Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Michaellaneous posted:

Masterwork Weapons are just ridiculous. My legendary weaponsmith just shits out masterwork iron battleaxes, and as soon as the caravan comes it's basically "80000 value? Yeah take two of my weapons bins, I take everything, now piss off."

I personally use ammunition for the same purpose. I think it's more efficient and the best way to train weaponsmithing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The other advantage of masterwork iron ammo over weapons is that weapons can't be encrusted with gems, but ammo can!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

reading posted:

What exactly is the process for upgrading an install of DF to a new version, while keeping saved games and edited raws? Do I just manually copy over the old save game file and the old raws into the new install directory and overwrite?

Yeah, that's it really. The only hook and snag (assuming that Toady didn't say compatibility is hosed) is if the raws went and changed between the versions. Check file_changes.txt to see if there's any changes you need to make to your old raws.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Copying files like that has never worked for me. The new version simply doesn't recognize the save file and pretends it isn't there.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

Oddly enough, if they like you they're more likely to just bring tons of cloth.

Yeah, they'll try to cram as much value onto their camels as they can, which means lots of light and valuable cloth, and animals after that. The best solution is to mod elves to bring wagons, though I forget how you do that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, they'll try to cram as much value onto their camels as they can, which means lots of light and valuable cloth, and animals after that. The best solution is to mod elves to bring wagons, though I forget how you do that.

Or just buy all the cloth a few times and keep it stored. I think that they won't bring stuff you have a lot of.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Yeah I wish they'd just bring cages, that way I can get my orangutan breeding program under way. The end goal being a fortress where apes are served by dwarves.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Yeah I wish they'd just bring cages, that way I can get my orangutan breeding program under way. The end goal being a fortress where apes are served by dwarves.

You, uh, know you can make your own cages, right?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Glory of Arioch posted:

You, uh, know you can make your own cages, right?

He means cages with exotic animals in them. I, too, long for the elves to bring me lions and leopards and alligators and stuff.

edit: in fact, if anyone knows how to mod elven trade preferences I am eager to hear it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Turpitude posted:

He means cages with exotic animals in them. I, too, long for the elves to bring me lions and leopards and alligators and stuff.

edit: in fact, if anyone knows how to mod elven trade preferences I am eager to hear it

Oh, I get it.

I always have a tough time with trading with elven traders. My fortresses always end up using prepared meals as the backbone of their bartering, and there aren't convenient ways to free prepared meals from their (ostensibly wooden) barrels without making a stockpile of rotting individual meals. I usually just end up trading them raw gems.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Glory of Arioch posted:

Oh, I get it.

I always have a tough time with trading with elven traders. My fortresses always end up using prepared meals as the backbone of their bartering, and there aren't convenient ways to free prepared meals from their (ostensibly wooden) barrels without making a stockpile of rotting individual meals. I usually just end up trading them raw gems.

You can bring the goods to the depot in a wooden barrel and then simply trade the non-liquid contents of the barrel instead of the barrel. It's a bit tedious to select them individually, but works.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

my dad posted:

You can bring the goods to the depot in a wooden barrel and then simply trade the non-liquid contents of the barrel instead of the barrel. It's a bit tedious to select them individually, but works.

How? The barrel just shows up as "prepared food barrel" and has no contents listed. It's not like a bin, which allows you to select the contents individually.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if you store your food in green glass pots, you can trade it to elves! Also you can make an infinite supply of pots if you have a source of sand, and glass pots are lighter than rock pots.

Glassmaker supremacy, yo.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 18, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Turpitude posted:

Can't you just enable the elf diplomat and then tell him you want them to bring animals and such?

Easiest way imo. I *think* the latest version even has it enabled by default now but now sure. Either way it's a quick edit in the raws.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Glory of Arioch posted:

How? The barrel just shows up as "prepared food barrel" and has no contents listed. It's not like a bin, which allows you to select the contents individually.

poo poo, I mixed up the adventurer trade screen and the fortress trade screen. Sorry.

I don't think you need barrels at all, though. Food doesn't rot in stockpiles and trade depos, regardless of how it's stored in them. Just make a prepared food stockpile and don't allow the use of barrels in it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Moridin920 posted:

Can't you just enable the elf diplomat and then tell him you want them to bring animals and such?

Easiest way imo. I *think* the latest version even has it enabled by default now but now sure. Either way it's a quick edit in the raws.

The diplomat doesn't handle trade agreements. I believe you'd have to add [RESPONSIBILITY:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS] to the diplomat and regen the world.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is it just wood that elves hate to be offered? I can't ever figure out why they reject my trades.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Non-grown wood is the only thing they throw a fit over, yeah. If your broker is a goony lump with no social presence, the merchants may demand a sizeable profit margin before complying.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it just wood that elves hate to be offered? I can't ever figure out why they reject my trades.

They also hate clear and crystal glass items because you have to burn wood to make those. Other than that just make sure you aren't accidentally giving them a wooden bin or something.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

According to the wiki it's items with wood, clear/crystal glass, or soap. They used to hate animal products too but got over that at roughly the time they started eating people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also you can't sell back to them the wood objects they previously sold to you. They're tainted or something.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Also you can't sell back to them the wood objects they previously sold to you. They're tainted or something.

Does that still apply now that the elves have "grown" wood items? I never tested it but assumed they might accept grown objects.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That's what the all-new kosher wood system is supposed to fight. You should be able to sell organic wood products to elves just fine.

However, I've noticed that some things like chests in elven inventory are suspiciously lacking that "grown" prefix...

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

"But it is grown wood. It grew outside and then we chopped it down and made a giant corkscrew out of it."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

"But it is grown wood. It grew outside and then we chopped it down and made a giant corkscrew wooden training axe out of it and then used that axe to clearcut the rest of the forest, organically."

Sleepy Sip
Jul 5, 2014

Stormyish posted:

Something sticky is afoot

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Prop Wash posted:

The other advantage of masterwork iron ammo over weapons is that weapons can't be encrusted with gems, but ammo can!

Wha...? I didn't know that.

So you can't put a gemstone in the pommel of your masterwork longsword, but you can bake that poo poo into arrows that will inevitably be wasted plinking at some Kestrel Man?

I can just see it now. "A thief! Protect the horde from skulking filth! Shoot diamonds and rubies at him until he goes away!"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Stop attacking me in the first year gobbos. :qq:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Are the civilisations you can see in the Civs screen in Fortress mode literally the only civilisations in the entire world/that can reach you? Year 4 and I only had a single gobbo siege show up first year (they left after one lost his head on a weapon trap outside). No gobbo thieves either. There are only the dwarves, one human and one elf civ showing on my screen. I'm just worried about building a big elaborate goblin disposal chamber that will go unused forever.

On the other hand the goblins have wormed their way all into the mountainhomes, my outpost liaison among other dignitaries in my civ are goblins...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vengarr posted:

Wha...? I didn't know that.

So you can't put a gemstone in the pommel of your masterwork longsword, but you can bake that poo poo into arrows that will inevitably be wasted plinking at some Kestrel Man?

I can just see it now. "A thief! Protect the horde from skulking filth! Shoot diamonds and rubies at him until he goes away!"

I think the idea is you then hand them to the next caravan in exchange for all their stuff.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dashticle posted:

Are the civilisations you can see in the Civs screen in Fortress mode literally the only civilisations in the entire world/that can reach you? Year 4 and I only had a single gobbo siege show up first year (they left after one lost his head on a weapon trap outside). No gobbo thieves either. There are only the dwarves, one human and one elf civ showing on my screen. I'm just worried about building a big elaborate goblin disposal chamber that will go unused forever.

Yeah I'm just starting my third year and I haven't seen a single thief or baby snatcher. I did get a 10 goblin siege, a cyclops, and a weretortoise(lol) during my second year though.

The weretortoise showed up and was incredibly fast. Immediately after he appeared I set civilians to hide in the fortress and he had begun to tear a fisherdwarf limb from limb before they he could even get out of the water. Then he turned back into a human, had his femur broken by a bolt, and lost his head to the first attack from the first swordsdwarf that got to him.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 19, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Dashticle posted:

On the other hand the goblins have wormed their way all into the mountainhomes, my outpost liaison among other dignitaries in my civ are goblins...

Things only show up on the Civ screen after you've encountered them. If goblins came and there's no goblin civ in the list, I think they were bandits.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

ghetto wormhole posted:

The weretortoise showed up and was incredibly fast. Immediately after he appeared I set civilians to hide in the fortress and he had begun to tear a fisherdwarf limb from limb before they he could even get out of the water. Then he turned back into a human, had his femur broken by a bolt, and lost his head to the first attack from the first swordsdwarf that got to him.

Pretty standard werebeast encounter here. While in beast mode they're fearless and regenerate and all sorts of nasty things, but once you time them out they're no more dangerous than any other unarmed creature. It helps that they usually break and run the moment that goes down.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PublicOpinion posted:

Things only show up on the Civ screen after you've encountered them. If goblins came and there's no goblin civ in the list, I think they were bandits.

Awesome, good to know. According to the Goblin liaison there was an evil civ steamrolling settlements all over the world for the first two years, so hopefully they show up soon. Otherwise I'll just have to offer the elves some elf blood (Ah wonderful! Thank you for trading..) in a wooden barrel (Once a beautiful tree, and now? *siege*).

By the way, is there any way to find out about a particular civ without retiring a fort and reopening the world in Legends?

Eighty
Jun 15, 2005

I have a bit of a strange problem here, and I don't really know what to do.

My Cook was possessed and took over a Craftsdwarf Workshop. He started grabbing items and... hasn't stopped yet. This was a least 2 years ago, and he's still grabbing stuff. There 95+ items in that workshop marked [TSK].

This has got to be a bug, right? I remember something similar being possible in 0.34, or 0.31, where you could create insanely expensive artifacts, but I'm fuzzy on the details.

Any advice would be great, in the mean time I'm just gonna wall off that workshop and hope he doesn't deplete all my iron, gold, silver, gem, etc.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It has to do with restricted areas, make sure the workshop is within the burrow the dwarf is assigned to.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Refuse pile scared off an entire human caravan, didn't even give me the chance to trade with them. Dropped 2/3 of their items. Guess I better move it :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

huff huff huff huff huff wheeze huff huff

Toady One posted:

Spent some time not getting anywhere on a few crashes today, though I've narrowed one down to surgery. A few things were successfully closed:

Allowed flying/climbing wilderness critters to work their way off the map
Stopped a conversation crash from talking to mute creatures about their troubles

So does this mean I don't have to look at giant crows making themselves permanently at home in the stratosphere anymore? All for it.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
What's the best way to train a new doctor/nurse? I have a doctor who I gave skills to on embark, including the teaching skill, as was recommended in this thread, but if I enable all the healthcare abilities on a newbie nurse then what prevents the nurse from attempting and loving up stuff? Or does the game automatically have the skilled Dr teacher do things and somehow the nurse learns?

I'd like to have a medical staff of more than just one chief Dr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

reading posted:

What's the best way to train a new doctor/nurse? I have a doctor who I gave skills to on embark, including the teaching skill, as was recommended in this thread, but if I enable all the healthcare abilities on a newbie nurse then what prevents the nurse from attempting and loving up stuff? Or does the game automatically have the skilled Dr teacher do things and somehow the nurse learns?

I'd like to have a medical staff of more than just one chief Dr.

Throw dwarves down a few z levels.