Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Lol, David Gregory was such poo poo at Meet the Press he's out at NBC all together.

They paid him $4 mil severance too.

Uhm guys, these are not things to be proud of...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

They paid him $4 mil severance too.

Uhm guys, these are not things to be proud of...

We’re never going to have space travel. What’s more, no extraterrestrials will ever land on Earth—at least, any more.

I’m not just being a pessimist. As a matter of fact, space travel is possible; extraterrestrials have landed. I know that. Space ships are crisscrossing space among a million worlds, probably, but we’ll never join them. I know that, too. All on account of a ridiculous error.

I’ll explain.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Is gunfighting actually a thing that still happens? The phrase makes me think of Spaghetti Western duels or Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

5th Ward Houston, yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

This isn't the chess scene, how could you not link the chess scene. :saddowns: Also, you should probably add a NWS tag to that.

Chess is a metaphor for drug deals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmryAVUoL8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yo is youtube loving up + slow as hell for anyone else today?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

Yo is youtube loving up + slow as hell for anyone else today?

Youtube has been acting up (slow speed, videos stopping loading around a third in) for me for the last few weeks.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

First Bass posted:

Is gunfighting actually a thing that still happens? The phrase makes me think of Spaghetti Western duels or Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton.

Every real american wishes to get in a gun fight where both sides have unnecessary amounts of ammo to compliment their horrible aim. The hero will be the one who manages to jump behind the couch first.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
http://revolution-news.com/banker-said-portuguese-dont-want-work-prefer-subsidies-wrecks-bank-bank-gets-subsidies/

revolution-news is a bitching url

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i'm from texas and wouldn't shoot even the worst posters on this forum

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

i'm from texas and wouldn't shoot even the worst posters on this forum

i'm from buenos aires and i say kill em all

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If any of you trespass on my property I reserve my right under the Constitution to drop you into a box filled with scorpions

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

paranoid randroid posted:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Agreed, everyone should listen to more early 80s thrash. :rock:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

i've seen a lot of that puffin's work and he's kind of a dick

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was the officer's story that he shot Michael Brown six times including in the hands and forearms because he had his hands raised because that's what the autopsy said.

The reddit subforum where those advice animals get posted had to ban the puffin because it just became "racist bird thoughts"

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How do you know he wasn't a sorceror? I'm tired of all this jumping to conclusions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that America is more racist now than it was in the 1990s.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
what kind of scrub sorceror doesnt have Deflect Missiles up at all times. does not check out.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

I think that America is more racist now than it was in the 1990s.

https://vimeo.com/76301560

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bro that's an hour and a half

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Bro that's an hour and a half
Everything's bigger in Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My dad used to own a restaurant in Vidor and one time a literal KKK charter bus drove by and one of the employees threw a lemon at the bus, so they stopped and milled around the restaurant and were generally menacing. My dad's business partner wanted him to call the KKK and smooth things over but he was like "I have no idea how to get in touch with the KKK".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
on an unrelated note, Racist Bird Thoughts is the name of my next album.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I really don't want to brave the depths of the Ferguson/Brown thread for this question, but I noticed that a lot of people complained about the police witholding the identity of the shooter. Is it customary for the police in the US to reveal the name of potential criminals to the public before the prosecution decides whether they have enough evidence to initiate a trial?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

on an unrelated note, Racist Bird Thoughts is the name of my next album.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Randler posted:

I really don't want to brave the depths of the Ferguson/Brown thread for this question, but I noticed that a lot of people complained about the police witholding the identity of the shooter. Is it customary for the police in the US to reveal the name of potential criminals to the public before the prosecution decides whether they have enough evidence to initiate a trial?

No, that was entirely appropriate. The difficulty of that discourse(not the thread, the general public discussion of the event) is that a whole bunch of different criticisms of police actions, some valid and some not, are getting jumbled together.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
@ProBirdRights is the god of twitter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

@ProBirdRights is the god of twitter

He raises many good points.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I've been having kind of a lousy day (not terrible, just frustratingly tedious), but this pretty much instantly lightened my mood. Well done.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hey guys so everyone knows Kurt Vonnegut owns but I just read God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater and it's hilarious how nothing changes.

Scene: the protagonist is talking to his father:

quote:

"...I think it's a heartless government that will let one baby be born owning a big piece of the country, the way I was born, and let another baby be born without owning anything. The least a government could do, it seems to me, is to divide things up fairly among the babies. Life is hard enough, without people having to worry themselves sick about money, too. There's plenty for everybody in this country, if we'll only share more."

"And just what do you think that would do to incentive?"

"You mean fright about not getting enough to eat, about not being able to pay the doctor, about not being able to give your family nice clothes, a safe, cheerful, comfortable place to live, a decent education, and a few good times? You mean shame about not knowing where the Money River is?"

"The what?"

"The Money River, where the wealth of the nation flows. We were born on the banks of it--and so were most of the mediocre people we grew up with, went to private schools with, sailed and played tennis with. We can slurp from that mighty river to our hearts' content. And we even take slurping lessons, so we can slurp more efficiently."

"Slurping lessons?"

"From lawyers! From tax consultants! From customers' men! We're born close enough to the river to drown ourselves and the next ten generations in wealth, simply using dippers and buckets. But we still hire the experts to teach us the use of aqueducts, dams, reservoirs, siphons, bucket brigades, and the Archimedes' screw. And our teachers in turn become rich, and their children become buyers of lessons in slurping."

"I wasn't aware that I slurped."

Eliot was fleetingly heartless, for he was thinking angrily in the abstract. "Born slurpers never are. And they can't imagine what the poor people are talking about when they say they hear somebody slurping. They don't even know what it means when somebody mentions the Money River. When one of us claims that there is no such thing as the Money River I think to myself, "My gosh, but that's a dishonest and tasteless thing to say."

"It's still possible for an American to make a fortune on his own."

"Sure--provided somebody tells him when he's young enough that there is a Money River, that there's nothing fair about it, that he had drat well forget about hard work and the merit system and honesty and all that crap, and get to where the river is. 'Go where the rich and the powerful are,' I'd tell him, 'and learn their ways. They can be flattered and they can be scared. Please them enormously or scare them enormously, and one moonless night they will put their fingers to their lips, warning you not to make a sound. And they will lead you through the dark to the widest, deepest river of wealth ever known to man. You'll be shown your place on the riverbank, and handed a bucket all your own. Slurp as much as you want, but try to keep the racket of your slurping down. A poor man might hear.'"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Was the officer's story that he shot Michael Brown six times including in the hands and forearms because he had his hands raised because that's what the autopsy said.

The reddit subforum where those advice animals get posted had to ban the puffin because it just became "racist bird thoughts"

The officer's story is that Brown punched him in the face then reached inside the car to grab his gun. He also says the gun went off in the car, but the police haven't shown any bullet holes in the car yet.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

The officer's story is that Brown punched him in the face then reached inside the car to grab his gun. He also says the gun went off in the car, but the police haven't shown any bullet holes in the car yet.

The cops are basically full of poo poo and the only people who say the evidence corroborates with their story are those who think "is black" and "took pictures of himself looking tough because that's what literally every teenage boy in the world does" are punishable by death. Also that the eyewitness who saw the shooting doesn't count because he is also a black teenager.

e: How much you wanna bet that if they stick with the "punched a cop in the face" story there will be zero evidence of bruising on the cop's face that night, or that they'll have "lost" all the pictures that totally show he was hosed up, guys.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

I don't know, but I take it you like it? Is it worth getting Prime for? I've been thinking of getting Prime for a while anyway and this might be the tipping point.

Also, on an unrelated topic, the GDR national anthem is really pretty, and I kind of wish Germany had kept it after the reunification, instead of the Deutschlandlied.

Alpha House is funny, moreso if you follow politics. Prime is worth it without Alpha House. (Get 4 friends and go in together on a "family" account. Your accounts are separate, Amazon never checks, and you get 2 day shipping for $17 a person for the year. Worth it for Christmas alone)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Defenestration posted:

Alpha House is funny, moreso if you follow politics. Prime is worth it without Alpha House. (Get 4 friends and go in together on a "family" account. Your accounts are separate, Amazon never checks, and you get 2 day shipping for $17 a person for the year. Worth it for Christmas alone)

Dayum, all right! Thanks for the heads-up!

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 19, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shear Modulus posted:

Hey guys so everyone knows Kurt Vonnegut owns but I just read God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater and it's hilarious how nothing changes.

Scene: the protagonist is talking to his father:

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is ironically better than Slaughterhouse 5. :colbert:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Winner is Jew posted:

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is ironically better than Slaughterhouse 5. :colbert:

Breakfast of Champions is his best work and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Breakfast of Champions is his best work and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

The only things of Vonnegut's I've read are Slaughterhouse-5 and Breakfast of Champions, and I thought the latter was superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This debate is intractable- what does DnD think was Vonnegut's worst work?

• Locked thread