Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

If Canada ever turns against us, we'd have way bigger troubles than not having new uranium from them.

For instance, a shortage of maple syrup?

Canada is basically the 51st American state anyway with the current government :ironicat:, and it's unlikely a big resource rich country bordering the US will ever manage to escape US influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

For instance, a shortage of maple syrup?

Canada is basically the 51st American state anyway with the current government :ironicat:, and it's unlikely a big resource rich country bordering the US will ever manage to escape US influence.

It can't be the 51st state or else Texas will get pissed because Canada is just a bigger Texas of the north.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

The problem becomes that both conversations of "what is going to happen realistically?" and "what should we do if I could wave a magic wand?" both end up kinda boring. If we talk about waving a magic wand, people just decide that some things are changeable with the magic wand (politics) but other things aren't (public opinion) or whatever. I'd use my magic wand powers to increase energy efficiency to maximum. Then we're arguing about two fantasies, neither of which are close to reality. On the flip side, arguing about reality is just depressing or smug as it ends with "well, we will see who is right in 2050! If we all still can afford electricity....".

edit: magic wand, not magic people.

Public perception can be changed with public education and public outreach. Look at how much we've managed to shift public perception against cigarettes in the United States; smoking bans in bars were unheard of 20 years ago, and then 10 years ago it was becoming pretty common, and today it's harder to find a place that allows smoking than it is to find a place that doesn't. The average person is okay with this series of events because of large shifts in public perception, primarily delivered via education and outreach.

The counterargument against nuclear power is that public perception is against it, and we can't change public perception. However, we know that the latter part of that statement isn't true. It's actually not even that hard to do, if you have some funding. But it does take time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Public perception can be changed with public education and public outreach. Look at how much we've managed to shift public perception against cigarettes in the United States; smoking bans in bars were unheard of 20 years ago, and then 10 years ago it was becoming pretty common, and today it's harder to find a place that allows smoking than it is to find a place that doesn't. The average person is okay with this series of events because of large shifts in public perception, primarily delivered via education and outreach.

The counterargument against nuclear power is that public perception is against it, and we can't change public perception. However, we know that the latter part of that statement isn't true. It's actually not even that hard to do, if you have some funding. But it does take time.

I just picked politics and public perception as examples of how that kind of dialog breaks down. If we're talking about nebulous concepts such as "changing public opinion on nuclear power" or "making energy efficiency a cultural value" it becomes relatively impossible situation to weight alternatives. No one has a good grasp of the costs of any cultural or social change. Not just in the costs of advocacy but the costs of time.

Without well defined constrains to a normative discussion like that it boils down to different people's ideas of how much change is "acceptable" or "doable". Or we devolve into utopian alternatives. Meanwhile the descriptive discussion is rather depressing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There is a fundamental difference between those two concepts, though, and we can certainly discuss that. Making energy efficiency a "cultural value" would require people to make sacrifices, sometimes significant sacrifices, in order to significantly drive down fossil fuel consumption.

Improving public perception of nuclear power only requires that we sacrifice our ignorance

There's also no reason that we couldn't try to do both of these things. Energy efficiency actually does improve each year, but we could do better. And while public perception of nuclear power took a significant downturn after Fukushima, there are still several strong rationalist arguments to be made for it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

There is a fundamental difference between those two concepts, though, and we can certainly discuss that. Making energy efficiency a "cultural value" would require people to make sacrifices, sometimes significant sacrifices, in order to significantly drive down fossil fuel consumption.

Improving public perception of nuclear power only requires that we sacrifice our ignorance

There's also no reason that we couldn't try to do both of these things. Energy efficiency actually does improve each year, but we could do better. And while public perception of nuclear power took a significant downturn after Fukushima, there are still several strong rationalist arguments to be made for it.

My point is we can argue about these topics but to what end? To call more of D&D to arms? Or to debate hypotheticals?

If it is a call to arms, then a more useful discussion would be how to do these things rather than which. For example, how would one change public perseption of nuclear? Or how would one change perceptions of recycled water?

If we're debating hypotheticals then all the problems of loosely defined hypothetical conversations abound.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Energy efficiency *is* (becoming) a cultural value though, it's just driven primarily by economics than anything else.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

Energy efficiency *is* (becoming) a cultural value though, it's just driven primarily by economics than anything else.

Guys it was an example hypothetical in a post about how hypothetical conversations get nowhere fast, don't read too much into it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

computer parts posted:

We've actually all already agreed on that, but thank you for your input anyway

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A hippie friend just posted a water usage/MWH chart that had solar at 0 therefore the best.

Obviously solar is awesome for various reasons but still not really great everywhere or for everything. But for water usage specifically, doesn't water used in power plants just end up being reused or steamed out and come back down as rainfall? Do we actually 'lose' potable water at some point?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nevvy Z posted:

A hippie friend just posted a water usage/MWH chart that had solar at 0 therefore the best.

Obviously solar is awesome for various reasons but still not really great everywhere or for everything. But for water usage specifically, doesn't water used in power plants just end up being reused or steamed out and come back down as rainfall? Do we actually 'lose' potable water at some point?

I think it's more an opportunity cost (so, you can't use that water for something else if you're using it for cooling) and depending where you draw it from there can be environmental concerns.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

Article on that info graphic.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nevvy Z posted:

I'd be more critical of water contamination. Coal plants have the capacity of to introduce horrific quantities of fly ash to rivers (see: Duke Energy). Fracking uses many millions of gallons of water to break up shale, introducing chemicals into the water that renders it (questionably, for lack of transparency based on claims of proprietary information) toxic. It also introduces the possibility of completely polluting nearby aquifers and water tables. Nuclear infrequently introduces minor levels of tritiated water (couple plants near me in IL have done so over a couple times over the last few decades). Nuclear isn't that bad all told, especially compared to the scale of problems introduced by coal/nat gas. Hydro fucks over an entire eco-system to turn a river into a lake.

Speaking for nuclear power, water input roughly equals water output. Canal/river/lake water goes into the cooling water system, runs through a condenser to cool off the low energy steam, then discharges back to the canal/river/lake warmer. A screen filter captures and returns biologicals to the water without going through the cycle. Some of the water taken in is demineralized and used to make up primary-loop water (stuff that goes through reactor/turbine). I don't view much of the water used in the nuclear plant as "wasted" to make fuel, since it's eventually released back to the ultimate heat sink (canal/river/lake) or else evaporated (back into the environment). I think of that as different than fracking or true contaminating (fly ash).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

So its important to make a distinction between water consumption and water use.

Power plants withdraw a lot of water:

Power plants don't consume must water though:

(both from http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/33905.pdf)

This is because they return the water back to a source body. However, that can still impact water quality, as the water coming out of the power plant is unnaturally high and thus can significantly impact the environment without regulation.

This is probably a more accurate graph, and as you can see what cooling tech you use matters as much as the power plant type, if not more:

(http://www.cwatershedalliance.com/pdf/SolarDoc01.pdf)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trabisnikof posted:

This is probably a more accurate graph, and as you can see what cooling tech you use matters as much as the power plant type, if not more:

Yes, this. As the ultimate example, look at Palo Verde. Sure, it's located on the Gila River, but the Gila River's a dry riverbed for most of each year except at the end of the summer. It buys treated wastewater from Phoenix and boils 20 billion gallons of that each year.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
When they say "consume" water what do they mean. Does drawing water from a river and returning it warmer count as "consume" or is this suppose to portray that water is drawn up and deposited into a black hole?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

When they say "consume" water what do they mean. Does drawing water from a river and returning it warmer count as "consume" or is this suppose to portray that water is drawn up and deposited into a black hole?

Consume means the water is not returned. I could have posted the returns chart, but its basically chart 1 - chart 2. So agriculture consumes a lot of water because the plants use it. Other ways water gets consumed is if it becomes so polluted in a process that it can't be returned. The water that Power Plants do consume is likely a combination of mostly evaporation and water that gets polluted/consumed in process (e.g. water sprayed on a coal pile to keep the coal dust down).

These graphs do exclude the water evaporated from lakes used for hydro-power, but the study I linked goes into it.

Edit: "Water consumption or consumptive water use is water lost to the environment by evaporation, transpiration, or incorporation into the product." That's the definition used in the chart.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J06Vhlw52o

New discussion on nuclear power in Australia.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A bit late, but the polywell guys put up a paper preprint on arXiv recently. Looks pretty neat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If the math checks out that's a pretty good step forward for the polywell.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the polywell dream is amazing, but sometimes i wonder if a fusion breakthrough would be the worst thing that ever happened to us

would it be like a multiplier on what oil drove us to? 15 billion of us with a quarter acre, two cars, and an AR?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StabbinHobo posted:

the polywell dream is amazing, but sometimes i wonder if a fusion breakthrough would be the worst thing that ever happened to us

would it be like a multiplier on what oil drove us to? 15 billion of us with a quarter acre, two cars, and an AR?

At a certain point Jevon's Paradox breaks down because your time is valued as well. Sure there will always be idiots that consider a 90 mile commute as a reasonable thing but most people would rather sleep in for an hour than drive to work.

Also there are other services which are simply more efficient in a dense environment (regardless of the cost of energy it's going to be a long time before your farm gets fiber optic internet).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

StabbinHobo posted:

I don't think so. The availability of cheap energy led to huge gains in life expectancy due to less famine, better healthcare, etc. At this point, fusion power would likely just let us replace dirty power with clean power without the huge population boom that came with modernization.

Most of us probably wouldn't even see significantly reduced energy prices

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Mark Jacobson has a new report out for 100% renewables by 2050 for California. I haven't had time to do a full read yet, just skimming, but at a glance it seems to be of the same quality as his global 100% renewables plan (Part 1, Part 2).

Some notable figures:
http://imgur.com/7YrYZ6n
http://imgur.com/SzAVZdG

A reminder that this is the same guy that wrote this:

Mark Jacobson posted:

In this section, the CO 2 -equivalent (CO 2 e) emissions (emissions of CO 2 plus those of other greenhouse gases multiplied by their global warming potentials) of each energy technology are reviewed. We also examine CO 2 e emissions of each technology due to planning and construction delays relative to those from the technology with the least delays (‘‘opportunity-cost emissions’’), leakage from geological formations of CO 2 sequestered by coal-CCS, and the emissions from the burning of cities resulting from nuclear weapons explosions potentially resulting from nuclear energy expansion.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 9, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Phayray posted:

Mark Jacobson has a new report out for 100% renewables by 2050 for California. I haven't had time to do a full read yet, just skimming, but at a glance it seems to be of the same quality as his global 100% renewables plan (Part 1, Part 2).

Some notable figures:

...wow.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Wind farms the size of Conneticut. I'm sure there won't be any hurdles to that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phayray posted:

Some notable figures:

"Let's just put solar panels on top of every building in LA, no big deal guys".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For those that don't understand, all buildings over about 75 feet height in Los Angeles must have an emergency helicopter landing facility, with a minimum of 50 foot by 50 foot helipad and an additional clear area 25 feet from the helipad proper.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

For those that don't understand, all buildings over about 75 feet height in Los Angeles must have an emergency helicopter landing facility, with a minimum of 50 foot by 50 foot helipad and an additional clear area 25 feet from the helipad proper.

Why?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Officially it's due to the need for an escape route in case of fires, as enacted by a change in the fire code in 1974 adding the requirement.

There's a bit more about it and what it's meant for the city here: http://clui.org/newsletter/spring-2010/elevated-descent-landingscape-helipads

For obvious reasons though, this means a ton of buildings in LA couldn't legally have solar panels across most of their roofs, since they'd violate the spacing and helipad area requirements.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Probably for evacuation in case of a fire.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It is to be noted that many of the helipads would only be able to handle small helicopters carrying a few people at a time, since most aren't built to the same sorts of FAA standards legit rooftop heliports for public use or routine private use would have to be. So while well-meaning, it's not really thought through - kinda like how the top of the Empire State Building was intended to be usable for a Zeppelin dock, but it turned out to be wildly impractical.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Didn't they realize that was a bit crazy and change that rule because it's resulted in a really ugly boxy skyline and they're the only city in the entire world that does that?
http://brighamyen.com/2013/12/16/tweaking-antiquated-lafd-helipad-fire-code-alter-downtown-la-skyline/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Didn't they realize that was a bit crazy and change that rule because it's resulted in a really ugly boxy skyline and they're the only city in the entire world that does that?
http://brighamyen.com/2013/12/16/tweaking-antiquated-lafd-helipad-fire-code-alter-downtown-la-skyline/

They're considering allowing a variance along the Hollywood Subway corridor and nowhere else in the city. So if you wanted to build a 20 story building in downtown Los Angeles you'd still need to throw up a rinky-dink helipad and have space on the roof to fit it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Phayray posted:

Some notable figures:

Wow, that's a lot of land use. Jacobson provides the best argument as to why renewables are bad for the environment.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
In nuclear news, Russia is still on track with its BN series Fast Reactors. Their latest one is the BN-800, a ~800 MWe reactor that is currently undergoing testing since it reached criticality back in June. The goal of the reactor is primarily the destruction of weapons-grade plutonium, and it's going to be very good at it:

quote:

The first BN-800 from OKBM Afrikantov and SPbAEP, is a new more powerful (2100 MWt, 864 MWe gross, 789 MWe net) FBR, which is actually the same overall size and configuration as BN-600. The first is Beloyarsk 4, which started up in mid-2014. It has improved features including fuel flexibility – U+Pu nitride, MOX, or metal, and with breeding ratio up to 1.3. The MOX is quoted as having 20-30% fissile isotopes. However, during the plutonium disposition campaign it will be operated with a breeding ratio of less than one. It has much enhanced safety and improved economy – operating cost is expected to be only 15% more than VVER. It is capable of burning 1.7 tonnes of plutonium per year from dismantled weapons and will test the recycling of minor actinides in the fuel.

Russia expected to have 40 tonnes of separated plutonium stockpiled by 2010, and after some furnishes the initial core load, the rest was expected to be burned in the BN-800 by 2025. The timing of this has slipped about four years.

From http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Current-and-Future-Generation/Fast-Neutron-Reactors/

The reactor is also designed with iso-breeding capability, meaning that after an initial fissile fuel loading phase (which could be reactor-grade plutonium from other such reactors) it can then be fueled with fertile materials that will be slowly converted into fissile fuel inside the reactor. Its transuranic profile is also self-regulating; transuranics are fissioned more rapidly if there's too much of them in the core, until equilibrium is reached. So this reactor could also act as a transuranic waste garbage disposal system.

The design is robust enough that all of these things will be possible. However, the real question remains as to how efficient the reactor will be at doing all this stuff. Fast reactors are also a bit more expensive to build and operate compared to pressurized water reactors, before accounting for regulations. It's still pretty exciting to see this thing become reality, and technically this isn't even a Gen IV design.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Meanwhile, in the world of solar thermal:

Solar farm igniting birds in midair; wildlife leaders ask for halt to more construction

quote:

IVANPAH DRY LAKE, Calif. — Workers at a state-of-the-art solar plant in the Mojave Desert have a name for birds that fly through the plant's concentrated sun rays — "streamers," for the smoke plume that comes from birds that ignite in midair.

Federal wildlife investigators who visited the BrightSource Energy plant last year and watched as birds burned and fell, reporting an average of one "streamer" every two minutes, are urging California officials to halt the operator's application to build a still-bigger version.

The investigators want the halt until the full extent of the deaths can be assessed. Estimates per year now range from a low of about a thousand by BrightSource to 28,000 by an expert for the Center for Biological Diversity environmental group.

The deaths are "alarming. It's hard to say whether that's the location or the technology," said Garry George, renewable-energy director for the California chapter of the Audubon Society. "There needs to be some caution."

The bird kills mark the latest instance in which the quest for clean energy sometimes has inadvertent environmental harm. Solar farms have been criticized for their impacts on desert tortoises, and wind farms have killed birds, including numerous raptors.

"We take this issue very seriously," said Jeff Holland, a spokesman for NRG Solar of Carlsbad, California, the second of the three companies behind the plant. The third, Google, deferred comment to its partners.

The $2.2 billion plant, which launched in February, is at Ivanpah Dry Lake near the California-Nevada border. The operator says it's the world's biggest plant to employ so-called power towers.

More than 300,000 mirrors, each the size of a garage door, reflect solar rays onto three boiler towers each looming up to 40 stories high. The water inside is heated to produce steam, which turns turbines that generate enough electricity for 140,000 homes.

Sun rays sent up by the field of mirrors are bright enough to dazzle pilots flying in and out of Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Federal wildlife officials said Ivanpah might act as a "mega-trap" for wildlife, with the bright light of the plant attracting insects, which in turn attract insect-eating birds that fly to their death in the intensely focused light rays.

Federal and state biologists call the number of deaths significant, based on sightings of birds getting singed and falling, and on retrieval of carcasses with feathers charred too severely for flight.

Ivanpah officials dispute the source of the so-called streamers, saying at least some of the puffs of smoke mark insects and bits of airborne trash being ignited by the solar rays.

Wildlife officials who witnessed the phenomena say many of the clouds of smoke were too big to come from anything but a bird, and they add that they saw "birds entering the solar flux and igniting, consequently become a streamer."

U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials say they want a death toll for a full year of operation.

Given the apparent scale of bird deaths at Ivanpah, authorities should thoroughly track bird kills there for a year, including during annual migratory seasons, before granting any more permits for that kind of solar technology, said George, of the Audubon Society.

The toll on birds has been surprising, said Robert Weisenmiller, chairman of the California Energy Commission. "We didn't see a lot of impact" on birds at the first, smaller power towers in the U.S. and Europe, Weisenmiller said.

The commission is now considering the application from Oakland-based BrightSource to build a mirror field and a 75-story power tower that would reach above the sand dunes and creek washes between Joshua Tree National Park and the California-Arizona border.

The proposed plant is on a flight path for birds between the Colorado River and California's largest lake, the Salton Sea — an area, experts say, is richer in avian life than the Ivanpah plant, with protected golden eagles and peregrine falcons and more than 100 other species of birds recorded there.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials warned California this month that the power-tower style of solar technology holds "the highest lethality potential" of the many solar projects burgeoning in the deserts of California.

The commission's staff estimates the proposed new tower would be almost four times as dangerous to birds as the Ivanpah plant. The agency is expected to decide this autumn on the proposal.

While biologists say there is no known feasible way to curb the number of birds killed, the companies behind the projects say they are hoping to find one — studying whether lights, sounds or some other technology would scare them away, said Joseph Desmond, senior vice president at BrightSource Energy.

BrightSource also is offering $1.8 million in compensation for anticipated bird deaths at Palen, Desmond said.

The company is proposing the money for programs such as those to spay and neuter domestic cats, which a government study found kill over 1.4 billion birds a year. Opponents say that would do nothing to help the desert birds at the proposed site.

Power-tower proponents are fighting to keep the deaths from forcing a pause in the building of new plants when they see the technology on the verge of becoming more affordable and accessible, said Thomas Conroy, a renewable-energy expert.

When it comes to powering the country's grids, "diversity of technology ... is critical," Conroy said. "Nobody should be arguing let's be all coal, all solar," all wind, or all nuclear. "And every one of those technologies has a long list of pros and cons."

-- The Associated Press

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Because, you know, global warming won't kill many birds.

Maybe more people would treat global warming as an environmental emergency if the people with the biggest professed interest in preserving the environment would act as if it were one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phanatic posted:

Because, you know, global warming won't kill many birds.

You could also do it with nuclear. :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Emissions from coal plants poison and kill wildlife all the time, even without taking CO2 into account. Most forms of power generation are horrible for local ecosystems during regular operation, with the possible exception of nuclear and gas.

fake edit: I'm trying to find comparisons for which methods end up doing the most harm, but it's difficult to find sources that are both trustworthy and easy for a lay audience to follow. :(