Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

On a grid it's much easier to stick down the point you are aiming the centre at and work things out from there.

Even in TotM, it seems much easier to imagine "am I within 20 feet of the origin" than "am I within a 40 foot diameter sphere centered on the origin". Radius is a more intuitive description of a circle/sphere than diameter to my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Does it say you have to inscribe them in a book? Can you, for instance, write the spell on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope addressed to your intended target, then send it in the mail? Roll it up and tie it to an arrow, which one of your skeletons shoots into their bedroom window? Fold it into a paper airplane?

If you place it in an object it has to be something openable/closable, so a letter would work it can affect: The thing who opens it, thing who appraoches it or the thing who reads it (other options for putting it on a specific location)

However you can filter by type, so "First dragon that gets near this box of wonder/letter of gently caress you"

Edit: additional limitation spells has to have 1 target or target an area, will hit triggered person or centered on item

So this makes giving out buff spells and storing them farcically easy

Edit: Also as far as I can tell this spell bypasses the concentration rule.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 18, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Stormgale posted:

More fun undead facts, if you are bored at the end of a day, finger of death someone to gain a permanent (no need to waste any control them) zombie

Other fun spell facts, if you get bored and want to relax while your skeletons kill thing, use warding glyphs to inscribe your spells into books that your skeletons or zombies carry, when opened In front of a dragon (you can be that specific) bam suddenly the dragon suffers the spell as if you cast it

Double fun fact, the spell is stored permanently and it doesn't burn out the slots, You can use your remaining spell slots every night to store up spells at a rate of 2 spell slots (1 for the spell, 1 equal level for the glyph) so yep, just store them permanently for later at no real cost, spend your spare days creating a backup magical arsenal.

Nice "facts."

Glyph of Warding posted:

If you choose an object, that object
must remain in its place; if the object is moved more
than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is
broken, and the spell ends without being triggered.

Also as before the necromancer's skeleton army gets oneshotted by the ancient red's wing attack. Probably not the best build to try to solo it with in an actual game, outside of spreadsheet land.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yep, skeleton has to be holding the book when you cast it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

slydingdoor posted:

Nice "facts."

Also as before the necromancer's skeleton army gets oneshotted by the ancient red's wing attack. Probably not the best build to try to solo it with in an actual game, outside of spreadsheet land.

You can still double dip on buff spells trivially easily?

And again wing buffet is stupidly easy to avoid considering the dragon is stunned for 3 rounds and thus can't move, so the skeletons stay out of wing buffet range and shoot it?

If you can pick fight arena it also seems to ignore concentration rules completely.

Edit: Ill admit I didn't read the spell fully because I only noticed it while looking for other spells but still, it ignores concentration mechanics and can let you cast before resting, to get free buff spells at the start of the next day easily.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 18, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Back from gencon, here's a dump of D&D stuff:

Your character could join 1 of 5 factions, and they had banners up on the ceiling for them.

Monster Manual? Don't mind if I do. It was pre-signed by all of our favorite devs. The real hero there is Kate Irwin from the art team.

Some D&D launch party was going on outside in the street. I was running DW during that, so just snapped a few pics on the way back to the hotel. That tent had some crazy multi-color strobe light thing going on inside.

Those new D&D minis, not very impressive quality. The bottom pic IS impressive, but it's the Reaper Bones2 kickstarter, "Dragons Don't Share". Glad I got into that KS and ordered one. Reaper had one at the con ahead of their delivery next month.

Not 5e related, but figured you all would get a kick out of this. I played a 1e D&D game going through B1, 'In Search of the Unknown'. I played a cleric but was mostly the mapper. This is an intentionally difficult place to map, so the area in green is what we got through and what I mapped out. Mostly accurate!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

It's still a good combo, just not trivially easy.

Since you need an hour to cast it and probably don't want to enter the fight with no spell slots, I disregarded all the 1 minute duration spells, because if you try to long rest less than a minute away from things they usually interrupt it. Also the glyph needs targets so I filtered out all the self range spells or ones that didn't target creatures. Also there's a +200gp cost per buff but who cares this is theory land. Higher level spells that no one gets 2 of simultaneously were excluded, so no True Polymorph.

When you're done making your hall of buffs it'll probably have these in it: barkskin, fly, invis, levitate, polymorph, protection from energy, protection from evil and good, shield of faith, spider climb, stoneskin. They'll last either 10mins or an hour, which if you're a wizard should be the length of your adventuring day anyway, right?

If you can sneak into someone's lair while they're away and trap something, domination, suggestion, and charms look pretty strong with this spell. Also an uninterruptible Flesh to Stone.

Try the skeletonking in an actual game, or--more than likely--don't. Whoever doesn't actually want to play this game but still wants to be part of the community of superior game designers bashing it will just believe that skeletons will just win everything and that they were part of the discovery of how OP they are, and whoever does play the game I want to see and hear about their getting killed by their own skeletons because they didn't think through the logistics of it and having their entire army get pasted by a boss while the rest of the party is like "dude it's just a dragon even the fighter and rogue can solo it."

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ritorix posted:

Back from gencon, here's a dump of D&D stuff:

So many neckbeards :)
Also LOL at the one guy wearing the Gandalf hat - reminds me why I am reluctant to tell people I play these stupid elfgames.

I think those flying dragons look neat - I've got shitloads of minis and I've got loads of dragons in various poses on the floor.

That reminds me, Bones 2 is sure soon is it not?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Mr Beens posted:

So many neckbeards :)
Also LOL at the one guy wearing the Gandalf hat - reminds me why I am reluctant to tell people I play these stupid elfgames.

I think those flying dragons look neat - I've got shitloads of minis and I've got loads of dragons in various poses on the floor.

That reminds me, Bones 2 is sure soon is it not?

A goofy hat is barely noticeable by gencon standards. At one point there was a table full of drow playing. Full makeup and costumes.

Bones2 starts delivery next month.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

One of my favorite D&D blogs had this 5e "hack"
http://blogofholding.com/?p=6610

quote:

My favorite choice, though, is Swift Quiver from the Ranger spell list. Cast as a bonus action, it gives your quiver an endless supply of ammunition and allows you to make two extra ranged attacks per turn as a bonus action for one minute. What that means is that when you cast that spell as a Bard with College of Valor, you'll get to make 4 ranged attacks per round with a bow or other weapon for basically an entire combat.

Considering that a Ranger or Fighter can only make two attacks a round with a bow or other ranged weapon (unless they dual wield), this arguably makes the Bard one of the best ranged attack builds. Of course, the Fighter can make 3 attacks by level 11, but the bard still maintains an edge until level 17 when the Ranger gets Swift Quiver themselves.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You can dual wield ... bows?

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

moths posted:

Hand crossbows can be dual wielded with a feat I think?

e: This is only going by what some people on the D&D subreddit have been claiming anyway

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

moths posted:

College of Valor gives extra attack at lvl 6, at level 10 you can gain two spells from any other class. Thus four attacks (two on attack action, two from bonus action from spell) for Bard.

Ironically because the Bard is a full spellcaster now he actually gains access to 5th level Ranger spells 7 levels before the Ranger does. Though the Hunter Ranger can pick up Horde Breaker at level 3 for additional attacks vs other targets and Volley at level 11 for AoE as well as having access to Fighting Style for +2 to ranged attacks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Heffer posted:

One of my favorite D&D blogs had this 5e "hack"
http://blogofholding.com/?p=6610
Wait wait wait they still want you to track ammunition?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Too bad you can't use the double attack on the turn you cast the spell. That means you aren't actually passing by the martials until the 3rd round, or 6th round vs the Fighter at level 11 assuming they use Action Surge. Also as was mentioned the other martials can have a different buff up (like magic weapon on the EK or Hunter's Mark on the Ranger) and have Archery style, which is important to counterbalance the -5 penalty from Sharpshooter.

It's probably not worth getting if your aim is to make the martials feel obsolete, better off grabbing Polymorph or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Can a ranger multiclass into bard to get better ranger spells?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
According to the phb I read last night (it's on the shelf at chapters, if you're Canadian), yes. Anyone can multi-class into anything. Will track down the exact text tonight.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

It also said "ranged builds", not "archers"; maybe they're talking about throwing?

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about how throwing works in 5E? I noticed that throwing weapons now use Str for hit/damage by default, and then some are finesse (meaning you can use Dex instead, like throwing daggers), but does anybody know like... if magical thrown weapons are all returning? When they return? That kind of action-related poo poo that made them trash weapons in other editions?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If I'm playing a Bard, what's the best way for me to avoid completely overshadowing my friend who's playing an Eldritch Knight?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

One way I can think of to get back a thrown weapon is being an Eldritch Knight. As a ranged option it's been improved since playtests since you no longer need a feat to dual wield throw. Too bad darts aren't light weapons for some reason.

If you like throwing stuff at things then you might want to get Archery Style and Two-Weapon Fighting Style from martial classes, the Sharpshooter feat, and the Dual Wielder feat if your DM is a stickler about "If you want to interact with a second object, you need to use your action" and rules that you can only draw one weapon free per turn.

So it's probably not that great compared to launchers.

In fact, if you want to have a melee option while you're using a launcher, you can take Tavern Brawler to have proficiency when you bash people with your heavy crossbow or whatever for 1d6. I dunno if it inherits tags like Heavy, even though it surely gets 'Two Handed,' but if it does you could use Great Weapon Fighting/Master on such attacks.

"'Did he fire six shots or only five?'" :clint:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stormgale posted:

You can still double dip on buff spells trivially easily?

And again wing buffet is stupidly easy to avoid considering the dragon is stunned for 3 rounds and thus can't move, so the skeletons stay out of wing buffet range and shoot it?

It auto saves remember. Not that it's likely to fail the save anyway. Also it can just breathe on the army turning it into ash from it's 90 ft radius cone. Given that they all have to be within 60 ft of the wizard or he can't command them he will hit the entire army and the Wizard for 26d6 damage which is likely to kill the entire army save or no save.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

moths posted:

Yes but no. Bards only get two spells from other classes at lvl 10 and (iirc) 17. So while you could theoretically get higher level ranger spells sooner you could only get four total. Whether this represents the majority of unique ranger spells worth having I'm not sure

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It auto saves remember. Not that it's likely to fail the save anyway. Also it can just breathe on the army turning it into ash from it's 90 ft radius cone. Given that they all have to be within 60 ft of the wizard or he can't command them he will hit the entire army and the Wizard for 26d6 damage which is likely to kill the entire army save or no save.

I know it's hard to keep track of this thread, but there's a reason they're talking about 3 rounds, specifically, as outlined in this post.

If you don't want to click the link, the two things we're worried about is:

quote:

On a hit, you afflict the creature with a disease of your choice from any of the ones described below ... After succeeding on three of these saving throws, the creature recovers from the disease, and the spell ends.

and

quote:

Slimy Doom: The creature begins to bleed uncontrollably. The creature has disadvantage on Constitution checks and Constitution saving throws. In addition, whenever the creature takes damage, it is stunned until the end of its next turn.

Meaning, and correct me if I'm misinterpreting this, the Big Bad is subject to this disease for 3 rounds, even if it had the legendary ability "Passes every save always". So as long as it takes damage, from ANY SOURCE, it is stunned for 3 rounds.

So, with a little preparation, the dragon is out for 3 straight rounds. That's plenty of time to kill it.

Look, we're all totally aware that with enough time and energy, the DM can avoid the whole "Make the dragon sick, hit him once a round, end the battle with skeletons." The problem is that there's no comparably powerful option among other classes.

So, let's put it this way: Can you think of a way for a Fighter to fight a dragon and kill it, with a good chance of taking zero damage, in 3 rounds or less, unassisted, without using anything outside its class abilities? We'll assume the fighter is level 20, and has 20 in all stats. You get partial credit for creating a build using feats that, combined, give him enough of an advantage to kill this dragon in 3 rounds or less without taking any damage.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 18, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

moths posted:

Yep, you just need a 13 in the classes main stat to multi into it. 13 in 2 stats for a few classes (monk/paladin/ranger). CHA for bards. Choice of dex or str for fighter.

Since bard is a full caster, you would get a full spell caster level's worth of new spell slots. But you wouldnt get new ranger spells known, only new bard spells known. You can use ranger spells in the new slots.

Your spell slots would be equal to half your ranger level (round down) plus your full bard level. So a ranger 4/bard 1 casts spells as a 3rd level caster: 4 1st level slots, 2 2nd level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I know it's hard to keep track of this thread, but there's a reason they're talking about 3 rounds, specifically, as outlined in this post.

If you don't want to click the link, the two things we're worried about is:

and

Meaning, and correct me if I'm misinterpreting this, the Big Bad is subject to this disease for 3 rounds, even if it had the legendary ability "Passes every save always". So as long as it takes damage, from ANY SOURCE, it is stunned for 3 rounds.

So, with a little preparation, the dragon is out for 3 straight rounds. That's plenty of time to kill it.

Look, we're all totally aware that with enough time and energy, the DM can avoid the whole "Make the dragon sick, hit him once a round, end the battle with skeletons." The problem is that there's no comparably powerful option among other classes.

So, let's put it this way: Can you think of a way for a Fighter to fight a dragon and kill it, with a good chance of taking zero damage, in 3 rounds or less, unassisted, without using anything outside its class abilities? We'll assume the fighter is level 20, and has 20 in all stats. You get partial credit for creating a build using feats that, combined, give him enough of an advantage to kill this dragon in 3 rounds or less without taking any damage.

I remember

The issue with this is that you have to touch the dragon to do this. You need to hit with an attack roll and have to be right next to it. In a dragons lair it's unlikely you would be able to get right up to it and outside the dragons lair it will be flying.

I don't have a way for the fighter to easily kill the Dragon. I just don't think this skeleton and contagion strategy has a reasonable chance of working.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't have a way for the fighter to easily kill the Dragon. I just don't think this skeleton and contagion strategy has a reasonable chance of working.

Did you miss druid chat where the druid can give the entire party +10 to sneak up on the dragon and slap it in the face? Can someone with the phb check and see if they got rid of ghost hand as well? Having to touch with touch attack spells hasn't been a thing since at least AD&D 2e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheAnomaly posted:

Did you miss druid chat where the druid can give the entire party +10 to sneak up on the dragon and slap it in the face? Can someone with the phb check and see if they got rid of ghost hand as well? Having to touch with touch attack spells hasn't been a thing since at least AD&D 2e.

Yes but this is Wizard and Skeleton Army alone, Even with the Druid and +10 there is no way the skeleton army is going to be sneaking up on the dragon given it's 26 passive perception. Mage Hand requires your action to move and does not appear to allow you to do long ranged touch attacks anymore.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's all right everybody, you actually need two casters to ace the red dragon

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes but this is Wizard and Skeleton Army alone, Even with the Druid and +10 there is no way the skeleton army is going to be sneaking up on the dragon given it's 26 passive perception. Mage Hand requires your action to move and does not appear to allow you to do long ranged touch attacks anymore.

except the rule posted earlier mentioned the group check rules, so I think there is a decent chance of the skeletons getting into bow range while the necromancer sneaks into touch attack range.

Of course, half the problem here is contagion's ridiculously broken nature, as the fighter could sit there and whack at a dragon until it died if it was under the effects of contagion, it would just take a lot longer.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

No more ghost hand.

A Sorcerer 2 dip could get Distant Spell to give Contagion 30ft range instead of touch and give you a familiar that can make touch spells for you. I mentioned before how a trickster cleric can use their clone as the origin for spells too.. It's still gonna require some hard stealth checks to get that close though.

Fast martials with longbows wreck dragons if they can ever get in a chasing/kiting fight. Having a friendly Moon Druid with the Mobile feat to turn into a quick flying mount might make it too easy, and not even that luck reliant. Or if you really want to do it without spellcasting, just buy a flying mount as a longbow specced martial and go hunting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So what I'm seeing here is that the 28 hit die ancient red dragon cannot (on average) provoke a concentration save with a higher DC than 10 with any attack but its actual, literal breath weapon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheAnomaly posted:

except the rule posted earlier mentioned the group check rules, so I think there is a decent chance of the skeletons getting into bow range while the necromancer sneaks into touch attack range.

Of course, half the problem here is contagion's ridiculously broken nature, as the fighter could sit there and whack at a dragon until it died if it was under the effects of contagion, it would just take a lot longer.

If the necromancer is going to be sneaking off he has to still remain within 60 ft of his skeletosn or they won't shoot those bows. Plus the Dragon will see them before they get too close because it has 26 passive perception the skeleton army won't be able to beat that even with a +10

Ferrinus posted:

So what I'm seeing here is that the 28 hit die ancient red dragon cannot (on average) provoke a concentration save with a higher DC than 10 with any attack but its actual, literal breath weapon.

It does not really matter one round of attacks from the thing will drop a wizard.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember

The issue with this is that you have to touch the dragon to do this. You need to hit with an attack roll and have to be right next to it. In a dragons lair it's unlikely you would be able to get right up to it and outside the dragons lair it will be flying.

Find familiar 1st level wizard spell, familiar can deliver touch attacks for you, just have it run up and you touch attack through it dragon can do poo poo? (Considering it cant react to it moving closer, all it's powerful attack off turn happen at the end of your turn)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

slydingdoor posted:

a trickster cleric can use their clone

What's this build?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Can't you just throw your drat familiar at it? Or have a bat or something that just lands on the dragon beneath its notice?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stormgale posted:

Find familiar 1st level wizard spell, familiar can deliver touch attacks for you, just have it run up and you touch attack through it dragon can do poo poo? (Considering it cant react to it moving closer, all it's powerful attack off turn happen at the end of your turn)

I forgot about something all the stealth poo poo is pretty worthless. It has blindsense it knows if something comes within 60 ft of it. This makes all these plans even more unlikely You would have to move 60 ft up to the thing and hit it with the spell before it gets to act. If it acts the skeleton army vanishes. The familiar also has to beat 20 initiative or else the Dragon can blast it with a magma geyser or toxic cloud.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I forgot about something all the stealth poo poo is pretty worthless. It has blindsense it knows if something comes within 60 ft of it. This makes all these plans even more unlikely You would have to move 60 ft up to the thing and hit it with the spell before it gets to act. If it acts the skeleton army vanishes. The familiar also has to beat 20 initiative or else the Dragon can blast it with a magma geyser or toxic cloud.

Pretty sure I can make a familiar that moves more than 60ft in a round, even if you need to haste it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsterEnvy posted:

It does not really matter one round of attacks from the thing will drop a wizard.

That's not true. Even main turn breath + off turn tail lash x3 isn't going to kill a wizard through stoneskin or similar.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ferrinus posted:

That's not true. Even main turn breath + off turn tail lash x3 isn't going to kill a wizard through stoneskin or similar.

Thats assuming Stone skin is on and Stone skin offers no protection from Fire damage so it's going to need to make a dc 45 check assuming average damage.

Lets check the hp of a 20th level wizard assuming 20 con. 182 that's a pretty good amount the fire will take off half of that and another round of attacks will take out the wizard. At best I see one lasting two turns alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

The dragon cannot kill the army in one round. The army can spread out a fuckton as the Necromancer has to be in range to give commands, not for the skeletons to follow through with those commands. Clearly just give them a time frame in which to do so and the formation and they should be impossible to wipe out with 1 flame blast or a bunch of wing flips.