Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

ddogflex posted:

QC15s have quite a bit of bass. Were these the on-ear or over-ear model? The on-ear ones are less bass-heavy I imagine.

edit: must not have been QC15s, they don't have an option to use them without the noise canceling.

They surrounded the ear (circum-aural?); to my knowledge they were completely black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Shif posted:

They surrounded the ear (circum-aural?); to my knowledge they were completely black.

I honestly can't think of any Bose noise-cancelling headphones that are black. They're all terrible silver-painted bullshit. :iiam:

Speaking of Bose headphones, this is probably the worst place on earth to ask, but does anyone know of any replacement earpads that are good and less than the loving $40 Bose wants? Mine somehow got sorta stuck to my nightstand and disintegrated. From moisture maybe? It is also a mystery.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 5, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Midorka posted:

That's just Bose. I think the saying goes, "no highs, no lows, must be Bose."

I've always liked Buy Other Stereo Equipment.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I'm right on the edge of buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 558s to replace my Beyerdynamic DT440s. I found the DT440s really uncomfortable and want to replace them with something that actually feels good on my head. Can anyone speak to the general comfort of the HD 558s?

Edit: I'm also considering the HD 598s.

neurotech fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 5, 2014

Massaki
Aug 5, 2014

"TWOOOUH FINGGUHHHS TO U SAMOA JOEY" -Kenta, 2016
A couple of weeks ago I figured I'd lost my Sennheiser CX475 earphones. So last week I went out and bought some cheaper SCX160's from senn again, they're pretty good but there not the nicest looking earphones.

I ended up finding my old pair behind my amp though and I've been listening through both of them, they both have the exact same sound quality, I'd be inclined to actually say the cheaper SCX160's bass is a little cleaner.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I was thinking about trying out the Schiit modi/magni combo for listening to .flacs on my office computer and had a possibly dumb question. Is there anything special about the DAC that makes it headphone only- could I set it up in my home hifi system? I would imagine a DAC is a DAC, but I'm pretty ignorant about audio technology and what goes on under the hood.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

neurotech posted:

I'm right on the edge of buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 558s to replace my Beyerdynamic DT440s. I found the DT440s really uncomfortable and want to replace them with something that actually feels good on my head. Can anyone speak to the general comfort of the HD 558s?

Edit: I'm also considering the HD 598s.

They might clamp a bit hard at first and the pads can be pretty stiff. They aren't comfort monsters by any means, but aren't awful.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Midorka posted:

They might clamp a bit hard at first and the pads can be pretty stiff. They aren't comfort monsters by any means, but aren't awful.

The 558s or the 598s?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

neurotech posted:

The 558s or the 598s?

Same difference.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Listerine posted:

I was thinking about trying out the Schiit modi/magni combo for listening to .flacs on my office computer and had a possibly dumb question. Is there anything special about the DAC that makes it headphone only- could I set it up in my home hifi system? I would imagine a DAC is a DAC, but I'm pretty ignorant about audio technology and what goes on under the hood.

No, you can use a DAC to connect to whatever you want that accepts the type of outputs the DAC uses. In the case of the Modi, it has one pair of RCA outputs that you can connect to a headphone amp, or to something like the SYS Passive Preamp if you want to use it with a pair of active speakers, or a receiver/amp for passive speakers.

Midorka posted:

Did they change the casing between the HD5x5 and HD5x8? Because I did not find this to be the case when I tried out a pair of HD595s a while back - they felt pretty much as comfortable as the HD580/600/650.

Also, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of portable-use headphones to replace my current IEMs. They're a pair of Klipsch S4i, which I don't particularly love but use mostly because it was decent and fairly cheap - I had, and loved, the q-Jays previously, but each pair would last less than 2 years before it inevitably started falling apart from the rigors of daily use, and I couldn't justify keep spending $200 or so everytime, especially since what I listen to half the time are low-fidelity podcasts. Anyway, I'm now in a situation where I can use a pair of normal headphones during most of my working hours, and I'm looking for a pair of non-IEMs that can be easily driven by a phone, doesn't offer *too* much isolation (I want to be able to hear my co-workers if one of them walks up to me and starts talking), and most importantly, offers the option of an inline mic. This last part is what makes it tricky, as most of the options are newer designs, and I haven't tried many headphones recently (since I've been very happy with my HD600s for home use in almost all situations). I don't have a budget per se, but I don't want to spend too much as it will be subject to more abuse than my home use headphones, so I would like something that, if I had to, I could replace without throwing my budget into a wreck. I did some searching around, and so far the main contenders for the higher-end options are the Sennheiser Momentum and Momentum On-Ear, V-Moda M-100 and M-80, Sony MDR-1, and B&W P5. Anyone have experience with any/all of those, and can speak to their comfort and sound quality un-amped? And are there any other options that I'm missing which I should be looking at?

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 5, 2014

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

My 555s were the most comfortable headphones I had until I got the HD 800s. I could wear them all day and barely felt them when they were on my head.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey for any Canadians or cross border people that don't or can't order from that Amazon retailer, you can hit up this one [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Piston-2-In-Ear-Earphones-Wire-Control-for-Xiaomi-Mobilephone-Rose-Gold-/380861393335?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:ca:3160[/url] . It took about two weeks to get to me but I paid no cod duties or fees.

The packaging in this is great. This was packaged better than an ipad and it only cost me 24.99.

The sound on these isn't the best for 25$ I can't find better buds for work and excercise. The build quality seems up to the task, though. We shall see.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Any ideas on the best pair of earbuds for under $20 bucks?

I need a pair or two to throw in my bag/s and not care about.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Philips SHE3580/3590

Max Thunderstone
Jul 28, 2014

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I have the SoundMAGIC E10s and they are awesome. At $30 it's a little over the price range you stated, but the sound quality is great and mine have taken quite a beating over the past few years;

http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Isolating-In-Ear-Earphones-BlackGunmetal/dp/B005HP3OB0

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

GokieKS posted:

Did they change the casing between the HD5x5 and HD5x8? Because I did not find this to be the case when I tried out a pair of HD595s a while back - they felt pretty much as comfortable as the HD580/600/650.
Not sure, but the Audio Technica Ad900 were far more comfortable to my head.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Anyone have a recommendation for podcast earbuds? I want something basically like Apple Earpods but cheap… I've gone through a few pairs of those in the last year and a half or so and don't really feel like buying new ones when I'll be getting a new iPhone in the next couple months.

I'm really just looking for earbuds I can still hear outside noise through. They also need an iOS compatible remote. I don't want IEMs, I have plenty of IEMs.

I can't really find anything on Amazon. Does what I'm looking for even exist?

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

ddogflex posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for podcast earbuds? I want something basically like Apple Earpods but cheap… I've gone through a few pairs of those in the last year and a half or so and don't really feel like buying new ones when I'll be getting a new iPhone in the next couple months.

I'm really just looking for earbuds I can still hear outside noise through. They also need an iOS compatible remote. I don't want IEMs, I have plenty of IEMs.

I can't really find anything on Amazon. Does what I'm looking for even exist?

I am basically looking for a same thing (similar to Apple Earpods) but one that with a cable that doesn't break if you look at it funny. I can't stand IEM in my ear.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm thinking about getting a headset for my computer. I'm not looking to spend a lot and I saw that there are some 7.1 gaming headsets now in the $50-80 range that seem to be well regarded. I want something that's comfortable and won't make my ears all sweaty but none of the blurbs I've seen rank ear-sweat production as a metric.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

I'm thinking about getting a headset for my computer. I'm not looking to spend a lot and I saw that there are some 7.1 gaming headsets now in the $50-80 range that seem to be well regarded. I want something that's comfortable and won't make my ears all sweaty but none of the blurbs I've seen rank ear-sweat production as a metric.

Honestly get a good set of headphones (not a headset) and then a $20-30 microphone that you put on your desk in front of you/beside your monitors. You pay a large markup for 'gaming headsets' and can get a LOT more for your money with headphones, which will also be better for listening to music.

My shure SRH1540's are fantastic for gaming, but if you don't want to spend that much I was super happy with my AKG 271 mk.II's also. I've used both for marathon gaming sessions with no complaints.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I need some recommendations on circumaural headphones in the $350 range. Something on the neutral sound side of things would be good.

If there are any supra-aural recommendations that are worth looking at please mention these too.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
People were talking earlier about getting replacement rubber flange things for the Xiaomi Pistons. Which ones should I pick up?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Red_Fred posted:

I need some recommendations on circumaural headphones in the $350 range. Something on the neutral sound side of things would be good.

If there are any supra-aural recommendations that are worth looking at please mention these too.

Open, closed, used with an amp? Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 are probably considered the most neutral options in that price range. Other well-regarded options include the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X/ATH-AD900X, AKG K701/Q701, Sennheiser HD558/598, HiFiMan HE-300/HE-400, etc. Head-Fi's buying guide page is a good place to start to figure out what options are available at your price range: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Got to listen to a ~$13,000 headphone setup for the first time today (Blue Hawaii SE, Ayre QB-9, Stax Omega SR-009).

I don't think I can listen to classical music ever again, I was totally ruined.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BabyRyoga posted:

Got to listen to a ~$13,000 headphone setup for the first time today (Blue Hawaii SE, Ayre QB-9, Stax Omega SR-009).

I don't think I can listen to classical music ever again, I was totally ruined.

If you think that ruined you, try actually attending the symphony. The soundstage is so large. The instruments sound so realistic.

Isolation is terrible. The noisefloor is kind of high.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

eddiewalker posted:

If you think that ruined you, try actually attending the symphony. The soundstage is so large. The instruments sound so realistic.

Isolation is terrible. The noisefloor is kind of high.

Unless I were sitting in the orchestra pit and getting a bj from someone, I couldn't say with 100% certainty that it would match.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey all, I have a set of Shure SRH440s that I want to replace the earcups on. I've heard getting the ones for the 840s work well with the addition of memory foam. Are there any options with a velour/fabric cover instead of the pleather? I find it gets a little steamy. Although I'd probably sacrifice some of the bass/isolation I'm guessing.

edit: looks like the 940s have velour pads, anyone ever try a set of these on 440s? Guessing no.

priznat fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 10, 2014

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Any recommendations for a headset with an integrated mic? I'm looking for one in the 100$-150$ range. I'd like for it to be durable, the mic on my current ones died in 2 years. :( I prefer wired but I heard wireless stuff is reliable now??

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

priznat posted:

Hey all, I have a set of Shure SRH440s that I want to replace the earcups on. I've heard getting the ones for the 840s work well with the addition of memory foam. Are there any options with a velour/fabric cover instead of the pleather? I find it gets a little steamy. Although I'd probably sacrifice some of the bass/isolation I'm guessing.

edit: looks like the 940s have velour pads, anyone ever try a set of these on 440s? Guessing no.

I own a pair of Shure 1540's and they have perforated alcantara ear pads with memory foam. I would look into those, they are about as comfortable and cool as you can get.

Tublicane
Jun 25, 2006
Just in case anyone's interested, boat2014 has Prime shipping available on the Pistons right now.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So I bought a pair of Turtle Beach PX22's about three months ago, and now the plastic parts that absorb the stress from the expansion while being on my head have stress cracks, and one side has completely come apart in half. Anybody have experience with Turtle Beach's RMA process?

Looking at their website, they want me to pay for shipping (Not going to happen.) I bought them via in-store pickup from Best Buy, so I may try to exchange them there.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
What's the best pair of over the ear / on ear headphones that are low profile? I have a pretty narrow head so most sets look ridiculous on me. Sub-$100 would be ideal. Thanks!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'm looking for a pair of wireless headphones. I recognize these are generally lower sound quality for the price, but I'm willing to take the hit in the name of wirelessness. Comfort is the #2 need. These will be going over smaller than average ears.
Budget: less than $150
Source: LG g3
Isolation requirements: These headphones will be used in a pretty quiet environment.
Preferred type of headphone: Over ear, open vs closed isn't a big deal as long as they are comfortable for wearing long periods.
Preferred tonal balance: Balanced, maybe leaning towards bass heavy
Past headphones: Sennheiser hd515 which have great sound quality imo
Preferred music: R&B, EDM, rap

I'm leaning towards the MEElectronics Air-fi Matrix2 af62 which can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DOP3NPW

Good idea? Bad idea? Better ideas? I'm not a headphones expert so any insight before I pull the level would be much appreciated.

Edit: Maybe these kinivo bth240 would be good enough. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AWIPITS

A Bag of Milk fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 17, 2014

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I've personally really enjoyed the Sony mdr10rbt headphones I bought a month and a half ago. They are on the warmer side of things, but are super comfy and totally worth the 120ish bucks from Amazon. You should check them out at best buy if you think they might be what you are looking for.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Looking for a headphone recommendation! Let me know if any of the things I am saying are dumb or unreasonable (Other than my taste in music).

Budget: $150

Source: A PC using just the on board soundcard

Isolation Requirements: None

Preferred Type: Over Ear

Tonal Balance: Either balanced or treble focused. No special love of bass.

Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD515 are my only non lovely headphones. I like them, but would love cleaner sound and instrument separation.

Preferred Music - Metal and instrumental stuff mainly. Mastodon, Pelican, Russian Circles, Mars Volta, Orchestral stuff. Not a huge fan of death metal/shouting.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

Looking for a headphone recommendation! Let me know if any of the things I am saying are dumb or unreasonable (Other than my taste in music).

Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD515 are my only non lovely headphones. I like them, but would love cleaner sound and instrument separation.

Preferred Music - Metal and instrumental stuff mainly. Mastodon, Pelican, Russian Circles, Mars Volta, Orchestral stuff. Not a huge fan of death metal/shouting.

AKG 271 Mk.2's might be in that price range, I loved mine and they lasted 3 years of constant use.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Well, my 5 year old "Alien Ears" dual-driver customs were starting to give me comfort issues. A hard drop shattered one ear, so I guess now I'm fully in the market for a new pair.

I haven't paid attention to the market since I bought my last pair; Where should I be looking? I'd like to move up to at least a triple if I can keep the price reasonable.

AlienEars prices still look good, especially since they're currently running sales and throwing in extra cables. On the other hand, I see lots of poor Alien Ears customer service reviews on HeadFi, and my last pair didn't have the best "fit and finish."

Are there any other competitive small companies or good values? If I'm getting new impressions made, I'd also like to order a pair of molded earplugs, so a company that will do both in one order is a plus.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Benson Cunningham posted:

Check these out.
http://www.amazon.com/NVX-Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions/dp/B0093PVTPS#customerReviews

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

eddiewalker posted:

Well, my 5 year old "Alien Ears" dual-driver customs were starting to give me comfort issues. A hard drop shattered one ear, so I guess now I'm fully in the market for a new pair.

I haven't paid attention to the market since I bought my last pair; Where should I be looking? I'd like to move up to at least a triple if I can keep the price reasonable.

AlienEars prices still look good, especially since they're currently running sales and throwing in extra cables. On the other hand, I see lots of poor Alien Ears customer service reviews on HeadFi, and my last pair didn't have the best "fit and finish."

Are there any other competitive small companies or good values? If I'm getting new impressions made, I'd also like to order a pair of molded earplugs, so a company that will do both in one order is a plus.

I would suggest universal iems with custom molded sleeves. I own a pair of heir audio 4.a custom iems and I am selling them to upgrade to shure se846 with custom sensaphonic sleeves. Depending on the sound you like it could be a better way to go and you retain more resale value.

What price point are you looking at? Because there are two driver customs which sound really good and are priced quite well from jh or 1968ears or noble audio. Noble came out of heir audio, and 1968ears is based in Oregon if you live near there. I have heard bad things about jh and their customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hamelekim posted:

I would suggest universal iems with custom molded sleeves. I own a pair of heir audio 4.a custom iems and I am selling them to upgrade to shure se846 with custom sensaphonic sleeves. Depending on the sound you like it could be a better way to go and you retain more resale value.

What price point are you looking at? Because there are two driver customs which sound really good and are priced quite well from jh or 1968ears or noble audio. Noble came out of heir audio, and 1968ears is based in Oregon if you live near there. I have heard bad things about jh and their customer service.

My small ears, both in the canal and outer-ear, are the reason I went with customs in the first place. The closest I ever got with universals were little Westone UM1s.

It's been a long time, but from my memory of their fit, I'm worried that with the added bulk of a sleeve, they wouldn't fit flush in my outer ear. I imagine that would be worse with larger multi-driver universals.

I was kind of looking in the $400-500 range, and I'd really be happy with any improvement over the AlienEars duals, which didn't sound jaw-dropping to begin with.