Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Second episode of this Outlander show was alright but ugh, that preview...

I was hoping it would turn out like a Scottish Jin after hearing "time-traveling medic" but apparently its just a soap?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So besides poorly justified T&A, is Legends actually any good?

Also how long to you expect a show with Sean Bean in the lead to last? I mean they HAVE TO kill him off at some point right?

That's either a really poorly modelled banyan tree or those are not banyan trees Mr. Locke.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah I mean this is television, let's have all women fully covered up at all times like they should be please.

I always thought tv shows needed more burqas.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TNT is actually using the "Sean Bean dies in everything" idea in their advertising.

As for the show itself, I liked the first episode well enough. Turns out Bean can actually turn off the accent whenever he wants (although he normally has the accent as the FBI agent with the excuse is that his dad was in the military) and his first undercover was against his normal type as kind of a schlubby guy. They set up an overarching mystery to the show where Bean is told that everything he knows about himself is a lie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this? posted:

They set up an overarching mystery to the show where Bean is told that everything he knows about himself is a lie.

The twist is that Sean Bean has been dead all along.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The one thing I found kind of annoying about the show is that they explain the title by saying that the FBI refers to cover identities as "Legends." I don't know if this is true or not but the show really wanted to drive it in with characters constantly talking about Legend this and Legend that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sounds like bullshit to me, for we'd probably have heard it before if it was true.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Jon Lajoie is solid. Jason Mantzoukas too, even if he only really ever plays one character.

I like to think that Jason Mantzoukas is just like that in real life.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

the posted:

RE: Lost

I know they only planned on having Ben in like 3 episodes but later expanded his character, obviously. But did they ever reveal what his original arc was going to be? Like would he just die after 3 episodes or something? Or was he planned on not actually being an Other?

They gave themselves an out where, if Emerson or the arc itself wasn't working, they could kill him off and just have him be one of the 'others' who answered to a leader. It was during filming that they just decided that Emerson would carry on and be the leader.

For as much poo poo as the show eventually gets, they did actually an Option A/Option B for a lot of things in case stuff didn't work out. The only thing that really crumbled in their hands was the Mr Eko stuff, seeing as Lindelof and Cuse confirmed that he was meant to be a big part of the show going forward, and would serve as the antitheses of John Locke.

I can't help wondering if the end of the show might've been a bit more palatable if you have that strong religious component there throughout. It's easy to see that Eko/Locke would've been set up as the new Jacob etc.

As for Legends, as ridiculous as it is that they give a reason for Bean's accent, I really wish more shows would do it for people whose accents are not that strong. It takes one line of dialogue and that's it. As much as I like The Knick, Clive Owen has proven quite a few times that he accent work is wavy at best. Does the show really lose anything from him keeping his natural voice? No.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Someone cast David Boreanaz as an Irishman please

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Irish Joe posted:

So I watched the first three episodes of Garfunkle and Oates, and here's a quick rundown on why its awful:

1) There are no jokes.

There are no set-ups and punchlines. The characters don't say witty things, make humorous observations or reference shared cultural touchstones in funny ways. All the humor in the show comes from things happening around and to the main characters, but while that would be funny in a show like Curb Your Enthusiasm or Louie, its not in Garfield and Oats because,

2) The protagonists are too passive.

When something bad happens to Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm, its a direct result of his earlier actions. Larry David drives the action of his show. He has goals, objectives and a viewpoint, and reacts appropriately when things don't go his way. In Garfeld and Oaks, the characters don't react to anything. They don't express opinions. The don't have goals, objectives or viewpoints of their own. In one of the episodes, Oaks dresses is forced to dress like a slut to get a part in a Hollywood movie. She's ugly and mousy and clearly doesn't look the part. Its a funny premise, but because she doesn't react at all to what's happening to her, all the humor is drained out of it. She quietly stands around while Natasha Leggero dresses her in a ridiculous outfit. She stays stonefaced throughout her disastrous audition with a famous movie star. And, finally, she doesn't react at all to being thrown out of a toy store after being mistaken for a whore. At no point do we learn what she's thinking, how she's feeling or have any understanding why she's doing this except "its a tv show."

3) The songs are terrible.

I understand the appeal ukelele parody songs have to a generation raised on My Little Pony, but as an older adult, they're really off-putting. Even if the lyrics were incredibly funny and clever (they're not), they're still ostensibly singing children's songs. The dirty Sesame Street thing is a one-note joke (not to mention old hat), and Garbled and Oafs are running it straight into the ground.

I haven't even touched how twee the show is, but I think that goes without saying. When its all said and done, Garmel and Ogl is an awful show and I hope I this warning saves y'all an hour of your lives.

This show is pretty horrible, but it did lead to some woman on twitter getting into a slapfight with David Sims yesterday because the AVClub doesn't review it all social justice style.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

On The Price is Right, people outbid other people all the time by adding a dollar to whatever the last bid was, but I think today is the first time I've ever seen someone bid a dollar less than someone else. Drew Carey was speechless, like he wanted to tell the guy how loving stupid that was but he wasn't allowed to.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

GreenNight posted:

Sounds like bullshit to me, for we'd probably have heard it before if it was true.

They're pushing it as an FBI thing when actually 'legend' meaning an agent's false identity is donkeys years old and not confined to the US security community. I heard it at least twenty years ago in the UK.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They're pushing it as an FBI thing when actually 'legend' meaning an agent's false identity is donkeys years old and not confined to the US security community. I heard it at least twenty years ago in the UK.

You're the second person to mention the UK as this phrase being from, to me, so that's not surprising as I'm culturally illiterate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Can't wait for the Drunk Hannah cooking show and PewDiePie on Comedy Central.

I haven't watched it in a year or two but My Drunk Kitchen used to be hilarious and would be pretty cool on CC.

bentacos posted:

I like to think that Jason Mantzoukas is just like that in real life.

I think he is, if you listen to How Did This Get Made? he talks like a slightly smarter Rafi. Also he uses the word "literally" literally all the time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

raditts posted:

On The Price is Right, people outbid other people all the time by adding a dollar to whatever the last bid was, but I think today is the first time I've ever seen someone bid a dollar less than someone else. Drew Carey was speechless, like he wanted to tell the guy how loving stupid that was but he wasn't allowed to.

No, I've definitely seen that happen in the Bob Barker era, some people just aren't very bright.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

I haven't watched it in a year or two but My Drunk Kitchen used to be hilarious and would be pretty cool on CC.

If G4 didn't only technically exist at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they gave loving pewdiepie a TV show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

If G4 didn't only technically exist at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they gave loving pewdiepie a TV show.

The fact that dude is literally a millionaire is very depressing and makes me feel old. I mean, I know he gives money to charity and whatever but I can't even make it 10 seconds through one of his videos, I don't get it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
At one point eBaum's world was going to get its own show. Old media trying to co-opt the internet is almost always terrible.

precision posted:

The fact that dude is literally a millionaire is very depressing and makes me feel old. I mean, I know he gives money to charity and whatever but I can't even make it 10 seconds through one of his videos, I don't get it.

Kids watch his videos because they can't afford to buy video games. Aside from that he's basically Fred all over again only edgier.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

At one point eBaum's world was going to get its own show. Old media trying to co-opt the internet is almost always terrible.

I saw a Honey Nut Cheerios ad last night with "Grumpy Cat" (I'm not sure they even bothered to get the real cat). :ughh:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I think I have officially gotten old because I had no idea what either of those youtube channels are and I'm ok with that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pewdiepie has the most subscribers on Youtube so he makes $4 million a year playing video games and yelling into the camera. He's a good looking dude though so I think he also has a lot of female fans. I don't know his secret. Maybe it's his accent.

I only know about Drunk Hannah because I was looking for home pizza recipes and her video came up but it was just a bunch of bullshit.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My Drunk Kitchen is sort of a take it or leave it show. You probably know going in whether people/a person getting drunk and doing weird poo poo while making some fun recipes sounds entertaining to you. At least Hannah Hart does possess some on-camera talent, which is more than I could say about Pewdiepie.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irish Joe posted:

So I watched the first three episodes of Garfunkle and Oates, and here's a quick rundown on why its awful:

1) There are no jokes.

There are no set-ups and punchlines. The characters don't say witty things, make humorous observations or reference shared cultural touchstones in funny ways. All the humor in the show comes from things happening around and to the main characters, but while that would be funny in a show like Curb Your Enthusiasm or Louie, its not in Garfield and Oats because,

2) The protagonists are too passive.

When something bad happens to Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm, its a direct result of his earlier actions. Larry David drives the action of his show. He has goals, objectives and a viewpoint, and reacts appropriately when things don't go his way. In Garfeld and Oaks, the characters don't react to anything. They don't express opinions. The don't have goals, objectives or viewpoints of their own. In one of the episodes, Oaks dresses is forced to dress like a slut to get a part in a Hollywood movie. She's ugly and mousy and clearly doesn't look the part. Its a funny premise, but because she doesn't react at all to what's happening to her, all the humor is drained out of it. She quietly stands around while Natasha Leggero dresses her in a ridiculous outfit. She stays stonefaced throughout her disastrous audition with a famous movie star. And, finally, she doesn't react at all to being thrown out of a toy store after being mistaken for a whore. At no point do we learn what she's thinking, how she's feeling or have any understanding why she's doing this except "its a tv show."

3) The songs are terrible.

I understand the appeal ukelele parody songs have to a generation raised on My Little Pony, but as an older adult, they're really off-putting. Even if the lyrics were incredibly funny and clever (they're not), they're still ostensibly singing children's songs. The dirty Sesame Street thing is a one-note joke (not to mention old hat), and Garbled and Oafs are running it straight into the ground.

I haven't even touched how twee the show is, but I think that goes without saying. When its all said and done, Garmel and Ogl is an awful show and I hope I this warning saves y'all an hour of your lives.
I haven't seen episode 3 but episode 2 was drastically better from the pilot. But yeah, I hope the whole schtick of the show is not the two of them just coasting through scene letting things happen to them and letting it wash over them like it's nothing. At a certain point obliviousness as a character trait gets boring if it's applied to everything (really, how sheltered can they be if they think people on youtube telling them 'to go make a sandwich' in this day and age is a compliment is beyond me). I'm almost certain the two of them are writing/in charge of mostly the whole thing, so maybe they just aren't familiar with the fact TV or have anyone to step in and tell them otherwise, which is odd. Unless IFC or whoever is producing it doesn't really care what comes out of the other end for some reason or other.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GreenNight posted:

It is true about the term 'legends'. In most security agencies not just the FBI though.

edit:gently caress beaten.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

(really, how sheltered can they be if they think people on youtube telling them 'to go make a sandwich' in this day and age is a compliment is beyond me)

The joke you see is that they took it in the sense that it means they're skinny ("go eat a burger!" type comments). I'm not saying it's an amazing joke, but it seems like you may have missed its intention.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

precision posted:

The joke you see is that they took it in the sense that it means they're skinny ("go eat a burger!" type comments). I'm not saying it's an amazing joke, but it seems like you may have missed its intention.
No the joke was that the people on twitter/youtube/etc said they should be murdered while making them sandwiches. I suppose they understand the actual insult (classic misogyny et. al) but the reaction of "I'm surprised they think we can cook" kinda fell flat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've just watched the first episode of Legends and yeahhh, the Ali Larter stuff is one of the laziest and creepiest uses of an acrtess I've seen in a long time. She's introduced as the hero's boss, but is immediately shown to have no real authority over him, then it's revealed that she sleeps with subordinates (the hero), and then she falls through a plot hole into a stripper bar where she's in lingerie.
Contrast that to the first (I believe) episode of Heroes where Ali Larter also appears writhing around in her undies, but then it is revealed that she's a single parent reduced to doing that as a way of providing for her son.

There's a world of difference in the context behind the two basic premises of "let's put Ali Larter in skimpies it'll be hot." Legends has other problems with bad writing (primarily far too much exposition), but the portrayal of Larter's character is atrocious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

poo poo, now Sharlto Copely is in Powers. I'm actually getting kinda excited for this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MrAristocrates posted:

poo poo, now Sharlto Copely is in Powers. I'm actually getting kinda excited for this.

And Michelle Forbes, though (anybody who's committed to the TV series without reading the comics probably shouldn't read this as they seem to be playing this like a shock reveal) I'm surprised since Retro Girl is dead when we open the comics, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of flashing back to her. Is the first season going to be "Who Killed Retro Girl?" That seemed like a one-episode plot at most.

Copely as Walker is interesting, though: he doesn't have Christian Walker's bulky figure, and is a Nicolas Cage-esque actor sliding into a more straight-and-narrow role.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

And Michelle Forbes, though (anybody who's committed to the TV series without reading the comics probably shouldn't read this as they seem to be playing this like a shock reveal) I'm surprised since Retro Girl is dead when we open the comics, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of flashing back to her. Is the first season going to be "Who Killed Retro Girl?" That seemed like a one-episode plot at most.

Copely as Walker is interesting, though: he doesn't have Christian Walker's bulky figure, and is a Nicolas Cage-esque actor sliding into a more straight-and-narrow role.

They've made a bunch of changes.

Wolfe is normally a shriveled old man, or a bodybuilder in flashbacks, and Forbes is a good 20 years older than Retro Girl is drawn.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Caught up on Girl Meets World over the weekend and if anyone bowed out after the first 1 or 2 episodes, it's gotten way better.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Caught up on Girl Meets World over the weekend and if anyone bowed out after the first 1 or 2 episodes, it's gotten way better.

Good. I was afraid that a children's tv show wasn't going to live up to my high standards for that sort of entertainment.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

They've made a bunch of changes.

Wolfe is normally a shriveled old man, or a bodybuilder in flashbacks, and Forbes is a good 20 years older than Retro Girl is drawn.

I don't know who Charlie Huston is, but I've met a couple of people around these parts who swear by him, so I'm definitely interested.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

JohnSherman posted:

Good. I was afraid that a children's tv show wasn't going to live up to my high standards for that sort of entertainment.

It's still not as good as Star Trek, but meh.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

It seemed like they were lining up Forbes to be a regular on Orphan Black next season. Not sure if that influences how much she'll be on Powers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sportsgenius86 posted:

Does it stop doing the kinda uncomfortable 'her friend's life is trash' thing? Like, I get she's the new Shawn but we constantly saw that Shawn had a decent dad despite his flaws and even though they were low class his trailer park was mostly decent people and all.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
In other news, Here is the complete schedule for FXX's Simpsons Marathon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hcreight posted:

It seemed like they were lining up Forbes to be a regular on Orphan Black next season. Not sure if that influences how much she'll be on Powers.

Eh, everything is filmed in Canada using the same actors. I've seen some of them show up on like 3 shows simultaneously. I don't think there will be a problem with her being on two shows at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her role on Powers is small if it follows the comics.

• Locked thread