Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Ancillary Justice won because it was the least bad book in a very weak field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cardiovorax posted:

and the winner was this obviously plagiarized?

While I fully grant that her "big idea" of the book (the gender less nature of core structures) was lifted wholesale from Samuel Delany's Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, (or more likely they lifted from the same source - polari and 60s gay subculture). that does not make it a case of plagiarism by any means. Plenty of works have ripped off real world things and used them as their big hook, it's what scifi is famous for. I don't see how Leche was plagiarizing because she used polari as the defining aspect of her hook but Asimov wasn't when he used the fall of Rome for Foundation or Heinlein wasn't when he used the Korean War for Starship Troopers or Stross wasn't when he used Debt for Neptune's Brood

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Peel posted:

Not even the Nebulas? I stand corrected. Maybe I was thinking of the Clarke. Which Ancillary Justice also won.

Yeah, I think the Clarkes are. A few years back there was a minor scandal about publishers not submitting copies of the books for the judges to read and the BSFA or whoever wouldn't pony up for books themselves. I think one of the books was Against the Day, so in that case there surely wasn't much commercial incentive. See, that's a fuckup.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Which Foundation books should I read?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Either Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation or Foundation.

The first is a different sort of beast to the latter two, which are more conventional adventure yarns, and everything after them gets daft.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

systran posted:

Ancillary Justice was okay but I honestly do think it won just because of the gender thing, which wasn't really even made very interesting within the story.

The author called too much attention to it by making the main character remark so often on how much trouble it had dealing with gendered language, especially before saying things which had no apparent gender associated with them (I sure hope I don't mess up this phrase, argh it's so awkward and I don't want to offend anyone by getting the gender wrong...."Yo what's up"). It didn't feel like a natural fit in the world building and it also didn't seem like a thing the character would have actually had any trouble with.

I think it was a decent concept but the execution was really poor.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 18, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I suspended disbelief there by assuming the language they were speaking inflected a lot more based on gender (or maybe a gendered 'you' or whatever) but I agree it just didn't integrate into the story in a meaningful way.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

On the other hand, I finished The Dark Defiles today and have no one with which to discuss it :smith:.

Great book, and a fitting end to the series btw.

Howd you get your hands on this? Its not out until the 14th of october or something

Finished Steel Remains and Cold Commands over the past few days. I really enjoyed them. Ringil is a badass. Any idea what the whole dark gates stuff is about ??

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

spootime posted:

Howd you get your hands on this? Its not out until the 14th of october or something

Ornamented Death posted:

I got an ARC from Net Galley. I've said it before, if you want advanced copies of stuff, just start a review blog and eventually you'll be getting more books than you can possibly read. You probably won't get any of the big names (Butcher, Rothfuss, Sanderson, etc.) unless you can prove you get massive traffic, but you'll still never be wanting for something to read.

Hell, I don't even have a blog and they still let me get this book :).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The gender thing was actually pretty loving brilliant because it's gotten SO much more discussion for the book than it otherwise would have received.

Every post I read about it in this thread before it actually won the Hugo was entirely based on its gender bullshit. Everything I've read about it ANYWHERE, honestly, it was only brought up because of the gender thing. I've never seen any review of it that described it just as a book about a rogue AI seeking revenge on its transhuman master, which is a shame because that's what the book is actually about. The gender stuff is completely unimportant, but nobody would be talking about the book if it wasn't there.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Khizan posted:

The gender thing was actually pretty loving brilliant because it's gotten SO much more discussion for the book than it otherwise would have received.

Sure, but it was a gimmick that didn't add anything to the actual book and stuck out as exactly what it was, a gimmick. If you're really concerned about things like gender issues, I would think it would be extra annoying, because the author got all this attention and did nothing whatsoever with the gender aspect. It could have easily been the ship being incapable of using proper nouns and constantly worrying about how to hold conversations with people without being able to use their names.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think, if I was going to give this book a grade, it'd be a B, or possibly a B+- I'm not sure I needed another Fitz book, but gently caress it- I've been living in this guy's head since I was twelve, at this point I'm up for whatever. The chronological issues, while jarring, ultimately don't harm the narrative all that much- all we really need to know is that Time Has Passed and Bee exists and is nine now. Of course, again, I've never had a great sense of time and if you're the sort of person who gets really loving mad because A Crown of Swords only covers a week then it might be more of a problem for you.

Otherwise, I don't think it's going to appeal to anyone who's not a fan of Hobb's work (I know there're a number of you here), but if you're looking for more of the same, this is it.

I freaking loved it- i thought it would be published much later, so i rushed to buy it when i read this a couple of days ago, and it's another great book.

Yes, i agree that for someone who hasn't read the other trilogies this would probably be very confusing and slow. For me though it was a incredible journey, and goddamit i want the next book.

Also, i continue to be impressed by how well Hobb manages to have different voices from different people. Both Bee and Fitz' voices managed to be very alike but oh so different, both because of age and gender.

Give me a minute to cry for Bee, just finished the book a minute ago.

Rougey posted:

Christ, I just finished reading Fools Assassin.

GRRM might murder everyone you love, but death is too easy for Hobb. She is the Queen of Pain and suffering and I am a masochist.

Cardiac posted:

Hobb is worse than GRRM, since she makes you care for her characters and then she kills them. GRRM just have morally ambigous characters that he kills off in plot twists.
The death of Nighteyes still makes me sad like other deaths of companion animals. Ten thousand men crucified by the road (Deadhouse Gates) don't come close.
Just started reading it and it is with familliar joy and dread I encounter old friends.
Sometimes I feel like the best ending for Fitz was how it ended in the first series.

Yes, GRRM doesn't really make his character suffer, and the deaths are never really that bad. Hobb, otoh, manages to tear my heart in two and then forces me to eat it.

And i better enjoy the meal, too.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 18, 2014

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Arkeus posted:

Yes, GRRM doesn't really make his character suffer

Unless your name (which you must remember) is Theon Greyjoy

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ancillary Justice's only crime is that it's duller than dishwater.

People latch onto the gender stuff in the same way that people said The Matrix was like, really smart and philosophical, guuuyyyyys.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I couldn't get into it, but space opera is incredibly not my thing in the first place. Still think it probably deserved it the most out of the pool of nominees.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

neongrey posted:

I couldn't get into it, but space opera is incredibly not my thing in the first place. Still think it probably deserved it the most out of the pool of nominees.

Yeah, but that whole slate needed to be replaced with other poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hedrigall posted:

People latch onto the gender stuff in the same way that people said The Matrix was like, really smart and philosophical, guuuyyyyys.
Never mind that Banks did it first, twenty-five years ago and like an order of magnitude less obnoxiously. He actually managed to make an interesting commentary on the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis out of it, instead of mediocre tumblr bait.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I haven't read Ancillary yet but I like a lot of people who think it's really good :unsmith:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I really enjoyed Ancillary Justice and I'm glad to see it won the Hugo! I didn't find the gender thing that obtrusive. I remember only two times it was discussed in detail -- once at the very beginning when Breq is sizing up the barfight she's about to get into and another time when she finally arrives on one of the Emperor's home planets and points out the various fashions on display. It seemed wholly believable and was part of the world building. I honestly more or less forgot about it as the book went on. I do agree that it's over-emphasized a bit in reviews and recommendations since the actual story in Ancillary Justice is much more than ruminations on the societal construct that is gender -- there's a lot of debates in the book over both the system of ancillaries, imperialism, and transhumanism that I liked.

I was pretty impressed by both the world building and the characters in the book. Despite the high stakes that drive the book, it did a good job of making relevant and real small scale human conflicts (whether between two people, two societies, or between the Radtch and a to-be colonized planet) and painting them as forming the foundations of larger scale conflicts. The characterization was also a big draw and I got close to both Breq and Seivarden as the book went on, as well as the larger cast of characters even though they only showed up for a scene or two.

It's much less actiony than I thought it'd be going in, but all in all I thought it was a solid book. Not completely sure how the trilogy will bear out, but I'm definitely going to buy the next one when it comes out in October.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Magician's Land Chapter 26 (84%ish) - My god, the final battle of Fillory is one of the most glorious things I've read in a fantasy novel. It's like Pelennor Fields, the "everything gets unleashed" scene from Cabin in the Woods, and JK Rowling's nightmares, all mixed up together :munch:

And Janet is amazing :h:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 19, 2014

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Hedrigall posted:

And Janet is amazing :h:

Yeah, I didn't have a whole lot of use for Janet in the first two books (actually, scratch that, I hated her by the end of the first book), but her story of how she got her axes (and her general conduct in this book) entirely redeemed the character for me. Plus I really loved one of the tiny bits earlier in The Magician's Land where Eliot makes some nice little observation about how he's decided that Janet must think everyone else in the world is as critical and judgmental as her (or something like that) and how that must make the world a really scary place for her. I'm mangling it, but it was one of many really nice little characterizations throughout the book that were just perfect.

I had incredibly high expectations going in to The Magician's Land and Grossman met them all.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The gender stuff in AJ isn't bad, except insofar as we think Breq should have had more mastery of gender distinctions than she did. It's more substantial than the intriguing but unrealised-in-text footnote that was the constructed status of Marain because it actually spends some time with the difficulties a person could have trying to recall and deploy distinctions vitally important in her host society that she wasn't raised to make. But it's still ultimately just a neat worldbuilding detail, so it shouldn't be given too much focus - the book's look at imperialism is more important but less soundbitable. You could probably do a reading comparing the two but I'm not going to reread AJ so soon.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The author called too much attention to it by making the main character remark so often on how much trouble it had dealing with gendered language, especially before saying things which had no apparent gender associated with them (I sure hope I don't mess up this phrase, argh it's so awkward and I don't want to offend anyone by getting the gender wrong...."Yo what's up").

Like Systran said I took this as comments on the non-English language she was speaking - of course the distinctions don't render in English, because English doesn't make those distinctions, just like Radch doesn't make the distinctions English does. It doesn't translate, which is the point. I thought that was made clear in the text but maybe I'm misremembering.

e: my main problem with the response to AJ (beyond the excessive praise) is all the people describing it as 'Banksian' which as I made clear to Cardiovorax I just don't see at all, either as praise or condemnation.

Peel fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 19, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Peel posted:

Like Systran said I took this as comments on the non-English language she was speaking - of course the distinctions don't render in English, because English doesn't make those distinctions, just like Radch doesn't make the distinctions English does. It doesn't translate, which is the point. I thought that was made clear in the text but maybe I'm misremembering.

No, that's obvious and it's part of the problem I have with how that was presented because you need to put more work into describing the context when writing in English. Overall it's a far less interesting view on gendered language and gender roles in society than in Banks' novels and I really don't think it should be as notable a part of the novel as bloggers seem to think.

So yeah I guess that falls in line with the first point in your post. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a knowledgeable character to struggle between saying "el gato" and "la gato" and have people talk about how important that is to the overall work.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 19, 2014

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

So yeah I guess that falls in line with the first point in your post. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a knowledgeable character to struggle between saying "el gato" and "la gato" and have people talk about how important that is to the overall work.

Well you struggled with it, apparently.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Well you struggled with it, apparently.

What?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

el gato, la gata

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Forums posters are not leftover bits of transhuman artificial intelligences.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

From the author of the Revelation Space series comes an interstellar adventure of war, identity, betrayal, and the preservation of civilization itself.

A vast conflict, one that has encompassed hundreds of worlds and solar systems, appears to be finally at an end. A conscripted soldier is beginning to consider her life after the war and the family she has left behind. But for Scur—and for humanity—peace is not to be.

On the brink of the ceasefire, Scur is captured by a renegade war criminal, and left for dead in the ruins of a bunker. She revives aboard a prisoner transport vessel. Something has gone terribly wrong with the ship.

Passengers—combatants from both sides of the war—are waking up from hibernation far too soon. Their memories, embedded in bullets, are the only links to a world which is no longer recognizable. And Scur will be reacquainted with her old enemy, but with much higher stakes than just her own life.

It's a 100-ish page novella, out in June 2015.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Khizan posted:

el gato, la gata

Intentional dude, since I was talking about someone struggling with gendered languages

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I started The Red Knight and enjoy the thesaurusness of it, as well as the real feeling detail with regard to armour, weapons, horses, etc.

But holy crap it takes a weird turn some 20 pages in when the badass protagonist uses his invisibility power (that we didn't know he had) to sneak into a nunnery and make out with a sexy nun in a really creepy, slightly rapey way. :stare:

quote:

The three heads snapped around. Two of the girls turned and ran. The third novice hesitated for a fatal moment—looking. Wondering.
He had her hand. “Amicia?” he said into her eyes, and then put his mouth over hers. Put an armoured leg inside her thighs and trapped her—turned her over his thigh as easily as throwing a child in a wrestling match, and she was in his arms. He rested his back plate against the ledge of the cloister and held her. Gently. Firmly.
She wriggled, catching her falling sleeve against the flange that protected his elbow. But her eyes were locked on his—and huge. She opened her lips. More there than simple fear or refusal. He licked her teeth. Ran a finger under her chin.
Her mouth opened under his—delicious.
He kissed her, or perhaps she kissed him. It was not brief. She relaxed into him—itself a pleasing warmth, even through the hardened steel of his arm harness and breastplate.
Kisses end.
“Don’t take the vows,” he said. “You do not belong here.” He meant to sound teasing, but even in his own head his voice dripped with unintended mockery.
He stood straight and set her on the ground, to show that he was no rapist. She blushed red from her chin to her forehead, again. Even the backs of her hands were red. She cast her eyes down, and then shifted her weight—he watched such things. She leaned forward—
And slammed a hand into his right ear. Taking him completely by surprise. He reeled, his back hit the wall with a metallic thud, and he caught himself—
—and turned to chase her down.
But she wasn’t running. She stood her ground. “How dare you judge me?” she said.
He rubbed his ear. “You mistake me,” he said. “I meant no hard judgement. You wanted to be kissed. It is in your eyes.”
As a line, it had certainly worked before. In this case, he felt it to be true. Despite the sharp pain in his ear.
She pursed her lips—full, very lovely lips. “We are all of us sinners, messire. I struggle with my body every day. That gives you no right to it.”
There was a secret smile to the corner of her mouth—really, no smile at all, but something—
She turned and walked away down the gallery, leaving him alone.

[...]

“That was quick,” said Michael, admiringly, as he emerged. The captain was careful not to do anything as gross as tuck his braes into his hose. Because, had he taken her right there against the cloister wall, he would still have re-dressed meticulously before emerging.
Why didn’t I? He asked himself. She was willing enough.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Alastair reynolds' books have possibly the most generic scifi cover art i have ever seen.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I can also only think of a few examples where the cover is even tangentially related to the story. By which I mean the ship and the planet on the cover resemble anything described. Because it's always a ship and a planet.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

Never mind that Banks did it first, twenty-five years ago and like an order of magnitude less obnoxiously. He actually managed to make an interesting commentary on the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis out of it, instead of mediocre tumblr bait.

I'm trying to think of a more pretentious post that could have made the same points, but I don't think I can. I feel like we have enough material at this point for a Cardiovorax post bingo game. We get it, really, you think Ancillary Justice, Hugo Award winner, was not an original work or interesting to you. Please stop haranguing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Velius posted:

I'm trying to think of a more pretentious post that could have made the same points, but I don't think I can. I feel like we have enough material at this point for a Cardiovorax post bingo game. We get it, really, you think Ancillary Justice, Hugo Award winner, was not an original work or interesting to you. Please stop haranguing.

But haranguing is fun!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Eh, it was a decent book but it was no Lord of Light or Ringworld or The Dispossessed or even Stand on Zanzibar.

Honestly I'm disappointed that the Wheel of Time didn't get the nod. For all of its many faults, it shaped the genre, and that's what I expect from a Hugo winner. Ancillary Justice seemed . . interesting, sure, but not something that I'm ever going to re-read.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Kind of a shame Six-Gun Snow White didn't win best novella: it was really fantastic. I wonder if it would've had a better shot if it had a more 'serious' title.

So what would you all have liked to have seen nominated for a Hugo instead? Not being snarky, I think it was a really weak field and am curious. I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar, but I already like it way more than I liked Ancillary Justice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Megazver posted:

But haranguing is fun!
It really is. Sometimes it's just really satisfying to be pointlessly viciously spiteful at something.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Forums posters are not leftover bits of transhuman artificial intelligences.

You post in the forum you've got, not the forum you wish you had.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It really is. Sometimes it's just really satisfying to be pointlessly viciously spiteful at something.

Actually, calling the gender thing in Ancillary Justice tumblr bait is pretty spot on. I didn't have a concise way of saying how I felt about that, but you hit it. I didn't read any of the others nominated for the Hugo, but from descriptions, I'd still have picked Ancillary Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I was totally fine with Wheel of Time being nominated as a complete work, but couldn't in good faith give the nod to a series that spent so long being so bad. And some of its influence I regard as strongly negative. Here's A Song of Ice and Fire turned bloated and meandering right on schedule, and there's Kvothe needing money again, and over there's Branderson's epic fantasy series, already planned to be ten thousand-page books.

I didn't have time to try A Stranger in Olondria before the voting hit, if it's better than AJ I'll have to try it next.