultra rare) chip for the few of you who care.

'Twas my first Gen Con. I will be back, and I'll bring a smart phone next time so I can actually meet some of you folks.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I had a great time. I didn't do any of the GroupMe or Goon stuff because I was rushing all over as it was trying to do too many panels and games.

Played 13th Age, played Delta Green with freaking Greg Stolze, and played Dungeon World. Games on Demand was fantastically cool and I wish I'd been able to play even more. We also ran into a group of cool people at the Ram and stayed until close being loud and playing Lost Legacy.

My haul isn't really worth photographing; I got all the 13th Age hardcovers and Night's Black Agents, along with too many dice, some miniatures, and a Pokemon themed baby bib for some friends. Kenneth Hite and Greg Stolze were also kind enough to sign my books, along with fantasy author Sam Sykes.

It was only the second GenCon I'd been to, but it was just great. Having a hotel nearby made an incredible difference, too.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Spent too much!

Doomtown Premium
Shadowrun: Crossfire
Space Cadets: Dice Duels
7 Card Slugfest
Sellswords
Fear Itself
Ashen Stars
and some GameScience dice

This was my first GenCon, so I was pretty wiped out from everything and didn't get to see nearly as many goons as I'd hoped, though I did get to try out Tragedy Looper with some goons (couldn't buy a copy, though :argh:). Hoping to do it all again next year!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
My biggest surprise this year was how few Guardians of the Galaxy cosplayers I saw. I figured those would be crawling out of the woodwork by the dozens.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
First Gencon was incredible. I only bought a couple of things, but my memories are worth millions :)

I got:
The Art of Argent and The Art of Battlecon, the second one autographed and sketched in by the artist
A bunch of tiny Pokemon figures
Battlecon promo cards from the tournament
A really cute TARDIS no-sew wall hanging I made in a class
A Sunlight Cream Ale shirt from the goon brew tour
And this:

A playmat used in the Battlecon tournament and signed by Brad Talton himself!

Omega Goo, I'm sorry I didn't recognize you at the tournament. Alien Rope Burn, thanks for the games. And to everyone on the beer walk (especially camoseven, TheHoosier, and Ego Trip) I had a blast with you guys. Maybe we can make that a tradition!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So many games. So many.

A huge tip of the hat to the awesome Dungeon World game on Friday. I really want to try to run a game of it with some non-RPG-ers, because I think it would make a hell of a way to get them into the game. The gonzo factor reminded me a lot of Old School Hack.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Omega Goo, I'm sorry I didn't recognize you at the tournament. Alien Rope Burn, thanks for the games. And to everyone on the beer walk (especially camoseven, TheHoosier, and Ego Trip) I had a blast with you guys. Maybe we can make that a tradition!

Wait, you were there?

... if I may be so bold, who were you? I got third, I was at the undefeated table for the final round.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

Wait, you were there?

... if I may be so bold, who were you? I got third, I was at the undefeated table for the final round.

I was the only female player, and I got last place. I was running Lesandra/Karin/Shekhtur.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Trynant posted:

A picture of my GenCon haul wouldn't be able to capture the stolen bag of $190 worth of not-available-in-stores games.

:negative:

Meeting the goons was a pleasure though!

EDIT: Also this trip was one of the most "story"-ridden vacations I've ever had. I got back from a 15 hour drive today; after I have some energy there will be a recap.

Make sure you post on the Gen Con forums and on Reddit. It's a longshot but you never know.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I was the only female player, and I got last place. I was running Lesandra/Karin/Shekhtur.

Uh... hi. I gave you your crash course in Malandrax. Pleasure to meet you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Trustworthy I miss you :( please come and join me in the warm embrace of death again next year!

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Hello goons. I didn't know there was a thread because I suck. I'm the one who sent pictures of naked people through the groupMe.
I think this is worth a brief recap since it was my biggest Gen-Con "!?!?" moment in years.

MudMerch: Hey come to this cosplay booth!
Quarex: Hah, sure... if you have pictures of the single cosplayer whose pictures I have ever been truly intrigued by! :smug:
MudMerch: She is working the booth right now.
Quarex: :stare:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

Uh... hi. I gave you your crash course in Malandrax. Pleasure to meet you.

... Well poo poo. I had no idea you were a goon! :roflolmao: I was really impressed.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I know there were at least four of us there now, although one of them didn't actually get a chance to play.

I'm still trying to place Alien Rope Burn. Gutter Owl stopped by and said hi during the tournament because we had met the previous night for some BattleCON and Tash-Kalar. I blame her for my capable Aria play.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I brought home the VS System 2014 Preview, Legendary Villains, and thanks to Mudcrab Merchant I also got Warhammer 40k Conquest. Got screwed out of a pre-order copy but a goonnette came through for the save. Thanks again!

Though I enjoy their IPs, it gives me great pleasure to see Games Workshop with their meager rear end booth. Maybe they'll start to rethink their current business model...

Had an absolute blast. Can't wait for next year.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

You guys are killing me with your loot photos. The 40lbs of games I shipped home won't show up until Thursday :cry:

Awesome times all around this year! I'm always pleasantly surprised at how ungoony the goons I meet are and I had a blast with everyone I met and gamed with. Already looking forward to next year.

Hey Quarex, did anyone end up buying those neon d20 signs at TOVA? They were pretty cool but $250 each seemed nuts.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
GW had a booth? I didn't even notice one.

Peas and Rice posted:

A huge tip of the hat to the awesome Dungeon World game on Friday. I really want to try to run a game of it with some non-RPG-ers, because I think it would make a hell of a way to get them into the game. The gonzo factor reminded me a lot of Old School Hack.

If you were in the one Friday night at the Marriott, yeah that was awesome.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ritorix posted:

If you were in the one Friday night at the Marriott, yeah that was awesome.

That's the one. Whomever was playing the Prince(ss) class was rocking it. It turned a potential gimmick into a great part of the game.

E: Where would one find that class? Is it this? http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/119777/The-Princess-a-Dungeon-World-and-FAE-playbook

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Lawen posted:

You guys are killing me with your loot photos. The 40lbs of games I shipped home won't show up until Thursday :cry:

Awesome times all around this year! I'm always pleasantly surprised at how ungoony the goons I meet are and I had a blast with everyone I met and gamed with. Already looking forward to next year.

Hey Quarex, did anyone end up buying those neon d20 signs at TOVA? They were pretty cool but $250 each seemed nuts.

I met you briefly last year as well but you were a cool dude. I understand you may go to DiceTower con next year in Orlando - if so I'll probably see you there.

But yeah every goon I've met at GenCon has been totally cool.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

ritorix posted:

GW had a booth? I didn't even notice one.

The Forge World one maybe? Otherwise there wasn't a GW presence in the vendor hall beyond re-sellers with plastic mans.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Quarex posted:

Trustworthy I miss you :( please come and join me in the warm embrace of death again next year!

I recently became a full-time freelancer, and because I'm a weirdo, right now my #1 motivating metric for success is whether I'll be able to swing a full Weds-Sun Gen Con trip next year. Bonus points if I can stay at a ICC-adjacent hotel for the first time.

I'm a Gen Con lifer, I'm afraid. :unsmith:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My pulls from Gencon were mostly camaraderie and getting in game time as well. I played about 9 hours straight of Call of Cthulhu on Friday and tried out Star Wars Edge of the Empire, which is a pretty cool system. I also got to play games with goons which is always awesome.

My pulls for myself:
Devastation of Indines
Shadowrun 5E GM screen

For my friends:
The Duke
Hatsune Miku promo game mat

I bet on some stuff at the auctions but didn't win any. I almost paid $40 for VtES cards but stopped myself since my 14 decks have been gathering dust over the last couple of years.

My problem was mostly that I already had most the books I wanted in PDF form and I wasn't terribly excited about most of the new games. I would have liked Conquest but I'm willing to wait for it and I would rather get Dark Heresy 2nd Edition in PDF since it's huge. I'm also really cheap and would rather get something for a deal from Coolstuff, Amazon, or DriveThruRPG than pay MSRP.

EDIT: Flying into Indiapolis also kills any desire to buy board games since you have to lug them home.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 18, 2014

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

nesbit37 posted:

The Forge World one maybe? Otherwise there wasn't a GW presence in the vendor hall beyond re-sellers with plastic mans.

There was a booth joined to the Forge World one with the GW logo and a nice but desperate and sad looking attendant wearing a GW shirt and hocking GW wares. It was very tiny.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Peas and Rice posted:

That's the one. Whomever was playing the Prince(ss) class was rocking it. It turned a potential gimmick into a great part of the game.

E: Where would one find that class? Is it this? http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/119777/The-Princess-a-Dungeon-World-and-FAE-playbook

Haha yeah the princess was a great playbook and you all nailed the classes.

I got it from the list here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540201
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_W1uSpYihHpZk9MWFJWRFNWTGM/edit

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Had an amazing time. Didn't get to meet up with any goons (that I know of!) since I was there with a bunch of other friends and visiting tons of other friends from all over throughout the week as well, but glad to hear everyone seemed to have a great time. :)

I spent way, wayyy more than I expected to, and almost couldn't fit everything in the extra luggage I brought, almost had to resort to shipping things back.
Here's a list, since I don't think I can post a pic direct from the SA app.

Dead of Winter
Sheriff of Nottingham
Black Fleet
LotR: RotK DBG
Hobbit DBG DoS xpac
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Toledo
Livestock Uprising
Pandemic Contagion
Trains map pack
Jab
Coin Age
This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 of Us
Burgoo
[some other $5 micro from Tasty Minstrel Game I can't remember]
Dungeon Roll hero pack
3'x3' Death Star-esque game mat
Age of War
Star Wars Empire vs Rebellion
XWing Rebel Aces
XWing Decimator
XWing YT2400
Valley of the Kings
Lost Legacy Starship
Lost Legacy Garden
Cypher
Sellswords
Heroes Wanted
VS System GenCon starter

...and I'm probably forgetting another small game or two. o_O

Can't wait to get home and spend more time with all this stuff!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

I thought that was you, but I was too shy to ask. I was the blonde lady who asked if you had physically vaporized your opponent.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

I thought that was you, but I was too shy to ask. I was the blonde lady who asked if you had physically vaporized your opponent.

Oh my god :) you were so nice! I was hoping to meet you all weekend, but I didn't realize that I had.

I wanted to meet Quarex too, but never got the chance.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got Shadowrun Crossfire + the swag for being in the first 50 people, Shadows of Brimstone City of the Anvients, one of the Adopt a Beholder beholders, and some Dark Age miniatures. Plus liver damage. Probably lots and lots of liver damage.

But hey the family medical emergency worked out and nobody died so that's a net positive.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Any of you lucky bastards who bought Shadowrun: Crossfire get to play it yet? I've gotten my hopes up for this one.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

FuSchnick posted:

Any of you lucky bastards who bought Shadowrun: Crossfire get to play it yet? I've gotten my hopes up for this one.

I did. It's really loving hard but seems like it will be a lot of fun. It's basically a slightly more complex Pathfinder Card Game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FuSchnick posted:

We played a couple rounds in the hotel lobby. It seems like a lot of fun. The first game we lost because of a rule reading error that cost us the game in scene 2 but it was quite enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TheHoosier posted:

There was a booth joined to the Forge World one with the GW logo and a nice but desperate and sad looking attendant wearing a GW shirt and hocking GW wares. It was very tiny.

It was just sad to see, yeah.

Also, I lost my copy of Puzzle Strike 3rd, and there wasn't a replacement copy to be found in the hall all con! The folks that normally hawk Sirlin Games (Game Salute) hadn't brought any copies. The only event for it was a one-time demo somewhere in that massive game hall I'd passed up on because why would I play a demo? Amazing.

Sounds like us BattleCON folks need to have a special meetup next year, I didn't meet or recognize half the goons playing it, as it turns out! Still was crazy and cool to get to be in the first tourney.

• Locked thread