Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nightmare Zone posted:

I always thought our apartment complex was set up weird and the other night I guess I was right.

Is there really no upright holding up that stairs/landing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you really must know, it was Hotel Red in Madison, WI.

"Madison's #1 Stylish Boutique Hotel"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you really must know, it was Hotel Red in Madison, WI.

What the gently caress. I've lived here for 20 years and never heard of this place.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

I stayed in a hotel recently where the floor, walls, and ceiling were bare concrete. They were trying to play it off as an aesthetic decision but I can't help but think it was an aesthetic decision made on the basis of cost.

Were the floors polished concrete? That can be quite expensive and is extremely fashionable at the moment.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

GreenNight posted:

What the gently caress. I've lived here for 20 years and never heard of this place.

Well, it's only been in existence for about five of those years, if that makes you feel any better.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

HortonNash posted:

Were the floors polished concrete? That can be quite expensive and is extremely fashionable at the moment.

All the bars around me are started to rip up their flooring and use polished concrete.. Mainly because at the end of the night they can open up the hose and have it drain down the slightly sloped floor. Quite handy.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I've read of polished concrete counters recently coming in vogue but I'd think they'd even be more porous than granite...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

I've read of polished concrete counters recently coming in vogue but I'd think they'd even be more porous than granite...

I think the polished concrete is treated to seal any pores in the material

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Indeed which is why it works so well in the bar situation. I don't like the idea of one for a countertop though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Concrete counters are actually surprisingly expensive, too. The stuff has to be completely free of bubbles, perfectly flat and smooth and level across the whole surface, to a much more accurate degree than is typical for poured concrete. And yes, then polished and sealed. It's not quite as expensive as quartz but it's a lot more expensive than laminate, tile, or steel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's surprising. I'm actually heading out to a granite shop to pick out the slab for my new kitchen, but I have yet to see concrete counters anywhere.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

~Coxy posted:

Is there really no upright holding up that stairs/landing?

It's hard to see but there's a support beam right where the stairs meet the walkway.

Between that support and possibly being cantilevered into the building (which we can't see,) it's probably fine, just looks weird.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
We have concrete counter tops. We got them at a lower cost because I've known the contractor for 20 years now and used to baby sit his daughter. The concrete is a very low moisture mix, the pigments are expensive, and the forms have to be built custom for each job. But, you can get any color or shape you can imagine, edge shapes can be built in, and they are pretty much indestructible. The sealer he used is somewhat susceptible to acid and water, but we regularly wax the counters with beeswax and they're developing a pretty nifty patina. If they got badly 'stained', we could sand them down and repolish and they'd be good as new. They're not maintenance free, it takes effort to keep them looking 'perfect', but we like the look and we got an excellent price.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Amykinz posted:

We have concrete counter tops. We got them at a lower cost because I've known the contractor for 20 years now and used to baby sit his daughter. The concrete is a very low moisture mix, the pigments are expensive, and the forms have to be built custom for each job. But, you can get any color or shape you can imagine, edge shapes can be built in, and they are pretty much indestructible. The sealer he used is somewhat susceptible to acid and water, but we regularly wax the counters with beeswax and they're developing a pretty nifty patina. If they got badly 'stained', we could sand them down and repolish and they'd be good as new. They're not maintenance free, it takes effort to keep them looking 'perfect', but we like the look and we got an excellent price.

When I was apartment hunting I visited a condo where the owner had done concrete countertops himself as an amateur. The kitchen had lots of small counter spaces so he didn't have to have L-shaped pieces or try to match finishes between lots of smaller pieces and fit them together, so it was more manageable. It looked very nice. In order to prevent worrying about stains he used pigments that gave it a sort of red-black mottled finish which I kind of liked. If you have a big longer counter space or odd shapes I'd imagine it's a bitch to do yourself though. They aren't reinforced the way structural concrete is, rather it's like 1-2" thick and has nylon or plastic mesh reinforcement just to prevent cracking but they're not strong so putting them in place is delicate work too.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

Munin posted:

"Madison's #1 Stylish Boutique Hotel"

I drive past this every day for work and have always thought it looked ugly as sin. Funny that it came up in this thread.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

GreenNight posted:

That's surprising. I'm actually heading out to a granite shop to pick out the slab for my new kitchen, but I have yet to see concrete counters anywhere.

Concrete is cast in place, so you won't find it in a yard.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

semiavrage posted:

I drive past this every day for work and have always thought it looked ugly as sin. Funny that it came up in this thread.

If you have good pitch, you'll notice that "boutique" and "ugly" often rhyme. They probably came from the same root word.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Brennanite posted:

Concrete nothing, we just had the bare plywood sub floor in our bathroom growing up. Sometime around 1991, my father remodeled the bathroom and never got around to tiling it for another 13(!) years. It would probably still be lacking tile to this day if my mother hadn't insisted it be finished before my wedding.

He finished with 2 days to spare.

My bathroom has been bare concrete since my daughter started taking baths by herself, because young kids plus bath = water everywhere (carpet in a bathroom, really?) She was about, oh, 5? then. She's turning 13 in November. Yeah, I really need to decide what I'm doing in there. At least I removed all the original linoleum that was under the carpet. The tile was easy - the backing and adhesive that remained was a bitch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

My bathroom has been bare concrete since my daughter started taking baths by herself, because young kids plus bath = water everywhere (carpet in a bathroom, really?) She was about, oh, 5? then. She's turning 13 in November. Yeah, I really need to decide what I'm doing in there. At least I removed all the original linoleum that was under the carpet. The tile was easy - the backing and adhesive that remained was a bitch.

You could put down peel and stick vinyl tiles in a few hours for under $40.

It may not be the nicest thing, and you may end up doing a lovely job around the toilet without pulling it......bit it's easy and better than bare concrete.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Motronic posted:

You could put down peel and stick vinyl tiles in a few hours for under $40.

It may not be the nicest thing, and you may end up doing a lovely job around the toilet without pulling it......bit it's easy and better than bare concrete.

I did that for my basement, just for a quick and easy floor. It took about a day of putting tile down and cutting it for the edges. Some tiles came up and had to be replaced, but for the price and how it's held up I'm happy with it.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Give the concrete a polish, it'll be fine. Or tile it whatever.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
My friend does concrete counter tops, they look really nice. They're really cheap too, well relatively. Usually they're glass filled similar to concrete sinks where you need the rigidity of fiberglass reinforcement when you pour less for weight savings.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Any of you know about the assessors that banks hire? I was just told that those assessors are legally bound to not add basements to square footage, regardless if it's finished or not.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's a little bit more complicated than that, but it's basically correct (My house's main entrance is technically below grade, which pissed me the gently caress off when my appraisal came up a bit low, but I wasn't able to convince them to adjust it).

See: https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b4/1.3/05.html#Gross.20Living.20Area

Fake edit: reviewing that definition maybe I should have pushed more.

Real edit: and don't get me started on the appraiser's valuation of bathrooms

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 19, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, drat. Building a house and the bank appraisal is much lower than the building cost because they won't count the finished basement in the appraisal. So they won't loan me the full price of the build.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So this just would be assessed as the top part of the house since the rest is basement and of no value?? Does that work for taxes? No wonder billionaires are all going underground.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Nope, apparently the tax assessor gives the value of the entire property including basement. It's just the banks that say gently caress you.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Not quite no value. My appraiser valued above grade finished area at $40/ft^2, below grade at $15/ft^2 (and below grade unfinished space at $0/ft^2). Above grade, a toilet and sink are worth $2,000, and a shower stall or bathtub is worth $2,000, but below grade both are apparently worthless.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

A buddy showed me this:

Someone is gonna be making GBS threads reverse-cowgirl.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

A buddy showed me this:

wide-stance

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Same setup as my old dorm room except where the wall is, there was the door, opening directly into the common area. The common area was also tiled and contained the bathroom and kitchen, simultaneously.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

A buddy showed me this:

What, you can't bend your knees backwards?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well, the shelf behind the toilet is for your comics and chocolate milk.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It's called "A.C. Slatering" and I believe it was coined by goons in response to the German "poo poo shelf" toilet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I like that you'd have to step over the toilet. Swing a leg over, like you're getting on a horse.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

GreenNight posted:

A buddy showed me this:

Looking at it they could have placed the toilet where the shower is with the bowl pointing towards the door, moved the shower to the middle and have curtains on both sides, and put the sink where the toilet is. Cramped as hell and likely violating several building codes but it kinda might work. Or even not have a curtain between the shower and toilet, put the bowl lid down, and have a shower seat.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

canyoneer posted:

I like that you'd have to step over the toilet. Swing a leg over, like you're getting on a horse.

Side saddle. :getin:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

MH Knights posted:

Looking at it they could have placed the toilet where the shower is with the bowl pointing towards the door, moved the shower to the middle and have curtains on both sides, and put the sink where the toilet is. Cramped as hell and likely violating several building codes but it kinda might work. Or even not have a curtain between the shower and toilet, put the bowl lid down, and have a shower seat.

My grandmother has a weird bathroom not unlike this. There isn't an actual shower stall, there is just a showerhead coming off the wall, and the entire floor is sealed and sloped toward a floor drain in the middle. The toilet is positioned directly under the shower so you could basically sit on it while showering, and there is a curved shower curtain that lets you screen off the shower area from the sink/medicine cabinet so those don't get totally soaked.

I have no idea why it's like that - I assume that it's related to the house being very old and possibly the bathroom being some sort of hacked-together conversion over the years. My sister has a house that was originally built in the 1800s, and the bathroom was originally housed in a weird closet next to the back door (so you have to leave the house to get to it). When someone eventually installed an indoor bathroom, they ended up converting the bedroom above the kitchen, leading to a comically large bathroom compared to the rest of the house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MH Knights posted:

Pull the sink out entirely, raise the toilet 18" for standing, put a step on one side for sitting, put the shower head directly above the whole thing. Congratulations, you now have a shittershowersink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Ashcans posted:

My grandmother has a weird bathroom not unlike this. There isn't an actual shower stall, there is just a showerhead coming off the wall, and the entire floor is sealed and sloped toward a floor drain in the middle. The toilet is positioned directly under the shower so you could basically sit on it while showering, and there is a curved shower curtain that lets you screen off the shower area from the sink/medicine cabinet so those don't get totally soaked.

This is called a "wet room." It's super common in many of the more crowded Asian countries and in ridiculously contemporary designer bathrooms that show up in architecture magazines.