Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

neongrey posted:

I pay through the nose for my six gigs and I still go over every month.

How?

I'm genuinely curious. I've had the $30/6GB plan for like 6+ years now or however long since it was first sold. I use as much data as I can, all day every day, often use LTE at home instead of wifi because there is a tower across the street and it's actually faster sometimes than my Teksavvy internet, and I can't even get to the halfway mark of my monthly usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I nearly hit my 6GB cap streaming Rdio. It's really not hard. I can imagine people on trains every morning could pile up the data usage.

e; not JUST Rdio, but that was the highest single app on the list.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 12, 2014

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lmao Fido called me and tried to get me to sign on their two year tab24 contract and give me a Galaxy S5 for only $230.

I didn't feel like discussing retention issues so I just kinda dismissed the offer saying I'm waiting for the larger iPhone next year.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

status posted:

Sweet. It seems to have worked. My profile on Koodo still has the Saskatchewan number, but I can send/receive calls and texts on my 416 now. Only real problem is I can't change my address from the Saskatchewan one to my Ontario one for some reason. It says I'm not authorised :confused:
You can only make one change to your account every billing cycle.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I used to have 6gb and I would only go over when travelling and staying in lovely motels with terrible internet.

But I would basically call Rogers and be like, "listen guys I'm gonna go over this month, can you make an exception?" and they'd be like "yeah but just this one time". Like three times.

Hopefully Koodo will do that for me too if I end up needing it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm at 2.5 gigs with more than half a month to go. And that's being careful - I'd love to watch YouTube all day every day.

I even have free wifi at work but it's unreliable 1Mbps while Rogers gives me 50Mbps down.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you ever want to hate your ISP or carrier, check out these stupid good deals.

http://www.sasktel.com/wps/wcm/connect/content/home/just-for-students-site

If my employer didn't pay my cell lines I'd be all over that $65/month cell plan. From what I understand they don't even really validate student ID.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Helping a Canadian friend who recently moved back to Canada after a long stint in the us and just popping in to say the state of cell phone plans in Canada is horrendous

I guess the healthcare thing evens it all out but holy crap rogers/telus/bell are terrible

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

mishaq posted:

Helping a Canadian friend who recently moved back to Canada after a long stint in the us and just popping in to say the state of cell phone plans in Canada is horrendous

I guess the healthcare thing evens it all out but holy crap rogers/telus/bell are terrible

It's not just the prices that are bad. Every dimension of the interaction with them is its own fractal of awfulness. Even their advertising annoys the poo poo out of me.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

neongrey posted:

I pay through the nose for my six gigs and I still go over every month.

I may actually have been wrong, according to my last bill I used around 750MB.
OooOOooo But I can upgrade my phone for only $150 :downs:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Godinster posted:

If you ever want to hate your ISP or carrier, check out these stupid good deals.

http://www.sasktel.com/wps/wcm/connect/content/home/just-for-students-site

If my employer didn't pay my cell lines I'd be all over that $65/month cell plan. From what I understand they don't even really validate student ID.

Sasktel is one of the only things I really miss about Saskatchewan. They're by far the best ISP/mobile provider I've ever used.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So Bell launched new Thunder Bay promo plans:

https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Promotions/Thunder-Bay

There's a $60 unlimited everything with 6GB of data, or a $75 unlimited everything with 12GB(!) of data

Anyone know if there's any techniques to get on these plans, similar to the Koodo SK/MB plans?

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 14, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DarkJC posted:

So Bell launched new Thunder Bay promo plans:

https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Promotions/Thunder-Bay

There's a $60 unlimited everything with 6GB of data, or a $75 uinlimited everything with 12GB(!) of data

Haha this is such goddamn bullshit.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Even these awesome Sasktel/Thunder Bay plans never have a sub-$50 price point. I don't give a poo poo about unlimited everything, I just want 1gb of data and a handful of minutes for less than $50. :argh:

Basically T-Mobile's $30 pay as you go plan: 100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like mobilicity's unlimited calling text and data for $22 shame about the bankruptcy though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A judge OK'd a class action lawsuit against Bell for expiring prepaid plans.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lawsuit-against-bell-over-expiry-of-prepaid-plans-gets-green-light-1.2739544

quote:

A class-action lawsuit against Bell Mobility over the expiration of prepaid cell phone minutes can proceed, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice ruled Monday.

The suit, led by Celia Sankar of Elliot Lake, Ont., is seeking compensation for more than a million people in Ontario. It alleges Bell breached its contracts with those customers by expiring remaining credit balances too early or for imposing expiry dates at all.

Sankar launched the suit in 2012 after the balance on her prepaid plan was "seized" by Bell twice in three years.The plaintiffs argue prepaid plans are like gift cards and are thus subject to Ontario's Consumer Protection Act, which says gift cards cannot have an expiry date. Those affected were customers with Bell, Virgin Mobile Canada or Solo Mobile who had balances remaining in their accounts expire between May 4, 2010 and December 16, 2013. The plaintiffs are seeking $100 million in damages.

Bell says it won't comment on a case that is before the courts, but spokesperson Jason Laszlo said "Bell Mobility always complies with the law."

A trial date has not yet been set.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Nothing brings out Robelus' malevolence quite like PAYG. The terms are hilariously awful. And what is surely unique among G20 nations - you can't even buy a tablet PAYG last I checked.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Koodo's PAYG plans are probably the closest to 'acceptable'. Buckets of canada wide minutes that don't expire, as well as buckets of data that don't expire. The only downside is the minimum recurring $15 monthly fee for the 'base' plan that includes unlimited texting.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Is it safe to assume that for the next 5 years the best option is to find the cleanest dick to suck in terms of providers?
I asked in a Wind store and they said that pretty much past Brampton it's $1/MB.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FYI the loophole to get the Koodo $55/month plan seems to be closed. People outside of MB & SK who apply for the plan receive an email about 24 - 48 hours later saying that since they're not in MB or SK the plan has been cancelled and converted over to an ON (or whatever province their in) plan. Usually at a cost of $94/month.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

FYI the loophole to get the Koodo $55/month plan seems to be closed. People outside of MB & SK who apply for the plan receive an email about 24 - 48 hours later saying that since they're not in MB or SK the plan has been cancelled and converted over to an ON (or whatever province their in) plan. Usually at a cost of $94/month.

woah so I literally got in at the last minute, or last week-ish

My bill this month was a little higher than I expected, $70-something, but it's because they charged me for porting a number or something, and then 4 days of usage before the billing cycle, it was weird. But no email yet.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pivo posted:

woah so I literally got in at the last minute, or last week-ish

My bill this month was a little higher than I expected, $70-something, but it's because they charged me for porting a number or something, and then 4 days of usage before the billing cycle, it was weird. But no email yet.
The first month is always higher. Mine was like $82 or something but then it dropped down to $50 or so ($55 - 10% BYOD). As long as you have trhe account you're OK. It only seems to be people trying to sign up for new accounts.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Is it safe to assume that for the next 5 years the best option is to find the cleanest dick to suck in terms of providers?
I asked in a Wind store and they said that pretty much past Brampton it's $1/MB.

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/add-ons/?type=roaming

For now, Mobilicity is the cheapest. But I have very little hope that their bankruptcy protection will get extended past September or that whoever buys them will honour existing plans for very long.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

The first month is always higher. Mine was like $82 or something but then it dropped down to $50 or so ($55 - 10% BYOD). As long as you have trhe account you're OK. It only seems to be people trying to sign up for new accounts.

I didn't get the 10% BYOD discount on my first bill even though I totally saw it listed on the guy's screen at Future Shop, but I'm afraid to call Koodo to discuss this :P

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

:canada:

I really hope mine doesn't get taken away

edit: now we get to find out whether the thesis "they are tacitly permitting this" is true for the existing planholders anyway.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 19, 2014

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

eXXon posted:

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/add-ons/?type=roaming

For now, Mobilicity is the cheapest. But I have very little hope that their bankruptcy protection will get extended past September or that whoever buys them will honour existing plans for very long.

That's actually quite reasonable, too bad their phones suck but my GNex is probably good for another few years.
I'll just have to do the math and see, at least now I have something to threaten Bell with in the future :D

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pivo posted:

I didn't get the 10% BYOD discount on my first bill even though I totally saw it listed on the guy's screen at Future Shop, but I'm afraid to call Koodo to discuss this :P
if you've already ported over I wouldn't. People have been having problems for months if they called in and gave a non MB/SK phone number and had that plan. I did all that stuff and made sure I had the 10% BYOD discount before I ported over.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

so I can basically never call Koodo to discuss my account? oh well... maybe poo poo improves in Ontario eventually :/ at least my phone is unlocked and i'm not on contract.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PS. Love the cabin posted:

That's actually quite reasonable, too bad their phones suck but my GNex is probably good for another few years.
I'll just have to do the math and see, at least now I have something to threaten Bell with in the future :D

You can buy Wind/Mobilicity phones from anywhere you want. But if you call Bell and threaten to switch to Mobilicity they will probably just laugh at you. Wind is a better reference.

Speaking of which, Wind is going to have new Back-to-School plans on Thursday, per RFD. Probably nothing more exotic than $5 off their usual $40 postpaid plan but the prepaid plan might be interesting to someone.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Well gently caress, I was planning to make the switch next week.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pivo posted:

so I can basically never call Koodo to discuss my account? oh well... maybe poo poo improves in Ontario eventually :/ at least my phone is unlocked and i'm not on contract.
You can try but about a third of everyone that's called in since this whole thing started have been told by the reps that they'll have to switch plans or that they shouldn't have this account. Now that they seem to be cracking down on people with out of province plans I'd be be extra cautious.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Is there anything from stopping you from using a fake address in the province? Or maybe a po box?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nitr0 posted:

Is there anything from stopping you from using a fake address in the province? Or maybe a po box?
The problem is setting up the account initially. With the online method, Koodo does a credit check based upon your credit card. If the billing address is out of province then you'll get declined.

I think the best bet right now is to find someone working at a store that'll do it for you since you can be approved on the spot. However, with the recent crackdown it'll probably be harder to find someone who will do it for you.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The provincial differences make it so blindingly obvious that there is a massive competition problem in the Canadian wireless market. How on earth can anyone in the industry or CRTC spin it any other way and keep a straight face. I know the CRTC are basically a bunch of corporate shills but still, this Manitoba plan disparity is so plain and obvious. How could anyone look at this situation and not conclude that the big three are colluding to keep prices high.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Shofixti posted:

The provincial differences make it so blindingly obvious that there is a massive competition problem in the Canadian wireless market. How on earth can anyone in the industry or CRTC spin it any other way and keep a straight face. I know the CRTC are basically a bunch of corporate shills but still, this Manitoba plan disparity is so plain and obvious. How could anyone look at this situation and not conclude that the big three are colluding to keep prices high.

Hell, even look at the Thunder Bay plans -- crazy price differences in plans depending on where you live in the province, all because of competition from Tbaytel.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Shofixti posted:

Easy Solution: Live in Manitoba(hint: don't do this, we pay more for everything else)

So it happened, I shattered my iPhone 5 screen last night with $317 left on my Rogers FlexTab. I have a few options if I go the safe route.

1. Buy an unlocked phone from Rogers and wait out the last year and a half on my contract and then switch or upgrade
2. Switch to a share plan, add a second line and get a new phone on that line and switch it to my number
3. Pay Apple 300 dollars to fix the phone
4. Pay off my FlexTab, get new phone on another Subsidy
5. Pay off my FlexTab, switch to MTS because they have much better deals on phones and plans at the moment

I've read about buying a screen repair kit on eBay and I've done that for a Galaxy before, but apparently the iPhones don't work 90% of the time. Has anyone had a third party shop repair an iPhone screen before?

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
My girlfriend had an iPhone 4 screen repaired for $50 at a third party shop, good as new.

Their pricing for a 5/5s screen looked to be around $100 I think.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wind has a new back-to-school plan starting today, and it's better than rumoured. You basically get free global text, voicemail, and lower international calling rates. They also lowered their roaming rates significantly:

- Talk is 15c/minute (was 20c/minute)
- Text is 5c (was 15c/text) - incoming text remains free
- Data is 5c/MB (was $1/MB)

These are at least as good as Mobilicity's rates, and better because you don't have to pay up front for minimal usage. Plus you can get credits for bringing your own phone, unlike previous promo plans. Unfortunately the credits can't be used to pay down monthly bills but they can cover additional add-ons and roaming/long distance charges.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

eXXon posted:

...You basically get free global text...

Am I missing something? I'm seeing Canada-wide text and Canada/US MMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shofixti posted:

Am I missing something? I'm seeing Canada-wide text and Canada/US MMS.

It's listed in the promo page. I guess it's part of the world saver add-on that also gives lower long distance rates.

https://www.windmobile.ca/phone-plan-35